JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 27

On August 18, 2007 at 10:46 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

David desires to be close to God in all places and in all circumstances.  David wants a close, personal relationship with God.  As we all do.  We want to be in close relationship.  We want to be with God, be in his prescence.  We do not want to be apart from our Lord.  To be apart from him would be separation that would leave us out there on our own.  Nothing to seek when we are in trouble, no one to praise when we are happy.  David pointed that we have hope.  Our hope comes from when we wait for our answers from God.  Our hope is in the waiting.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The house of the Lord for David is a rich expression of having an intimacy with the Lord' a friendship that he can "come round to His house" , knowing that He will always be welcome. That God has time for him. Even his own parents may not have had that, as David was out in the field when Samuel came, they didn't think to have him there. They may have not much time with a large family to have much time and energy for the last son. 

But David is confident that God is not like that, that they have a close friendship, and it is this relationship that he knows he can draw on in times of trouble. That God will "come through" for him.

His hope at the end comes by spending time , waiting for God. It means He trusts, which is what we have to do when we are waiting, which has been his experience from being a youngster.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

I believe it means that David desires to be in the presence of the Lord always. He would rather spend his time praying or talking to God than be anywhere else. David’s greatest desire was to be near God and have a closer relationship with Him. His heart and soul yearned after God like a deer pants after water. Having a deep and personal relationship with God was vital to his spiritual welfare and to ours. The more time we spend with the Lord the stronger we become. It is only when we spend time talking to the Lord and reading His Word that we learn what it is He wants us to do. We begin to know him more and understand Him better. For myself I wish I had the kind of relationship that David had. He longed to be with God more than he wanted the things of the world. God was foremost in his heart, mind and life.

I believe seeking God’s face means seeking to talk to Him and see Him like Abraham and Moses did. It means seeking His very presence more than seeking what He can give us. David wanted a close and personal relationship with Him. Like the apostle Paul he wanted to know God fully and to be more like Him. This desire drove him to seek out God more and spend more time with Him.

I believe David provides hope at the end by saying to himself and others that God would come through in his lifetime. God would come through when he most needed it. He encourages himself and others by telling us to wait on God and be strong. To take heart and not to give up and to wait expectantly or with hope. Trust in God and He will come through for us; He is our hope.

I believe it means to trust and rely on God during hard times. According to my Bible from David Jeremiah, it says that David dealt with his fear and trouble, he looked to his confidence and his salvation - God. When believers encounter trouble and put worshipping God as the center(one thing) of their lives, He lifts their heads and hearts. Seeing the greatness of Almighty God changes one’s perspective of trouble. (2013 Jeremiah, D.) From what I get from the study notes on those first six verses King David longed to be close to the Lord at all times. He longed for closeness and had a heart after God’s own heart. He sought God daily and earnestly like only He could. Even as a King he chose to be a man after God’s own heart. When it comes to seeking His face it means seeking His presence, counsel, and fellowship and doing it in humble submission realizing that he is truly dependent on His provision daily and that he needs to wait for God and do whatever God asks him to do. (2013 Jeremiah, D.)

I believe He gives hope at the end of the psalm by saying we must wait on the Lord and that He will strengthen our hearts as we wait.

Jeremiah, D. 2013 David Jeremiah NKJV Study Bible

• 11 months later...

God cannot be contained in a place or a building. The psalmists knew that, but when they say to dwell in the house of the Lord, it is a metaphor to express the idea of being very close to the Lord at all times. God doesn't move away from us. We are the ones who wander away from the Lord. Bible says He's near to those who call upon Him. So as the psalmists, we too should desire to dwell in His presence, to remain where the water spout of His blessings flow, and to have our leash so small that even when we wander away from His presence, we will be drawn back to Him at the earliest. This will enable us to experience the presence of the Lord continually in our lives. It is in His presence there is joy forevermore. He is our stronghold and it is in Him that we can experience safety and security. 

To seek His face is to have the privilege of having an audience of the Lord. When the Lord lifts up His countenance upon us there is favor in our lives. Divine favor is all we need and that we need to seek after. This was one of the element of Aaronic blessing. The Lord make His face shine upon us. Today's Christianity is more of seeking His hands, rather than seeking His face. The Lord has given each and every Christian the highest calling we can ever have - to seek His face and worship Him in the beauty of His holiness. 

According to the Jewish legend, David was forsaken by his father and mother to dwell away from them. But even then, he sought the face of the Lord and was assured that the Lord will receive him. Even though he is yet to see, he is confident that he will surely see the Lord's goodness upon his life. I like what KJV says on this... Wait on the Lord, rather than wait for the Lord. Wait on the Lord gives the impression of how the waiters wait on their clients in restaurants. They wait expectantly anticipating their client's needs. How we need to wait on the Lord, to please Him, to make His heart happy, by just our waiting expectantly in His presence. 

• 1 year later...

Psalm 27 - Your Face, Lord, I Will Seek

Q1. (Psalm 24) What does it mean that David desires, “to dwell in the house of the Lord?”

It means that David knew the best place to be in good times and bad is in communion with and next to God.

It means David sought and had faith that in God’s house (or where God resides —e.g. everywhere) was a safe and secure place next because God 

was his protector.

What does it mean to “seek his face”?  

It means to search for, to desire, to intentionally do all one can to be walking with God, talking with God, living a life each moment of every day

that is pleasing to God. It means to seek a fellowship, communion, or intimacy with God.

How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

He reminds himself what he knows to be true and he states it back to God.  He expresses his faith by saying, “I believe I shall look upon the goodness

of the Lord”.

He tells himself to be patient and not give in to his emotions or his circumstances.  Wait — be patient — be strong — be courageous.

• 3 years later...

What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? David's heart yearns for the presence of God to be with him in all that he does as he go about his daily tasks. David's desire to dwell in the house of God also represents his pursuit of God's heart in surrender to the will and purpose of God for his life.

What does it mean to "seek his face"? Seeking God's face is really seeking God's heart in surrender, trust and obedience. This is a heart posture which reflects a holy reverence and fear of God, giving Him full control over carnal desires. Allowing God to align our desires to His good and perfect plan for us. I am reminded of Numbers 6:25 which says "The Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you". God's face is light which symbolizes His approval and direction which He gives those who surrender their own will to Him.

How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm? David encourages patience and trust in God that He will never forsake us but remains our salvation always.  

• 2 months later...

I love it that "dwelling in the house of the Lord" is a metaphor for drawing ever-closer to Him. It's a plea to know Him better, more intimately, to have a real relationship with God I pray this often.

I don't see much difference between "seeking His face" and "dwelling in the house of the Lord." Both are expressions that describe David's desire to be very, very close to God. 

Like David, at this very moment, I am being pursued by "enemies." It's difficult, to say the least. My stomach is in knots and I'm struggling to believe, against all logic and reason, that God WILL rescue me. Verses 11/2 mean a lot right now -- "...lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors .. (who are) false witnesses ... breathing out violence."

I am, and have been, clinging to this very verse: "I am confident I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living ... wait for the Lord."

To me, this means I'll be rescued -- even vindicated -- in my lifetime, not after death; "in the land of the living." I need to wait. Just wait. In strength and trust. And be confident (trusting) that God will show His benevolent, loving side to me and that my suffering will finally end. 

I do not think it is coincidence that this verse was today's lesson. It feels as if God is telling me that I'm praying correctly, that the verse I pray to God so fervently is the one that He will honour.

"Do not hide your face from me ..." Please, Lord, do not hide your face as I wait to see your goodness.