JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Blessed Are the Persecuted

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-11) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

We are to rejoice because for to those whos suffer most, God imparts the highest blessing. The pain that we suffer through persecution will bring us out a stronger person than we were in Christ. He will have taken the pain and you will have victory. All that live Godly for Christ will suffer persecution. Those who suffer and endure persecution for righteousness' sake are promised the kingdom and the heavenly rewards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (Matthew 5:10-11) Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain? Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

The world will always persecute believers of Christ. The world is fallen and full of sin. It is not acceptable to be a believer of Christ in our world. And it will not be until the day of His return. Therefore, we shall be prosecuted for our beliefs and moral high standings, (that Christians should have and hold dear.)

Unfortunately, many Christians do have a woe is me, I am always being persecuted or put through fire attitude. Not really finding pleasure in pain, but in attention. The way believers should feel about persecution is finding the "light at the end of the tunnel" and having a mentality that Christ's glory is found in the attitude you have while being persecuted. You reflect Christ in this time.

Knowing that your endurance of persecution will ultimately lead you to the kingdom of Heaven and Communion with Christ is the greatest reward..

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because we have shown the world that "greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world." We are not alone in our persecution and we keep our eyes fixed on the goal, our blessings for the kingdom of heaven.

We don't have a perverse pleasure in being persecuted because we are in the same league as the prophets and Jesus and our persecution is not for self but to be a witness for God.

Theirs is the kingdom of heaven means that we have overcome and have the rulership of Jesus in our lives

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because the closer we get to God, the harder Satan tries to bring us to Him. And if he is waging a war of persecution he knows it will be very difficult for us to be taken from God.

The blessing is appropriate because we are God's children and he brings us home.

Q6: Matthew 5:10-12 10 Blessed are tehy that are persecuted for righteousness sake: for their's is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedign glad: for great is your reward in hearven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

a. Why should be rejoice when we are persecuted?

We know our end reward will be the kingdom of heaven - so whatever our persecutors do to us - we know what is coming forus.

b. What keeps this from being some sick king of mascochism, or finding pleasure in pain?

How can we really suffer when this happens? Whether its emotional or physical, we know God is on our side. They are doing this to us because they love Satan and hate Christ - but ours is the greatest reward.

c. Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted?

As Christ was persecuted and gained the kingdom, so do we gain it as His brothers and sisters.

Jesus tells us to look at what they are saying and laugh. Not at our tormentors, but in the glory of God that we anticipate. We are to laugh the laugh of faith. Jesus tells us to rejoice because : "For in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." And in our pain we begin to understand. Jesus says we are blessed when we are persecuted in that we receive a prophet's reward. No, we have not been elevated here by our own blind and selfish zeal. But by God's grace we are enabled to enjoy a wonderful privilege, to be counted among the choice ones of God. Jesus says the persecuted will inherit the kingdom of heaven because though they are discriminated against and attacked by men, yet God will bless them for remaining true to the righteous living that they stand for. They refuse to back down in the face of threats because they are sold out to God and God will honor them for it. They may have earned the hatred and malice of men, but they have earned the favor of God himself for their courage and he will reward them with possession of the kingdom of heaven.

Significa que estamos no caminho certo e porque somos capazes de ver al

Rejoice under persecution because that is a real testament that someone feels threatened by your statement of faith! Someone is under conviction, and they want to get even with you, 'cause you said something that convicted them! Gloray!

As for receiving the Kingdom-I want to be there, that is for sure! But wait-it's within me! I already have it! :D Oh what joy! How can anyone not want The Kingdom?! Would I die for my belief? Could I endure pain and humiliation for my testimony? Can I honestly say that I am ready to die? Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Persecution means we are making people uncomfortable. Many people want to be left alone in their little world of whatever they worship - don't distrub them with the truth about God and the afterlife. They can't be bothered - or else they are afraid to face the truth. They seem to think that ignoring it will make it go away - WRONG! The better job we do of standing for God and furthering His kingdom, the more Satan will be after us and try to find ways to bring us down and compromise our witness. Looking at life with an eternal perspective gives the world view a temporary and inconsequential moment in our lives. We are only here for a short time - relative to eternity. The persecuted are standing for God above all else and they will be His forever.

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because great is our reward in heaven

That keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism, or finding pleasure in pain is we rejoice in our suffering that result from we have done the righteousness of God, the acts related to our faith in God.

The blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" is appropriate for the persecuted because what they have received, that is, suffering and pain as result of what has done, or because of what they stand is worth it and the reward for standing for righteousness is an eternal one.

We should rejoice when we are persecuted because we are in good company. The prophets, Jesus and the apostles were persecuted. History is filled with martyrs who suffered for the cause of Christ. It is because of their suffering that we have the gospel today. Jesus' reward is His place on the right hand of the Father. For us, great is our reward in Heaven. So let us endure the suffering, the persecution, the hardship for His name sake.

• 6 months later...

We should rejoice because we are being persecuted just like Jesus was. We are in Him and He is in us. This type of persecution teaches us to get closer to God, to depend on Him totally, we learn the suffering that our Christ went through. We become a better Christian and our faith will be stronger by the trials and persecution that we go through. It is appropriate because if we follow Christ, regardless of what we face, we trust Him completely, be obedient, the kingdom is ours.That is God's promise.

• 5 months later...

One good reason would be that Jesus told us to. Also, I believe if we are being attacked by the power of the evil one, we must be on the right track in our faith walk. If we weren't getting closer to Jesus and the way He calls us to live, Satan would be happy about it and leave us to our own devices.

We don't really find pleasure in the pain, we find pleasure in bringing pleasure to the Lord by striving to be in His will. If we are walking with Him, in his will, one of the ways we can know this is by the attacks that come from Satan and his servants.

Jesus tells us both that we get to heaven by following Him, and that we will be persecuted in His name. I find it an incredible blessing as well to think of my unworthy self as being put in the same class as Jesus and the great saints of history.

• 4 weeks later...

We should rejoice because we will have the favor of God rather than people. The reward for righteousness is an eternal one rather than a temporary earthly one.

Be glad or rejoice in suffering is possible because we look at the glory of God in the future. We are looking for something beyond this earth. I think what would keep it from becoming some sick masochism or finding pain is that if we are being persecuted for righteousness, that very righteousness would be what sustains us in suffering. Those seeking such for human glory would not be able to sustain the suffering. But one YNN.

It is appropriate for persecuted believers to receive the blessing of the kingdom of heaven because it puts them in the same sphere as the prophets that came before us.

• 1 month later...

A. When we are being persecuted, we should rejoice because the Kingdom of God is advancing right before our eyes. Light has come into the world through your witness and the darkness doesn't like it. Jesus said "if they persecute me, they will persecute you too." Persecution is a sign that you are on God's side and are faithful to the Truth and the task of spreading His gospel. Hallelujah!

What I've been noticing in the states is that many people who are filled with material wealth are trying to save their lives. They say Jesus I love you, but with their lips they are far from Him. There is more to lose for someone in the states because of our great wealth, than some of the 3rd world countries who have little or nothing. They see the injustic around them and then they hear the gospel, they know that they are enslaved and it doesn't have to be that way. Our hearts have become hardened by our sins and the the material wealth of our nation. The darkness is trying to overcome the light by changing the rules one step at a time. No prayer in schools, you can't say the word Jesus in the work place, they want to get rid of the constitution, soon they will arrest you for witnessing your faith, etc. It starting my brothers and sisters. The stage is being set.

C. Getting beat up, killed thrown into prison isn't something we christians love, but if it's to save a soul and it's the only way to show that person God's love, then it's worth dying for. Unfortunately the world loves violence, the darkness thrives in violence. The violence of the heart is so great that people can't see the truth of God. When someone is getting persecuted for doing right, doing beautiful things, your mind has to wonder, what is wrong with this picture, has the darkness gone too far? When you do wrong, then you get punished for doing wrong, that's the normal sense. But for doing right, living right, speaking the truth, being the love of God, you get beat up, thrown into prison, and nailed to a cross? Something is amiss here. As you get beat up, for doing right and speaking truth, some of the world will see love and they will also see, the evil has gone to far. If you don't speak the truth, the children won't know it and will beome accustomed to the dark ways, it will be normal to them. If we stay silent, the future generations will think God's love is a dream or an unrealistic ideal. Many people are starting to think this way.

D. The persecuted are bless because of their obedience to God, saving souls from perishing. Theirs is the Kingdom of heaven all ready and then the life to come. Those who love God by doing His will and care for others, are heirs to God's throne in heaven. When they die there will be a special place for them. Jesus said that there are many mansions in heaven, but he will go to prepare a place for them that do God's will.

God's peace and blessings be with you. Love, Lory

• 3 months later...

If we are persecuted, we know that Satan has noticed us and that he thinks that we are a treat to him.

We better not like the pain itself, for it is not meant to be nice!

No, we just find comfort in the fact that if we hold on, being with Him will be our reward.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When we are persecued it means that we are not living the way of the world. This is a sign that we are on the right track. It is hard but it does us spiritual good in the long run. We are not hurting just because God wants us to suffer, we are hurting for our own good. Maybe like the swat on the behing that you got when you were a little child..it hurt but it also molded you into a better person. We must hurt a bit before we can truly understand the hurting of others. We don't always see how the pain will help us, but God knows. The promise of heaven is to help us remember that our lives are very brief and if we turn to God, we will live in heaven forever.

We should rejoice (although I will admit it can be tough while you are going through it) when we are persecuted as that means we are doing things God's way instead of the wrong way.

What keeps this from being masochistic, is that you are rejoicing in the result, not the pain or persecution.

The blessing is appropriate because that is how God will reward us for standing strong for him.

• 1 month later...

It really depends on the context. If we have been foolish where we could have slowly brought people to Christ by the Holy Spirit's slow work in us, then it is a shame that we'd be so limited in our ability to evangelize without words {St Francis of Assissi?}.

Nonetheless it is an honor ot be persecuted because we are like those of the 1st century church or those in China today. Are we not persecuted by TV and all the worldly things that are blasted into our brains by TV commercials? Is watching TV a choice to be persecuted or is it an error regarding listening to the world? Perhaps more the latter.

As for pain, there should be none if Jesus is near us, unless it is physical torture persecution. We should be rightly happy to be persecuted, it is a blessing that give us favor with God if done in full submission and humility to others.

Already i have been told not to be religious here at work, it is against the company policy. But even since then, I find people being very cheerful with me. St Francis Assissi said something like this "Evangelize everyone, and as a last resort, use words..." But this is not persecution. Is it persecution to not be able to turn on the TV and be blasted with the messages of the world, ever attempting to penetrate our minds and convince us to buy things we don't really need to be happy?

Anything that is pleasing God towards the goals of his kingdom is pleasure for his children who experience it. One could almost say that there is no real pain, that it is pleasure to experience such 'persecution' but we know God will not put us in such a situation unless/until he knows we can handle it. And he knows us better than we know ourselves.

If one is really 'evolved spiritually' then that person can joyfully give to martyrdom know the door to heaven is also opening. And for those of us who are no where near that state, who know how our creator will use us to glorify his kingdom, and bring us home? Still to suffer pain is not what we would normally see as joy and bliss.

• 2 weeks later...

Where the persecution comes as a result of our righteousness, because we are standing up for our faith and not denying it, then we should rejoice because we are sharing in Christ's sufferings and, like Christ, we will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. Of course, there is an element of "pie in the sky" in this, but it is so much more than that. First; pie in the sky suggests some kind of vague hope of something which might happen but ultimately is unlikely ... I might win the lottery! However, we know that it is not a vague hope it is a certainty because that is what Jesus has promised. Second; even leaving aside any thought of our inheritance in the Kingdom of Heaven in the future, in the here and now, by being a part of Christ's sufferings in the here and now we are (in the here and now) in Christ. That in itself would be sufficient to make me rejoice.

• 2 weeks later...

Why should we rejoice when we are persecuted? We should do this because we will be sharing in what Jesus went through while living here on Earth with us.

What keeps this from being some kind of sick masochism or finding pleasure in pain? This won't be related to masochism because our goals will be different. We don't want to suffer, but if we must suffer to do what God needs us to do, then He will give us strength to endure it.

Why is the blessing "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" appropriate for the persecuted? Jesus suffered and died for us, and He is seated at the right hand of God. All those who suffer for Christ's sake will not be treated any less.

• 9 months later...

We should rejoice when persecuted:

1. because we are having an impact on the unbelieving world.

2. because Jesus was persecuted and said we should expect the same as his followers; It is a privilege to share in Jesus' suffering.

3. because such treatment can help us grow in our faith.

4. because it leads us to trust Christ for strength

5. We are resisting conformity to the world and its values.

What keeps this from being sick masochism?

1. It is not finding pleasure in pain itself; it is finding pleasure in doing what is right and pleasing God.

2. The overarching goal is the glory of God.

Why is this blessing (Theirs is the kingdom of heaven) appropriate for the persecuted?

1. The believer is not interested in the things of this world because he is a citizen of heaven. Phil 3:20

2. We believers are to set our minds on things above Col. 3:1; it should be the object of our thoughts. Col. 3:2

3. Heaven is where our inheritance is

4. Heaven is where Christ is, and he is our hope.