JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Matthew 5:13)

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy?

We read in the Beatitudes that we are to be poor in sprit, and merciful, and meek, and hungering and thirsting after righteousness in order that we may be

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

Matthew 5:13 states: "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men." (5:13)

There are two ways then to look at how people used salt: as a preservative and as seasoning. These two manners provide us with two models to interpret this verses.

Preservation Analogy

In the preservative model, salt is used to preserve food to make it last longer. In this sense, Christians are preserving the world.

Seasoning Analogy

In the seasoning analogy, salt is used similar to how many in the U.S. use it, as seasoning. In this sense, the food is better and more flavorful.

Summary

From the lesson, the later analogy seems to be what Jesus was speaking of. Jesus wants us to live our life with zest. Otherwise, if we lose our saltiness, then we really our worthless. As noted in the lesson, these verses come directly after, rejoice and be glad when you are persecuted for his sake. Jesus wants his followers to live for him in word and deed, without fear or shame.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

Christians are the salt of the earth because we live a daily walk with Christ--we strive daily to maintain our passion, love, faith, honesty and purity. (flavor). We stand out from the world and at the same time make it a better place.

We are the preservation of the earth also because our prayers to God help to change lives for Christ, our walk with Christ and our love for Christ extended to the world brings healing and change.

• 1 month later...

A. Jesus's commandment was for his diciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every Nation. Christians are the light of the world, continuing the work of Jesus. Salt preserves food, God's word preserves our souls. The word of God is food for the soul. The disciples of Christ have preserved God's word since the great commission. Because of those who were willing, most of the generations from the past have heard of God's Word, through Jesus's disciples. By martyrs who have died for Jesus, by priests those who've dedicated their lives to God's people, by missionaries those who were willing to go into unknown territories, and all the disciples who speak and share their testimonies to all they meet where ever they go. God's word has been preserved up till now because of Christians faithfulness and by the power of the Holy Spirit.

B. As we are the Light to those in darkness, the seasoning of this salt will offer up as light to those in distress, to those in need, to all those who need to hear and see the message of Christ. The darkness is a world full of dryness, the darkness is similar to the wildnerness experience. Your soul can become dry and very thirsty. We as Christians can offer up God's salt and give hope, one little sprinkle at a time.

God's blessings and peace be with you. Love, Lory

• 9 months later...

I had never thought of us as being salt to preserve the earth as Pastor Ralph said in his message. Although I can see it using the references that he used. I would say that we are the salt in a preservative sense to preserve the earth FOR God rather than FROM his wrath. Preserving it by being here and spreading his word, so that when he returns to earth he will be glorified by more believers.

Using the seasoning analogy I would say that we are here to again apread the word of the Lord, to introduce it to someone with our personality/personal flavor/personal salt rather than someone just reading it by themselves and perhaps not understanding it and therefore not taking an interest in it. We are here to involve people in the word and works of God so that they may also add their salt and light to the world.

• 1 month later...

Salt that is good was so important to life back in the time Jesus lived. If it turned bad it was useless.Christians must use the talents God give us and be that Salt for His kingdom. Otherwise we should be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

We hope we are always growing in Christ and we can ask Him to grow us more to make our salt more seasoned, to make us more focused and useful in his kingdom.

Praise God for His ongoing work in us. We need Him, more than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? In 2 ways. First of all in a spiritual sense by holding back the wrath of God from a corrupt world. As with Abraham and his arguments with God about the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah so God spares the corrupt world for the sake of His saints. Second; in a physical sense Christians are preservers of the world and working for the saving of the world from physical corruption. So I think that Christians have a duty to be at the forefront of the fight to retain the beauty of God's creation here on earth. This can be seen in the examples which Pastor Ralph gave as well as in Christians who were at the forefront of the campaign for nuclear disarmament and now at the forefront of the debate on global warming. We have a duty to preserve God's creation in every form and as such are a preserving element like salt.

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy? Whoever you serve with a good curry will always be able to taste the spice of the curry. Some people might not like curry, but everyone will be able to taste it. So it is with Christians. Everyone should be able to taste the spice of our faith in everything we do and are. Some people might not like it, but it should always be there. If it loses its flavour then it is time to top up our jar of spice.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever we are faced with difficult situations, we are to call upon God, and He will hear our cries. Only through Him are we sustained. God cares for His own, and He is the preservation.

Christians are the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy by displaying a Christlike behavior in all that we say and do in all situations. In order to maintain this seasoning, we must be in a healthy relationship with God since we will draw our strength and wisdom from Him.

• 9 months later...

God's saints can be a preservative in society like salt has been used to preserve meat in earlier days. Abraham interceded for Lot and the people of Sodom. Because of the preaching of Jonah the people of Ninevah repented and were preserved from judgment. It could be suggested that the influence of Christianity directly and indirectly through prayer has kept society from becoming more wicked and promoted righteousness.

The saints can also act as seasoning in society. I like salt. It adds flavor to food: meat, chips, veggies, and more. It makes things better. An example is Wilberforce's work to end the slave trade in Europe. We could also mention that Christianity is responsible for hospitals, schools, orphanages, and humanitarian aid, and more. Much good has been done in our world by believers based on their Christian values and compassion for the poor and needy.

• 2 months later...

As a preservation method, salt protects. Christians first and foremost are the 'protective layer' which can and will hold back God's wrath in a world of flesh. Additionally, Christians bring about change via spreading the gospel and offering a way out of misery, hoplessness and purposelessness including the salvation of nations. England was pulled out of complete debauchery and alcoholism due to the efforts of Wesley and other evangelicals. Slavery was eventually abolished in England first then the US, Christians leading the way.

Salt as a 'spice' adds 'flavor' and taste. We are to be 'tangy and flavorful. Not lukewarm and insipid. We should naturally stand out due to our words and deeds as a walking example of Christlike living. 'Seasoning' (salt) in a Christian walk is often repeated throughout the New Testament.

• 7 months later...

Faithful Christians preserve the world and hold back the wrath of God. By seeking righteousness, and living in a Godly manner they're examples for God's children, their brothers and sisters .They can have a great impact on the world. By exemplifying their righteousness through Christ they preserve God's promise from generation to generation. Only those who preserve the Word can have a true impact as disciples of Christ,.

If the Word stagnates within us, it is no good to anyone else.

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

By living life with a healthy dose of daily seasoning from the word of God. Not blandly settling(accepting) the flavor of earthly values, but seeking to bring zest , season with salt ( God's Word). The Word to non-believers may seem more digestible when 'seasoned' with ZEST for Christ! By living a Christian life with added flavor( a personal relationship with Christ) received only through the Holy Spirit, we can make the world a more 'digestible' place.

Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled. And in turn they will bless others with their fullness and zest for God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 5:13)

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy?

Using the preservation analogy, Christians are the "salt of the earth" in the sense that,

their presence help to preserve the world against the wrath of God through their prayers and deeds.

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

Using the seasoning analogue, Christians are the "salt of the earth" in the sense that, in living their faith, they should be able to attract others in their conversations and witnessing by being tangy.

• 1 year later...

Christians are the "salt of the earth" by our prayers, actions and deeds.  Christians pray for the sins of all including ourselves.  We prostrate ourselves and ask for mercy because He loved us, we in turn love others and want the best for them.  I believe that life with Christ is the only way to live.  We must bring all we can to Him.  This is also why we have yet another day.  Another day to bring someone else to believe.  Another day to bring someone 'home' with us.  God listens and when we pray for others He hears.  We also serve as a standard for others.  They see our works and our actions and the results.  We continue to pray and witness and results are shown to the unbelievers if only by our perserverence.  We do not give up.  Our faith is in the Father who sustains us.

Using the seasoning analogy reminds me of my husband.  He was diagnosed with cancer 6 weeks ago.  Instead of moaning and groaning we took it as God has a reason.   He was unable to preach so I took over his pulpit with permission of our DS using my CLM.  With God's help my messages were on faith, trust and a time of all things.  God has a reason for everything.  The "flavor" of my messages was trust in God.  He knows best and will deliver.  He knows what my husband needs, he knows what I need and he helped our congregation in growing  in their faith.  By our actions and works God touched our lives and our church.

• 1 year later...

Using the preservation analogy, Christians are the salt of the earth by being the conscience and force of good within a society. We can bring change and healing.  Our prayers can bring God's mercy.  From a seasoning analogy, Christians are the world's salt by living their lives according to kingdom principles and not blending in with worldly things.

• 5 weeks later...

Using the preservation analogy, Christians are the salt of the earth when they stand up for what is right to bring about a change. Because of their prayers and presence, God sometimes holds back his wrath.

Using the seasoning analogy, Christians are the salt of the earth by the way they live and conduct themselves in their affairs among the world.  Christians are to represent God and his ways for the world to realize there is a difference in serving Him.  

• 3 months later...

The preservative analogy of salt causes me to believe that we are called to save the meaning of both the Old Testament and especially New Testament teachings of God and Jesus. We are to cherish the meanings of the sacraments. We are to reinforce what the religious meanings of the teachings are all about.

The seasoning analogy sparks a outgoingness in my soul. I want to let loose and let people see the best of Christ within me. I want to be loud and spicy and to cause a commotion. I want them to take notice of me and my life.

• 5 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 9:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? We preserve the world by holding back God's wrath. Despite the overwhelming presence of sin and wickedness in the world, it is the presence of saints and their prayers that allow God to give humanity another chance. God is reasonable as we saw with Abraham when He agreed to preserve Sodom if good people could be found.

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy? I believe this means that our belief in salvation adds to the salvation of the earth. Our faith and devotion add something of a seasoning in our belief of Christ as our Savior, that is to speak with conviction and be a witness in the belief of God's Kingdom. 

• 3 months later...

If we use the preservation analogy we can say that as Christians we preserve society (the world) and hold back God's wrath against it. Examples we find for example Moses pleading for the Israelites, Abraham pleading for Sodom and Gomorrah, which would have been spared if 10 righteous people would have been found there etc.

To be good seasoning means that our lives are to be exemplary, our conversation is to be wholesome, even if 'tangy' (certainly not insipid / compromising / luke-warm). Our lives are to affect others around us in such a way that they too seek God and become Christians.