JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalms 42-43

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

The psalmist is feeling depression during this spiritual struggle. He combats this depression by seeking God in prayer and praising God.

I have felt this way at times and in response I sought out my God. I have poured my thoughts and feelings out to God and He has responded.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Psalmist thirsting and hungering for God, spiritually thirsty and seeking God. During my time of depression it has caused me to reach out to the Living God and pour myself weeping at His feet, during all my time of grief He has been faithful and fed and watered my soul with His word and His presence, holding fast even when at times I have not 'felt' Him near. Praise God for His unfailing love, compassion and commitment.

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

Like the deer thirsting for a refreshing drink of out The psalmist is feeling a thirst for the LORD. Knowing about

water does not quench your thirst but drinking the water does. Same as us knowing about GOD is not enough

we need to experience Him to really know HIM, and we should also seek HIM and He will satisfy our desire to

know HIM.

How does he combat his spiritual depression?

He combats his spiritual depression by giving responses to three question. First one was asking why are he downcasted?

second was giving instruction to his soul by saying "Put your hope in GOD", finally he declared what he is going to do

and that is "Praise the LORD. If we do this and examine ourselves we can also combat the depression that we go through.

Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Yes I have. I stop and examine my thoughts, my words, and what I speak. If I find myself out of GOD words I pray and

ask for forgiveness of that that I have thought, spoke and the words that is not of him.

The psalmist is feeling down and out. Depressed. Defeated.

He combats this spiritual depression by reminding himself of Who GOD is and what GOD has done for him in the past, and by making a committed decision to praise God in spite of the the circumstances.

Yes I have felt this way. I think any one who has been a Christian for more that 2 weeks has been in a spiritual battle fighting to keep your head above water. As we mature in Christ we sometimes take on the attitude that we should not have these battles. There is an old sayilng that says "Different level - different devil"

To overcome depression or feelings of defeat or even fear I do as the Psalmist did. I remind myself of who GOD is and of HIS great power. Then I remind myself of who I am. I am a child of the most high GOD and HE loves me. Then I remember the times in the past when HE saw me through. While I am doing all of this I refuse to look at the circumstances around me but I remember the Promises HE has given in HIS WORD. AND I GIVE HIM PRAISE AHEAD OF TIME! Before the answer comes I praise HIM and give HIM thanks as if it was already done. I call those things that are not - as though they are. I see the situation in Victory and Praise HIM for it. I know that GOD is in control HALLELUJAH!!!

He feels forgotten, depressed, down trodden,outcast, he longs to feel God's presence.

By remembering better times, remembering when he had felt God's presence, praising God for what he knows instead of what he is feeling.

Yes, I have felt spiritually depressed several times. It use to drag on for quite awhile, I think mainly because I would start feeling sorry for myself and would find it hard to pray, it was like I was triing to avoid God.

I am learning that during these times usually the best thing I can so is find a secluded place and spent more time talking and praying and worshiping Him and as I have been taught "count your many blessing see what God has done" until such time as it passes.

The Psalmist is thirsting for God. His soul is dry and parched. He yearns for god. He is crying a lot too. He his questioned by others as where his god is.

He is talking to himself and assuring himself and praising God. He is happy with the fact that God is there with him day and night.

Yes, I have felt that way.

I realise that even when I am in pain, God is there, he loves me and will never forsake me. That I know for sure. I thank him for that all the time.

David is suffering in his exhile (possibly when Absalom turned against him), wanting so desperately to be back in his role of worshipping and rejoicing in the temple - not knowing if he ever will again - needing to be in God's presence again more than anything else in his life. He is literally spiritually starving for his Lord. He combats this spiritual depression by praying tearfully day and night to God -- first telling Him how desolate he feels without Him, and then how earnestly he is seeking Him and then he manages to speak to his own soul and remind himself that he should not be downcast and disturbed, and to put his entire hope in God, and know that he will definitely come back to praising God for his deliverance.

At times of feeling depressed and abandoned, I remember that God never abandons me and I am not alone and that is when I am reminded that I can totally trust God with the entire matter. Once I have given it to Him totally, I can just relax and wait for Him to put it all back together. He always does! Thank You Lord ! (I am not that good at relaxing yet, but I do wait for Him and He never lets me or others down).

What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Such tormented struggle is a sure sign of growth taking place. So much easier to realize in hindsight. It's a Job period when everything he knows to be true is tested. He draws on his memories of when he felt closest to God to see him through this dry spell. Our Faith Walk isn't on level ground. It travels so many mountains and valleys. I must pay close attention, take vivid note of the mountaintops when the view is unobscured and God's glory is so clear so that when I find myself bushwhacking my way through the lowlands, I can rest on those images, knowing they are still there, only temporarily obscured. I heard it once said that though mountain tops have wonderful views, all the growing takes place in the valley.

David was feeling depressed :unsure: He was losing hope.

I have been there, done that. When my husband was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and only expected to live 6 months I thought I would 'die' He only lived one month and now I am a widower with 2 children.

God has ALWAYS been faithful. He has provided for me, blessed me, comforted me, and helped me through my lonliness- all I had to do was ask!!

• 2 weeks later...

1. David had a deep longing for God. he describes the longing as that of a thirsty deer. the Psalmist feeling was frustration, he was in exile, frustrated because he cannot worship with God's people at God's house, he was discourage and dispair.

2. the Psalmist did not stay there, instead of letting the circumstance rule him, he turned to God with faith. he reminded himself to trust and hope in God, he reminded himself that God would deliver him from his enemy, for God's loving kindness will not fail. the psalmist will praise Him again.

3. yes! i also feel and experienced spiritual depression. mostly if i felt that God is not listening to me, sometimes if there is something not good happen to my family. but like the Psalmist i remind myself to trust and hope in God, i prayed, listen to His word, praise Him again.

The Psalmist was feeling depressed and frustrated bcause of problems created by his enemies. There was fear and anxiety about his safety.

He combated the problem of fear and depression by seeking the Lord who was the Saviour who could rescue and deliver him from his probles. He also talked to himself to put his hope in the Lord. These motivated him to hang on.

I am currently having serious challenges at my place of work that some times makes me to wonder whether God is still there for me. Going back to His Word and remembering His promises always fan my faith to grow again and again. Remembering how he has delivered me in the past when I faced similar situatuations assure me that He may delay in answring me now but He will surely come to my rescue. Lord I thank you because you are always faithful even when I am not some times. Help me to hang on even when the storm of life is firece and frightening.

He is feeling thathe needs to be near God his soul is Thirsting for God.

He tells himself to put his hope in the Lord because through the lord his soul will find peace and will be refreshed by God himself.

I feel it at the moment. By getting close to people that know God they help me to see that he is there and that he does care

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalms 42-43)

What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

He seems to be low, confused, have "the blues", short on hope...

Tells it to God. At least he realizes he doesn't have to suffer alone.

Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Yes. Strong meditative prayer and searching for answers in the word, and in the holy spirit.

"...when we are low, it is because we are thirsty. What we need is a good, deep drink at the well of God."

• 2 weeks later...

These psalms meant a lot to me. I battle with depression and am relatively new to reaching to God for help.

The psalmist is feeling down, alone, forgotten.

He combats this through remembering the good, praising God and singing.

I have felt this way, and have started reaching to God for help in these times. I can remember the good, but that doesn't help by itself. It doesn't change how I feel at that time. I have started praising God and believing that he hasn't left me, and that is helping more. I acknowledge that there is always a reason that I am going through something, and God put me there, God will get me out.

I am starting to believe more in the power or singing or praising out loud. Some of this has come from this study. I find a difference from reading the psalm, no matter how thoroughly, and saying it out loud. Saying it out loud really makes the psalm be "felt" for me. I am exploring the singing of the psalms. I have also started really enjoying the worship team at church more. The songs are really speaking to me in a different way than the bible does.

The psalmist may be feeling that God is not near. He is somehow separated from God. He cries out to God; he longs for God's presence. He asks his soul a question, "why are your downcast, why so disturbed and then he answers, put you hope in God, for I will yet praise Him", in spite of my circumstances. Many times, I have been in a similiar state when I felt detached from God, I felt that He was far away from me. I have, however, found myself encouraged by either the word of God, a word from God or a song of hope. I have literally felt my soul rise from the pit of despair onto a mountain of praise and thankfulness. The LORD allowed me to press my way through, back to Him! Hallelujah!!!

• 1 month later...

The psalmist is feeling intense spiritual thirst, a barrenness of soul, and a strong need for God.

He combats that by reminding himself that he can trust and put his hope in God, by remembering God (bringing Him to mind), and by singing praises and praying.

I do have down times, though none as intense as described by the psalmist. My inclination is to hide my feelings from everyone, even those close to me, including God. I am learning to make myself lay everything at His feet, search His Word for encouragement and guidance, and pray even if I don't feel I'm being heard. Once I can do those things, He pulls me through, often with remarkable speed. God is faithful!

• 3 weeks later...

The psalmist feels hopeless and discouraged.

He recalls the glorious works of the Lord in the past. V 6 says that he makes an effort to remind himself of the victories and deliverances brought about by the mighty hand of God.

I have had many instances where i have felt depressed and lonely.

Many of those times i havent been strong, but in His mercy i have survived those times. I do pray that the Lord will help me to trust more in His unfailing love.

What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

David felt heartsick. Unable to worship pubically, the enjoyment of communion with God was an urgent need of his soul. David reflected on his early days of constant communion with God and longs for a renewal of that kind of fellowship with the Lord.

I will put my Hope in God, the source of my joy. I will praise him again, my Savior and my God. David's faith strikes back to combat his cyclic spiritual depression that it will remember God from the land of the Jordan and of Hermon and from the Hill Mizar. Although exiled and unable to visit the house of God, David still remembers the God of the house. The Lord will command His loving kindness in the daytime and in the night His song shall be with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

Have you ever felt this way? Yes, there was a time in my life when I was being attacked on all sides, My marriage was failing, my children rebellious and one ran away, trouble on my job, all my support network taken. I felt alone and depressed to the point of contemplating suicide. I felt so far away from God. It seemed as if all my prayers were in vain. I so needed to feel the presence of God in my life.

How did you reach out to God at this time?

I continued to pray and study God's word. That was when I developed a love for the Psalms. A prayer litany for me can be found in Psalms 43. I prayed continually for God presence in my life. I trusted for to take care of all of the issues in my life. What was of primary importance to me was to feel God's presence and to be in communion with Him, to feel the joy, and peace, knowing that I was in His presence and could feel His love for me deep in my spirit.

Depression. By self tlk, by remembering God and what he has done, and by singing and praying.

Yes, may times. First I would try to handle the depression on my own - this never worked; then I would try to solve my depression by worldly means - still this did not work. When I started my Bible studies and started reading God's Word I found that I have no room within for depression. God's Word uplifts me. I need to remeber to go to God first instead of last :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I THINK THAT DAVID WAS FEELING FAR AWAY FROM GOD, DETACHED AND DISCONNECTED FROM THE ONE WHOM HIS SOUL LOVES SO MUCH.HIS SOUL WAS DRY AND PARCHED, AS DRY AS THE PARCHED LAND HE WAS WALKING ON.HE WAS WEARIED BY HIS ENEMY'S PURSUIT AND SPIRITUALLY THIRSTY FOR GOD IN THE DRYNESS HE WAS FEELING IN HIS SOUL.

HE FIGHTS BACK WITH REMEMBERING THE MIRACLES GOD HAD DONE FOR HIM IN THE PAST.HE SPOKE WORDS OF HOPE OVER HIS SITUATION.HE PRAISED GOD RIGHT IN THE MIDST OF HIS HEAVINESS AND THE GARMANT OF PRAISE WILL ALWAYS CAUSE THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS TO FLEE.

I'VE FELT THIS WAY ON NUMEROUS OCCASION AND I'VE DONE THE VERY SAME THING. EVEN IN CRISIS SITUATIONS WHEN I WAS TOO DISCOURAGED OR WEARY TO PRAISE HIM, THE HOLY SPIRIT, MY HELPRE AND COMFORTER HAS ALWAYS GIVEN ME THE STRENGTH TO OVERCOME, AND I AM SO VERY GRATEFUL THAT I CAN LEAN ON HIM TO HELP ME WIN THE BATTLES THROUGH PRAISE AND WORSHIP...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

He is out of harmony with God. God is not at the core of his being. We all dry and parched when God is not at the core of us. We fight with demons left and right. We all know the right moves but do we implement them? We leave our soul open for pain just as the psalmist does. Enemy are his thoughts, depression, pain worry , how do I, where do I, questions, question and no answers.

He remembers his calm thoughts and contemplates on the peace of God. The core of his being. God is gentle but powerful, fortifing his thoughts with harmony.God is a soothing balm diffusing any bad thoughts with harmonious thoughts of peace , kindness, peace of mind body and spirit.

As humans we all feel down in the dumps on occasion. I remind myself that God is present all around me, wherever I maybe, however I feel. My crerator is my constant companion. I always feel protected by God because I know he is guiding me and protecting me. In prayer I give thanks for my divine legacy. Peace ,joy, harmony, wholeness, abundance, wisdom are mine. With God at my side how can I go wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
The psalms spirit somewhat feels challenge by the circumstance he is under and finds himself looking for the only truth and that is God, He knows is there and that God is on his side. The psalmist is therefore building up him to keep his faith in God ], because that is the only that he will be able to make it through with victory. He uses past situation that God has brought as a tool to remind that God is still able.

3. Me personally from time to time find myself in that same situation and also find myself using the same solution by holding onto the word of God.

4.I came to understand through prayer anything is possible, So the best thing I come to is to bring all of my issue to God through prayer

• 3 weeks later...

1. The psalmist compares his spiritual thirst to the physical thirst of the deer. The parched

land, he realized, is much like his own dry soul that thirsts to be refreshed from God

himself. This temple musician in exile continues his lament, plagued by doubt and

remembrance. Now he is far from the temple courts that remind him of God. His

erstwhile friends stab doubts into his heart, "Where is your God now?" and it is taking

its toll on his spirit.

2. At the risk of being too analytical in this context of spiritual and poetic feeling, I can see

three approaches that the psalmist uses to combat his doubt and depression.

1. Self-talk, words addressed to himself, of hope, that he will eventually have cause to

rejoice in God again. (42:5)

2. Deliberate remembrance, recalling God to mind, (42:6-7)

3. Singing and praying to God night and day (42:8)

3. Yes! I redoubled by spiritual efforts and sought fellowship; and the use of the St. Francis

Prayer Exercise. I admit that I may have been depending on the exercise to get me through

my depression which it seemed to do until I gave thanks to God. Then I realize it was God

who got me through the exercise, the exercise was the message not the messenger. I still

had to take action.

Today, I have another spiritual tool, Psalms 42 & 43.