JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger and Murder

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder? Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes? How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

Calling somone a fool certainly is NOT love..Sin is removing myself from the PATH.. Both bitterness and murder are diverting us from the path laid out for us.. It hurts us, puts us out of the joy Jesus wants us to experience..Out of the Kingdom of Heaven on this Earth..

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder? Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes? How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

Calling someone a fool is dangerous because it consists of maliceous slander, poison in the tongue, and it kills secretly and slowly. Harsh words are as arrows in the heart, thus stabbing and killing the soul. Yes, it means that murder is no greater than an angry insult in God's eyes. If we realize that our angry attitude is viewed by God as murder, we would seek God's face and pray for the Holy Spirit to help us controlour thoughts and words. We should cry out to the Lord to let our thoughts be your thoughts, and our words be your words in Jesus name.

• 2 weeks later...

Sin is sin in God's eyes. Man thinks in degrees of sin. People are sent to prison for murder by earthly judges. When we stand in front of our Lord on judgement day he will see all the sins we have commited not just the "worst ones". That is why it is so important to have a daily relationship with God and always to ask his forgiveness of our sins. We are human and God knows we are going to sin. He is there for us every day all we need do is invite him in and allow him to work in our lives. God always leaves a window open for us if our burdon becomes to much to bare.

Because of the anger behind such a rant. Our words can be like a sword and cause lots of pain for the person who is being abused by our words. Anger is a sin, God sees all sin as sin. After reading this lesson I have a better view of how God sees anger. The rest of my life should be devoted to removing or conquering my angry emotions. I once had a Pastor who said when words between two people get angry one of the people should should start praying to God. Many arguments are stopped in this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22)

Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

We should not take pride in never having committed murder. Jesus mentions we must not even have had murderous thoughts. If we call someone a fool or moron; we in our anger have insulted that person. It is this unrighteous anger that Jesus warns us against and condemns

• 1 month later...

[1] Jesus said if you break one of my laws you break them all.And calling someone a fool says you have anger in your heart concerning that person.

[2] A sin is a sin in the eyes of GOD and do you want to be a man pleaser or GOD pleaser .And I dont believe being angry is a sin because jesus christ was angry at the merchant's in his fathers temple for they have turned his fathers temple into a market place.

So its how you handle that anger so why not give it up to GOD And it says in scripture whatever you say to one of mine you also say to me .So if you call someone a fool you are calling GOD one and I dont want to go there [DO YOU]

• 4 months later...

This is the same type of unrestrained, angry reaction. The outcome may different or less drastic, but the angry spirit and lack of control are very similar.

No, it is not the same or at the same level. Murder is obviously anger taken to the extreme. The point is that your unrestrained anger violates the spirit of the law even if it doesn't violate the letter of the law.

We would take a lot more care to ensure that our language and actions did not become thoughtlessly abusive or brutal towards others.

• 1 month later...

(Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

Jesus is looking at what causes a murder. This is ANGER. When one calls someone a fool it is motivated by the same exact thing as the murder. Again Jesus is going to the "heart" of the matter. He is not looking at law through legal eyes, but through spiritual eyes.

Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes?

It appears that for Jesus it is the same. I think of the story Picture of Dorian Grey. The picture reflected Dorian's internal and wicked character. If we speak in anger, our spirits are marred. We are in sin. We are in threat of hell's fire.

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

I believe this. It makes me understand that "none is righteous, no not one." We cannot be saved by keeping the law. We must allow the spirit of God to transfer our being so we won't feel anger toward others.

• 1 month later...

1Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder? Malice, slander, bitterness, resentment, , jealousy, backstabbing, etc. it all comes from the same bad root. That's not God's way. Saying bad things about one another doesn't promote God's love, it dishonors God. It shows your heart is not in the right place with God. If you let such behavior grow in you, from a simple cruel word, it can eventually lead you to do more harm and get the best of you. Better to pray for those you don't like and send them love and offer forgivness if need be.

Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes? All sin is the same to God, except for the unpardonable sin. As you become angry with someone you start murdering them in your thoughts, eventually it could lead to even the very act if we are not careful. These thoughts are like weeds, bad thoughts can choke God's word right out of our hearts, then our hearts can become hardened until it hurts us. God is love, and if God's love is in you, you would love.

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder? If we knew that having angry attitudes towards others is against God, we shouldn't do it. It not only hurts others, but it hurts ourselves and we show that we are not living in God.

God's peace and blessings, Lory

• 3 months later...

Anger is a secondary emotion - it comes in stead of another emotion.

Besides this, it leads to bad actions.

Jesus wants us to love and not do bad things.

Take for example my grandmother - she talks before she thinks.

Many times she insults people - she doesn't mean to hurt but just has no clue about other people's emotions.

Then I can get angry - and the anger starts to grow - until I get mean to.

And she doesn't even know what she did wrong.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesus treats them both the same because as it says in the study the root is the same...the root of both actions is hatred, hatred directed at another person which is 180 degrees from what Jesus said the greatest commandment was which is to love one another.

It is correct...from what we are reading here that both are equally vile in the eyes of God.

I believe that we would perhaps treat everyone differently if we actually believed this. I think as humans this is a monumental task for us to try and overcome the overpowering feelings of anger that we sometimes have towards one another, but it is something that we are supposed to live up to according to the Bible and how we are taught.

Anger is the root of murder. If we do not control our anger, we may get to the point of actual murder.Sometimes angry words can deeply hurt another.

I think murder is still worse but anger is not okay.

We would try a lot harder to control our anger if we thought it was the same thing as murder.

• 1 month later...

When we think of what leads to murder, anger ans strong words, we can already get a good perspective of what leads to heated tempers and what can unfortunately lead minds to when they are out of control in anger.

Secondly, when we call another a fool, we hurt the person and if they believe us they are diminished and on the path to lower self esteem. Yelling such words impregnates an idea into another person's head, and we are in a sense trying to kill that person's spirit with such bad words. Doing this to a child would seem even worse, scaring them if they honestly believe they are a fool.

this should give us a guilty conscience any time we lose control and call bad words to another person, no matter the circumstances. We need to recall such moments and see how we might 'fix/repent' of our sins with those who received the bad words.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus is simply saying that calling someone a fool in this way is a sin in the same way that murder is a sin... and sin is sin. It is wrong and offends God. I don't think that He is saying though that having angry attitudes towards others is murder, because quite clearly it isn't. It is just that both are an offence against God and in God's eyes any sin is a sin.

• 2 weeks later...

Our actions stem from the feelings we have. Jesus wants us to have pure hearts so that we will have honorable actions. For example, the roots of a weed can be equated with our thoughts. The plant springing from the roots are comparable to the acts emerging from the roots. It's all the same thing: roots and the plant it produces. Yes, this means that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes.

We would act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes toward others are viewed by God as murder by allowing the Holy Spirit to check us for those thoughts. Then, we should ask for forgiveness for having them, and ask God to help us eradicate those thoughts from our lives. Also, we must realize that God loves those people who hurt us, but He doesn't condone their erroneous behavior. We must also remember that in the Christian's job description, our job is to love people, not judge them. This doesn't mean we won't recognize them by their fruits though. We should pray for them to change into loving people whenever they are putting forth sinful "fruit."

• 2 weeks later...

Our actions stem from the feelings we have. Jesus wants us to have pure hearts so that we will have honorable actions. For example, the roots of a weed can be equated with our thoughts. The plant springing from the roots are comparable to the acts emerging from the roots. It's all the same thing: roots and the plant it produces. Yes, this means that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes.

We would act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes toward others are viewed by God as murder by allowing the Holy Spirit to check us for those thoughts. Then, we should ask for forgiveness for having them, and ask God to help us eradicate those thoughts from our lives. Also, we must realize that God loves those people who hurt us, but He doesn't condone their erroneous behavior. We must also remember that in the Christian's job description, our job is to love people, not judge them. This doesn't mean we won't recognize them by their fruits though. We should pray for them to change into loving people whenever they are putting forth sinful "fruit."

I love what you wrote here Rochelle; especially the word picure of comparing our thoughts to the roots of a plant. All our outward behaviors begin as thoughts in our hearts. I would go one further to say if the roots are fertilized with a daily dose of the Word our fruit should reflect that.

If we believed anger toward another and murder were equal in God's eyes we would be more careful to correct those thoghts rather than entertain them and share them.

• 1 year later...

This is one of the most confusing scriptures for me when I was a young teen. Fool for us today is a far cry from the meaning as Christ applied it. The word in Greek is the deepest and most damning form of 'fool'. It is almost a curse in that it debases everything about the person being maligned from the spiritual to the physical to the mind. It's much worse than being referred to as a 'leper'. Because of it's damning nature, Christ equated it with murder.

I have no doubt that Christ meant that the 'act' of such a 'curse' was the same as actually committing murder considering that He used other such examples where the act was the same as the deed as in 'adultery in ones heart'. Living with such an understanding would definately have a braking effect on our anger especially in the form of speaking it out.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22)

Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because, they are both motivated by the same thing: anger.

Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes?

I think so. They are both mean hatred to a person.

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

We would have acted with love towards everyone.

• 1 month later...

I just did a quick Bible search of the word anger. Seems lots of people were angry. And the comandment is 'Thou shall not kill' not 'Thou shall not get angry'. I always thought Jesus was angry when He tipped the temple money changers' tables. God's anger is mentioned repeatedly, too. Sin is beyond God's nature, so maybe there is something else here.

If we are made in God's image could this be one emotion through which we might identify with Him?

Anger is certainly a heightened emotion. And anger, taken to an enraged extreme, is out-of-control. That is foolish. God is certainly never out-of-control, just the opposite. But where the line is crossed between an emotion and out-of-control may be different for different people. That line may define foolishness.

On the other hand, being consumed by a grudge. Remaining angry and not 'getting over it' certainly is foolishness, too. Anything that consumes our being comes between us and the Lord. How sad to come the day of judgement, to stand before God, and have to face Him to say 'I was too angry about ....... to build a relationship with You'.

• 1 year later...

Jesus says that one who calls another a fool does so with a heart that lashes out in anger and venom.  This is its way expresses anger toward the man's character which puts one in danger of the fires of hell.  It is comparable to murder.  If words can kill the spirit, it can "kill" the man.  So in this way it is murder in God's sight.  If we viewed anger as God does, the world would be a much softer spoken world.  We would obey the commandment of "Love your neighbor as yourself"!

• 1 year later...

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because both sins come from the same root of anger.  Angry insults intend to kill the spirit, while murder intends to kill a person's physical being. I don't know if an angry insult is as great a sin as murder in God's sight, but because the intent to kill or wound (whether physically or emotionally) is connected, we need to take heed to the seriousness of Jesus' words. We need to watch the angry words coming from our mouths because they show the anger in our hearts.  We need to let God deal with us on this!  We need to heed the Holy Spirit's conviction.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because it kills their spirit, their feelings or emotions have been insulted and damaged by bad characterization which can be associated with judging.

Yes, this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes.

If we believed that angry attitudes towards others is viewed by God as murder, we would not say 90% of the things we say.  In our upset moments, we would not speak, we would leave the situation quickly.

• 3 months later...

By callling people names, you are actually killing their spirits and their souls. So in all reality you are a killer. This can be worse than killing them outright. Because this pain can stick with them their whole life. I feel that if we would stop and realize how our anger and our words actually hurt people, we would try and only talk with love. We would  be more patient of their faults because we would be more aware of our own faults. However, unlike outright murder, a person would be able to ask for forgiveness of their hurtful words. We would be able to ask for forgiveness from them and then ask God for forgiveness and help to be better people and to control our anger more. I also feel that we would stand up more for those people that were being bullied. We would want to save them from the hurt that they receive.

• 1 month later...

I think that Jesus treated calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because it came from the same heart. If from the heart you called somebody a fool from that same heart you would murder them. I don’t think that in God’s eyes that murder so no worse than being angry but unless you settle what the conflict in your heart you might murder that person. If we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder then we would treat people with more respect.