JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We have to forgive because we are going to participate in something that reminds us that we are united to each other and to Jesus in love.

A spirit of love, mercy and acceptance should prevail, not one of judgement or criticism, since that is the example we have received from Jesus and that is how we are to view each other. His blood was poured out for our sins and if we believe that, it should overflow in the same attitude to others.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.) Exposition

It is very important to forgove others before partaking of the Lord's Supper because God has forgiven us. So who are we not to forgive when God has forgiven us? The Lord's Supper is all about accepting the forgiveness that was presented at the cross by Jesus, so turning around and presenting unforgiveness would be sin and shows a non understanding of what God has done for us.

• 2 months later...

We are called as Christians to lead a life that reflects Jesus Christ's life as closely as possible...which, unfortunately is not very close at all. If He was willing to give his life to seal the covenant for the forgiveness of our sins (Matt 26:28) than we need to be willing to swallow our pride and forgive our brothers. And it is pride that stops us from forgiving. It is pride that gets in the way of communication when we get hurt. It is this pride that God abhors, because it is the root of all evil, of all sin in this world. So, as we forgive or not forgive in this world, so God forgives or not forgives us! (Matt 6:14-15) If we are not forgiven and we are partaking in the symbol of the covenant of forgiveness which Jesus gave us.... we are not right inside nor are we right with God. If we are not right with God and we partake in His supper then we are sinning against the body and the blood of Jesus.(1 Cor 11:27) We are not following His most basic examples and commands. We are mocking Him if we cry "forgive me Lord!" and yet hold those around us unforgiven. It is never good to mock the Lord!

So we need to examine our hearts and make everything right inside and extend the mercy and forgiveness that Jesus showers on us, to those whom we are holding accountable and put away our pride BEFORE we partake in the bread and wine and ask for forgiveness from God.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Forgivness, goes all the way back to the Old Testament, wherin the burnt offering of sin, was placed on the alter to God. ( Leviticus) 16:25, And the fat of the sin offering shall he burn upon the altar. (17:6) And the priest shall sprinkle the blood upon the altar of the LORD at the door of the taabernacle of the congregation, and burn the fat for a sweet savour unto the LORD. (17:11) For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. (21:23) Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sancturies: for I the LORD do sanctify them. (22:22) Blind, or broken, or maimed, or having a wen, or scurvy, or scabbed, ye shall not offer these unto the LORD, nor make an offering by the fire of them upon the altar unto the LORD. (In other words don't bring me anything that is not pure, or blemished. I don't want your junk.) Jerimiah) 31:34 And they shall teach no more every his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (REPENT) BE HONEST ABOUT IT AND I WILL NOT REMEMBER ANY OF YOUR SINS.) How many of us today, can be trusted to bring an un-blemished lamb to the alter for our sin offering. God knew this was not going to work for his children of today. His plan was to help us, by sending his son. So in the New Testament, (Matthew) 5:22 (Jesus speaking), But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. (23) Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee: (24) Leave not there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. (Matthew) 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father shich art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (10), thy Kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (11) Give us this day our daily bread. (12) And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. (13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever Amen, (14) For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: (15) But if ye forgive not men their trespassed, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Mark) 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blasphme: (29) But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost (Spirit) hath never forgivness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. (30) Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit. (Mark) 4:12 That seeing they may see, and not preceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them. (Mark) 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. (26) but if ye do not forgive neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses. (Luke) 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? (Luke) 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. (Lluke) 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. (17:3) Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. (4) And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. (23:34), then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. (Acts) 8:22, Repent therefor of this thy wickedness, and pray God , if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. (26:18) To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgivness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Ephesians) 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, and tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for christ's sake hath forgiven you. (Colossians) 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the Kingdom of his dear Son: (14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgivness of sins: (Colossians) 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (1 John) 1:5 This then is the message whch we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (6) If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: (7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one wiith another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (1John) 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. (Mark) 14:22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it , and gave to them, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.( 23) And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. (24) And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

• 8 months later...

SOME PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD HAVE BEEN HURT BADLY; ABUSED WHETHER VERBALLY OR PHYSICALLY; SOME MOLESTED ;SOME REJECTED AND ABANDONED BY FAMILY AND LOVED ONES.WHETHER THE PAIN IS PHYSICAL OR EMOTIONAL, WE ALL HAVE BEEN HURT BY OTHERS AND OTHERS HAVE HURT US AS WELL. WITHOUT THE POWER OF FORGIVENESS WE WOULD BE FILLED WITH BITTERNESS, HATRED AND ANGER TOWARD THOSE WHO HURT US. UNFORGIVENESS CLOGS UP YOUR SPIRIT AND KEEPS YOU IN BONDAGE TO THE ENEMY.FORGIVENESS SETS ME FREE FROM MY ABUSERS.THEY MAY NOT DESERVE IT; THEY CANT DO ANYTHING TO EARN IT; BUT WHEN I CHOOSE TO FORGIVE I'M BEING JUST LIKE JESUS, MY HEAVENLY FATHER.ONLY WHEN I FORGIVE CAN I TRULY WALK IN LOVE TOWARD OTHERS.

BEFORE TAKING THE LORD'S SUPPER WE MUST EXAMINE OUR HEARTS. HOW CAN WE GO BEFORE THE LORD AND RECEIVE FORGIVENESS FOR OUR SINS DAILY AND REFUSE TO FORGIVE A PARENT WHO HURT US?IN ORDER TO RECEIVE HIS FORGIVENESS WE HAVE TO EXTEND FORGIVENESS ALSO. IT WORKS BOTH WAYS.FOR THESE REASONS THE LORD'S SUPPER AND UNFORGIVENESS ARE INCOMPATILBLE; IF I WANT MY SINS FORGIVEN , I'VE GOT TO CHOOSE TO FORGIVE NO MATTER HOW DIFFICULT IT IS. I MUST LET GO OF PAST HURTS AND PAINS SO I CAN WALK IN THE PRESENT WITHOUT HINDRANCES......GOD BLESS....

• 2 months later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible?

Forgiveness is what the cross is all about. The Lord's Supper is what is done to celebrate and remind us of the cost of our forgiveness, the very Life of our Lord. When we partake with unforgiveness in our hearts we show arrogance, pride and a complete lack of understanding and/or respect for the cross and what it means and stands for. In the church at Corinth some had become ill and some even died because of taking communion unworthily.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.) Exposition

We need to forgive those who sin against us so that we might be forgiven, That is why Jesus died, It is an abomanation to partake of the LORD'S SUPPER with unforgiveness in our hearts. :(

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

Eating the bread and drinking the cup shows that we are remembering Christ's death for us and renewing our committment to serve Him. We cannot do this with unrepented sin that has not been forgiven. We should examine ourselves for any unconfessed sin or resentful attitude and be properly prepared.

• 2 months later...

:( 1 Corinthians 11:27 says we are not to partake of the Lord's Supper unworthily. So if we have unforgivness in our hearts then we are sinning. In order to partake we must forgive.

Matthew 26:28,Jesus said when they took of the cup,this

is my blood shed for the remission of sins and Matthew 6:

14-15 says that if we do not forgive others,he will not forgive us.

• 4 months later...

We need to have forgiven others before we take communion. If we are remembering Jesus' sacrifice for us--paying for our sins/forgiving us, how can we not forgive others. If I am harboring sin in my life & leaving relationships unforgiven I am denying Jesus' forgiveness of my sins--hypocritcal. :-(

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible?

We are commanded to forgive. What stands out to me is that Jesus himself forgave those who were killing Him. That is something that is uncomprehensible then and still today. The murder of the innocent carries heavy penalties and many have paid. Some have escaped punishment but they too will receive punishment.

Jesus was without sin, His heart was love, His mind was focused on the Father's business...everyday of His life.

If I am to partake of the Lord's Supper in remembrance of him, I cannot allow anything to be between us. I must forgive those who have offended and hurt me. If I cannot forgive them, how can I seek to identify with Him, His sacrifice and resurrection?

I must not have anything that would seperate me or dishonor a remembrance of Him. This is one of our greatest challenges. I pray for myself and others who face this challenge.

• 3 months later...

If we refuse to forgive others , God will also refuse to forgive us . Why ? Because when we don't forgive others we are denying our common ground as sinners in need of God's forgiveness . God's forgiveness of sin is not the direct result of our forgiving others , but nis based on our realizing what forgiveness means . It is easy to ask God for forgiveness but difficult to grant it to others .

• 5 months later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper?

It is important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper because we were commanded to and if we don't forgive we will be guilty of partaking of the Lord's Supper unworthily.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1 Corinthians 11:27-29 (KJV)

As the Apostle Paul admonished us, we must examine ourselves before partaking of the Lord's Supper. If in our examination we discover that there is a sin that we need to repent of and seek forgiveness and at the same time there is a person who has offended us; we must deal with this later issue even before we seek forgiveness for our deeds. We cannot hope to receive forgiveness from the Lord if we do not forgive those who trespass against us.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV)

In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible?

The Lord's Supper is a commemoration of forgivemess, when we come to the table we should come with clean hearts, worthy of the bread and the cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1 Corinthians 11:29-30 (KJV)

• 7 months later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

It is important that we forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper because God has forgiven us for our offenses and sin toward Him. How can we not forgive others for offending us? God has commanded us to forgive others and James said that if we fail to do what we know to be good, we sin. The sin of omission. In addition, the Royal Law: "Love your neighbor as yourself" applies in forgiving others.

The Lord's Supper is all about forgiveness. There is no place for unforgiveness in the life of the Christian, especially while celebrating the Lord's Supper.

• 4 months later...

It is important for us to have a clean heart when we receive the body and blood of Our Lord. He has taught us to pray His prayer: The Our Father, which asks for forgiveness of our sins as we have forgiven others. If we do not forgive others, then how can we be forgiven of our sins, and thus we are not worthy to receive Communion.

• 4 weeks later...

The Lord's Supper is a representation of our Lord giving of himself for us, the forgiveness of our sins through his sacrifice. To partake without forgiving others (to accept forgiveness without the willingness to extend the same to others) takes away from his gift and from the importance of it.

We cannot rob God, He doesn't want us to be hypocrites, it would be nonsense to say each time in our prayers:" forgive us our depths as we have also forgiven our debtors", are we lying God...? . to go to the great party of forgiveness with our fellow's offenses, right upon our heart, not forgiven.

As the light is incompatible to the darkness, so it is for the party where we share the joy of our justification and the stone heart showing against our fellows.

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper?

If the Holy Spirit has brought to my heart a situation, an offence that I must take care of, and at that time I chose not to forgive (I do believe forgiveness is vital to a Christians life) however, for whatever reason I chose not to forgive

• 10 months later...

Communion is about the Body of Christ: the broken body which is seen in the bread, the shed blood which is why we drink the wine...and the Body of Christ, the church, our unity with one another under His headship. Unforgiveness is disunity. It opens a rift in the Body, a damaged Body. Participating in unity is what the Lord desires. He commands us to examine ourselves: are we one with God, or is there sin creating a barrier between me and my Father? ...and are we one with our community? Is there something that needs forgiving, that someone has done to me, or that i've done to someone? We must remove the barriers and participate in full love, of God and of each other.

The warning in 1 Cor 11 is not some idle threat. God will deal with sin in the congregation. Examine yourselves, and do not partake unworthily. But go to the Feast knowing that the Father loves us and sets a table before us. He invites us to the feast. He desires our presence at His Table.

Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

It is important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's supper because we cannot be forgiven if we don't forgive and we should not partake of the supper unworthily.

:D

We must look in to our hart and sole if we have wrong someone, or Hate(that = murder) this is aganst the geat commands To Love The Lord thy God and to Love each other. If we cant do that then are we christans? (You could be if you are new at this but you need to clear this up and pray for help. Hate the sin not the person.) When He is in us we can do His will. We need to come to His table as a famley not fragmented He wants us hole, togather. Taking this supper is to rember His deth and rising to life, and all the things He taught. Being Broken (always seeking forgiveness rembering or falts trying to not repet thoughts sins will bring forgiveness this is not simpel for all but thay can do it. Jesus is wonderful.