JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christmas Hardships

The journey to Bethlehem would have been extremely difficult for Mary because of all the pressure she was under, the people in the town were talking about her, a young girl 9 months pregnant, riding a donkey for 4 days, the cold weather. Where did they sleep at night while on their journey? This obviously tells us that pleasure isn't an indication of being in God's will.

I think we will have different types of hardships being a consistent Christian, but there will be hardships either way. It's always easier to go with the flow. Will we have more hardships? Yes, because it's going to take more effort, we'll have to take stands against things we wouldn't other wise. But when it's over the joy and sense of accomplishment we feel having worked for the Lord will rejuvenate us.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary?

She not only had the physical discomfort of being 9 months pregnant and having to take a long ride on a donkey, but she also faced the emotional discomfort of being pregnant with a baby that was not her husbands, and being away from her family.

Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not?

This could be answered with yes and no. God didn

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult to Mary because at the time she was pregnant with Jesus and riding a donkey over some very rough terrian. But Mary was made of sturn stuff, she put her faith in God and that God will guide and lead them through the rough areas. Through her example, we are also made of sturn stuff. When we are down we pray for and answer to God's attentive voice when He calls.

Extra Credit: Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow. It does causes hardships especially from non-believers. They are always joke about Christians, and they don't know one thing about being a Christian. They joke about us, but I always say I KNOW WHERE I AM GOING, DO YOU!? It really gets them to stop and think. No conversions yet, but I am still praying.

The journey was physically difficult. Long travel, late in pregnancy, still unmarried. It would be hard not to doubt that this was part of God's plan.

Pleasure has nothing directly to do with if we are in God's will or not. Sometimes lack of pleasure is the growth that God feels we need to become who we were meant to be. Sometimes lack of pleasure is due to not following God's will at all.

The closest exaple I can think of in my life is boyfriends and marriage. When I was dating, I dated some unethical and unGodly men. There was lack of pleasure in the drama of the relationship, and in one break-up I had a mental break-down. When I started dating my husband, it was different. It wasn't easy, because I had a close friend telling me he was no good for me, and neither of my parents supported our relationship. But now, I can see how this man is so much more of what God wanted for me. I needed those unhealthy relationships to appreciate and work towards the loving relationship we have now. I also discovered Jesus, though not directly through my husband. He lead me to Him.

I strongly believe that being a true Christian is more difficult than "going with the flow". Firstly, standing up for what you believe is not always easy. Secondly, I believe God puts us through hardships to both test us and help us grow. I believe that "going with the flow" is a very wordly, lazy, unthinking way of living. When you don't control your actions, and you don't believe God is, I believe it is very unlikely you will end up in a healthy loving relationship with Jesus. In this earthly world, it is usually harder for you, but the afterlife your chances are very low to be with Christ.

Well, I think it pretty much goes without saying that the journey was especially dificult for Mary because she was probably quite close to her due date, and I'm sure a long, hard rode on the back of a donkey did not help the situation.

Pleasure is definately not an indication that we are in God's will. In fact, it may at times be an indication that we are not in His will. This is probably one of the areas I struggle with most in descerning God's will for me. I find it difficult to know whether a circumnstance is difficult because the Devil is trying his best to make things hard for me, or if it is God closing the door and gently (or not so gently) telling me that that I was coming up with my own ideas and He wants me to focus my energy elsewhere.

As far as whether or not "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow." The other day, I was listening to a chorus from Handel's Messiah, in which the text is taken directly from Matt 11:28-30

"Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."

I got to thinking about this, and how many times, this seems so contradictory and the burden seems terribly heavy. Then I realized that when the burden is heaven it is not that God has given us more than we can bear, but rather that we are not carrying all that God has asked us to bear. It is only in carrying the whole burden that we are filled with the joy that makes it so light.

So the answer is false, Being a consistent Christian causes less hardship than just going with the flow. We must only make sure we carry the whole burden.

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was in the late stages of her pregnancy.

Riding on a donkey had to have been uncomfortable for her. I'm sure sleeping on the rough ground was difficult to her as well.

Pleasure doesn't always mean we are in God's will. Often it can mean we aren't in His will. On the other hand just because we are going through trials or hardships is no indication that we aren't in His will.

God often brings problems into our life to strengthen our faith and draw us into a closer relationship with Him.

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary? Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not? Any examples from your life? Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary?

Mary faced emotional and physical hardships. As a woman, if I were pregnant Mary, I

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was in the late stages of her pregnancy.

Riding on a donkey had to have been uncomfortable for her. I'm sure sleeping on the rough ground was difficult to her as well.

Pleasure doesn't always mean we are in God's will. Often it can mean we aren't in His will. On the other hand just because we are going through trials or hardships is no indication that we aren't in His will.

God often brings problems into our life to strengthen our faith and draw us into a closer relationship with Him.

Hi, Linda:

I agree with you when you said, "Often it can mean we aren't in His will. On the other hand just because we are going through trials or hardships is no indication that we aren't in His will."

The Holy Spirit was with you as you wrote your eloquent and wise words!! Your comments reverberate in my heart because they contain concepts and thoughts that have ponder over a long time.. I'm striving to order my life to mirror my Savior increasingly. If you have a chance to, order this book: "Revolution in World Missions," by K.P. Yohannan at www.gfa.org (Gospel for Asia). It's free, riveting, and an eye-opener. I enjoyed reading it. I didn't agree with every point; however, the overall message is sound.

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary? Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not? Any examples from your life? Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was in the late stages of her pregnancy and it was a 4 day journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem.

Pleasure is not necessarily an indication that we are in God's will. In fact, a lot of times, the things that we find pleasurable are often worldly and not at all pleasing to God.

[For example, using myself, I USED TO find smoking cigarettes pleasurable when I was a smoker many years ago. However, smoking cigarettes pollutes the body which is the tabernacle of God; therefore it is a pleasure that is NOT in God's will. I thank God to this day for deliverance from that "pleasurable" addiction!]

As to the statement, "being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow", I tend to agree. If we are out of God's will and being "good little devils" then satan has no need to try to make things rough for us because we're already living in his will. However, if we're living the life of a God-fearing Christian, we will experience more hardships because there WILL be more attacks from the enemy(satan); also, in His Word, Jesus said that in this world we WOULD have trials and tribulations, but to be of good courage because He had overcome this world (paraphased).

So yes, we can expect more hardships living as a consistent Christian, but we also have more help to deal with and overcome problems because Jesus promised that He would never leave us nor forsake us.

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because first, by riding a donkey she journeyed four days from Nazareth to Bethlehem, second, at that time she was pregnant, third, she would increasingly have arduous, because the journey might be in winter

I think pleasure is not an indication that we are in God's will or not, because to be increasingly mature in him God sometimes discipline me through the hardships that I had to have; or to proved genuine of our faith he let us have suffer grief in trials.

I agree that

I would think any four day journey would behard on a woman who is nine months pregnant and expecting any day from experience I know what that time was like for my wife with all the modern days improvements for Mary it had to be a real struggle.

Pleasure is never an indication that we are in God's will, pleasure is in the mind and our God deals with our spirit through His Spirit. He does promise to give us pleasure while we follow Himonly to get us through. Yes, I struggle every day with putting away the desire for pleasure that are pulling at my mind trying to pull me away from where I know in my heart a I need to be to be some where that I haveno reason to go.

Being a Christian is to follow Christ and that is an every day struggle, He told the disciples that even their faimly would turn against them why should we be any differant we deal with non believers in our ddaily life like they did and although here in the USA we can't be killed for our faithwe canbe ridiculled and turned agains if we try and win other to Christ. Satan has not been taken out yet and until he is there will be struggles trying tofollow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=720

The methods of travel are not what we have today...most of the way I expect she would have had to walk or at the most be carried on a mule or donkey...not comfy. For the mothers here we know what it is like in the later stages of pregnancy...it is not a comfortable time..and especially not for travelling where bathrooms and soft comfy chairs are not around. Swollen feet and backaches are only some of the minor complaints.

To me if we find that things are to comfy or pleasureable or going just a bit to well we need to look at our lives and make sure we are living as we should. Not that God does not bless us with good times but to often we fall into Satan's trap of getting to use to the nice and being afraid of stepping off into the choppy waters.

Right now is a very good example of what I just said ...my husband was hurt at work ...workman's comp has cut him off...he recieves less that 1/4 of his wages on unemployment but we are living on faith that God is leading us exactly where He wants us to be. Our lives with our children have never been as blessed as they have been in the last year. We as a family are growing closer to the Lord and it is a blessing to see our children really understanding that what we have is not from us but from the Lord.

"Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

Being a mother of nine with 4 remaining at home going with the flow and being a consistent Christian is a daily battle with me. Going with the flow in some ways would be much easier but because of my commitment to Christ it would be against all that He has taught me. Going with the flow to me means living my life from the worlds point of view. Todays values are not what the Lord taught us. The world sees that we should be out for Number one ...ourselves...Christ taught us just the opposite.

Some of this shows up when I have to explain to the kids why certain tv shows may not be proper. I have 2 13 yr olds and a 14 yr old at home. They for the most part can make the decision on what to watch but it is still monitored and I have to make time to talk with them about what they watched and what the message was saying. The world view would allow me to skip that part. Also in the world kids need everything they want...it isn't like that here. We need time as a family and time alone of each of us to be with the Lord and that might mean that lessons or sports might not be on our list. Sunday mornings are not for sleeping in...we need to attend church with fellow believers to help build us up. Wednesday night youth group is important. As an alcoholic going with the flow might mean that that one glass of wine with supper with friends is ok...as a follower of Christ I have choisen to not go with the flow and some may just not understand that. I thank the Lord that he has given me wisdom to know that going with the flow is not what He teaches. I want my life to make a difference.

• 10 months later...

Travel was difficult in those days of walking and riding backs of animals along dusty roads. Also being pregnant made this journey more difficult. :huh:

I do not feel pleasure is necessarily an indication of being in God's will; however, we can be in God's will and have pleasant experiences. ;)

Any examples from your life?

The pleasure I have received from telling others about Christ is priceless. :rolleyes:

Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

Being a consistent Christmas may cause us to give up some of what the world calls pleasure but having peace of mind is more important than anything we give up of the world's pleasures. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The trek from Nazareth to Bethlehem was a four-day journey, they were not a wealthy couple, so, most likely, it was Mary, Joseph and one donkey on which she rode. Being late in her pregnancy, I'm sure she was very uncomfortable to say the least. I don't think that our experiences in our earthly lives are in a direct correspondence, or a measure of, God's will for us. He has a plan for each and everyone of us. Since we are mortal men, we need to develop certain strengths in order to carry out His plan for us. The only way for God to give us what we need to follow His plan is to put us in situations where we need to use those strengths.

I think that on the surface, 'being a consistent Christian causes more hardships ...', but if we look at the longer view, these perceived hardships lead to greater rewards. As Paul said in his letters, while we may endure hardships in this life, the rewards in heaven by far out-shine any of them.

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult because Mary was close to her confinement. Traveling in winter, in late pregnancy was not easy in those times. Plus, Mary had stigma of not being married at the time.

Life is not always easy, but blessings abound, if we can just be thankful and listen for God's will.

I do not think there is any hardship more difficult than being without God. God lifts us up in times of hardship and gives us courage to keep walking. The flow is the world, and worldly ways, which cause death in life and ignorance of God.

I can think of many reasons. It was a long journey, I believe 4 days, and was into the unknown. She was leaving her family, especially her Mother who would probably have been her "midwife", helping with the delivery and comforting her. I can't even imagine riding a donkey in her condition...I could barely walk in the 9th month! Expectant Mothers prepare a layette for the baby...she had no luggage or other provisions. She was probably expected to get off the donkey and prepare meals along the way, when she was most likely aching, extemely uncomfortable, and exhausted...and I would expect she was afraid. And she probably delivered the baby alone...I don't believe men were permitted to be there for the delivery.

I loved that the King of Kings rode in utero on a donkey into His birthplace, just as He rode into Jerusalem. "Behold your king is coming to you, lowly and riding on a donkey".

Not in my experience, much of the time. Sometimes pleasure is present when I'm in His will, but there have been many times where my obedience has brought pain, loss, hardship, humiliation, confusion, sadness, and other discomfort. On the other hand, having our baby was His will and in answer to my prayer, our nearly 9 lb. baby was born in less than an hour with no pain or discomfort....God is amazing!

Any examples from your life?

It was God's will that we leave our families and move to California. We had no place to live when we arrived, no friends. It was a lonely time, and difficult with a baby and only one car. Later when the Lord made several promises to me, it involved losing nearly everything, including friends, church, home, etc. I call several of those years, The Years From hell, because of the trauma and horror we lived through.Yet through it all, the Lord was there encouraging, providing, intervening, guiding, comforting us.

Extra Credit: Argue for or against this proposition: "Being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow."

I can only "argue" from my own experience and being a consistent Christian has definitely caused more hardship than going with the flow....walking with the Lord goes against the grain of society, especially now and in liberal California where Christians are seen as stupid and weak. To take a stand on moral issues, such as Marriage is between one man and one woman as in our recent election, believers are labeled as bigots and anti gay haters, though that is so not the case. To go with the flow means to "fit in", to be a chameleon..to "go along to get along", and there are no feathers ruffled for the "flow" kind of life. It's doubtful anyone would even know you are a Christian if you live this way.

I think it was Josh McDowell who said, "If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?".....If you go with the flow, there definitely would not be enough.

I think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary for several reasons...four days on a donkey...pregnant...dangerous roadways...bandits...winter...'nuff said?

Pleasure and indication of God's will...ya gotta be kiddin' me...(!) Pleasure is not the word that leaps to mind in my experience. Examples from my own life would be too long to summarize, but let me just say, as difficult as those times were...they were the best of times as well, because of the life lessons learned. God will ALWAYS bring you through...and I'd rather be a door keeper in the house of the Lord for one day than to dwell in the tents of wicked...God is good, Oh so good is He.

The most amazing example was moving from California to NY with two children, a husband recuperating from a surgery, with no place to live, no car, no job, no possessions (God said to sell it all -- He'd provide new)...just go. ...and we did. Everyone said we were "out of our minds," "crazy,"...but when God speaks, there is no mistakening His voice. We've lived here since 1993, and God has restored it all.

Going with the flow may be "easier," but being a consistent Christian, I have found, affords you to take ground consistently. Stand firm. Advance. Stand firm. Advance. Stand firm...advancing in the Kingdom of God...before you realize it...you've got a whole lotta land...Amen...!

• 4 weeks later...

Poor Mary was due to deliver any day, riding a donkey wasn't the most comfortable thing being in labor I'm sure!

There is always hardships being a consistent Christian! It happened to Jesus, and all the believers past. Many don't believe the Good News and will argue with you, call you a flake and in some countries, put you in prison or kill you for your faith. If you just go with the flow, no feathers get ruffled and the True message doesn't get told.

• 2 weeks later...

The journey had to be difficult for Mary physically and emotionally. She had the hope of God in her, she knew she was carrying the Messiah. Yes, I think there is pleasure in God's will. I am not talking about pain and suffering, but I am talking about knowing who we are in Christ and knowing who He really is. Trusting Him one hundred percent with everyone and everything in our life. Depending on God totally. Knowing that the joy of the Lord is our strength. Standing on His promises and His word. An example from my life is when I lost my job and out of work for almost a year. EXTRA CREDIT: Yes, being a consistent Christian causes more hardships than just going with the flow. We are not of this world. We are the children of the Most High God. We are to be like Him. In everything we do. That is hard, because of the ways of the world. We think sometimes it is just easier to go with the flow and don't worry about it. We can't do that. We can not compromise who we are or what we stand for. You give the devil an inch, he'll take a mile, then you have given him a foot hold. Christ never had an easy life, neither will we as long as we follow in our Father's foot steps.

• 10 months later...

The first answer to me just has to be "Duh"! The physical, mental, and emotional aspects are all there whether you are in faith or not. We still are in the flesh with all that goes along with it.

Have you read the Bible? Did John the Baptist or Paul or Ezekiel live lives of pleasure? How about Jesus the supreme example of suffering? How about "The Hidden Price of Greatness or The Hidden Smile of God or a host of other books like Foxes Book of Martyrs. Pleasure can be found in difficult circumstances through the Word and prayer and our faith so I don't want to say pleasure is not an indication we are in God's will. It's the world that looks upon suffering as a sign of God's displeasure or that it is the result of sin. As Christians we know that suffering will come in this world. Expect it. ( Things still hit me by surprise though. Where did this come from I ask?)Sometimes I think I am a very slow learner. No when it gets too comfortable then I have wondered if God is displeased with me which is the opposite of what the world expects. Sometimes I think He gives us rest in between trials. I am glad for those times to relax but then I get complacent or something.

I think being a consistent Christian is definitely going to cause more hardships than "going with the flow". The world is heading for destruction and we are not of this world. The world is antichrist we are of Christ. There is a verse that says who makes all his enemies to be at peace with him. We need to act that way.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The times were very different back then. The travel alone, on foot or donkey no protection of the weather and sleeping provisions, probably on the ground, let us not forget about the snakes and scorpions and deadly spiders that they would be open to compared to us today with cars trains planes. It was 90 miles, they say at least a 3 day trip. A pregnant lady traveling 30 miles a day, WOW!I have not even mentioned the problems that might a rise for a lady, a pregnant lady at that. If you are a Christian you can have pleasure, for it is real pleasure, and it comes from God.The pleasure a non Christian has comes from the world and does not last, and they are never satified. Examples in my life is my family and Christ working in them, because I share with God, meaning I take all to Him.He gives His time,allows me pleasures,such as trips games get togethers happenings like that. If being a consistent Christian was easy I would think there would be many more. To follow Christ is not always easy but it is rewarding. I think that when you get on board with Christ the hardships go away, it is when you battle Him that you have hardships. For people to recognize that you truly walk with Christ is rewarding, you are not aiming for that it just happens over time. God picks you up and delivers you thru those hardships. :rolleyes:

The journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary because she was a young teenager, pregnant with child and it was during the winter, Pleasure is no indication that we are in God's will. We can all agree that some sin is fun, fun and enjoyment for the flesh; but totally our of God's will.

Q2 Four days to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem on a donkey's back (since there

were no proper transportation during Jesus' time); on cold winter season for a

pregnant woman whose time was near was definitely an arduous and dangerous

journey.

To some pleasures, yes we are in God's will. For God causes the sun to shine on

both the good as well as the evil and sends rain on the righteous and the

unrighteous. (Matthew 5: 45). And my God shall supply all your needs according to

His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil.4:19.)

God is the potter and we are the clay. If we surrender to Him, he will mould and

fashion us and make everything beautiful in our lives. In the eighties when our

children were small, it was so difficult to manage a family. Every month our

income was exactly enough with no spares left. We had our regular meals with

nothing extra or any chance of eating out or to celebrate any events. The only

consolation was to pray to God and with His providence in one way or another He

would sent us our needs accordingly either monetary or through people. On one

occasion I was longing for a good meal in a hotel to celebrate mother's day and

the Lord read my thought and sent a good friend who surprised us with an

invitation through a phone call. Exactly what I wished for. Praise and thank God

for the blessings we have received from Him for He cares for us.

Being a convert, I do agree that being a consistent Christian causes more

hardships than just going with the flow. Nothing is easy in life, everything

must come with a price. Jesus paid a price to save mankind on the cross. He

endured humiliation, accusation, insult, injuries, being mocked by doing God's

will. Likewise, as followers of Christ, we too will have to endure our

sufferings as Jesus had said in John 15: 18-19: "If the world hates you, you

know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the

world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you

out of the world, therefore the world hates you." The closer we come to God, the

more trials we will encounter. Satan is not happy and he will do anything to

stop and deceive us from our faith. God will strengthen us if we turn to Him

for His grace is sufficient for us, for power is perfected in weakness.

2 Cor.12:9)

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary? Is pleasure an indication that we are in God's will or not?

Why do you think the journey to Bethlehem was difficult for Mary?

She was just about ready to have a baby and riding on a donkey would have been very uncomfortable and dangerous.

If we allow God into our lives, we will have the pleasure of knowing His Son who came to save us. We can enjoy life when God is central in our heart.