JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4 God sent His Son into the world as the sacrificial Lamb for the remission of our

sins. Through Christ's death, God forgave all our sins. In the Last Supper Jesus

has made a covenant with the apostles through His body and blood for the

forgiveness of sins. We need to forgive others so that we can obtain peace in our

lives, our neighbours as well as with God. Partaking of the Lord's Supper is very

sacred. You are called to receive something holy and pure in the Body and Blood of

our Lord Jesus Christ. As we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, we need to be

careful not to contaminate ourselves with any impurities before the meal. If we

partake in an unworthy manner, we shall be guilty of the Body and Blood of Christ

and will be judged. In order to allow Jesus to enter into us we need to be like

Him when He forgave His persecutors at the cross. John 20:23 said: "If you forgive

the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any,

they have been retained."

Sacred and corruption are incompatible. The Lord's Supper is something so pure

and holy and cannot be defiled by something that is unclean (unforgiveness).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper?

The Lord's supper is in memory of Jesus' death, burial and resurrection, that provided His cleansing for all of my sins. It would be dishonoring to the Lord to take Communion, when I refuse to forgive others sins against me. I'm told to examine myself before Communion to "detect my shortcomings and recognizing my own condition"...a reminder to keep a clean slate of others sins as well as my own.

In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

The Lord's supper is acknowleging His convenant with me that I'm forgiven and delivered from Bondage to sin (and unforgiveness toward others). It's hypocrisy to take Communion while harboring unforgiveness in my heart. This would be a display of self righteousness...."my sins are forgiven, but I'm going to hold yours against you!"

• 3 months later...

It's important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking in communion because as we remember Christ and the sacrificial offering He made for us for the forgiveness of OUR sins, we need to likewise forgive others as we have been forgiven. This reminds me also of the parable of the man who was pardoned of a great debt only to go and demand payment for a small one owed to Him. We are not to be ungrateful for what was done for us and to be sure to extend that to another. The least we can do is forgive as we were forgiven.

To not forgive is totally contrary to everything we proclaim in our faith. Communion is about a "oneness" in the body of Christ with Jesus, so as He did for us, we should do for others. Even if the sin against us is on going, very wrong and with seemingly no hope of resolution, we can still choose to forgive and live free in ourselves knowing we are called to forgive and in our own hearts, desire to not hold offenses and bitterness that are`really only harmful to us individually and as a body.

• 7 months later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? Unless we forgive we cannot receive forgiveness which is really what the Lord's Supper is all about. He gave His life, body and blood for our forgiveness and redemption.

In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.) They are completely the opposite and cannot coexist. Just like light and darkness cannot be in the same space.

• 1 month later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

It is so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper. Jesus died so that we might receive forgiveness for our sins. He forgives us first so we might also be able to forgive others. If we do not forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper we are bringing condemnation upon ourselves.

The Lord's Supper and unforgiveness are incompatible because God is love and there is no hate in him. God is light and no darkness in him. He abhors sin.

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

It is a command from Jesus to forgive those who have offended us. Paul admonishes us in 1 Corinthians 11 to examine and judge ourselves before partaking of the Lord's Supper. If we do not forgive we are bringing condemnation on ourselves and we cannot receive the grace and benefits that flow from the Lord's Supper.

The Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible. We cannot live in hostility with one another and partake of the Lod's Supper. Unforgiveness is rebellion towards God.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus taught us to pray, "Forgive us our sins AS we forgive those who sin against us", ie: in the same way; to the same extent. If we do not forgive others, we ourselves will not be forgiven.

As the Lord's Supper is a confirmation that we are forgiven, we cannot partake until we fulfil our part to forgive others first.

:wub:

Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

We need to forgive others before taking of the Lord's Supper because we need to do this in honor and remembrance of the blood sacrifice that Jesus made for us. If we just do this as a religious duty and do not have forgiveness toward others, how can we expect our Father to forgive us freely ?

Matthew 26:28; His blood poured out for many.....He did this for me and you......

1 Corinthians 11:27; We need to partake of this with respect so that nothing can be held against us.

Matthew 6:14-15; We need to forgive others so that we can be forgiven.

5:23-24; If we have anything against our brother, it is better not to take of the Lord's Supper and hget ourselves right with that person.

James 5:16.) We need to confess our sin and wrong doings, and pray, pray, pray

• 1 month later...

Q4.

Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper?

Our Lord Jesus died on the Cross and shed His blood to forgive us our sins, and it would be the height of hypocrisy to expect Jesus to forgive us our sins but not for us to forgive others who have hurt or offended us.

In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

The Lord

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper?

Because we are expected to forgive others that have offended us, in the same way God has forgiven us of our sins. When we come before the Lord to take commumnion we are to be right with our brothers and sisters, forhiving them as we have been forgiven by God.

In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible?

How can we continue to have an unforgiving heart towards others, when Jesus died on the cross so that we may be forgiven of our sins. What God has forgiven; how can we still hold others in contempt for.

• 1 year later...

It is important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper because he first forgave us and promptly forgot our sins.  They are no more.  In the Lord's Prayer it says "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."  In order to be forgiven we must forgive.  Forgiveness is part of the greater plan and it involves love.  We cannot love without forgiving.  we all sin and we all need forgiveness.  What we have done for another may well have been Jesus Christ himself!

• 10 months later...

In order to fully partake in the Lord's Supper, we need to be at peace and have a truly peaceful heart. We need to come to the table of the Lord prepared to receive graces and love from both Jesus and God. We can not just receive the body and blood of Christ because everyone else is doing it. We need to really put our hearts and souls into it.

• 3 weeks later...

As Christ has forgiven us of our sins by his death, we should examine our conscience to be sure we have not offended anyone or God and to ask for his  forgiveness before partaking of the Lords supper.

The last supper was instituted because of the remembrance of Jesus sacrifice for our sins. Unforgiveness is the opposite of what Christ has done for us on the cross. if we can't forgive someone else how can he forgive us?

• 5 months later...

First of all we must remember that Jesus poured out His blood for many for the forgiveness of sins. Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

If we forgive other's that sin against us, our heavenly Father will also forgive us. If you do not forgive each other's sins, the heavenly Father will not forgive you yours.

If you offer a gift at the alter and then remember that someone has something against you, leave the gift at the alter and go make friends with that person then come back and offer your gift. Also confess your sins to one another and pray for each other that you may be forgiven.

Jesus Himself set us the standard for worshipping at the Temple. He told His followers that if they have anything against a brother they should reconcile that before coming into God's presence. He also told them . . and us . . that if we do not forgive people who've wronged us then neither will God the Father forgive us. Very sobering words. That is something I've been struggling with for a very long time because plenty of people who've wronged me are still doing it to this day! Also, the life I lead today is a consequence of what happened up to 45 years ago when I was in high school. It's the very hardest thing to let all of that go and to not think about how people's actions impact our lives. That's part of forgiveness . . letting the person off the hook. Not constantly reminding yourself of the wrongs done you is an integral part of forgiveness. 

Every now and then I take time to actually forgive anew everyone I can think of who've wronged me. I believe we have to do that because even though we say the words, do we actually forgive? Do we actually fully let them off the hook? If we somehow or in some way get an opportunity to exact revenge, would we take it? To my shame I might . . and no jury on earth would convict me for it. But God would, and that's the whole point.

Jesus suffered and died . . and rose again . . so that all who believe in Him might be forgiven. If we then selfishly don't forgive others we're denying Jesus' sacrifice it's power.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible? (Consider Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:27; Matthew 6:14-15; 5:23-24; James 5:16.)

Since the Lord's Super is about the forgiveness of sins if we refuse to forgive those who have dined against us doesn't it nullify the Lord's Supper and don't we make a mockery of it.  Since Christ died for me while I was still a sinner does it not compel me to do the same (forgive) those who have sinned against me?  So the Lord's supper and unforgiveness are incompatible.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 months later...

Why is it so important to forgive those who have offended us before partaking of the Lord's Supper? In what sense are the Lord's Supper and unforgiveness incompatible?

We cannot approach God with unforgiveness in our heart. We have to forgive so that we can be forgiven. The Lord's supper is all about forgiveness and sacrifice. It would not be compatible for you to celebrate forgiveness and then not to forgive yourself.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We come to the Lords table as a reminder of what the Lord died on the cross foe,and that is the forgiveness of our sins. How can we expect forgiveness from the Lord for our sins if we are not willing to forgive our fellow man.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Forgiveness and Communion