JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Blessed Are the Persecuted

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-11) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

From both a spiritual and worldly standpoint, we can rejoice at persecution. You will not be persecuted for Christ unless you are noticed and if you are noticed/observed because of Christian belief, you may find yourself smiling a little. I have. If I get confronted, I must assume it is because I've given evidence to attract such which means I'm on track. The same would be true for anyone else.

As to 'sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain?' - hmmmmmm. Really hadn't thougt about it that way. My reply would have to be that the one (pain) is self satisfaction or fetishism and the other (rejoicing) would be the reaction from spiritual/self awareness through the spirit.

'Theirs is the kingdom of Heaven' - Having a 'mind' and 'heart' liken to Christ as well as His salvation makes you a Kingdom member - inheritor with Christ.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-11) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

I look at suffering as a way to grow in Christ. I don't take masochistic joy in it, I don't like it, and find it hard to rejoice in suffering. Human nature popping it's ugly head says we must always receive all of the goodness of Christ but not partake in the sadness and suffering. But in God's eyes we can not partake in one without experiencing the other. He who partakes in the suffering of Jesus, realizing that there is nothing upon this earth that could possibly compare to His sacrifice or suffering, and realizing it is all done for us. Our gift, given to us out of God's Grace. Those people persecuted with Christ,suffering with Christ at the foot of the cross, may enjoy the reward of being heirs to the kingdom of God.

• 1 month later...

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-12)

Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted?

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because Jesus promised us a reward in heaven.

What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain?

Our belief in the teaching of God keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism or finding pleasure in pain. We believe what Jesus told us and there is no lie in it.

Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

It is appropriate for the persecuted because it proves that, they have done something important that the persecutors do not like or want it. They have been seen and heard and they have done this out of faith and courage.

• 1 year later...

To be persecuted for Jesus is an honor.  To be ridiculed because you are a Christian is an honor.  The greatest man who ever lived and lives in us still was persecuted.  We will anticipate our reward in Heaven with the Father.  The prophets were persecuted and they await under the altar in Heaven to be freed and to see the evil one done away with forever as their reward.  God himself has heard and seen...We will not suffer as the early Christians did, but we also suffer for our faith in other ways.  The reward if we walk with Jesus is Heaven.  That in itself is reason enough to proclaim the He is Lord!

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed the commentary that was written with this Beattitude.  We rejoice when we are persecuted for reflecting Christ around us.  Not becuase there is pleasure in pain and suffering, but becuase we are being noticed for reflecting Christ.  Others see Jesus in us!  They will either be drawn to the light, or be repulsed by it!  Christ moves us into another league of fellowship with Him because He suffered for doing God's will as well.  He suffered so much more than even the Old Testament prophets! Persecution for Christ's sake (not for doing evil) is actually a validation that we have put Christ and His Kingdom above all other allegiances and loyalties.  The reward?  We inherit the Kingdom of God and His favor! Another good deal in my opinion!  ;)

I am going to add more to my above post on this topic:  I have heard so many Chritians say fearfully that the church in America will be suffering greater and greater persecution in the days ahead.  Well, I am not thrilled about that prospect, but studying this Beattitude really set me free from that fear!  According to this Beattitude, we are BLESSED if we are persecuted for Christ's sake.  It is considered an honor.  The "fellowship of His sufferings" (as the Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 3:10) is a special walk with the Lord.  It is better than a life of typical prosperity and comfort in the natural realm. We get to know Christ better and experience His presence even more.  A slice of heaven in the natural. Wow. 

• 1 month later...

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because it is for Christ.  He promises us a great reward in heaven for going through and holding out.

What keeps this from being so,me kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain is that Jesus said the world persecuted the prophets and himself as well.

The blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven" appropriate for the persecuted because they endured hardness as a good soldier, their reward.  

• 2 months later...

Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? As our text states “because persecution means that we have been seen, that we have been heard. That our actions have been taken note of by the powers that be and have made their mark. We have done something right enough, for a change, to deserve persecution.”  We can rejoice in the fact that through God’s mercy and grace we are privileged to be counted among the chosen ones of God.

What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? Jesus is talking about a suffering that is peculiar to genuine believers; the suffering that is endured because of righteousness. It is a suffering that only those who live godly lives experience, those who have righteousness in their hearts and lives.  Righteousness always involves a relationship with Jesus. True righteousness is not done for its own sake. It is done for Jesus' sake, to honor and glorify Jesus name and Being.

Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted? I believe that if a person is being persecuted for their faith and belief in Jesus Christ and His promises which are contrary to the carnal authority doing the persecuting, that it would be appropriate to receive the opposite of what the persecutors receive (hell) which would be heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

When we are persecuted for righteousness, we are being recognized for the goodness that we are trying to spread. If men noticed this act, we can surely guarentee that God has noticed. We are not celebrating a sick masochism or anything like that. We are celebrating the fact that we are moving that much closer to God by our thoughts and actions. We have stood up to a challenge and have succeeded. I feel that once people reach this level of holiness, they are walking with Jesus and God everyday of their lives. They are already in that peaceful place.

• 1 month later...

The reason that we should rejoice when we are persecuted is that we know that other people see Jesus in us. The reason that this isn’t some kind of sick masochism is because we truly do love Jesus and there is nothing that can take that away from us. The blessing “for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” is appropriate for the persecuted because they are willing to give it all for Jesus like Jesus gave it all for us.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are persecuted for Jesus sake we should rejoice and be glad in it for we have done the work of the Lord.

The blood of Jesus, we are blessed.

For someday we will see our reward.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-11) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? I don't know why there is rejoice in persecution. It's true that when you are attacked, it means you symbolize some threat to your enemies. But even that is not a reason enough to rejoice over it. 

What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? What you want is to be heard and listened to. If you're being persecuted, it's a form of slander in which the tide of good opinion could easily sway in the opposite direction. 

Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?  It means that you are being rewarded for having taken the strikes for what you believe in. It would be due reward for the tribulations endured.

On 3/3/2012 at 2:30 PM, Highohfaith said:

I look at suffering as a way to grow in Christ. I don't take masochistic joy in it, I don't like it, and find it hard to rejoice in suffering. Human nature popping it's ugly head says we must always receive all of the goodness of Christ but not partake in the sadness and suffering. But in God's eyes we can not partake in one without experiencing the other. He who partakes in the suffering of Jesus, realizing that there is nothing upon this earth that could possibly compare to His sacrifice or suffering, and realizing it is all done for us. Our gift, given to us out of God's Grace. Those people persecuted with Christ,suffering with Christ at the foot of the cross, may enjoy the reward of being heirs to the kingdom of God.

I, too, find it difficult to rejoice in pain and suffering but I wonder if the question is referring to the act of being persecuted, rather than rejoicing in, or "finding pleasure in the pain." Merrian Webster defines persecuted as a verb, "to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict specificallyto cause to suffer because of belief."  So we are right to feel uncomfortable with rejoicing in the act of being "punished and injured," but perhaps the question is actually asking us, Is there a reward of being persecuted? 

• 3 months later...

Generally when one experiences persecution it is because one is doing or believing something right and whoever is administering the persecution is not wanting to acknowledge it. This is of course if you take the definition of persecution to be, being treated cruelly and unfairly because your beliefs are not being approved of.

It is not necessarily finding pleasure in the pain but rather an enduring of the pain than a letting go of your beliefs.

The blessing is appropriate because one is already experiencing "hell" here on earth and the "hell/persecution" is being experienced because one is clinging to believing in Christ.

• 3 years later...

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-12) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted?

ANSWER: According to Matthew 5:10-12, instead of despairing, we should rejoice for the great rewards we will receive in heaven. Jesus refers to those who profess to be and live consistently as a Christian. They proclaim Christ (peacemaker) and live under Christ's command (righteousness) and are thus persecuted by a world that hates Christ. We must not confuse righteousness with morality!

In 1 Peter 4 there are 5 reasons that we can and should rejoice even now when we are persecuted, or even in that day when we face much greater persecution.

1. In times of trial, you can rejoice because God is testing you.
  2. The second reason you can rejoice in suffering is because you are sharing Christ’s sufferings.
  3. Third, rejoice because God is with you. He is near to you in your persecution.
  4. Fourth, rejoice because God is being glorified.
  5. Finally, Christians can rejoice in persecution because justice is near.

What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain?

ANSWER: When affliction comes, honest lament is a good thing. We were meant to express our pain, sometimes in extreme fashion. But our lament does not lead to despair; it leads to trust. Even when we rage, we choose to rage at God. In so doing, we demonstrate trust. We may not know what God is doing, but we trust him enough with our raw emotions. And we believe, often against our own feelings, that God is up to something good through the “affliction that produces endurance.” Our lament does not lead to despair, it leads to trust.

Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

ANSWER: He is promising that those who are "poor in spirit" will experience the benefits of God's kingdom, both in this life and in the afterlife. Blessed in this context indicates heavenly, spiritual exaltation rather than earthly happiness or prosperity. In other words, they will experience the richness of a deep relationship with God and the ultimate reward of eternal life.