JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"? What are the earmarks of this condition? How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin? How does humility relate to this condition?

IT IS A PERSON THAT IS EMOTIONALLY CRUSHED BECAUSE OF SIN.

IT DIFFERS BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS A SIN AGAINST GOD NOT JUST ANOTHER PERSON.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"? What are the earmarks of this condition? How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin? How does humility relate to this condition?

A broken and contrite heart comes when you are truly emotionally and spiritually brokenhearted at the sin that you have committed against God. Not because you got caught but because you realize the awefulness of your sin. I see very little of that these days. I even feel very little of that in my own life. Godly sorrow seems hard to attain. There has been so much self justification and so much of a lethargic spirit in the house of God that a broken and contrite heart seems to be a mythe.

Humility is always a good place to start in any thing. Pride and conceit will keep you far far away from the touch of the Masters Hand. Humbling yourself and yeilding yourself to God is the only way to achieve any good thing from God.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"?

" For I acknowledge my transgressions" When we openly declare that we have sinned, not as a plea seeking forgiveness, but letting God know that we need mercy and acknowledging that only He can grant it. "My sin is ever before me" I can have no rest or peace Father, other than I cast myself at your feet and beg for mercy praying that you hear my prayer. " Thou hast made me willing to confess. Lord put it away both from me and thee.

What are the earmarks of this condition? How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin?

" Behold Thou desireth truth in the inward parts:...." God doesnt want outward virtue, "lip service," He desires inward purity. It is only when we know when, how, where and what sins that we have committed against God, that we have a true relevation of how far we are from satisifying God's commands.. God doesnt care for the pretence of purity, He looks to the mind, heart and soul. " Always has the Holy One of Israel estimated men by their inner nature, and not by their outward professions;to him, the inward is as visible as the outward, an he rightly judges that the essential character of an action lies in the motives of him who works it."

How does humility relate to this condition?

" And in the hidden part thou shall make me to know wisdom." We openly confess and ask God to make known, sins of ommission, that we commit unknowingly. We want God to teach us the truth about ourselves, things that we may have preceived as right, but were sinful in the eyes of God. No one can teach us our innermost nature, but God, and He can teach us so that we profit by the knowledge. We can only be better stewards of His Word as the Holy Spirit write God's Law on our hearts and we gain wisdom from it.

• 4 months later...

A sinner achieves a broken and contrite heart when he lets go completely of sin, recognizing the havoc it has wreaked in his life, how it has mangled his soul, mangled other people, and wounded God, with the sinner's own complicity. Then he stands, asking God for forgiveness and guidance, willing to listen, and act according to the voice of God.

Humility is an earmark of this condition, and recognition of the self as untrustworthy, recognition of the need for God's forgiveness, cleansing, and leadership. Being sorry for a sin is only halfway there. When a sinner is sorry, he still hasn't completely let go of sin. He just perceives it as sin, but isn't ready to act. Being sorry is a dim light compared to a broken and contrite heart. A broken and contrite heart shows willingness to let go of the self, into God's hands, and let God start his miraclework.

• 11 months later...

God will not turn away a broken and contrite heart that is full of remorse for sin and heavy with grief because of its wickedness. When our self seeking and proud attitude is brought low and we cry to God for His forgiving grace, we can be sure that we will be accepted by Him. I think the earmarks is confession, true repentance, and praying. Just being sorry, you have not truly repented. We are not realizing the damage and the sin against God. We are in a state of denial. Humility is a character of God. When we come with a broken and contrite heart, we will be humble before God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"? What are the earmarks of this condition? How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin? How does humility relate to this condition? One one is broken because of sin, with the condition that we are not sadden by the fact that we not only sin but we broken the relationship between us and God. We are not sorry about the fact that this sin has cause our Father to not be connected and we are sorry about the sin but we are not sorry enough to acknowledge our Father and the hurt that was caused from our actions. We must learn to humble ourself and not have let pride take control over our sinful nature. We must go to our Father and ask for forgiveness and for our sin to be forgiven.

• 2 months later...

When we suffer emotionally because of what we have done.

We have to be sincere.

People say sorry all the time without really meaning it - to justifie themselves but not for the other to feel better.

When we're to proud, we cover up our sins and can't be completely sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"? What are the earmarks of this condition?

ANS - Submitting to Him with a humble, repentant, and broken heart.

How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin? How does humility relate to this condition?

ANS - Repentance means a complete commitment to turning your life around and walking away from the past. Humility is having a submissive attitude to the Lord, and goes hand in hand with having a repentant heart.

• 1 month later...

David's sin had "made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt" (2 Samuel 12:14) sop he was the worst example to those who saw how he lived. Then even if God forgives him, the consequences of this sin are later manifested in how his children treat him. If we lack deep sadness for our sin against someone that relationship that has been injured and must be restored by a true contrite heart; experience has hsown me that this doesn't work with humans who hold bitterly the pain of that sin against them. We know that David said "Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, " But our sins can break others and our hearts at the same time. An eye for an eye can kill love or bury it deep in disappointment. When we hold onto our pride, for any reason, we cover up our sins and aren't deeply sorry enough to get the forgiveness we think we are seeking; we are in such cases really messed up. In such cases, only God can heal this and make us new. when we learn to love again by receiving His love, we can help othe3rs to heal over time and we need to remind them that it is by God's love that this can happen, no other way.

Only when we recognize that sin has caused our relationship with the heart of God to be completely broken, can we be motivated to seek to be reunited with Him. Being 'sorry' brings only a band-aid to a heart but not a complete healing. We must humble ourselves in recognition that we cannot fix our own heart by the 'self-application' of the "I'm sorry" band-aid, but must seek the complete healing of the Great Healer, the Lord God Almighty. Band-aids are worse than useless to heal a sinful heart.

• 2 weeks later...

When our heart is actually physically hurting and our body collapses due to our knowing of the wrong we have committed and knowing that God was there, the crying the yelling, the anger and forgiving, the many sorry we've said and the true heart to change. Thats being broken, When you are lying flat on the ground face planted on the carpet, with the ugly cry in place and a kleenex won't due. That's being broken... When you go in a parking lot and yell at the top of your lungs spitting and crying and not caring what the world might think of oyu. Cause if they only knew, then they would of joined in. Humility is the opposite of Pride. And when we brake that Prideness from us, humility sets in, and so does everything else. At a moment where you can be in visible position to everyone watching and you not caring, cause God is soooooo worth it all and good.

• 3 months later...

To achieve a broken and contrite heart, one must have a relationship with God, one where their desire to please Him is so great that even the utterance of foul word can upset the person and their conscience tells them not to do it again. We need to be so connected with God that our heart beats in time with His, that the thought of something wrong clicks in our feeling of guilt and remorse. You must be willing to follow the ways of the Father.

A sincere heart is a mark of a broken heart. One that can be honest with others and that knows how to work in tune with God. A closer relationship with Him is another earmark because you are getting more in touch with His desires and you are putting away your own pride and admitting to failure over something. Also an earmark could be a heart that accepts correction better from others around it.

This differs as it is a deeper level. Sorry is a felling that usually comes from a person not wanting to do something again because of the reaction to their action. Having a broken heart is saying "Jesus, I stuffed up. It makes me sad that I let you down again because I did not want to be responsible for the death of a man."

HUMILITY= a modest or low view of one's own importance. It relates because you see yourself as not as important to God, unworthy of this attention or even thoughts about you. Humility lets God in to do a work in your heart because your own pride does not block Him out.

• 3 months later...

By having a humble and repentant heart, who has changed .

physically and emotional crushed, realizing our separation from God because of sin.

Being sorry sometimes seems a little superficial or shallow, sorry because I got caught, not because I've offended my Savior.

I think humility makes a broken or contrite heart realizing what I have done over and over again, realizing my dire need for a Savior. Left to my own devises I am forever lost.

• 2 weeks later...

A broken and contrite spirit are only achieved when we recognized that we have sinned against God and God alone. A contrite heart is recognized as deep sorrow and shame before God. When we recall that during our sin God was actually a witness to our transgressions. Being sorry is a head thing being contrite is a matter of the heart.A broken heart is a convicted heart and you can only plead guilty as charged. In fact, you are embararrased that you even put God in a position to have to watch you sin especially where His enemies can see. Because a heart hardened by sin will not relent and admit to sin but an humble spirit will be ready to bow down to a God who is ready to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

A broken and contrite spirit are only achieved when we recognized that we have sinned against God and God alone. A contrite heart is recognized as deep sorrow and shame before God. When we recall that during our sin God was actually a witness to our transgressions. Being sorry is a head thing being contrite is a matter of the heart.A broken heart is a convicted heart and you can only plead guilty as charged. In fact, you are embararrased that you even put God in a position to have to watch you sin especially where His enemies can see. Because a heart hardened by sin will not relent and admit to sin but an humble spirit will be ready to bow down to a God who is ready to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Psalm 51:17)

How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"?

It is a heart that is crushed or broken by the weight of guilt.

What are the earmarks of this condition?

A genuine sorrow for the sins committed and the hurt inflicted upon our Heavenly Father.

How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin?

Besides being sorry there is a determination of never committing this sin again and a true repentance and turning to Jesus.

We then come in true humility before God pleading for forgiveness. We know we do not deserve any forgiveness but rely upon God

• 3 weeks later...

A broken and contribute heart comes when I sacrifice my life. I give up trying to do my own thing all the time. In this condition, I am willing to do whatever it takes to allow God to change me on the inside so that I may become God's man. I seek Godly counsel and do what I need to do to walk in victory over sin. On the other hand, someone who is "sorry" does not have a plan to change. He is just sorry that he was caught. I must come to God in humility if I wish to leave a "whole" man.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart?

I BELIEVE THE HOLY SPIRIT'S CONVICTION MAKES US AWARE OF THE GRAVITY OF OUR SIN, AND WE ARE BROKEN WITH SORROW....NOT BECAUSE WE WERE CAUGHT, BUT BECAUSE WE SINNED AGAINST GOD.

ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT WE HAVE DONE RATHER THAN JUSTIFYING OR MAKING EXCUSES OR BLAMING SATAN OR OTHERS. HUMILITY AND REPENTANCE.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO BE SORRY FOR A SIN AND THEN SKIP ON DOWN THE ROAD WITHOUT A CHANGED HEART. A BROKEN AND CONTRITE HEART IS A CHANGED HEART...ONE THAT WANTS ONLY WHAT GOD WANTS AND LIVES TO PLEASE HIM. SORRY MAY BE JUST AN "APOLOGY" WITHOUT THE DESIRE FOR A CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR. IT'S A HEART THAT KNOWS FELLOWSHIP HAS BEEN BROKEN AND DESIRES, EVEN LONGS TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP RESTORED AND TO BE IN RIGHT RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR FATHER.

WEBSTER SAYS: SORRY IS NOT AKIN TO SORROW.

HUMILITY IS AN ATTITUDE, FREE FROM PRIDE OR ARROGANCE. HUMILITY SAYS "YOU'RE RIGHT GOD, AND I'M WRONG. YOU'RE HOLY AND I'VE FALLEN SHORT OF YOUR STANDARD. YOU'RE GOD AND I'M YOUR CHILD. I KNOW I'VE SINNED AND I TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT, AND I'M GRIEVED THAT I'VE CAUSED YOU GRIEF...I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS EVER AGAIN. I SURRENDER MY WILL TO YOU, ASK YOUR FORGIVENESS AND RECEIVE YOUR FORGIVENESS. HELP ME TO WALK IN HOLINESS!!!

• 3 years later...

We can achieve a “broken or contrite heart” by recognizing our sins. Then we go to God and ask for forgiveness for those sins. Then we should never return to them. The earmarks of this condition is that we try to stay of the path that Jesus has laid out for us.

A lot of time we don’t change because of our pride. But when we let humility come into our heart we will be able to see our sins and confess them.

• 11 months later...

David asked God to to restore to him a pure heart (51:10). When someone loves somebody, and does something inadvertently, or even intentionally to harm or hurt them it would be understandable that the person would be devastated that he or she had done such a thing. Jesus said "If you love me you will obey my commands (John 14:15). Peter "wept bitterly" when it dawned on him that he had denied his master (Luke 22:62). David appeared to be spiritually blind to what he had just done when he committed adultery with Bathsheba and then tried to cover it up by having her husband Uriah killed in the battle field. When Nathan confronted David with what he had done, David admitted that he had sinned against the Lord (2 Samuel 12:13). Evidence of being sorrowful for sin, involves repentance and action as well as words.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart"? What are the earmarks of this condition? How does this differ from "being sorry" for a sin? How does humility relate to this condition?

When you are truly sorry for your sins is the point of a broken and contrite heart. A heart in agony and repentant . Just being sorry is not the same as true repentance, you must turn and walk the other way. Humility is important for true repentance because that is the only way to allow God to do the work in your heart.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Ask God for it. Ask the Holy Spirit to bring a deep conviction, ask Him to show you how much you have heard Christ. Fear God's judgement......look at possibility of even losing God's Presence, salvation even?????? Depends on your theology!!!!! Realise afresh what you have lost, Be honest with the Lord, tell Him you have become calloused. Share with a Christian brother or sister over your issue. Ask Lord to show any lie of the enemy I am believing.

The earmarks of this conviction is that you loath the sin, ask, how could I????  You want to flee from it when it comes on the horizon. The difference from being sorry is that you are watching for any sign of its reappearance even like a cancer????? 

Humillity is important because you realise you are not above falling, you lose any self confidence. You have to rely on the Lord & others to keep you safe.

On 04/08/2011 at 11:19 PM, JanMary said:

Q4. (Psalm 51:17) How does one achieve a "broken and contrite heart?

I BELIEVE THE HOLY SPIRIT'S CONVICTION MAKES US AWARE OF THE GRAVITY OF OUR SIN, AND WE ARE BROKEN WITH SORROW....NOT BECAUSE WE WERE CAUGHT, BUT BECAUSE WE SINNED AGAINST GOD.

ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT WE HAVE DONE RATHER THAN JUSTIFYING OR MAKING EXCUSES OR BLAMING SATAN OR OTHERS. HUMILITY AND REPENTANCE.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO BE SORRY FOR A SIN AND THEN SKIP ON DOWN THE ROAD WITHOUT A CHANGED HEART. A BROKEN AND CONTRITE HEART IS A CHANGED HEART...ONE THAT WANTS ONLY WHAT GOD WANTS AND LIVES TO PLEASE HIM. SORRY MAY BE JUST AN "APOLOGY" WITHOUT THE DESIRE FOR A CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR. IT'S A HEART THAT KNOWS FELLOWSHIP HAS BEEN BROKEN AND DESIRES, EVEN LONGS TO HAVE FELLOWSHIP RESTORED AND TO BE IN RIGHT RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR FATHER.

WEBSTER SAYS: SORRY IS NOT AKIN TO SORROW.

HUMILITY IS AN ATTITUDE, FREE FROM PRIDE OR ARROGANCE. HUMILITY SAYS "YOU'RE RIGHT GOD, AND I'M WRONG. YOU'RE HOLY AND I'VE FALLEN SHORT OF YOUR STANDARD. YOU'RE GOD AND I'M YOUR CHILD. I KNOW I'VE SINNED AND I TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR IT, AND I'M GRIEVED THAT I'VE CAUSED YOU GRIEF...I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS EVER AGAIN. I SURRENDER MY WILL TO YOU, ASK YOUR FORGIVENESS AND RECEIVE YOUR FORGIVENESS. HELP ME TO WALK IN HOLINESS!!!

Very good reply.