JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

A.) Using the preservative analogy, Christians by their presence and through their their prayers hold back the wrath of God on a sinful society. Our righteous living bring about a change in living for those who see and want what we have. The Christian's holy lifestyle brings about spiritual healing and in many instances may lead to physical healings as well.

B.) Using the seasoning analogy, Christian's give that special spice to life that makes it all worth living. Without the pick-up flavor that comes from knowing Christ and that gives us the boost that is needed to endure the trials and sorrows that come with this life we would give up. Christians as salt bring back the sweet taste to a life that has gone sour.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preservative analogy => Christians by their very presence help preserve the world and hold back the wrath of God against it.

Seasoning analogy => being a witness and our conversation - willingness to live our lives with the 'tang' of our faith in tact - to be 'tangy' rather than bland and insipid in the way we live and speak - to stand out from the world.

As a perservative, true Christians are living a lifestyle that is effecting those around them and saving them from eternal death. In my case, God brought a woman into my life at a time I needed a Christian example and advice most. My father was very important part of my life and he was dieing of cancer. Because of this woman's friendship and example I ask Jesus to forgive me of my sins and come into my heart. I was baptized and 15 years later I try to live a life that will do the same for someone else.

Christians are the salt of the earth in that what they add to life reflects God. Just as a negative influence can have an impact on others, so too can a Christian influence have a positive. Christians are to be a guiding light to the lost, it's in the flavoring that we add to life that we do so.

Q 1

Salt is used to preserve and keep.

You are the salt of the earth! You are the light of the world! (Matthew 5:13-14).

You must keep alive the memory of the words of life which He spoke, the marvellous works of mercy and goodness which He performed. You must constantly remind the world of the "power of the Gospel to save" (Romans 1:16).So let us preserve and strengthen our fait in Jesus.

Pax

Karl

[i]Q 1

Salt is used to preserve and keep.

You are the salt of the earth! You are the light of the world! (Matthew 5:13-14).

You must keep alive the memory of the words of life which He spoke, the marvellous works of mercy and goodness which He performed. You must constantly remind the world of the "power of the Gospel to save" (Romans 1:16).So let us preserve and strengthen our fait in Jesus.

Pax

Karl[/i]

As preservation, our presence here , with the Holy Spirit living within us prevents a lot of evil from taking place because we are somewhat able to influence the world.

As seasoning, we live in such a way that people see our difference and are attracted to Christ because of it.

Q1. (Matthew 5:13) In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy? In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=735

The Christian values and principles that Jesus taught his disciples, when lived by and applied, exert a great influence on society. When Christians participate knowledgeably in community decision making, they (we) can exert an influence for good, even though others in the community would not necessarily have taken that path. As was stated above, many of the important reforms have been the result of the initiatives of Christian leaders. Martin Luther King is an example of a more recent influence of Christian values on the American society. And it cost him his life. It is up to Christians to unite and peaceably introduce truth and justice, and be persistent, even though most often it means costly sacrifice. That to me is being

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy?

We preserve it by praying for the world so that they can be saved so that God's wrath doesn't come down on them.

In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

We are the salt of the world by keeping our faith in him strong and showing the love of Christ in us. And being a witness to draw others to Christ.

In a preservative analogy, Christians are the salt of the earth, in the sense that those with whom they share the gospel who accepted Christ are preserved from the coming judgment of God and destruction of the world.

In a seasoning analogy, Christians are the salt of the earth in the sense that they are used by God to give hope to mankind by sharing the gospel. In that way, people who accept Christ finds the meaning of life, their existence and purpose in this troubled world according to the will of God.

Christians are the "salt of the earth" in a sense that by our very presense we help preserve the world, holding back the wrath of God against it.

Christians are also the "salt of the earth" in a sense that we are used by God to share the gospel with unbelievers. We need for our conversations to be full of grace and flavorful that we may give an answer to those who are seeking the truth.

Q 1a In what sense are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the preservation analogy?

If we are the salt of the earth, then we are to be use to preserve the word of God.

Preserve the the church so it will continue on forever.

1b In what sence are Christians the "salt of the earth" using the seasoning analogy?

If we are to be salt as a seasoning, then our speech an our action should be spiced with the love of God.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a big part of our role as salt of the earth (preservation analogy) is keeping good in the world. Everything good is found in God, and those who believers are his chosen vessels to give goodness/ good things to the world. God lives in us, works through us to bring hope to others. Christians preserve hope. I don't think we could do that if it wasn't for the seasoning aspect. If we didn't stand out, weren't different or tangy, who would know where to go? The more we look and act like the world, the harder it is to see the hope God is offering. I guess what I'm trying to say is without that salt, that distinctive element which sets us apart, no one would believe we (or God) can offer anything worth having, much less preserving.

The presence of Christians in the world help preserve it against God pouring out His wrath upon the earth. We also preserve the very presence of Christianity, which different groups of people have been trying to destroy and obliterate since it began. Hopefully, we "sprinkle" God's message through society by our words and actions, and by Christians representing God to our culture through books, movies, music, teaching, and standing up for what we believe. As the salt of the earth, we are not called to clump together and ignore the rest of the world. Like salt stirred into food, we are to spread out and mix in (while not losing our saltiness) until our flavor is spread throughout the whole world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Christians are the salt of the earth in the preservation analogy in that they preserve the truth and teachings of the Word. When the Word is preserved it changes lives and when lives are changed, evil is held at bay. Just as preserved foodstuff can last for ages, the Word lasts forever.

As the seasoning analogy, Christians show others to tase and see the goodness of the Lord and His savlation. The salt of the Christian witness brings life to a bland and dying life.

Perservative - Christians perserve the earth as righteous people. These people are the children of God and he won't destroy the earth for love of them.

Seasoning - We are not to be bland citizens, but those with much "flavor" a kind of zeal and excitement.

• If we use the preservative analogy, we would say that Christians by their very presence help preserve the world and hold back the wrath of God against it. I believe that God's mercy on our sinful world is due to the prayers and presence of the saints on earth. Christians have awakened the conscience of society through the ages. Christians paved the way for the abolition of slavery in the United States. Christians led the way toward a non-violent protest against racial discrimination. Christians fight for the life of the unborn child.
  • Christians being the salt of the earth, salt has to do with witness and conversation. We're under so much pressure to give up our differences and blend in with society. We must not allow our lives to become compromised, worthless, insipid, tangy-less and good for nothing except like salt that has lost its saltiness, which is fit to be thrown on the pathway to keep the grass from growing on it. Instead we must live a life of witnessing for Christ.

I see in Mark's Gospel chapter 9 verse 50 it says in the second part of the verse "You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves and live in peace with each other". So I take that to mean that we must be a preservative and an enhancement. Look at it this way-to a person you may be the only link between this person and God! This person is watching to see what you do-how you talk, your reaction to different situation, etc. Be able to preserve your own beliefs with regular Bible study, and at the same time, be able to season your witnessing with The Word, so that people you witness to will know that you know what you're talking about. The Lord impressed this upon me this morning. When someone asks you a question, for instance, how do you answer? If you know the answer, you give it right away, and if you don't know the answer, then you say "I don't know the answer-let's go find it" or "I don't know that one, but I'll look it up and get back to you today". Don't leave 'em hanging! And also-hesitation is not good. We must be able to enhance right off the bat. That way, you preserve your testimony, and you enhance your witness!

• 2 weeks later...

As Christians we are to be the living reflection of our Lord and preserve His "likeness" in the earth before those who do not know Him. As seasoning we are to be a welcome addition to those who need a savior. Making our world better because of the presence of God that fills us. However we will be persecuted because God brings the personal accountability to all His creation, desiring them to be in His likeness, so we are also to be a catalyst for change in the world that lives without Him.

In the preservation analogy, Christians are the "salt of the earth" in a sense that Christian by their presence help preserve the world and hold back the wrath of God against it.

In the seasoning analogy, Christians are the "salt of the earth" in a sense that Christians

Christians are the "salt of the earth" because by their very presence in the world, help preserve the world and hold back the wrath of God against it. It is through the prayers of the saints God hears and His mercy is poured on the earth.

Using the seasoning analogy, Christians bring flavor where ever they go. Their conversation and witness of Jesus Christ brings light to the world. Their presence make a difference. They bring a change as those of the world can't.

• 2 weeks later...

Preservation - keeping God's word preserved and standing for Him.

Seasoning - not blending into the world around us - being a little more seasoned - making a difference - being outspoken about the things of God. Not being desensitized by the world.

• 2 months later...

1. Christians are there to perserve the Word. To pass along the teachings of Jesus.

2.This world is a very bland place. We bring flavor. We bring out the good.