JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:) The significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh, is that according to His word: we have eternal life, we will be raised up at the last day and as we abide in Him, He abides in us. Besides it is such a remarkable and powerful image that we need to remember what it takes to be forgiven of our sins through His sacrificial death on the cross. Truly we have been bought with the price of His life. Thanks be to God!

That act signifies our feeding on Him so that we will live because of Him.

It was a radical idea for Jesus' disciples because as Jews, they were prohibited from drinking blood. For them, "it is a 'hard saying', they cannot understand it."

It is a radical idea for us if we cannot understand the Lord's Supper ourselves. First Corinthians 2:14, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." We need to have the mind of Christ. :)

Edited by Emy Oliveros

What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us?

Symbolically this could be seen as a way to explain how we have to "feed off" of Jesus in order to be fruitful and to live the Christian life. It reminds me of abiding in the vine--we have to so intimately identify with Jesus and abide in Him that it is as if we are feeding off of His body and drinking His blood. That takes commitment--on our part to keep coming to the table--and on His part to provide the meal. And providing the meal required the ultimate sacrifice of His death.

To the disciples it would have seemed like a crazy idea to some, revolted others. I watched a movie where a group of people had to eat the bodies of the dead in order to survive after a plane crash in the mountains. They even made an agreement with each other that "if I die, it's OK for you to eat me". It disturbed me for days afterwards. :( Some would have left because of that, others because from the way Jesus said this they probably knew what kind of commitment he was asking from them. They realized He was not the conquering hero leader they wanted and they were unwilling to give Him that kind of commitment.

Q3. What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us?

This act signifies our identification with Christ. It's a reminder that Christianity isn't a one-sided relationship. He bore our sin...now we "bear" His life. It was an exchange. What a graphic (yet mercifully painless) identification with the cross! Jesus took our sin into his body and experienced its effects physically. We take His lifegiving sinless body and blood (literally or figuratively) into our bodies (the Lord's Supper) and experience its effects physically as the wine and the bread are digested and nourish our bodies. As we prepare ourselves for communion, we forgive and ask God to forgive ourselves and others....just as Jesus did on the cross.

In the same sense that Jesus came to (1) fulfill the law, not abolish it, and (2) complete the redemptive work foreshadowed by Old Testament sacrifices/offerings, I believe the Lord's Supper is the "completed version" of the Passover meal.

Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us?

It was radical for the disciples to mentally grasp the concept of actually eating and drinking Jesus. Dietary restrictions prevented the drinking of blood. Juanita commented on how "the life is in the blood" and if one was to drink spilled blood, he would actually be drinking death, in a way. That spurred a thought -- Jesus' spilled blood wasn't dead because He lives! His spilt blood is a life-giving flow! When we drink His "blood", we drink His life. Kind of like a divine blood transfusion. :D So, Jesus wasn't telling them to disobey the law....He was showing them that the Spirit of the law (don't drink death) supercedes the letter of the law (don't drink spilt blood).

The message to us today is just as radical. He lives...and as we commune with Him, we LIVE too. He writes His law on our hearts...frees us from the bondage of sin...and enables us to worship/commune/have intimacy with Him and the Father in Spirit and in truth. Praise Him!

And, now for the disclaimer...I'm no theologian! :) These are just my ponderings...so, as with all new info, test them against His Word in your Bibles and hearts. And, if you discover I've missed something, please don't hesitate to post a correction...thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us?

The significance is stated in John 6:54 .. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up the last day.

The act signifies for us that we become one with Jesus.

It was radical because of the OT. In the OT (Lev.17:10-14) warns the Israelites not to drink blood.

It is radical for us because of the statement in Lev. 17:11 .. For the life of the flesh is in the blood: .. And the bible also states that the wages of sin is death. (Just goes to show that one must know the entire bible as opposed to a few scriptures.)

For me personally, it is a reminder that His body was broken for me, His blood had to be spilt to wash away my sin. It also reminds me that though we are different in so many ways we are all part of one whole.

I guess when Jesus said this to the disciples before His death, they wouldn

Q3. What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us? Exposition

To me the significance of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh is of ultimate importance in that we are taking Jesus into ourselves. We are personally accepting His blood shed on the cross for the forgiveness of sins and His flesh which was broken for us and accepting it into ourselves. This was a very radical idea in Jesus' day and it is still a radical idea today in that there is no other way to heaven but through Jesus. It is not something that we can do in ourselves i.e. if I sacrifice in just the right way and if I keep the law and if ... if I take communion and get baptized and go to church every Sunday ... or if I am a good person. NO, this is a Spirit invitation that God initiates and we reply to it in humility, contriteness and acceptance.

• 2 weeks later...

Eating of His Flesh and Drinking of His Blood... Radical?

Only because I know the Metaphor I have to giggle. But seriously... think about what the Diciples must have thought when Jesus spoke about this. "He cannot be serious can He?"

He (Jesus) is the Bread of Life.

His blood is the washing away of the filth of sin.

Each time we partake of His bread and His blood we are recognizing who He is, who we are, and what we are made of... Flesh; which should bring about repentance before we partake of the bread and blood.

Radical... some may say with their own understanding "how radical could this be... to partake of Flesh and Blood?" But with each chew or grinding on the bread in my mouth I think of the Crushing of His body/flesh... and as I drink of the juice I think upon the blood flow from His crown downward. I am thankful this is Spiritually done.

Isn't that how we feel sometimes when our flesh desires something that is not good for us and when we sacrifice what the Flesh desires it crushes us? And then as we shower the dirt off our bodies we see the residue in the bottom of the tub?

I believe the Bread of Life is the Word and the Word is Jesus. The Word penetrates and rids us of our Flesh... it literally Crushes the Desires of the Flesh. His blood washed over me when I came to Him in repentence and His blood washes the residue of my sins.

• 10 months later...

Q3. What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? The significance of this act is to remind us of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. We are to partake of the bread and wine in remembrance of Him.

Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66)

This was a radical idea for the disciples because they were not permitted to taste blood, and they took what Jesus said literally as meaning to actually drink His blood and eat His flesh. They didn

• 4 weeks later...

The signifance of drinking Jesus' blood and eating His flesh is receiving Him as our personal Savior, having a real relationship with Him. Jesus had just told them that He was the Bread that came down from Heaven and John 1:4 tells us that "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men." When we partake of the bread in the Lord's supper we have bread in the mouth and Christ in our heart.

This was a radical idea for the disciples because they were forbidden to drink blood.

This should be a radical idea for us today because of what our Lord suffered to obtain our redemption. His body was broken and his blood poured out for us.

• 1 month later...

The signifcance of drinking Jesus' blood and eating His flesh is that we are forming a covenant with Him. This signifies that we are ingesting His grace and His blessings. This was a radical idea for His disciples because drinking blood was never an option. This should be a radical idea for us that a man could be so perfect that He would give His life for our salvation.

• 2 months later...

We are to so identify with the sacrifice of Jesus, that we too will do whatever it takes to be faithful to the high call of God, (like Jesus, we are now His sons and daughters) though it cost us our flesh and blood. In other words, we have a blood covenant with Almighty God which has priority over everything else.

The first response was to the literal eating of human flesh and drinking of blood (anathema to any Jew). That idea was totally unpalatable. They simply could not understand what Jesus meant, and could not get around the literal interpretation.

It should indeed be a radical idea to us. Our culture doesn't understand blood covenants, so first off we need to know what this relationship means. It is understood in most societies other than western. We take it too lightly, but there is much involved, eg if we have a quarrel with a brother (or any unforgiveness in our hearts), we are to set that right before we take communion on pain of bringing a curse on ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Matthew 12:25, And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every Kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: Mark 9:2 And after six days Jesus taketh with Peter, and James, and (John), and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them. Mark 10:38 But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (15) John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. ( John had no problem with the drinking of the blood of Jesus, John's, (mother) Elisabeth, and Mary's (mother) were sisters. Their family's were from the priest line. John was 6 months older than Jesus. John knew what Jesus was saying, he had no problem with what he said. ( John 1:26 ) John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (27) He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's I latchet I am not worthy to unloose. (29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

• 8 months later...

THE LORD'S BODY WAS BROKEN SO OURS COULD BE PUT BACK TOGETHER.. ie..FOR OUR HEALING AND HIS BLOOD WAS SHED FOR REMISSION OF SINS. THUS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE LORD'S SUPPER IS NOT ONLY DONE IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM TILL HE COMES AGAIN, BUT IT BENEFITS US TO TAKE COMMUNION REGULARLY. I THINK THIS ACT SIGNIFIES TO ME JUST HOW LOVING AND MERCIFUL JESUS IS TOWARD US.THIS IDEA WAS RADICAL TO THE JEWISH PEOPLE BECAUSE BLOOD WAS FORBIDDEN TO DRINK. THEY HAD TO DRAIN THE BLOOD OF THE ANIMAL BEFORE THEY COULD EVEN PREPARE TO EAT IT.THAT'S HOW OFFENSIVE BLOOD WAS TO THEM.I GUESS IT CAN ALSO BE RADICAL TO US IN THE SENSE THAT WE ARE FIGURATIVELY DRINKING THE BLOOD OF OUR LORD JESUS THOUGH IT'S OFFENSIVE TO MANY....GOD BLESS...

• 2 months later...

It means taking Christ inside of us, taking Him on completely, accepting the sacrifice on Calvary, taking part of Him and He becoming part of us. It signifies becoming one with Him and He with us as He was with the Father. The Jews were prohibited from drinking blood so this was a shocking concept to them. To pour out blood for someone, laying your life down for them is a radical step.

• 3 weeks later...
Q3. What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us? Exposition

Matthew 26;28 For this is my blood - This represents my blood, as the bread does my body.

Which is shed for many for the remission of sins - In order that sins may be remitted, or forgiven. That is, this is the appointed way by which God will pardon transgressions. That blood is efficacious for pardon of sin:

Because it is " the life " of Jesus the " Blood "

PRAISE YOU GOD YOU LOVE US SO MUCH THAT YOU GAVE US YOUR SON JESUS SO THAT WE MAY HAVE LIFE & LIFE TO THE FULL. AMEN :wub:

Q3. What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53-56). Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us? Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples? (John 6:60, 66) In what way should it be a radical idea for us?

To eat of the Living Bread means to accept Christ into our lives and become united with Him. By drinking of the Blood, Jesus was saying that His life had to become their own - "The Blood of the Covenant". Jesus would be the infinal and ultimate sacrifice for sin and the perfect Lamb of God slain on the cross so that our sins could be forgiven.

• 7 months later...

When we eat or drink of Jesus during communion it is a time of remembering His sacrifice. It might have been hard for the disciples to drink because they knew it was against their laws to drink blood. The wine was just the representation of Jesus' sacrifice. I think it would be hard for them because we know what happened to Jesus--the disciples didn't & were acting on faith in Him. Each time of communion should be radical to us--kept alive as to why we are partaking.

• 3 months later...

The significant to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating His flesh it means to accept Christ into our lives and become united with Him. We are united with Christ in two ways :

(1) by believing in His death ( The sacrifice of His flesh) and resurrection and

(2) by devoting ourselves to living as He reguires , depending on His teaching for guidance and trusting in the Holy Spirit for Power .

• 6 months later...

What is the significance to us of drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh. Let's not argue whether this is meant literally or figuratively. Whichever it is, what does that act signify for us?

When we 'drink Jesus' blood and eat His flesh' we are coming together and uniting ourselves to Him and to His death.

Why was this such a radical idea for Jesus' disciples?

For the Jesus' disciples this was a radical idea because the Jews were forbidden to eat any blood:

10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people. 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. 12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood. 13 And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust. 14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.
Leviticus 17:10-14 (KJV)

For many of the disciples these words did not sit well with them, they left and no longer followed Jesus.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
John 6:66 (KJV)

In what way should it be a radical idea for us?

Even today this is not a practice that is accepted in most of our nations.

• 3 years later...

This is significant for us because we do have a covenant with Him and we have to be willing to do the same things that Jesus did. This was a radical idea for Jesus Disciples because the Jews did not drink blood. Some even walked away from Him because they could not handle this saying.

It is a radical idea for us because we know that we can do the same things that Jesus did because we are partakers of this same cup.

• 8 years later...
On 3/27/2003 at 12:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

By drinking His blood and eating His flesh we become heirs to God and Christ and they dwell in us.  It signifies that we’ve become one with Christ, we are His, and He gives us eternal life.  Because they thought it was cannibalism, eating His flesh and drinking His blood.  We see eating any mans flesh is evil and disgusting and drinking blood is evil for the blood thirsty Satanist’s.  But it’s different because He is the Son of God and He says if you don’t drink my blood and eat my flesh you have no life in yourself.