JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin?

Before I was born again from above, I was chained to "the world, the flesh and the devil", unable to escape and unable to resist the pull to do, say, or think the wrong thing. Sometimes sheer will power helped me, but that wasn't "being set free"...it was the flesh winning a minor skirmish of some sort.

When the Lord came to live within me, His shed blood on the cross of Calvary "broke, demolished, removed" all bondage and enslavement to sin. Now I have a choice and the power (when I call upon Him to do so....He never forces His will on us) to resist sin.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

It's His Holy Spirit Who is the power source. When I rely on my flesh to resist, I will fail because my flesh was not and is not equipped to defeat Satan. It's the Blood which defeated him. When I call upon His power, victory over the temptation comes.

I read a Daily Bread devotion years ago which helped me as a new believer "get" this concept. It spoke about a little girl finally understanding this, and she told her Mother, "Now when Satan knocks at the door, I send Jesus to answer!".....that sentence stayed with me, and reminds me if I'm about to rely on "will power" to resist, that it's time to ask Jesus to intervene. He never fails!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

We are no longer slaves to sin. Our eyes have been "opened", and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we can resist temptations. From we were set free, the Holy Spirit came into us. The Holy Spirit is our daily guidance to keep us from going astray. We do not want to live the old life again.

• 6 months later...

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin?Sin had us captive, blind and bound. When Jesus died He paid the punishment for our sins, when we receive that forgiveness we are freed from the grip of sin.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? As humans, we tend to go back to sin, the sinful nature, we need reminders, power and cleansing from the Holy Spirit to maintain a pure walk in freedom from sin.

Exposition

• 1 month later...

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? We have the tool of repentance.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? He will guide us through all truths, He will help us to pray when we do not know what to say, He is available at all times waiting for our invitation: Ask, Seek, Knock and we shall receive. It is like an air pump on a bike trail, low tire, pump will help; you must access.

I could write a very long story about myself; I won't today. The Eagle is a very strong clue. Have a great Christ- :D filled weekend.

Exposition

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

We are powerless and there is nothing we can do to set ourselves free from the slavery of sin that is why we need Jesus to make the ultimate sacrifice and pay for our sins.

We need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom because he is our counselor, teacher, and standby. He will guide us and map out the road for us because he is smarter than we are. He will lead us into all truth.

Thank You Holy Spirit for being our teacher.

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

Jesus went to the slave market with one purpose on his mind, that is, to buy us back from the slavery of sin. Since we have been bought with a special price of his shed blood we are no longer under the slavery of sin. We are set free from slavery of sin. Satan is no longer our master. Jesus is our new master. His our Lord and Savior.

We need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom because we are still prone to the flesh. The Holy Spirit is smarter than we are and he knows the way. He will guide us through this valley of darkness so that we do not slip our feet into slavery of sin. He will teach and lead us into the Truth. He will counsel us when we go astray and will convict us of sin. He knows the way and the perfect tour guide in our lives.

Holy Spirit, go to work on our behalf.

Thank You Holy Spirit.

We have been set free from the bondage or slavery to sin in the sence that Christ paid the penalty for our sin by dying in our place. In the same vein, we are crucified with him by putting to death our members and are risen with him through baptism with water.

Nevertheless, we need the power of the Holy Spirit to be able to overcome temtation to yield to sin again.

• 2 weeks later...

Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

We are released form the bondage of sin because Christ paid the debt in full.....we no longer have to worry and fret....because He wiped the slate clean that day on Calvary. The Holy Spirit is our Conforter and keeps us drawn close to the heartbeat of God...with Him we are able to be empowered and walk with Christ.

After we have been set free, Satan continues to try and entice us back into sin.

The Holy Spirit is now our guide, and guides us into righteousness step by step. When we do sin, we can repent and ask Jesus' forgiveness, and He has promiced to forgive us every time. Praise God.

:wub:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Feel free to share stories of how Christ has freed you.

The Law gave strength to sin, which enhanced the power of the flesh. But through Christ Jesus shed blood an redemptive actions we are no longer in Bondage to the Law or Sin but we are now Slaves of Jesus and through the Spirit which Changes our Heart gives us power over sin and we are abled to please God through the Spirit . In which we will be doing the things contained in the Law from the heart from the inside out. The Love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost, giving us the ability to Love God with all of our heart, soul, minds and strength and to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments,

• 2 years later...

I have placed my life in God's Hands.  He is mold me and tempering me daily.  Jesus died for my sins.  I sin daily and need forgiveness.  I ask for forgiveness many times a day.  We do not sin on purpose, it happens or it does with me.  I try and even when I begin to get upset I pray a Bible verse.  My husband has advanced cancer.  I have secondary progressive MS.  Nothing either of us can do.  We have place ourselves in God's Hands and He will do what is best.  We will accept any decision that he makes for us.  Our worries, cares, and our finances we give to him.  We do our part.  We pay our bills, tithe, give to missions and help the poor.  God makes it work for us.  As long as we trust, serve and worship him Satan will take a back seat.  Once we let fears or doubts in Satan takes over. 

• 10 months later...

When we decided to believe in Jesus and to ask Him to save us from ourselves, literally, we were set free from our sins. However, we as humans have a very hard time resisting temptation. We tend to forget how we are to live properly. We give in too much. The Holy Spirit was fiven to each of us to help us by being a guide. He does not remove our free will, but He gives a clue to right from wrong actions. He is like our inner voice telling us what is correct in most situations. It is up to us to listen to Him.

Christ has saved me in a tremendous way. After my head injury, I was trying to be what everyone was telling me that I was or who I was. I could not really decide from right and wrong. I was really confused. Suicide was thought of more than once. But by the grace of God, my world was turned upside down. I found out that my past does not matter. It only matters in the here and now. If I give this moment my all and live in the light of Jesus, I am a person of God. If I do good, I am a pleasure for God. Sure, I find it hard but I know that if I back slide, God will be there for me. As long as I ask for forgiveness with a repenting heart, it will come my way. I will find that my heart feels lighter. As long as I ask for help, God will put me back on the right path.

• 3 weeks later...

Since Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, man has been disobedient to God our Creator, man has chosen to follow the worldly way of living. Satan crept in to entice us of the ways that are not pleasing or seeking the Creator of all things. God only wants our true love and to be obedient to him by giving him praise and worship. Satan wants our praise and worship, but his ways are eternal separation from God. Christ came to bring us the truth and suffered in our stead for our transgressions. After Christ ascension  into Heaven God sent the Holy Spirit to dwell on our heart and spirit. Without his power to assist us to over come our evil ways we would fail to please God and spread his truth. By the Holy Spirit we are sealed and set free from the bondage of sin. We naturally obey the commandments of God also because he has written them in our hearts and mind.      

• 5 months later...

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Feel free to share stories of how Christ has freed you.

We have beem set free from slavery to sin by Jesus shedding His precious blood on the cross for our sins.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The Holy Spirit keeps us in formation with God. The Holy Spirit will convict us if we sin and do anything that is against God's will; therefore, we must ask for immediate forgiveness if we sin. We have a closer relationship with the Lord because of the Holy Spirit.

Feel free to share stories of how Christ has freed you.

I was a massive sinner most of my life. Then in 2014, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and was baptized by immersion to wash clean all my years of sinning. Now I have His Holy Spirit liiving inside of me. I can actually hear the Holy Spirit talking to me when He either wants to tell me something I am doing wrong, or that I need to do this or that to stay right with God. He even tells me not to worry when I am having bad anxiety attacks or any other major problems It's a wonderful feeling. I just wished I wouldn't have been so foolish and gotten saved a lot earlier in life.

• 6 months later...

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

Jesus set us free completely, forever. The Holy Spirit is our teacher who teaches us how to keep this freedom.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As children of God, we have been given the gift of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. This is God in us to give us His power to overcome the power of sin and to guide us to live for Him, to become like Christ.  Now we can draw others to Him by His power.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2003 at 7:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because Jesus Christ killed the flesh when He was crucified, and then was resurrected to eternal life in the Spirit.  We don’t have to feel bad about sinning, we can’t help it, it’s in our nature and God knows that.  We were bought for a price by Jesus Christ, He owns us but He’s a great master in that He still gives us free will, the devil would never do that he makes his people slaves by fear.  We need the Holy Ghost to keep our freedom because we will be spirit also after our flesh dies, and He guides us through life.