JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 27

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"?

Be close to, be in His presence, hang out with Him rather then be off alone on his own agenda. I think of the word "abide" from John chapter 15 that results in fruit, answered prayer, glorification of the Father, joy, fellowship. I also think of how Jesus came to "dwell/tabernacle/camp out" with us (John 1:14) to that we cane see the glory of the Father, His grace and truth.

What does it mean to "seek his face"?

This is a desire to be face to face with the LORD for the purpose of fellowship, interaction, direction, comfort, admonishment for the purpose of sanctification.

How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

David has that confidence of expectant faith that the LORD will be his Light, Salvation, Rock and therefore is strengthened in this confidence and encouraged to persevere.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI. Thee is so much STRENGTH and HOPE in "waiting for the LORD." and how nice to clarify that "the house of the LORD is a closeness and intimacy, and not, necessarily a building.

We sisters learned in a James Bible study to have JOY :P in all trials as trials and sufferings purify our faith (which is worth more than gold.) and here, in psalm 27 David reminds me that there is JOY and HOPE and STRENGTH in the waiting for the LORD, not so, as the world would deceive us, in the "getting" of something else

What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"?

I think that dwelling in the house of the Lord means that I stay away from people, places, and things that may be alluring and tempting but are not of God. I may not do this perfectly but the Lord knows when that is the desire of my heart. I can always turn and run into his strong powerful arms when I am tempted by the enemy.

I think that seeking his face means that we can turn to God for reassurance . Just as a baby looks toward his parents to see if what he is doing is going to be harmful or not, we must trust that God will do the same for us and turn to Him often throughout the day.

David provides hope by encouraging us and givng us confidence to be brave and courageous while we patiently wait for his will to be revealed.

If God had a "house", to dwell with Him would be to live with Him. He would be a part of our every day life. He would be included in our plans our decisions. We would always be mindful of his presence with us.

Dwelling in the house of God, to me, speaks of safety. It is a safe place to be.

What does it mean to seek his face? I enjoyed reading the verses of seeking, for the Bible talks over and over again if we seek Him, we will find Him. But it also talks of God seeking us as well. We cannot truly be seeking God if we do not seek him through His word. Seeding his face also means to seek his will in different situations we find ourselves in.

David provides hope. In the verses previous, these words: hide your face, turn your servant away in anger, do not reject or forsake, oppressors, desire o fmy foes, false witnesses, violence... BUT I AM CONFIDENT of this. I WILL see the goodness of the LORD...then tells us to wait.

When I struggle to hear God or to trust in Him, I remind myself of His word, we CAN have CONFIDENCE in it...He tell us he loves us, he tells us that He is victorious. Be strong, take heart, wait for the Lord

"to dwell in the house of the LORD": means to abide, to be with God, to rest in his safety (vs 1 &2), to look at the beauty of the LORD and to worship him (vs 4). Long ago I spent occassional weekends at a Monastary in Ohio...they offerred "silent retreat weekends". One time I was wandering around and saw a "brother" on a step ladder washing windows. I asked him about prayer and he said his LIFE is prayer. His every waking moment is prayer. I think this is something like David was saying ...to dwell in the house of the LORD is to walk in the presence of God...every moment...

"to seek his face": Dr Wilson didn't mention it but I think, in addition to seeking God's presence, to seek his face is to seek God's approval, his favor, his blessing. Like a child who wants to look into his Mommy's eyes and see Mommy smiles down on him. That's enough to make the child feel warm all over.

the hope: "They who wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, mount up with wings as eagles" (Psalm 40). Our trust in God gives us confidence in the LORD. This confidence renews our strength (Psalm 27:13-14).

Bean: Loved your comment, "David reminds me that there is JOY and HOPE and STRENGTH in the waiting for the LORD, not so, as the world would deceive us, in the "getting" of something else."

David want to be near to God. He wants to be in an ongoing, close, abiding relationship with Him.

Seeking God's Face means to seek God's will, to draw near to Him to know Him more.

David says he is confident he will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. He will live to see God's hand intervene for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 27 teaches us that God is our refuge and strength

In great times of trouble and despair when we know not what to do, we run to God to rescue us. Dwelling in the house of the Lord means constantly abiding in the presence of the Lord. Dwelling means staying in a place or a home. David choses to dwell in the house of the Lord by remaining with Him all the time by worshipping Him ,praising Him and meditating on his Holy word. David would not have found any other house a comfortable place to stay. He would not have found the peace and joy anywhere else but in the house of the Lord. David seeks one and the most important thing and that is to dwell in the house of the Lord. By dwelling in the Lord's house he is safe and protected from all his enemies.

Seeking the face of the Lord means continually looking to the Lord . It is looking at his face amidst trouble and nothing else. David seeks the face in the presence of the Lord. He chooses to seek the Lord above every other things. David will not seek the face of man or any other source for his deliverance but seeks the Lord's face in worship. David would have felt forsaken even by seeking his parents and friends so his heart now wants to seek only the face of the Lord.. Oh the face of the Lord , is beautiful gives joy and peace to the drooping souls.

Now as David dwells in the house of the Lord and choses to seek his face in constant worship He is filled with great comfort ,peace and safety.

The Lord has assured him his deliverance when he sought him above all things. He is now filled with great confidence and hope beyond measure. This great hope makes him say that he is confdent that the Lord will deliver him out of his trouble and answer all his prayers. He is confident that he will see the goodness in his life. After a constant relationship with God he is now strong in his heart and bold to wait for the Lords working . He assures himself that God will do the impossible in his life so he happy coinfident and surrenders his life in the hands of the Lord knowing fully welll that big things are on his way.

Alleuia... I loved this psalm totally and with David i will say I am confident of this ... I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living...

Glory to you Father. Son and Holy Spirit...

Like David i say

Lord one thing I desire I want to dwell in your house always.. You will keep me safe in times of trouble..

To dwell in the House of the Lord-- it means to live in the presence of God. when we spend time with Him- praising Him and worshiping Him we dwell in the House of the Lord. we are the temples of the Holy Spirit and God presence dwells in us. To dwell in the House of the Lord is to come into His presence and allow ourselves to filled with His presence as we surrender our entire being to Him.

David knew that when he faced all kind of trials he could take shelter in the House of the Lord. The House of the Lord or in other words the Presence of God Almighty became for him a shelter in the storm and a shade in the heat. David knew that when took refuge in the House of the Lord - he was comforted, strengthened and uplifted by God's presence.

To seek God's face is to seek His ways and His thoughts. God's thoughts and ways are higher than our ways and thoughts. when we draw near to God through praise and thanksgiving and we adore him and worship God reveals himself to us. To seek God is to know his thoughts and His ways in any given situation.

David finds strength as he dwells in God's presence. when he seeks God- God reveals himself to David and comforts him. David is able to understand God's ways and God's thoughts are good and prosperous for him and he is filled with faith. No matter what circumstance he is facing- David is now confident that God is with him. As he waits for God to deliver him from all his troubles he is able to say-- I AM STILL CONFIDENT OF THIS - I WILL SEE THE GOODNESS OF THE LORD IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING.

This psalm tells us David has experienced the Lord's presence and continued to do the same, he loved that feeling and that time that he would be in the presence of the Lord. when we like some place or a certain type of atmosphere mostly when we a searching for some rest we love some places that we are all by ourselves, we search for peace that calmness, that is what David found in the presence of the Lord, he just wants to dwell in God's presence he is enjoying being all by himself with God's presence.

He wants to continue worshiping and experience God's presence more and more, because in God's presence every thought of his mind is clear and he is taking pleasure of the surrounding that is created while he is worshiping ,he is enjoying the holy presence God and is very eager to see his face, i.e. to know God even more closely, here God instructing his heart.

This psalm also reveals the confidence and trust David had in God, that whatever be the circumstance he trusted God blindly and he knew come what may God will rescue him of that situation. He is confident each time he calls on God , God will answer him, and God answers only when we live in accordance to his word, and so David also pleads of God to give him the grace and never let him falter so that when he calls upon God , God listens to him and answers him.

David desires to dwell in the house of the Lord - to be very close to the Lord - to have an intimate relationship with the Lord. and David knew to dwell in the house of the Lord i.e in the presence - he first needs to enter this presence and he knew fully well that he could only do it by praising and worshiping his Lord. David also knew that his God's dwelling place was the safest place for him. it was his hiding place, just like a child feels secured in the presence of his or her parents - the same way David desired to dwell in His father's presence.

For David to seek His Face - was to seek His Father's holy and awesome presence - and to be like His father.

David is confident in the Lord that waiting on the Lord, worshiping in His presence He will experience the goodness of the Lord, the good things of the Lord - His presence

• 4 months later...

What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

To dwell in the house of the Lord is to be in the Lord’s presence. He desires to remain in God’s presence for “all the days” of his life. This is the key to understanding the remainder of the verse and the one to follow. David is saying that, by staying in God’s presence, he finds that he able to understand and see God’s beauty. Being in God’s presence has, therefore, changed his heart and his perspective so that he able to see God’s beauty and glory in his everyday life. He also finds solace in God’s continual presence. In verse 5, he writes that God hides him in the secret place of His tabernacle. When David—and the rest of us—remain in God’s presence daily, we can find relief from struggles and comfort for our pain and a hiding place from our enemies (both natural and supernatural).

To seek God’s face means to desire one-on-one time with the Creator. This is more than just remaining in His presence. This is ********, passionate alone time with God in which we can pour out our hearts to God and, in return, listen to what He is speaking into our lives. In verse 8, David writes as though seek God’s face is a commandment for all Christians. He writes that God literally told David—and us—to seek His face. This is not the selfish demand of a dictator but the plea of a Creator who desires only to spend intimate time with His creation. As a result of dwelling in God’s presence and spending intimate time with him, David (and the rest of us) can have the protection of God. David writes in verse 10 that when even his father and mother forsook him, God was able and willing to take care of him. That protection is a result of David’s obedience in and desire to spend time with God and remain in His presence. If we want those kinds of rewards, we must do as David did.

David provides hope in the midst of his struggles by pointing himself and us back to God. He urges Christians to wait on God. If we are of good courage (have enough faith and strength to wait for God’s timing and provision), God will strengthen our hearts. This is key because the heart is really where all of this takes place. By waiting on God and remaining in His presence and seeking His face daily, we are already in the process of strengthening our hearts through obedience to God. When we act in obedience to God, He steps in and honors that and really fuels the strengthening process. It is both an act of God and an act of obedience on our part that will strengthen our hearts. This is the hope that David speaks of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1.)What does it mean that David desires to live in the house of the Lord? To me I would take the house to mean Davids body because our bodies are the houses that we live in constantly and I think David is saying that he wants his body to be the house of the Lord so that he can dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life and when David is there his body is Gods temple he is in the Lords dwelling place. I think that is why David feels so safe because the Lord lives with him! When David is saying when my enemies and goes come against me it is them that will stumble and fall its because they are coming against the house of the Lord. You see David says it he is hidden in Gods tent! to seek Gods face is to seek and desire him and intimacy and oneness with him. David says that he hope is that in this life time he will see the glory of the Lord!!

• 8 months later...

To dwell in the house of Yahweh is to abide under His wings and to be covered by His shadow, you are always covered by Him whereever you go, He is with you always.

To seek His face is to be still in His presence and listen to His voice. Always seeking what His plans are for you and obeying. Having His presence fill you and saturate you. I delight to do your will O Father, for I am of your family.

David provides hope by alluding to the fact, that even in our trials if we will: wait for Yahweh, expect Yahweh, have a courageous heart, wait confidently for Him, He will come to our rescue. HalleluYah, He will never leave us nor forsake us. Praise be to Yahweh!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 27) A.). What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? B.) What does it mean to "seek his face"? C.). How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

A. David wants to live in God's presence daily.

B. David desires, yearns to find God, to meet Him face to face.

C. I know that David has been in despair before and has had to wait upon The Lord. David knows that through his waiting he will be renewed and refreshed. He will learn by waiting.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

To "dwell in the house of the Lord" is a mataphor for being close to the Lord at all times (from the notes). In addition the Israelites were well aware that God is not confined to a single place (1 Kings 8:27) also from the notes. To seek his face means to seek his presence, to be face to face with him-expectant of him, (from the notes). The hope that David has is an exhortation to himself and others to "develop strength and perseverence" (from the notes)-"...wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart" (/v14).

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

To "dwell in the house of the Lord" is a mataphor for being close to the Lord at all times (from the notes). In addition the Israelites were well aware that God is not confined to a single place (1 Kings 8:27) also from the notes. To seek his face means to seek his presence, to be face to face with him-expectant of him, (from the notes). The hope that David has is an exhortation to himself and others to "develop strength and perseverence" (from the notes)-"...wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart" (/v14).

• 1 month later...

David had an understanding of what it is to be close to the Lord, dwelling in the House of the Lord is his way of expressing his continual desire to feel God's presence. I do feel that he actually enjoyed the tabernacle. When he talks about seeking God's face it is an expression of his desire to feel God's presence and direction.

The hope is that if we presentt our requests to the Lord he hears our cries and then we wait patiently on Him our hope and salvation.

• 3 months later...

Psalm 27..what it means to dwell in his house forever?

To always to be in Gods presence.

The psalmist knew that being in the presence of God ensures  a comfort, peace, protection would be his always. This came about because of the relationship he had with his creator, where a supernatural sense of trust in the Almighty is cultivated.

This trust and relationship is nurtured and strengthened by the exercise and discipline of religion .

The psalmist one thing "to be in Gods presence always" to be able to see the beauty of God and to receive directions as to the path to pursue.

When trust is kept private and unspoken, and unshared, it runs the risk of becoming decayed.Trust needs to be strengthened by the sharing with others, and with God through fellowship with believers and a daily set apart time spent in the presence of God (devotion),Here we acknowledge with our mouths prayers of affirmation to our Sovereign God, who he is, what he means to us and the confidence and comfort we experience after

The psalmist also expects to experience a life long relationship with God as he regularly offers unto Him sacrifices of Praise.

B....What does it mean to "seek his face".

To earnestly seek an audience with Jehovah El-lohim our creator,He who seek to have also an        intimate with His people. David had a desire and so should we, for a face to face meeting with God, a desire for a personal intimate relationship. He also wanted reassurance from God that He would not take away the comfort of His presence, but would lead him safely through his tests and struggles.

C...How does David provide hope at the end?

Because of his attitude towards God in spite of his struggles,he was confident that he would experience the abundance of life in the now  while still alive , an abundance which Christ taught us in John 10 :10 . He knew that in trusting God he would be kept safe from the lies the devil would want to instill in his mind to create doubts the opposite of faith. David was confident that he would receive the blessings by drawing closer to Him in worship both privately as well as publicly.

He now encourages us to patiently put our trust ,our hope in God who always keeps His promises so be 'strong' 'take courage'.David knew that we are weak in times of struggles and finds it hard to wait therefore this  encouragement was necessary ,despite our conviction .

This praise and prayer evokes the reality in whose life Faith lives- the salvation of the Lord..   

Psalm 27..what it means to dwell in his house forever?

To always to be in Gods presence.

The psalmist knew that being in the presence of God ensures  a comfort, peace, protection would be his always. This came about because of the relationship he had with his creator, where a supernatural sense of trust in the Almighty is cultivated.

This trust and relationship is nurtured and strengthened by the exercise and discipline of religion .

The psalmist one thing "to be in Gods presence always" to be able to see the beauty of God and to receive directions as to the path to pursue.

When trust is kept private and unspoken, and unshared, it runs the risk of becoming decayed.Trust needs to be strengthened by the sharing with others, and with God through fellowship with believers and a daily set apart time spent in the presence of God (devotion),Here we acknowledge with our mouths prayers of affirmation to our Sovereign God, who he is, what he means to us and the confidence and comfort we experience after

The psalmist also expects to experience a life long relationship with God as he regularly offers unto Him sacrifices of Praise.

B....What does it mean to "seek his face".

To earnestly seek an audience with Jehovah El-lohim our creator,He who seek to have also an        intimate with His people. David had a desire and so should we, for a face to face meeting with God, a desire for a personal intimate relationship. He also wanted reassurance from God that He would not take away the comfort of His presence, but would lead him safely through his tests and struggles.

C...How does David provide hope at the end?

Because of his attitude towards God in spite of his struggles,he was confident that he would experience the abundance of life in the now  while still alive , an abundance which Christ taught us in John 10 :10 . He knew that in trusting God he would be kept safe from the lies the devil would want to instill in his mind to create doubts the opposite of faith. David was confident that he would receive the blessings by drawing closer to Him in worship both privately as well as publicly.

He now encourages us to patiently put our trust ,our hope in God who always keeps His promises so be 'strong' 'take courage'.David knew that we are weak in times of struggles and finds it hard to wait therefore this  encouragement was necessary ,despite our conviction .

This praise and prayer evokes the reality in whose life Faith lives- the salvation of the Lord..   

• 3 weeks later...

What does it mean that David desires to dwell in the house of the Lord.? 

I think it means that David wants to live in the presence of God each and every day. He wants to be so filled with God's presence that everything that David thinks, says and does is done to the glory of God. Oh that we could achieve such a level. 

What does it mean to "seek his face?"

To seek God's face is to seek his presence. Both the old and new testament say it is a "setting  of the mind and heart" on God.  It is a conscious fixing and focusing of our mind's attention and our hearts affection on God.  1chr. 22:19; Col 3:1-2

How does David provide hope at the end of the psalm?

Through all of the trails of his life he has the experience of knowing that waiting and thrusting for God to act will surely happen. His experience with God leads him to say that God will act if we will only trust and obey. David's life testifies to this fact.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

To dwell in the house of the Lord implies that the author of the poem once to draw close to the Lord, God and have a fun relationship with the Lord. It seems as one reads the Old Testament that in order to establish this relationship with the Lord a very unique and special person was needed. We read of Abraham and some of the Patriarchs, of Moses and the prophets but these are very special people. In the New Testament with the coming of Christ end of The Descent of the Holy Spirit it is much easier to establish his relationship with the Lord for Jesus has taught us so very much about the father and he himself models the Christian Life. The mother and a Christian also has much closer access to God because of the indwelling of the spirit in their lives. The holy spirit is with us through our lives as Christians weather we realize it or not. But if one makes a strong and deliver it attempt or attempts to establish and develop a relationship then the Holy Spirit, the 3rd member of the Holy Trinity will enter our lives in a vibrant, forceful and meaningful way that we will find it very much easier to live in the house of the Lord.

Winston

• 2 months later...

This means to continually returning to the sanctuary for worship.  It can also refer living one's life in God's presence. In either case, there is constant fellowship with Jehovah throughout one's life.

To seek God's face is to petition Jehovah, most often in the context of worship.  It involves complete devotion to God in the same sense as turning to Him.

David provides hope in this verse because rather than taking matters into our own hands and because we are children of God we should wait patiently for Jehovah response in their prayers.