JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 27

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"?

ANS - He desires to be in God's presence, to worship Him, to enjoy His Glory, and to fellowship with Him.

What does it mean to "seek his face"?

ANS - It means to pray to, and to pursue Him, to be passionate for Him.

How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

ANS - He states that we are to take heart, and to be confident in Him as we wait for Him!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

DAVID DESIRES TO BE CLOSE TO GOD FOREVER AND TO BE SAFE AND ABLE TO PRAISE HIM WITHOUT FEARING HIS ENEMIES WILL DEFEAT AND/OR DESTROY HIM. FOR DAVID TO SEEK HIS FACE MEANS THAT DAVID WANTS TO BE CLOSE TO THE LORD AND ENJOY A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. FINALLY DAVID SAYS TO NOT GIVE UP AND HAVE FAITH THAT GOD WILL ADDRESS WHATEVER PROBLEMS AND TRIALS THAT YOU MAY HAVE.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are legally in someone's house, you must have a personal bond.

If you see someone's face, you are in his presence.

David says he hopes or expects to be in His house and to see His face.

This means that he wants to have a personal relationship with God and that he wants to be with Him.

• 4 weeks later...

To Dwell in the house of the Lord means to be walking in God's presence all the time. to know breath smell hear and touch everything of God.

In the Webster dictionary the word Dwell means : to remain for some time, to stay as a resident.

God says that we have access to his kingdom on earth. so we can go up into heaven, spend time with God and his kingdom which is what he wants us to do, then go back to earth with the wisdom from heaven for those who do not know him.

To "SEEK HIS FACE" simply means to spend time with God. To have a relationship with him and to DWELL in his presence.

The hope that David is offering us is the reassurance of God's unfailing love and faith for us. David knows from his past experiences that God will show up, so he is declaring these verses out loud to his heart and soul so that they all can embrace the truth about God. He is affirming his whole being that God will come through for him.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What does it mean to "seek his face"? How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm?

To desire to "dwell in the house of the Lord" for me means to be closer to Him, to live by His ways only with joyful obedience, to be more intimate with Him, to be more sensitive to the needs of others by getting the gifts He givesw to us.

To "seek his face" means to be with Him, to pray and meditate more with and about Him; to go for a walk, to read the Bible. to be still and listen to/for Him. To take joy in spending the time with Him. To ask Him to come closer; to ask Him to give the spiritual tools needed to do His service to other humans, to ask for spiritual forces of discernment and healing to be given to others. To obtain His blessing and then pass it along to others asap. To ask Him to help us be better missionaries and evangelists. To open our hearts to Him willingly, to ask Him to break our bones and to make us new. To ask for more love so as to be able to love more, in His name.

• 2 weeks later...

The plea by David (and so many of us) to 'dwell in the house of the Lord' is a request for God to surround us in the comfort of his loving home, in his presence, to be protected, cared for, to receive the full measure of His gracious hospitality where all our needs are met and we are accepted in complete fellowship with the Lord of all creation.

Seeking the 'face of the Lord' - There is a contemporary song with lyrics that include this phrase and it's always driven me crazy because I didn't feel as if I needed to see the face of God literally. I don't feel the face of God is something that could be defined by vision. I am coming to understand that I have been correct - to perceive the face of God requires more than sight with the eyes. As with any human loved one - to 'see' fully involves the experiences of all your senses ... sight, touch, smell, taste, sound, and most importantly heart. To see God's face is to know Him spirit to spirit, soul to soul, and body to body. That, I think, is what David longs for and what I long for too.

At the end of this Psalm, David expresses that he knows without doubt that he will see (experience) the full goodness of God during his life time. In the study guide we are led to believe that David means it will be within his physical lifetime, but I am not sure. I think David is considering that his experience of the full goodness of God will come within his eternal lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"?

David's desire to "dwell in the house of the Lord" means that he wants emulate the Lord by his conversation, conduct, and character. I have never thought of this as meaning something more than a "physical" aspect,(dwelling: to live there) but it has become very real to me that David is not talking about "dwelling" in a physical sense, he is talking about wanting and desiring to have a Christ-like "mental outlook" so that hean can become closer to Him. David is seeking true intimacy with Christ.

What does it mean to "seek his face"? .

To seek His face is to ask for His holy guidance and direction in our life. In every aspect of making a decision, we must rely on God's ways and His mind, might, strength and power... Proverbs 3:5,6

How does David provide hope at the end of the pslam?

David provides hope by telling us to WAIT upon the Lord. David knows the Lord's ways are the BEST way, and he is desperately (he mentioned this twice is one passage!)encouraging us to wait upon Lord... not to run ahead of His timing and do things our way.

• 1 month later...

For me dwelling in the "house of the Lord", means to celebrate the presence of the Lord in my life, praise Him for all He has done for me, pray for those who need the Lord's help, sing hymns, take Holy Communion ( which as a Roman Catholic I believe is the body and blood of Jesus ) confess my sins, spend time with my fellow Christians, learn from the readings from the Old and New Testaments, learn from the Homily, listen to the choir, all done at my church St. James. The time I spend in the house of the Lord, gives me strength, hope, and wisdom to deal with life outside of my parish.

Seeking the Lords face is when I sit quietly and meditate on His word, and pray for a greater understanding of the Bible. I seek the face of the Lord when I turn to Him in times of need as well as times when I am grateful for all He has done for me.

David reminds me at the end of this Psalm, that God has a plan for me. I need to accept that His timetable and my time table are not always the same. I need to trust that God knows what is best for me and have faith that he will answer my prayers when he knows I am ready.

Post Options

Enable em

• 1 month later...

David desires to live in the house of God, and be fully submersed in spirit and mind. He longs to linger there and always have his mind on the things of God and God himself.

To seek God's face is to seek his plans, purposes and desires for one's life. He will need to spend all his days with the Father and worship and praise him to fully dwell.

He tells us that by waiting on God to move, we will be strengthened. We are to be of good courage, which will help us to keep a positive attitude thus strengthening us.

David desires to live in the house of God, and be fully submersed in spirit and mind. He longs to linger there and always have his mind on the things of God and God himself.

To seek God's face is to seek his plans, purposes and desires for one's life. He will need to spend all his days with the Father and worship and praise him to fully dwell.

He tells us that by waiting on God to move, we will be strengthened. We are to be of good courage, which will help us to keep a positive attitude thus strengthening us.

• 1 month later...

What does it mean that David desires to dwell in the house of the Lord?

David wanted a place where he could communion with God privately.

What does it mean to seek his face?

The concept to seek his face means to have a holy and pure heart to seek out God and learn from Him. According John 15: 5-7 we are suspose to like the branches and bear much fruit. If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you. We are to trust God and others.

David provide hopes by having confidence, strength, and courage to wait on the Lord. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=655

I think that it means, David wants to walk and be with God, all the days of his life. He wants God as his protector, provider, his everything, his all.

To seek his face means to constantly walk and be in Gods presence. To seek a deeper and more intimate relationship with God. This is something we should be doing at all times.

He provides hope by stating that he will see the goodness of the Lord (vs 13) and that he will be strong and wait upon the Lord (vs 14) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Daivd meant that when he is in the house of God he is condifence and in God house is his light and his salvation and fortress and confidence in time of trouble.Daivd meant to lookfor God face or to seek his face and to seek his presence.Daivd said to wait for and on God To put your hope in God.

• 4 weeks later...

[/

To be in God's presence,dwell close to the Lord. Pursue God! seek after,long for (to know Him). That he will see the goodness of the Lord on this earth.

• 2 weeks later...

David is conveying remaining in God's presence; being where he is; being near God. David sought God's face by being in constant communication with God through prayer, the song through praise and worship; through reading his word.

David speaks hopefully that if he remains steadfast we will be blessed of the Lord, right here right now. We don't have to wait until we die.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1: To dwell in the house of the Lord meant that you were with God, in the very presence of God and were in a close relationship with God.

Q2: Seeking God's face means to seek to be face to face with God. Perhaps being in front of God as we are with our close friends and family. David wanted to be so close to God that he could talk directly with him.

Q3: David provides hope by knowing he would see God one day. He would dwell with God one day. David knew it would take time so his encouragement is to wait on the Lord for he knew at his time he would be with God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 27)

What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"?

David desires to live in the presence of the Lord each day of his life.

David seeks a personal hearing with God. That God will not reject his prayers but listen to them.

We are to fully trust our Heavenly Father. Wait on the Lord; be courageous; knowing He will strengthen our hearts. Be patient God will see us through any hardships.

Lesson 2. A1. (Psalm 27)

David wants to be under the guidance of the Lord. Seeking the face of the lord is to have God's voice guide you, His eyes to watch over your ways, and to have His ears hear your prayer's. The hope at the end of the Psalm is about waiting for the Lord to forgive and bless his life.

One who "dwells in the house of the Lord" seeks to be connected to what God wants at all times. When I "seek his face", I desire to know and do His will at all times and to cry out to Him for strength. In the end, David remains us to be confident and we will see "the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living," everything good that God has in store for us.

• 2 months later...

One who "dwells in the house of the Lord" seeks to be connected to what God wants at all times. When I "seek his face", I desire to know and do His will at all times and to cry out to Him for strength. In the end, David remains us to be confident and we will see "the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living," everything good that God has in store for us.

• 1 month later...

I was struck by the description of "to seek his face" as being "to seek an audience with a ruler". I think of this in the context of Esther, how she risked her life to seek an audience with the king. I also think of the NT verses- the veil in the temple was torn in two from TOP to bottom when Jesus died, that Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father and is ever-interceding for me, that I can approach the throne of grace boldly....Praise God! God the Father, almighty and omnipotent, allows me (encourages me) to seek an audience with him.

• 2 months later...

I love this Psalm! It has brought me comfort dozens of times over the years. Like David, I desire to be in God's Presence at all times. I know He will never leave me nor forsake me, and is always in me and surrounding me like the air, and that I don't have to "call Him to me", but merely step into His ever abiding presence. I think this is what David is speaking about, since the house of the Lord is where "God dwelt" in those days (rather than in the hearts of believers through Jesus' death, burial and resurrection and invitation to come in to live by the Holy Spirit).

In His Presence is fullness of joy! We are transformed in His presence! His majesty and love are tangible in His presence...that's where I want to LIVE, in close intimate fellowship with Him, ready to respond to His "nudges", aware of His gifts of love to me (sometimes wrapped in rough, black paper, but meant for my good, none the less), open to hear His still, quiet voice. After a life of neglect, abuse, and loneliness, when He took me in as His own daughter (v10), I found my true home in Him.

I've written in my Bible by that verse "Not just His hand".....to remind me that He's promised to meet all my needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus, and that what He really desires is for me to want to spend time with Him. To come and sit at His feet, as Mary did and to soak up His wisdom and His love. When I take Communion in the mornings, just He and I, in my home, I'm seeking all that He is, and thank Him for all that He does and Has done, and will continue to do. I seek what His desires are for my day and ask that He order my steps....and my stops and that what He wants to accomplish through me will be just that, and not my ideas of what He may want for that day.

David reminds himself and his readers, to be brave and of good courage, (reiterating V1 Since " the Lord is my Refuge and Stronghold, of whom shall I be afraid?"), and tell us to wait and hope for the Lord. (a definition I love for wait is: To be patient with a confident expectation of His answer.) David adds, and I love this: "in the land of the living". I've been waiting for 30 years for several promises He made to me to be fulfilled. Doubters have said, "He probably meant when you get to Heaven". I'm confidently waiting for His answers here!

• 3 weeks later...

When David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord" I believe that he means that he wants to feel close to the Lord and actually feel His presence surrounding him. To seek the Lord's face means to talk to Him on such a level that it is almost as though the Lord is sitting across from you and telling you what to do. David provides hope by reassuring everyone that the Lord will always be by your side.

• 4 weeks later...

(Psalm 27) What does it mean that David desires to "dwell in the house of the Lord"? What David says here is actually a metaphor for being close to God at all times.

[i]To seek His face means that one is seeking a personal audience with God Himself; yearning for personal intimacy with the Almighty; seeking a personal hearing before the Lord.[/i]

How does David provide hope at the end of this Psalm? [i]David encourages us to be strong; wait for and expect the Lord and to take heart.[/i]