JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:rolleyes: Why is dwelling together in unity so difficult? We want everything our way. We tend to think worldly. Instead of Godly. We are free souls who think individually. With dwelling together in unity. We tend to think we won't be able to be as one. Fear of losing our individuality. But with unity we grow and mature together for God. What kind of commitments odes unity require of us? TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER;BE AGREEABLE;STRONG;FAITHFUL;PLEASANT;KEEP UNITY THROUGH BOND OF PEACE. How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? Unity is made up of impure people trying to become whole and sinless. Pure in the eyes of God. Purity is without fault,blemish;pure;whole; free from sin. Why are reconciliation & unity such high values in Jesus teaching,do you think? For Jesus wants us to be like Him ans his Father. Unity held high for Jesus and Holy Spirit and God are one. Jesus wants us to be as Christ was and is. We must reconize our faults,errors,our sinful ways. In order to seek oneness with Christ. To be unified with one another and with God.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about this short psalm seems to attract you?

How precious God considers unity between brothers in the faith.

"Dwelling together in unity" is often difficult because of lifestyle differences, family backgrounds, personality types, culture,

church denomination, to name a few.

The kinds of commitments unity requires of us is to respect the differences of our fellow believer.

I believe that Jesus placed such high values on reconciliation and unity in His teachings because often He had to deal with problems of disunity among His disciples. Also we show the world we are His disciples when we love one another.

Q3. (Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you? Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think?

The theme of unity attracts me. Christians should be united as per John 17 and many other scriptures.

Unity is difficult due to dogmaticism and narrow doctrines. Unity is difficult because of the "I got it right and you are wrong" attitude. Unity is difficult because of the "unless your in my denomination you are going to hell" attitude. There is much more to add to this, but I'll stop you get the point.

Unity can be achieved through the love of Jesus Christ and agreeing on the essentials of Christianity and agreeing to disagree on the non-essentials.

On the issue of unity and purity and how they conflict, you first most agree upon what is purity? Some thoughts:

Christians can have unity based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The basic message that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, died on the cross for the atonement of human sin, rose again on the third day and now sits on the right side of the throne of God and makes intercession for us.

Jesus is divine and is deity. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life, no man can come to the Father but through Him.

A person must repent of sin and ask God for forgiveness of sin in the name and blood of Jesus Christ in order to have fellowship with God.

Christian faith to be real must be vigorous and alive reflecting a new birth.

The Bible is the inerrant Word of God.

These principles should bring unity to the body of Christ.

A high value is placed upon unity by Jesus because it is in unity that the world sees the love of God at work. Unity is a powerful force. The world breeds division and factions.

Q3. (Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you? Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think?

The idea of unity is what attracts me in this psalm... also oil and purfume are lovely things.

Dwelling in unity is difficult because every one has thier own ways and thoughts and values

and they are reluctant to put their values behind what another values or to compromise on

what they think is right. If people could come to a point where the most important thing

is to love another person or persons and that they may have to put their valued purpose or

value one peg down to be able to love someone and keep unity then there would be less conflice

People who think doctrine must be purely one way. look down and reject and exault themselves as better

than worldly christians who do not hold to the same standards. If you do not see it this way you are to be

ignored pushed our and put under and a split of people happens instead of saying We see you do not agree

with such and such as we do but we all believe that God died for us and we must worship him and we will

agree to worship together and be united over what is basic not what is seen as a thing of conflice . What

is more important to love one another or keep a doctrinal law in the forefront and hate those who do not agree.

Jesus expects us to love and reconcile and be in unity by what is written in his word and his Great Commandment

love God with our whole heart and others as ourselves.So it was God loved even sinners.... us before we were saved

etc. we can at least love one another.

The picture of unity, love and compassion attracts the majority of us but nevertheless, it doesn't exist in the majority of us.

Seeing people working together on one accord does my spirit good, for a house divided among itself will not stand and except God builds a house the labour is in vain.

Unity carries love the love of God; The implication of this psalm is that it is good for brethern in Christ to dwell together in unity. "If there be but one God, as God is one, so let them that serve Him be one. This is what Christ prayed so heartily for. "That they may be one; John 17:21. Christians should be as one all having the same spirit and the mind of Christ.

God works abundantly in unity He bestows blessing upon His people abundantly when they are in unity and on one accord for God is not the author of confusion,

1. This pslam depicts the beautiful picture & truth about unity & this is what attracts me the most.

2. '' Dwelling together in unity '' is so difficult when we do not exhibit the love & compassion of the Lord. For this we need to be connected to our 'HEAD' the Lord Jesus Christ. We need to dwell in the presence of God.Then we'll experience the annointing of the oil of the Holy Spirit flowing down upon us & be immersed in His love!

3.Unity requires of us the commitment of love & faithfulness to the Lord & to one another.

4.Love binds us together whereas hatred, strife,bitterness, unforgiveness, slander, gossip,malice,selfishness,pride,etc separates us from God & from each other.So for us to be united we need to reconcile with God & with each other in the Body of Christ. We must obey Jesus' commandments & love each other [inspite of our differences] to show the world that we are His disciples.

This psalm makes me think of my favorite scripture in Matthew 18:15-18

Mt 18:15

I believe it is difficult because many people do not know how to get alone. So many people want to backbite and do other wrongs. God prayer I know is for all of us to get alone because He said do unto others as you would want them to do unto you.

To me the commitments that unity require is getting alone with one another, treating one another like you would want to be treated, I think the main thing that will create good unity is to stay into the word of GOD, have home Bible studies. When I first got married my husband, his mom, and I we stayed in Bible study and once we got out of it the Devil stepped in and began to work on us all. However, do know how to pray because prayer will get you through any and everything.

• 3 weeks later...

The unity between our bretheran is overwelmimg. I have often prayed for harmony among everybody in this world, so i always wonder how it would be if we all come together in the name of lord.

In today's world it does seem like next to impossible to live in unity with so much hatred and evil around us. But in that if we live a righteous life and love one another it would be visible to others.

God wants us to love one another and that is what he tells us again and again to do through his word. So we should keep this in mind and do what he tells us to do bacause through that we can live in harmony and in unity.

We also have to be pure in our intentions as we love one another and dont expect anything in return. Our love has to be pure like christ's love for us.

I guess if we love one another there would be no enimosity amongst us and in turn we will turn better human beings and can lead a godly life easily.

Because everyone is so different we all have our own ways. To love one another as God loves us. We are to love one another and get on together cause it makes life easier if there is no fighting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing that most attracts me about this psalm is that the unity is brought about from the Holy Spirit, but must be something that we as a community really focus on. It is something we can do, with help; instead of something that we couldn't do without help. For exaple, some passages of the bible I can't understand without the help of the Holy Spirit, no matter how often I read it or how hard I try. But getting along with others usually isn't that difficult if you try (there are some exceptions).

Dwelling together is difficult sometimes because it is easy to be distracted by differences, rather than similiarities. Focusing on differences is easier to do because it is what you see first, before the person speaks or acts.

Commitment of unity requires overlooking some differences, but focusing on the similiarities. It involves forgiveness of transgressions. It involves asking for forgiveness when you realize you were at fault.

Unity and purity don't seem to conflict to me. Unity in Chirst creates a purity of heart.

Reconciliation and unity are necessary to overcome any differences and to come together in Christ.

Being on one accord, united in harmony is very attractive to me. In Matthew 18:19-20, Jesu said, I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them." (NLT).

Philippian 2:2 reads, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

I like how Dr. Wilson defined unity, "not evil compromise but love working itself out amidst the difficulties that tend to divide people." Such difficulties have divided churches, families, friends a like. Unity is precious, pleasant, rich, abundant and refreshing. We must seek after it and nuture it.

• 1 month later...

The part of this Psalm that attracts me is "brothers live together in unity." I think of my 3 precious boys. The times they talk together, help each other and laugh at the same things are priceless. But they also bicker and annoy each other. The same holds true of grownups, even Christians.

Dwelling together in unity is difficult because we are selfish and want our own way. We each think we're right and want others to agree. We find it easier to judge than love.

Unity requires putting others first, loving others, and compromising (though not on the essential issues).

I didn't think unity and purity conflicted at first. But I guess if we all compromise to live in unity, even those who are right and pure (though none of us is perfect) are giving up part of what is good for the sake of unity.

Jesus spoke of reconciliation and unity to teach us that we can best exemplify Him to those who don't know Him if we work together in unity and love.

• 4 weeks later...

What about this short psalm seems to attract you? This psalms attracts me because it is one of unity , it sings of peace and pleasantness. How much more can be accomplished if we dwelled in unity and worked on kingdom building on one accord. Christian unity is good for all, ourselves, our brothers/sisters, good for the lost seeking Christ and for the world, for a loving heart has pleasure and gives pleasure to others of like spirit. Proverbs 27:17 says " As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? Many call Christ, Master and Lord, who are far from serving him. They serve carnal fleshly and worldly interests. Since we are imperfect, some of the worlds evils, and unpleasantness is sure to get in the way of unity.

What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? Unity requires us to be of one mind in the truth. Joining together and working together to do that which is good and pleasing in the sight of God. To turn from evil, especially when all involved are involved in it.

Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think? If there is but one God, as God is one, so let them that serve Him be one John17: 21). How sad it is to see Christians wearing Joseph's many colored coat, to have so many opinions, going in so many directions, allowing Satan to sow seeds of discord among them. He first divides us from God, and then he divides us from each other. If God be one, let us all who profess Him as Lord and Savior be of one mind and one heart and fulfill Christ's prayer for unity.

• 3 weeks later...

Unity is the main theme of this Psalm. In my bible it says that this was a song of ascends. I am not sure what it means, however i would think that this could have been the time when he was fleeing from Absalom. The need for that hour would have been the requirement of unity among the brethren. With this assumption, i am fascinated to see David admiring unity among the brethren. I long to see unity in the house of the Lord and this theme really attracts me.

Dwelling together in unity comes only from being one in Christ under His(Word of God's) authority.

We need to have an attitude of humility and say to ourselves "For He must increase and i must decrease"

Unity in Christ is essential, however there may be differences between different denominations with regard to purity. However in my opinion purity precedes unity and every person must be true to what God has revealed.

Without unity there is anarchy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED READING THIS PSALM BECAUSE IT SPEAKS OF UNITY, PEACE AND A QUIET CONTENTMENT OF THOSE WHO DWELL TOGETHER IN ONE ACCORD.IT IS SOMETHING I USED TO LONG FOR AS A CHILD GROWING UP IN A LARGE FAMILY FILLED WITH STRIFE AND BICKERING. IT IS SO DIFFICULT TO DWELL IN UNITY BECAUSE WE ARE EACH SO UNIQUE WHILE AT THE SAME TIME VERY SELFISH AND UNAPPRECIATIVE OF THOSE WHO DONT LOOK LIKE US OR ACT LIKE US.I THINK UNITY REQUIRES US TO BE COMMITTED TO WALKING IN LOVE TOWARD OTHERS DESPITE THEIR RACE, COLOR, DENOMINATION, ETC...I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THE AREA I STRUGGLE WITH MOST AS A CHRISTIAN IS MY LOVE WALK; IT'S HARD FOR ME TO CONSISTENTLY WALK IN LOVE.I THINK UNITY AND PURITY CAN BE CONFLICTING IF ONE HAS TO COMPROMISE TO KEEP THE UNITY IN THE MARRIGE , IN THE CHURCH, OR IN THE FAMILY. RECONCILIATION AND UNITY ARE VERY HIGH VALUES IN JESUS' TEACHING BECAUSE THESE THINGS CAN HINDER OUR LOVE WALK AND THAT'S WHY WE'RE COMMANDED SO MANY TIMES IN SCRIPTURE TO FORGIVE OTHERS OF THEIR OFFENSES AND CONTINUE TO LOVE AND PRAY FOR THEM...GOD BLESS..GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

Psalm 133 is a song of ascent, a song that the pilgrims used to sing while climbing the mount of Zion on their way to the temple of Jerusalem. Although it is one of the smallest of all the psalms, its theme is among the grandest in the Bible. How to live together in peace may be considered the primary theme of the Bible and of every other Holy Scriptures of humankind. The Bible begins with the Garden of Eden where life is fully integrated, and it ends with Revelation, which closes with a vision of the new heaven and new earth where life is fully integrated once again. Discord occurs in the Garden of Eden itself. Humans break an agreement with the almighty, and they refuse to apologize for their mistake. This results in a totally disintegrated world. Prophets spoke of a good future when there will be total integration when people will change their swords to plowshares.

Please refect on this!!

PAX

• 2 weeks later...
What attracts me is the idea of brothers and sister Christ coming together to worship the Lord. With so many interpretation of the bible, it seems we get in our own way and not allow God to minister to us for understanding and we cut God off with our attitudes. if we genuine desire to have unity, we must suppress our flesh and let God arise in us to have the unity that David is talking about in this text. You can have unity and still not be pure, unity comes from agreeing together and purity comes from lineing up with the Father and man a times have made there own agenda which sometimes are not a pure agenda. Reconcilitation are important to Jesus because it show him our heart for righteousness and if we can be united in it we can do more for the lost sheep that He is trying to reach through His disciples walk

• 1 month later...

Immediately upon reading this Psalm, I was flooded with peace. It is a very simple song, comparing unity of brethren to anointing and to dew on mountains. Immediately I thought of baptism, the precious ointment being the waters of life which are the Word and Spirit of the Christ.

Baptism and Water are what brings us together as Christians and unifies us. The Christ is called the prince of peace, and constantly in the NT he and his followers preach unity rather than disparity. What comes to my mind is Paul's rather dry and oft repeated circumcision message found for example in Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision;but in faith which worketh by love. Here Paul is saying that religious differences mean nothing to those who follow and believe in the Christ, but faith and love, and all Christians are purified and brought together by such.

Later in Gal 6:15-16 Paul writes For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature..and as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

The new creature he refers to is one of many, part of a unified church, also referred to in the following epistle to the Ephesians as the perfect man, the new man, the body of Christ. (Eph 4), we are members of one another (Eph 4:25) and in Eph 2:14 says of Christ, For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us.

We have to commit to each other in order to achieve peace, to become responsible for eachother's well being and actions. This is difficult, but ends loneliness and isolation, snares of Satan, who would have us believe that we are apart from one another and therefore worthy of each other's judgements.

Unity and purity are seemingly at odds because when we think of purity we don't think of diversity within, we think of one, alone, single, not the many associated with unity. This seeming disparity is dissolved in my mind in Paul's discussion in Eph 4 of the many as parts of the body of Christ, working together as a whole towards perfection.

I think reconciliation and unity are important to Christ's teachings because he wants us to to have salvation and stop crucifying one other. Simply, he loves us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...