JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 95

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE ARE COMMANDED TO WORSHIP THE LORD BECAUSE HE IS OUR MAKER, OUR SHEPHERD, THE ROCK OF OUR SALVATION AND BECAUSE OF HIS GREATNESS; NO ONE ELSE LIKE HIM. EVEN THOUGH THIS IS A PSALM OF WORSHIP, THERE IS A WARNING TO THOSE WHO HARDEN THEIR HEARTS BECAUSE OBEDIENCE TO GOD IS PART OF OUR WORSHIP UNTO HIM. GOD DOESNT WANT ONLY OUTWARD SUBMISSION AND EMPTY WORDS BUT HEARTS SUBMITTED TO HIM IN TRUE PRAISE AND ADORATION. FOR OUR WORSHIP TO BE SINCERE UNTO GOD, IT MUST ALSO BE TIED IN TO HAVING A HEART THAT IS OBEDIENT AND WILLING TO SERVE HIM...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

In Psalm 95 we are commanded to worship the Lord. What are the reasons why we should worship contained in this psalm? Why do you think the warning in verses 8-11 is included in this psalm? How does this fit with the earlier elements of the psalm?

Psalm 95: This is the one God who really deserves our praise because He is the great God, the king of all gods. The poet does not deny the existence of other gods, but affirms that God is like a king who rules over all other gods. God advises them not to harden their hearts as their forefathers did. It is not enough to praise and thank god, we should also be willing to listen to Him, and live according His will. If we are not willing listen to God, our praise and thanks are empty and meaningless.

This is similar to what Jesus asks people to have a heart similar to the good field but not like the rocky places. He also said that those who enter the Kingdom of God are not the ones who call Jesus

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Psalm 95) In Psalm 95 we are commanded to worship the Lord. What are the reasons why we should worship contained in this psalm? Why do you think the warning in verses 8-11 is included in this psalm? How does this fit with the earlier elements of the psalm?
We are commanded to worship because is the Great God who has created and blessed us throughout the earth. Everything has God done for us and we recognize and give our praise and worship for what he has done. God wanted David to reflect on how the earlier generation who had personal seen God work and did not worship wound up a lost generation and we that are left should not forget what God has done and worship Him. The first part of this psalm start with worship and this a lesson that we all should do and that is start each day by worshiping the Lord

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 95) In Psalm 95 we are commanded to worship the Lord. What are the reasons why we should worship contained in this psalm? Why do you think the warning in verses 8-11 is included in this psalm? How does this fit with the earlier elements of the psalm?

In this Psalm, we are commanded to worship the Lord with thanksgiving as He is our maker and also the creator of heaven and earth.

I think the warning is included because, like sheep referred to in verse seven, we often stray, first in our hearts, then in our actions. Like sheep, we cannot rely on our own intelligence not to get lost, away from God. It is a constant task for the shepherd to keep track of his sheep, and the Lord, with his warning, is just doing his job.

The warning fits in with the earlier elements of the psalm because, sheep don't survive away from their shepherd for very long. The psalmist commands his listeners to remember who they are, and uses God's first person voice to make the point more real.

A good song about The Good Shepherd can be found by following the link below:

Matthew 18:11-13

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We should worship God because He is God, a great God, a great King, He is above all Gods, he is Master, Creator and He owns the deptss of the earth, the sea and the land, even the highest moutains are His.

Because God loves us and He doesn't want to turn away from us. If we harden are hearts towards Gods way we will not enter into his place of rest, his promises.

We must stay close to God through worship, praise and thanksgiving. We must be obedient and remember Gods judgment in the past, to often we forget to praise and to be thankful and we also forget the judgment that can follow

• 3 months later...

He is the Rock of our Salvation, a Great God and King. All the earth is His. We are His sheep and He protects us with His life. The warning in the verses is that God not only hears what we say but sees our hearts. Obedience is worship to God. Since we are the Temple of God we need to give our lies wholy to Him - Romans 12:1-2, presenting ourselves as a living sacrifice wholy acceptable to God, which is our resonable service, and to not be conformed to this World, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. I have also found that when my heart is not right, that I can ask God to help me to be more obedient, and to have the right heart for the circumstances.

• 2 months later...

So many of God's creation worship just God's creation. Why not go directly to the creator you has done all this. His chosen people wandered for (40) yrs. because they refused to turn unto God. Let us learn from that experience and not wander for yrs. in the dry barren places. Let's raise our voices in praise and worship now. Just remember the bumper stickers that said 'Don't make come dowm there. Signed God' Because he loves you and I he'd rather not. Anyways one day 'every knee shall bow, every tounge confess' so go ahead and do it up front it's a lot moe fun, and it comes with blessings to boot.

• 4 weeks later...

We should worship because God is our creator and He has responsibility to care for us. That He has enough love to want to care for us. I think the warning is included so we will not ignore the voice of the Holy Spirit, so we won't become less and less sensitive to the desires of the Holy Spirit, so that we will hear and obey His word. The earlier elements, we are to sing for joy, we are to shut aloud to the Rock of our salvation, and we are to give Him our thanksgiving. It fits because they are expressions of our worship to God.

• 4 weeks later...

In Psalm 95 we are commanded to worship the Lord. What are the reasons why we should worship contained in this psalm? Why do you think the warning in verses 8-11 is included in this psalm? How does this fit with the earlier elements of the psalm? We should worship the Lor because He is the Rock of our Salvation. He is the King above All king and He is Great the Great I'am. God created everything in Heaven and on Earth. He is our True and only God that takes care of us, we are his children. In verses 8-11 God is warning us that we don't want to be like the generation of our past. We need to listen to his command, follow it, and be obey it no matter what. God don't want to be angry with us, he have given us a chance to repent and get out of our sinful ways but it's our choice. Like he told those in the past when Moses was to lead his people to the promise land, because of the deaf ear to hear the command of the Lord it took them 40 years to get to the place were God was trying to direct them. Something when we want what we want we will often hear what we want to hear this is when God is telling us to unclover our eyes and see that we are about to commit a sin. We need to carefully adjust and focus on our life in truth and spirit of what we are doing that is not pleasing to our Lord. We don't want him to become angry with us, so the warning is in place we must take it and live by it. I Love you Lord

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 95) In Psalm 95 we are commanded to worship the Lord. What are the reasons why we should worship contained in this psalm?

ANS - Because he is a great God, the great King above all Gods. In his hands are the depth of the earth and the mountain peaks belong to Him. The sea is His and His hands formed the dry land; He is our God, and our Make. We are the people of His pasture, and are under His care.

Why do you think the warning in verses 8-11 is included in this psalm? How does this fit with the earlier elements of the psalm?

ANS - Because obedience is as much a part of worship as the other expressions of praise. If we are not worshipping through our obedience then we are warned we cannot enter his rest. :(

• 2 months later...

One of the reasons why we should worship God is simply because he is a "GREAT GOD" "GREAT KING ABOVE ALL GODS". I will forever praise God simply because he IS GOD. Another reason why we should praise is because he is our shepherd. We have Family and friends on earth who do take care of us when we need it, but God IS the ultimate shoulder. The forever Kleenex box and strong tower in our lives. No Judgment and no condemnation. Our Flesh is unable to not do those things, so God being our shepherd above all others is another reason to praise him.

As we worship God and enter in, we become more in tuned to the holy spirit and what God has to reveal to us. Corporately or individually. It is the best time for us to receive a warning or encouragement from God himself with our hearts opened and more ready to receive it.

Gosh I LOVE you GOD.

- because He is our Rock (vs. 1)

- because He is the highest king (vs. 3)

- because He controls the earth (vs. 4)

- because He is our shephard (vs. 7)

The people rejected God and therefore they were doomed to die in the desert.

The earlier elements are about praising God - here it is about the opposite.

• 4 weeks later...

God is our creator, and creator of all things. This is too much to really comprehend, but we can offer praise. There is no other God, though this world worships the stock market, football stars, all the wrong things. We even worship ourselves over God.

We do not do His will and verses 8-11 are a reminder what will happen, as did those who wandered 40 years til they were dead. Can we afford to make such statements in our mind? God hears us. We pray for forgiveness, and we praise Him with all we have!

God is our creator, and creator of all things. God is our rock, our firm foundation. This is sometimes too much to really comprehend, but we can offer praise. There is no other God, though this world worships the stock market, football stars, all the wrong things. We even sometimes worship ourselves over God. If we need to be "commanded" to worship Him, it is ok; but better yet to worship and thank Him from a position of LOVE, for His unfailing grace and mercy, despite our ways of living, doing and often forgetting Him is critical moments.

We do not do His will and verses 8-11 are a reminder what will happen, as did those who wandered 40 years til they were dead. Can we afford to make sinful statements in our mind? Worse yet to act out things that He doesn't want us to do! God hears us, and sees us. We can not hide from Him. He knows our choices and reminds us with this Psalm what will happen if we don't obey. We pray and thank Him for His grace and unfailing forgiveness, and we praise Him with all we have!

• 4 weeks later...

We should worship the Lord for His greatness and for all that He has done for us and to us. We should worship Him for who He is... our best friend and the one who fills our hearts and souls... in good times and in bad times... both on the mountain top and in the valley...

I believe the warning is included in this psalm because we are to remember how easy it is to deceive ourselves... we're being told to worship NOT just for outward appearances but for TRUE and HONEST feelings which stem from a loving close relationship with Our Lord!

I believe this fits with the psalm as it shines a light in our paths, it shows us that we must be sincere in our worship, that we must offer our praises followed by obedience... this psalm teaches us to NOT do as our forefathers have done ... and remained in the desert for 40years!

• 3 months later...

He is our rock of salvation, he is the great God, the great King above all gods, he owns the earth.

Because the people went astray in their hearts and could not receive what God had in store for them. God had plans for their lives and they ruined it by lacking faith. We need reminding God does stay true to his promises and that we are never forgotten.

This fits with the earlier elements of the psalm as it displays that God has control in all things and what happens to those who do not shout joyfully. The israelites who wandered the desert needed to learn how to worship God whole-heartedly.

We are commanded to worship the Lord, and Jesus himself said, I command you to love one another. This can only be accomplished if we love the Lord and are able to feel more deeply how much he loves us. We are his creation, made perfect in his plan for each of us. Our time is short here duing this life and when we have missed the signals to feel his love and then to worship him, we are distancing ourselves from God and have the danger of eternal separation. We know he will not let us go too far off with9out correcting us. We pray the consequence of these lapses of independence and disobedience are not too painful, and that we learn ASAP why it makes so much sense to accept his unfailing love and grace and bow to his perfect plan and his will for happiness in our lives.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=664

Psa 95:1-11 Come, let us praise the LORD! Let us sing for joy to God, who protects us! (2) Let us come before him with thanksgiving and sing joyful songs of praise. (3) For the LORD is a mighty God, a mighty king over all the gods. (4) He rules over the whole earth, from the deepest caves to the highest hills. (5) He rules over the sea, which he made; the land also, which he himself formed. (6) Come, let us bow down and worship him; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! (7) He is our God; we are the people he cares for, the flock for which he provides. Listen today to what he says: (8) "Don't be stubborn, as your ancestors were at Meribah, as they were that day in the desert at Massah. (9) There they put me to the test and tried me, although they had seen what I did for them. (10) For forty years I was disgusted with those people. I said, 'How disloyal they are! They refuse to obey my commands.' (11) I was angry and made a solemn promise: 'You will never enter the land where I would have given you rest.' "

The reasons for worship are as follows.

God protected us (vs 1)

He is a mighty God, a king over all other Gods (vs 3)

He rules over the entire earth (vs 4-5)

He cares for, provides for and loves us (vs 7)

I think it was included just to let us know that as much as God cares for us, He can also be angered by us and our continual sin.

It is a direct contrast to the earlier parts of the Psalm. The first part tells us how great God is and how we should worship Him and bow down to Him. The second part is a warning from God, telling us not to be stubborn (vs 8) :rolleyes:

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=664

Psa 95:1-11 Come, let us praise the LORD! Let us sing for joy to God, who protects us! (2) Let us come before him with thanksgiving and sing joyful songs of praise. (3) For the LORD is a mighty God, a mighty king over all the gods. (4) He rules over the whole earth, from the deepest caves to the highest hills. (5) He rules over the sea, which he made; the land also, which he himself formed. (6) Come, let us bow down and worship him; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! (7) He is our God; we are the people he cares for, the flock for which he provides. Listen today to what he says: (8) "Don't be stubborn, as your ancestors were at Meribah, as they were that day in the desert at Massah. (9) There they put me to the test and tried me, although they had seen what I did for them. (10) For forty years I was disgusted with those people. I said, 'How disloyal they are! They refuse to obey my commands.' (11) I was angry and made a solemn promise: 'You will never enter the land where I would have given you rest.' "

The reasons for worship are as follows.

God protected us (vs 1)

He is a mighty God, a king over all other Gods (vs 3)

He rules over the entire earth (vs 4-5)

He cares for, provides for and loves us (vs 7)

I think it was included just to let us know that as much as God cares for us, He can also be angered by us and our continual sin.

It is a direct contrast to the earlier parts of the Psalm. The first part tells us how great God is and how we should worship Him and bow down to Him. The second part is a warning from God, telling us not to be stubborn (vs 8) :rolleyes:

It is a good "call" to me the part about being stubborn. Many ways to say and feel this. We have habits, we don't "see" the falseness of some of them being SIN, but it does eventually come to us, or at least to me. God commands us to love others like he loves us, but we don't have this habit. He says bee meek and humble, which for me means don't manipulate others for things that you want, rather seek to server others and be selfless. Thinking of others needs first, or to "walk in their shoes" before judging or even speaking, this is a new way of being for me, a difficult way. Recognizing how I operate seems to be the critical step in the process, and then recognizing it is not what Jesus would do, far from it.Let my/our hearts not be stubborn, let them be like opening flowers to Jesus truth and love. Let the Lord and the Holy Spirit of God do its work in our stubborn hearts. Amen,

• 4 weeks later...

He is:

The Rock of Salvation, The Great God, MY Maker,Our God,King above all. Because we can still go astray after we have worshiped Him(empty words).Worship is nothing (void) without obedience.It still has the theme of worship, If you say you love and worship me why aren't you obedient?

• 2 weeks later...

We should worship God because he created us. the earth and everything in it not we ourselves. He is our God and we are his people. He not only created us but he sustains us because he cares for us.

The warning is included as a reminder of the circumstances that led to their forefathers not entering the promised land. Instead of being grateful and faithful, those delivered from Egypt complained and wanted to turn back. They forgot who God was to them and what he had done in their lifes. He was angry with that generation for 40 years and they did not make it to the place that God has set out for them.

The earlier verses give instruction to express their thankfulness through song and praises and bowing down before the Lord because of his loving kindness and care. God has taken into account all of their needs, but he loves us deeply.

Psalm 95 begins with a call to worship Jehovah. This is followed by reasons why we should do this. Then warnings follow about becoming "hardened" in the heart. The importance of seeking to hear God and obey is critical today as it was back when the Psalm was written.

Lastly, when someone 's heart becomes hardened they are stubbornly set in their ways and cannot turn to God. This does not happen all at once ,it is the result of many choices to ignore God's will and God's commands. This keeps us from receiving God's blessings. So we are warned not to harden our hearts, but to reject sinful thoughts and activities and anything in the world that turns us away from God.