JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. The Fear of God

:wub: Yes, a fear of God is healthy because God is worthy of respect and He should be feared reverently for who He is, He us sovereign. He deserves the utmost respect from us.

Fear of God is unhealthy when you live in terror of God's judgment. If you fear Him in that way, you lack faith in your God who loves you. It becomes instead a fear factor that constrain you rather than a faith factor that sustain you.

God is our Father who loves us dearly and want what's best for us. Our fear is not a carnal fear that the unsaved have of judgment, but a fear that is in reverence and respect for our King. We are in awe of His supreme power and majesty because we love Him and desire to please Him because of it.

• 3 months later...

Q5. (Hebrews 12:25-29)

Is a fear of God healthy?

If so, how?

When does fear of God become unhealthy?

How does the fear of God fit with 1 John 4:18?

Yes we need to fear God, but this is more out of reverence. We respect Him for who He is

• 2 months later...

Q5. (Hebrews 12:25-29) Is a fear of God healthy? If so, how? When does fear of God become unhealthy? How does the fear of God fit with 1 John 4:18?

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, Proverbs 1 vs 7. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, Proverbs 9 vs 10. Better is a little with the fear of the Lord, than great treasure with trouble, Proverbs 15 vs 16, The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, Proverbs 15 vs 33. These are verses from one book of the Bible telling us to have fear of the Lord, so yes it is healthy to have fear of the Lord. If one has fear of the Lord it shows that they are starting to get knowledge of the Lord, which leads to wisdom, understanding, obedience. As we learn of the Lord we see His love for us and that takes away the fear. One is not obedient with the Lord because of fear, but because one has grown in knowledge of Him, we see His love thru His works and words. When one does not see the love the Lord has for us the fear becomes unhealthy. This would be a fear that one is watching for you to do something wrong, make one mistake and wham! He got ya. The fear of God fits in because once you learn of God and you start to understand Him you see that there is no fear in love, that Gods love casts out all fear. B)

• 7 months later...

YES, we should fear the consequences of a life that is in rebellion, a life that opposes the will and plan of God.

Fear of God becomes unhealty when we are so terrified that what we do may not comply with the will of God - so we do none of the things that we are commanded to do or are required to do as servant of teh Lord.

God has demonstrated that His love for us is perfect in what Jesus did in the act of redemption - proving that God seeks not to punish us but to perfect us in Him. . .

John 3:16-18 (NLT)

16 For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

17 God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

18 There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in Gods one and only Son.

John 15:9-17 (NLT)

9 [b]I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love.

10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Fathers commandments and remain in his love.

11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!

12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.

13 There is no greater love than to lay down ones life for ones friends.

14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesnt confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.

16 You didnt choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.

17 This is my command: Love each other. [/b]

B)

• 5 months later...

Q5. (Hebrews 12:25-29) Is a fear of God healthy? If so, how? When does fear of God become unhealthy? How does the fear of God fit with 1 John 4:18?

Answer:

1. Is a fear of God healthy?

In a sense ,YES.

2. If so, how?

In AWE AND REVRENCE,AND RESPECT.

3.When does fear of God become unhealthy?

IT BECOMES UNHEALTHY,WHEN YOU LACK KNOWLEDGE AND REVELATION ON GOD

• 2 months later...

Yes, if it is reverential fear. Respectful, awe-inspired fear is good. Respect God for the Father and Creator that He is. Beware of the fact that God can and will destroy both body and spirit in hell for those who refuse to repent. We can not escape punishment, no matter how hard we try, or how far we run. That is unhealthy fear.

• 3 months later...

1) Yes, the fear of God is healthy if you look at it as reverance to God.

2) Fear of God becomes unhealthy if you live in terror of God.

3) The fear of God fit with 1 John 4:18 because it tells us we should have no fear of God because He loves us.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think the fear of God is healthy. Because the fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge. Fear implies respect, awe, and at times knee-knocking terror. It also acknowledges that everything, including knowledge and wisdom, comes from total dependence on God. The fear of the Lord leads people toward humility and away from pride. Fear of the Lord recognizes God's central place in the order of the world. God is the Creator and Master of all things. Those who fear the Lord receive wisdom because they begin to understand that everyting is under God's rule and in his service. This is more than just an attitude, it is a way of living that takes into account God's power and authority and our ultimate accountavbility to Him. The fear of God becomes unhealthy when we start to turn away from Him. When we go or do things our way. When we loose the respect and love for the gospel. 1 John 4:18 is saying that there is no fear in the love of God. About mature love marked by confidence in the face of judgment. The love that builds confidence also banishes fears. Fear involves torment or punishment, a reality the children of God will never experience, because we are forgiven. Christians practice love because God, who indwells in us, is the essence of love, because we desire to imitate the supreme example of God's sacrifical love in sending His Son for us, because love is the heart of Christian witness.

• 8 months later...

I believe fear of God is not healthy but, awe in respect for who He is and His awesome wonder is healthy. Fear becomes unhealthy when it turns to terror because God is not to be feared in such a manner; for He did not give us a spirit of fear. We are to think of God’s love for us because He loves His creation. When we think of His perfect love for us it helps us overcome fear and gives us confidence of His love.

• 1 year later...

It is very healthy to fear God. We are to respect Him and do as he says in the bible. If we follow His commands that is fearing God.

The fear of God becomes unhealthy when we don’t do anything because we are afraid that we would offend God if we did. We cannot go into hiding because we fear God. If we love God and are doing the things that He says then we will have no fear.

• 2 years later...

Hebrews 12:25-29, the fear of God is healthy, we know that our God is a consuming fire, we must take obedience seriously and fear the consequences of rebellion.

When fear of God becomes unhealthy then we are no longer living in faith, but in fear of what God may do to us by torment.

Fear of God does not fit in with 1 John 4:18, for there is no fear in love; but perfect love cast out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love, for we love Him because He first loved us  

• 4 years later...

Yes because in truth when we choose to fear it is a reverent fear that we have of Him. We are learning to trust Him through this fear of God. Unhealthy fear is when you believe that God hates you and will discipline you continually for everything you do wrong. It fits in with it through the fact that the person no longer is fearful of the Lord's judgment anymore.

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes. Fearing the consequences of rebellion toward God is wise. Eternal damnation is terrifying and rightly so.

Unhealthy fear would prevent us from approaching God's throne with confidence. Would cause separation from God instead of causing us to draw close to God.