JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christmas Hardships

Extra credit : We are blessed because God is good, not because we are good. MANY believers who follow God's will for their life suffer physical and emotional hardships on Earth. Consider the 1,000 poor and humble pastors with Gospel for Asia that own only one set of clothes and a mat to sleep on and never expect more earthly luxuries. YET, they have pleasure in serving the living God, our LORD Jesus Christ, and the overflowing JOY of the Lord in preaching the good news of the gospel.

Being a consistent Christian means you have peace with the LORD, and the PEACE OF THE LORD!. If Christ's love reigns in my heart there is the fruit of the Spirit in my life! There is love and peace and forgiveness and kindness and gentleness and self-control. If Christ lives in me, consistently, then He empowers me to live in His grace, never having anything "harder" than we can do together. THIS LIFE IS A TRAINING GROUND FOR TRUSTING GOD TO SUPPLY MY NEEDS IN EACH NEW DAY;  walking in His will then has no "hardships", trusting in His love and having FAITH that things are exactly as they should be.   

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary? Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not? Any examples from your life? Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was at a well advanced stage of her pregnancy and had to trek 4 days journey from Nazareth to reach her destination.

Pleasure and absence of challenges may not necessary mean that we are in God's will. Similarly, difficulties and challenges do not necessarily mean that we are not in God's will.

Being a Christian involves getting into some hardship at times and we have been warned by the Lord Himself to be prepared for this as would surely come. It however does not mean that we will not experience challenges and hardship if we just "go with the flow".

• 4 weeks later...

Being pregnant and nearly expecting made the journey to Bethlehem very challenging and difficult. Of course, the journey with all it's difficulties was better than staying alone in Nazereth.

Encountering hardships or comfort are no indications of one following in God's will. God utilizes all situations (good or bad) for His glory, and our good. Hardships in my life, I believe, we're God's way in disciplining, teaching to appreciate our blessings, or instructing on the benefits of depending on God and His goodness. Regardless of our present circumstance, we should praise God for who He is, and what He has done for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary was 9 months pregnant ! No, pleasure or the lack is no indication of God

Being a Christian today is quite difficult for many in society either ignore us or revile us, and as such thete could certainly be backlash from today's society towards us. However l do not feel that the anguish that one hias does not come from God, job discusses this toplc in some detail concluding that God does not cause our pain. Our suffering may have some effect upon our character but in the long run our suffering isnot iimportant. It is Jesus suffering that is the atonement fot our sins, praise be to God.

• 1 year later...

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary? Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not? Any examples from your life? Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because, It was winter, she was very pregnant, and riding on a donkey which I am sure was not comfortable. Add to that the elements that were prevalent during that time of year must have been very hard on anyone, much less a pregnant teenager.

I don't think that pleasure is an indication that we are in God's will, because has not promised me a life of ease and laughter, but He has promised to be there on my journey, and the reward that I will gain at the end of my earthly walk won't be comparable to what I will gain after my transition.

I agree with the statement that,"Being a consistent causes more hardships than going with the flow," because it is easier to go with the flow of the consensus of the folks around you, however it takes a sacrifice of self to stand up and voice your opinion when you believe and feel in your heart that the crowd is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was pregnant and was about to have the baby. I think that the suffering that Mary was putting up with proves that pleasure is not a sign that we are going God’s will.

As an example for my life is going on mission trips. They were usually pretty miserable but I knew that I was doing God’s will.

I don’t think that I can argue one way or the other on whether being a Christian causes more hardships then just going with the flow. I know quite a few people who went with the flow and they have had more hardships then I have. Then there are those who have had quite a great life.

• 3 years later...

Mary was in her final stages of her pregnancy, about to deliver any time. At that time to travel and that too without any modern comforts would have been an arduous task for Mary. There was Biblical prophecy to be fulfilled by having the Messiah’s birthplace to be in Bethlehem, but if Mary would have had her way she wouldn’t have undertaken this journey. She would have had apprehensions regarding her delivery being her first pregnancy. Nazareth was in the north whereas Judea was in the south. But topographically, in terms of elevation Bethlehem was higher than Nazareth. So traveling up in elevation would have been even more difficult. Moreover, there would be fear of bandits on the way of that four day journey. So this journey to Bethlehem would have been extremely difficult for Mary.

Pleasure is not an indication of being in God’s will. Jesus in His time of anguish prays Father if it be possible, let this cup be taken away from Me. But He knew that the will of the Father was for Him to drink that cup. And He went through that suffering, being in the perfect will of the Father. Paul when he traveled to Jerusalem, he knew that this would be a dangerous journey for him. But he was in the will of the Father. In the Old Testament we see Job suffering. But he was in the will of the Father.

I remember in my beginning walk of born again life there were a lot of financial difficulties. Many asked when you follow Jesus shouldn’t trouble cease. Didn’t understand then, but God allowed us to go through those difficulties to build us up in the Lord. It was difficult back then, but God has brought us through it stronger in the process. To God be the glory.

We do not belong in this world. We are only ambassadors here and our citizenship is in heaven. So we cannot go with the flow of the world. In fact we would be flowing contrary to how the world flows. Our walk is directed by the Holy Spirit and hence we go as the Holy Spirit leads us. And when we stand up for what is right in the sight of the Lord there could be hardships along the way.  

• 3 years later...

Q2. Poor Mary nine months pregnant and riding a donkey, uncomfortable at the best of times never mind in Mary’s condition. No wonder she gave birth that night! She was also a young woman who probably could have done with having her mother or a sister with her. She hardly knew Joseph, how awkward that must have been for her. The fear of childbirth, being alone, feeling uncomfortable all over , probably in the first stages of labour and yet she knew God was with her. Pleasure and God’s will do not necessarily go together. We can be in God’s will and yet life be very hard, but we have the joy and assurance of His presence with us to lead guide, and direct us along the way no matter what the situation might be. 
I think there are more hardships when trying to be a consistent Christian because we are going against the flow which can lead to things like mistrust, disagreement, and sometimes lose of friendships, but we have the constant help of the Holy Spirit, and the joy and peace of knowing we are doing what Jesus wants us to do.