JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Guest Terry Coffey

I think that Jesus had to grow as a human being in order to experience the human condition; the Bible says He was man and God...100% human and 100% God....humans have to go through the growth process; mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. So, our perfect Savior, did.

It was necessary for him to be born like a normal human, so why wouldn't he also have to grow? We can assuredly know that he went through all the same emotions and trials that all of us face, which is one of the things that makes it all so wonderful--he's truly our Friend, not just our Savior.

I've heard whacked-out theories from non-Christians who say Jesus traveled to the Far East, like India and maybe even farther, during the years between 12 and 30 and that's where he got all his wisdom. I don't know where people get this stuff, except it's a way for them to somehow bring in things like reincarnation and Eastern mysticism into their beliefs. :unsure: It makes me sad as I have family members who are into this "New Age" junk and I'm praying for them daily.

Guest queenie

As God loved the world so much that he had to give his only begotten son as a sacrifice. God had to send jesus down on thi searth to live among men, hence he had to have a greater understanding from god to deal with every situation he would come across he had to have an answer to every question that was put forward by men. He had to tackle them wisely

Hence even though Jesus was the son of God he had to grow in understanding and wisdom.

Jesus was born as a man and like a man He had to grow and experience all that other men do. He became manlike when He was born and went through all of the experiences that other men did. Growing in the Lord is one of these experiences.

Guest Guest_Julie

:) Praise the Lord for this, for if Jesus did not have to grow in understanding and wisdom

He would not have experienced the same things we did, because of this growing He is able to understand us and share in our emotions and communicate with us.

Guest Jenifer

I believe that Jesus had to a model for us. We are called to be like Christ. If he knew everything, then there would be nothing for us to model.

This way we can see that we can grow in our faith and experience greater wisom and understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_brad griffin

it was essential for christ to experience the growth process as we do. this gives him more credibility as a saviour when we learn jesus lived a sin-free life growing though the same trials we do instead of being granted immunity to situations we face.telling us to "turn the other cheek" when he was never slapped in the first cheek wouldnt have been as effective. just knowing that jesus matured on earth,was corrected by his parents, learned by his trials, earns so much respect for jesus' walk on earth.

Guest IN_A_MELLOW_TONE

All of the key words to that question (understanding, grow, wisdom) takes time and patience. I agree with all of the other posts but I also think it symbolizes man in his most perfect state still has to go through the whole process of becoming a man. What better person to make an example of this than Jesus? Also to carry the burden of the cross, feeling the worlds pain, and not forgetting being tempted on the mountain, were all crucial elements that added to his wisdom. This is cool. You could think about this one all day.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Jesus had all the understanding and wisdom as God, but He had to endure the same situation now as a man, He had to learn from the point of view of the flesh, fight temptations, fleshly desires, learn obedience from his earthly fathers, learn to share His wisdom with people that were astray from God's love, people that were rejecting God's offer, people that have stonned God's prophets. I believe that as we saw later in Hid ministry, many times the leaders of the jewish religion rejected Him, because we was telling them the truth about their sinful ways.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jackie Brown
1. Since Jesus was already the Son of God, why did he have to "grow" in understanding and wisdom? (2:40, 52)

:D To my understanding, (why Jesus had to grow in understanding and wisdom) is to show us as born again christians the steps we need to take in this christian walk. Jesus first entered this earth through flesh, being the son of God. My interpertation of this line, tells me that we as christians, first were born in sin and then had to be born again , meaning we had to confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved (Rom:10:9) after doing this the growth of Jesus shows the pathern in which we need to follow. Jesus being the son of God did not have to grow in wisdom and in understanding, because he is already the Meshiah, but Jesus did it any how. Jesus did the walk on earth in that manner for us the born again believers to grow in this way. We first need to get understanding, and thats by reading the bible daily. Wisdom comes by us reading the bible and studing. Wisdom help us to be wise with the choices we make also keeps us in line with God. Through all this we gain knowledge of the word. With having wisdom, knowledge and understanding it help keep us in tune with God, that when we go out about our Father's business that we'll be ready. :)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1. Since Jesus was already the Son of God, why did he have to "grow" in understanding and wisdom? (2:40, 52)

I think the reason Jesus had to grow is because one of His purposes here on earth was to show us, human beings, He was also in our skin. Therefore knowing what we go through as we grow and change. It just another example of how close we are to God and how close He chose to be with us. How wonderful. :P

• 2 years later...

I think this is a lesson for us. We may think that we know it all, but we need time to mature emotionally, spiritually and even physically. We know from studies of the teenage brain that certain judgment functions are not fully developed. Jesus being 100% human would be subject to those laws of nature.

• 1 month later...

Jesus was born of a human Mother, therefore he had to learn like we do. So that he would experience our ways, and understand our failings, and our strengths. So that when the time came for his ministry, He would be able to preach on the peoples intelligence, and understanding.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...
On 12/8/2002 at 12:58 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Even though He is the Son of God, He still went through childhood like any human has to.  Growing in wisdom and stature or size.  He had to be protected from Herod when He was a child in the gospel according to Saint Matthew.  He wasn’t Baptized until He was about 30 years old by John the Baptist.  Then came the temptation from the devil, and Jesus used the Word of God like the sharp weapon it is the truth against lies.