JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us? How does confession enable us to get free from sin? Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves? What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

Self-deceit operates with sin to enslave us because it will not permit us to see ourselves as we truly are, to avoid elminating those things in our life that God doesn't want in our lives. Our self-deceit attempts to justify what we do whether right or wrong. Self-deceit trys to justify sin, thus keeping us slaves to our sins.

Confession airs our sins to the light of day and forces us to face them. We sometimes resist the truth about ourselves because we do not wnt to admit we are wrong or in error. Or simply because we do not want to change our lives.

Sometimes it takes God to rock our world with some situtation to see the truth.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us? How does confession enable us to get free from sin? Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves? What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

We try to ignore it, put it to the back of our minds so that if we don't acknowledge it can't be there. By confessing we feel free our spirit is lifted.

We resist the truth because we don't want to fade up to what we are becoming or have become.

Sometimes it takes someone to tell us other times we just get that feeling from God that we are doing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Self deceit works with sin to cover it up and hide it (as though we could). Another word for self deceit might be to "justify" our sin. If that hadn't happened then I would not have done this. Another way we self deceive is to play the blame game. It's always someone elses fault thus relieving me of any responsibility. We see this in people from 2 to 92.

Confession first of all makes us accept responsibilty for our sin and makes us look fully in the face of the sin we have committed and say this is what I did.

We like to think we are better than we are. We don't like to look and the ugly evil side of our personalities. We dont want other people to see our flaws either.

A two edged sword. Sometimes a confrontation of some sort to see clearly what is what without the self deception. I remember a time I was very into church, but had slipped into some sin that I knew was going to destroy me and all that God wanted me to be. I thought I had it hidden and that "nobody knows" (one of the great lies of satan). I went to church and heard the preaching of the Word and conviction fell on me and God convicted me of my sin and I repented and went home and made things right that very day.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us?

Self-deceit is as destructive as sin is. Both can enslave us because it becomes all about us, instead of all about Him.

How does confession enable us to get free from sin?

When we repent and confess our sins, God forgives us and we are free again.

Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves?

We don

• 2 weeks later...

How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us?

It enslaves us when we do not fully accept responsibility for our actions and our iniquities. It is human nature to cast blame elsewhere for our wrongdoing. This goes back to the original sin. Adam said that woman you gave me and Eve claimed it was the serpent's fault. We we fail to admit our full cupalibility, and place blame, we have to always be mindful of what was said to whom as the lies and half-truths can and will often entrap and enslave us.

When we accept full responsibility for our wrongdoings, admit our fault both to God and the person wronged, it opens the door to forgiveness. Forgiveness is freeing as it gives us happiness and peace because the burden and guilt of the sin has been lifted.

Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves?

No one likes to admit that he/she was wrong. One of the biggest begetting sins of man is the sin of pride of being made to feel foolish in front of our peers. We will oft times compound sin because of this pride. We may know at the heart of the matter that we are wrong, but getting us to admit it publically is another matter. I believe sometimes foolish man will take the truth to the grave rather than admit cupability to someone else. When we resist admitting the truth even to ourselves we close the door on God's forgiveness, because we are not right thinking in that we forget that nothing is or can be hidden from God.

What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

It takes conviction by the Holy Spirit. Sometimes it takes being beaten up by God continuously for us to see and confess the truth of our wrongdoing. Other times it takes the truth being exposed for us to admit blame and fault. I dont know why we as humans choose to make our paths rough, if by simply confessing our sins and seeking forgiveness, our path will be made smooth, we then seek the hard road.

• 4 months later...

Self deceit operates with sin to enslave us by having us turn a blind eye to our sins, or to minimize it, whereby it is easy to perpetuate and it continues to enslave us. Self deceit is also a sin in itself. Any kind of dishonesty is, see Luke 11:33, "No man, when he hath lighteth a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light."

Confession to God enables us to be free from sin because we acknowledge to Him that it is sin, and to ourselves , are honest about what it is and that we should turn away from it.

Once we bring it out into the light, it becomes powerless because we know what it is, and suddenly are aware that we should not do it.

We resist the truth about ourselves, I believe, for two major reasons.

1) guilt

2) pleasure in sin

We either become paralyzed by guilt and thus deny sin, and or we take pleasure in our sin and are reluctant to give it up.

David describes in verses 3 and 4 a feeling of death and dessication, when he keeps his sin inside and does not confess. A friend of mine and I were talking about sinning recently, and he told me that when he has sinned, the Lord won't leave him alone until he acknowledges his sin and turns from it. This experience is described by David in verse 4 as the hand of God, heavy on him day and night.

The Lord is our Good Shepherd, and He comes to find us when we stray.

• 11 months later...

With self deceit, it can enslave us because we are not facing our sin, we are trying to push it back, thinking it is nothing, it won't hurt anything. Before we know it, we are doing one sin after another. When our sins are concealed, we are in agony and it brings a penalty. Acknowledging and confessing sin with an honest, sincere, and repentant heart will always result in God's gracious pardon, the removal of guilt, and the gift of His abiding presence. I think we resist the truth about ourselves because it can hurt and our ego. To get us to see the truth, sometimes it takes hurting our feelings, takes us going through trials, and to get our ego out of the way. We can have our joy back and restore our relationship with God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us? How does confession enable us to get free from sin? Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves? What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes? Self deceit with sin enslaves us because it keep us trapped in the same lifestyle without growing me Christlike. We are slaved to what controls us. We are become like our slave master. Confession is a big part of the key to free us from our sinful nature. We will be release from the thing that we acknowledge that is a sin in our life only if we confess truly with our heart. We resist the truth about ourselves because it is a trap of the devil for us not to see us for what we are but to focus on others. The devil don't want us to get it right. He only want us to stay stuck in the pits of hell. But we must look at ourselves in every situation of our life that we ask God that what is it that you want me to learn for this not, looking at are not being deceited that we are not doing are participating in sin. We must be honest about those things that we know we are doing wrong. After all our Father know and see EVERYTHING, so why not be honest. Sometime it takes a tragic situation to let us see our wrong. Sometime it may take God to sure us ourself in dreams, a family or friend may reveal something to you that you know the Lord spoke to you about. Sometime it will take you to lose it all and hit rock bottom to the point where only you will come back to God.

• 2 months later...

When we sin, we try to make ourselves believe that it is not bad.

For example, lying to granny that her gingerbread is delicious.

Lying is not good but there are worse lies, right?

The last is true but that doesn't mean that little lies are allowed.

When we sin, we have to do other sins to cover them up.

David committed adultery and tried to cover it up by murder!

Because you're so afraid the truth comes out, you make more and more sins.

Than you're a slave of them.

Confession breaks their tie.

We don't like to admit that we sin because this damages our perfect image.

Many times, something bad has to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us?

ANS - We rationalize it away, convincing ourselves it is not as bad as it could, or there is a justifiable reason for our "misbehavior", and that it is no big deal.

ANS - We get our sin out in the open, to the light of God's mercies and forgiveness.

Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves? What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

ANS - Due to our pride and unwillingness to be open, honest, and transparent. Sometimes God has to put a situation or significant jolt into our path to get our attention, and force us to face up to our sinfulness, and repent of our wicked ways. This is what happened to me, after years of being bound by *********** and sexual addiction.

• 1 month later...

Self-deceit destroys us by avoiding the situation. We know what we did was wrong, but we decide to fill ourselves with our own secular forgiveness by worldly things. I know I did a long time ago fill my void by my own control. But praise God his grace helped me out.

When we confess our sins and the things we have done there is a sense of freedom and reconciliation with God. Thats his true heart is for his children to come back to him, confess, and to live a pure life with him

Most of the physical and emotional things that we deal with, will be released cause of the forgiveness we receive from God.

Sometimes it takes a slap in the face or wake up call to realize the power and grace that God has for us. I got one.. it did me good

"Self-deceit" - Fooling ourselves:

We fool ourselves with 'rationalization' as to why we do things or put up with things/others-behavior, not communicating with "tough love" when disappointed. We become willingly trapped in patterns of behavior, becoming enslaved in sin of actions and omissions. Earthly-love is destroyed between couples which delights the devil and eats away at our soul.

If we begin to reach out to Gods, even if we do not know why, it doesn't matter. God's wisdom and grace are so attractive it "tempts" to uncover what it is. this happens by studying the word with others, learning how to pray, learning how to recognize how we fool our selves. God can bring this on with strong emotional experiences that appear as mini-life crisis. The longer the 'self-deceipt' has occured th elonger it takes to unpeal, unless the life crisis is very powerful.

In David's case, as a God fearing man he still sinned in seeing the beautiful woman, fornicating with her, and then killing her husband. Only a powerful king could do this and escape from public punishment; though David would regret it later in seeing how his children behaved against him.

• 3 months later...

Self deceit is lying to yourself. You will end up in a circle, going round and round and eventually down as you create lies to cover up and to try and hide the truth. It messes with your mind as you begin to reason with yourself on how to justify your actions. This then can bring in others, and it enslaves us as we usually don't know what to do.

Confession helps us to know that we are forgiven, we can feel free to tell others of our failures and if you tell the right person they can hold you accountable and help you to see where you went wrong and how to fix it so it won't happen again.

Sometimes truth scares us, I know it has done for me. truth can hurt us as we just want to stay in our happy or safe place. Other times we can also be so out of touch with God that we think our sin is unforgivable.

Holy Spirit and his conviction. Sometimes it takes an outsider looking in to help you to see the truth, but at the end of the day it is up to God because it is Him that reveals all that is hidden. If you cannot see it, God will intervene.

• 2 months later...

It enslave you by you feeling that God will not forgive you or want you have done id so bad that he will not heard you pray of forgivness. We are free from sin because we have convest it God or to a minister. Because we want to believe that we are always right and we are never wrong even when we know we have sin.Sometime someone that see or know that we have sin have to tell us.

• 4 weeks later...

By minimizing my sin. Confession relieves us of guilt. and bring back into commune with God. Sin separated me form my Savior. Admitting my sin is painful to my flesh, revealing my true self to myself as well as others. The facts being brought to our attention by another.

• 2 weeks later...

Self deceit works with sin to keep an individual blinded to the extent and nature of his/her sin. Self deceit allows for one to justify sin or just pretend that the act is really not sin, Confession moves one out of the shadow and bondage of sin. Confession expresses truth and the trust helps to make us free. Sin involves keeping secrets which is bondage and pretense. Very few people want to look at themselves in the mirror. Scripture says that once a man turns from the mirror they soon forget what they say. It's hard to admit that we have sinful ways. Sometimes we don't admit the truth until God executes a consequence. Then we must assess our sinful ways.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5)

How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us?

To cover up our sins and yet come before our Lord pleading our innocence, is the height of dishonesty. We should never come before God and try and rationalize our sins. God is all knowing and there is nowhere to hide.

Our sins will be forgiven only when we confess them in a sincere, frank, and honest way. Also with a repentant heart! Martin Luther said,

• 3 weeks later...

Self-deceit and sin work together slowly to eat away at our strength and our spirits. It piles on guilt to enslave us in our sin. When I confess my sin, the guilt rolls away and I have nothing to hide. As the song says, "I am free to run and live for you" in a place where my sin and my guilt can no longer reach me. I know that I want to resist the truth about myself sometimes, because I do not want to expose the guilt and wounds of my sins to others or to God. It seems easier to live with the pain than be vulnerable and open to possible misunderstanding. For me, I need to see the miraculous work Christ does to free others to see that I must do the same thing to experience the same freedom. Then, God promises, "I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." (Ps. 32:8)

• 6 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us? Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves?

Jeremiah said that our hearts are wicked and deceive us. We want to believe and we want others to believe that we're "good". Self righteousness seems to be in-born since the fall and so we minimize or conceal our sins, deny that we sin or have character defects and flaws and blame others or the devil. That deception is what hinders the unsaved from coming to Jesus for salvation. It's what draws people into cults, which rely on self effort to "reach God." The things we "hide" are the secrets which enslave us. When we refuse to "name" the sin, it's easier to continue in it. (I remember when I first came to Christ that my family would tease me about exaggerating facts. They did it enough that I talked to the Lord about it and asked Him to deliver me from this "habit".....This is what I heard in my spirit: "If you will call this what it is, I will deliver your from it" When I tried to "name" it, I realized it was lying! What a shock! I thought I was just making stories more interesting! But when I called it sin, the exaggerating became a thing of the past!)

Confession "uncovers" the sin and brings it out into the open where the offense and shame is dealt with and forgiveness can take place. When we name the specific sin and receive forgiveness for it, the devil can no longer torment us with it. Confession exposes the secret to the Light of God's Word and the truth sets us free. Guilt is replaced with Gratitude for the cleansing blood of Jesus!

What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

Humility. Conviction of the Holy Spirit. Honesty. The desire to be set free from bondage and the awareness that we ALL fell with Adam and have fallen short of the Glory of God... that was the purpose in Jesus death, burial and resurrection...to redeem me from the curse of sin. What a glorious Savior! What a loving Father! What a precious Holy Spirit....all provision has been made so that I can live in love, peace and joy with a clean conscience, in fellowship with my God!

• 3 years later...

The way that self-deceit operates with sin to enslave us is to keep reminding us of what we have done that was sin. So every time that we want to correct someone else, this will come up in our minds. By confessing those sins to enables us to get free of the sin because we know that God has forgiven us. It can no longer be used against us.

We resist the truth about ourselves because we don’t want to think that we have sinned and that it was only a little sin and it shouldn’t bother God that we did it. Sometimes it takes another Christian to help us see what we had done and we will be able to see the truth.

The way that self-deceit operates with sin to enslave us is to keep reminding us of what we have done that was sin. So every time that we want to correct someone else, this will come up in our minds. By confessing those sins to enables us to get free of the sin because we know that God has forgiven us. It can no longer be used against us.

We resist the truth about ourselves because we don’t want to think that we have sinned and that it was only a little sin and it shouldn’t bother God that we did it. Sometimes it takes another Christian to help us see what we had done and we will be able to see the truth.

• 11 months later...

I think the root cause of self deceit is pride (1 John 2:15). Often, it ts when I think I have made it- i think more of my self than what I should (Romans 12:3). That is the time when I am brought crashing back down to earth again, as it were. I think it is God that helps me to realise that without him I am nothing (Gal 6:3). God also uses other people, to help me to realize and  acknowledge my inadequacies and wickedness!

Instead of trying to cover up my sin and making excuses (which I still do from time to time-each day??). David in Psalm 32 points out that with confession and acknowledgement to God (and to others) God forgives my sin (32:5). In the commentary of verse five the notes describe the word forgiveness as: (to) "lift, carry, take." Pardon, forgive and forget.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 32:2-5) How does self-deceit operate with sin to enslave us? How does confession enable us to get free from sin? Why do we sometimes resist the truth about ourselves? What does it take to get us to see truth sometimes?

Self-deceit is a protection mechanism that we use to shield against the pain of facing our sin. We then are bogged down by the thoughts of being out of fellowship with God. It' like a brick wall that we build, it affects our prayer life. When we confess and repent it tears down the separation between us and God. Unfortunately sometimes it takes loss of something important in our lives to get us to realize that we need to repent.

• 1 year later...

One of the purposes of the Old Testament is to point out to people what sin is and secondly that we sin. Prada sins may not have a personal Confessor to help them determine their sins. It is necessary that to pray to God so that Jesus our mediator will come to us and convicte us of our sins. If we do not take the time to pray and Ponder upon our sins we will not realize that we have sinned. If this is so then we will not confess our sins and receive pardon.

In order to confess our sins we need to be aware of them. The process of confessing then is to bring the things out before us so that we can place them for God in front of him and in front of our mediator Jesus Christ. Jesus well then cover our sins with his cloak of righteousness and we shall be washed as white as snow. However, if we do not bring the scenes out before us we are not aware of them and Jesus will not be able to protect us from the wrath of God.

Sin is a terrible burden to bear. It pushes us down and crush us so that we are not able to enjoy all the good aspects of life that God has given us- creation, our relationships with other people and with the Holy Trinity. People are naturally arrogant and proud and often we do not want to admit that we are on able to do everything for ourselves. Hence we tend to do our sins and pretend that they did happen. We hope that thing will go away.

Often we need a good hard kick to remind us who we are and our place in the universe. We need this kit to make us realize but we are really, the scum of the Earth. And it is only through the grace of God and his gift of his holy son that we are able to stand before God with our heads held up for his son has saved us from his eternal Wrath and have prepared a place for us in his home of many mansions.