JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger and Murder

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder? Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes? How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

Anger and murder come from the root. Murder and tearing people down both destroy people. I think both murder and angery insult express the same feeling with different physical results. The spirit is same and in reality are no different.

If we really wraped our minds around this issue, we would change our attitudes towards others. We would treat our angry behavior towards like murder and be more careful and prayerful in our dealings with others.

Everything is about the spirit and the spirit behind what we say and do.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

To have evil intent in one's heart will bring about a judgement upon you. The word "fool" renders us guilty before God, for this type of behavior where we use anger,or vile only hurts and it can kill the spirit.

Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes?

The intent of murder and anger are the result of wanting to kill either the flesh or the spirit rending it lifeless which will result in a guilty judgement from God. For it is said that we are to love our neighbor.....

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

I know that from now on, I will look for the good inside everyone instead of carrying or haboring an angry spirit which will bring about a judgement upon me. We take this lightly because I don't believe (like the Pharisees) we fully understood the extent of this in God's eyes, not until today, I know my behavior is going to change. I will try to carry a loving spirit towards my fellow man from this day forward haboring no ill-will against any of God's children and the word fool will be totally void from my vocabulary.

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder? Does this mean that murder is no worse than an angry insult in God's eyes? How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

When we belittle another person it causes harm to that person. It may well be that they carry that forward in their life and it can affect them later. It can murder their self esteem.

God wants us to be like Christ, and Christ did get angry. But he was not mean and did not belittle others. We are to contol our anger, and to forgive those that anger us. It does not matter if the anger is justified or not. Jesus is saying that it is the anger that causes one to murder, so we must be slow to anger. That is why anger and murder is the same.

I think we would act differently. I know that I do. It is not easy. We live in fleshly bodies and have tendencies of the flesh. In order to control our anger we must learn to control the flesh.

Jesus treats them the same because they both are evil and come from the evil one and from our evil hearts. Both a murderer and one who gives out angry insults are evil in God’s eyes, and both desperately require God’s forgiveness for them to be made right before the Lord. I have read these verses many times through the years of my Christian life, but never thought that they would convict me as much as they do now. I now realize that God is holy and expects us to be holy and righteous before Him, and we as sinful people can only become that way by claiming the precious blood of Jesus Christ to take away all of our sin—even the murder and angry insults of our evil hearts. I immediately confessed this sin in me for many years and asked the Lord to help me to repent from doing it again. This is how we need to act when we actually believe that God as murder—to confess them as sin before the Lord and then to repent from these sins, views our angry attitudes towards others. Amen!

Q2. (Matthew 5:21-22) Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

Calling someone a "fool" begins within the heart, when we allow anger to take over, letting it boil up within. I think about Cain and how he responded to the Words of God when asked, "why are you so very angry? If you do well, you will be accepted. Danger is at your door (anger) but you can and should rule over it.

DANGER is at our door if we allow ANGER to rule instead of LOVE. Cain allowed this anger to rule, he even spoke to God in a way I say is bordering on calling Him "fool" I hear in his answer to God - Gen 4:9 And Jehovah said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not:(a lie) am I my brother's keeper? (disrespectful, as we would say today, hello.)

This undeserved, uncontrolled anger, lead to murder of a righteous man. The most important part to remember is-- where does ANGER come from? 1John 3:12 Cain was of the evil one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

Psa 14:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Murder is the result of uncontrolled anger, jealousy, emotions, this is what Jesus is warning us about. Danger is at the door, check your attitude at the door before you go on. As God Himself tells us in Genesis, "you can and should rule over it"-- let Love rule instead.

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder? I take this warning to heart and pray that love will rule in my heart. I pray God will help me in those times when I do have reason to be Angry, today I find many things to be angry about, but, I do not want it to rule over my heart, and at the same time I do not want my heart not to feel the injustice all around me. Thank you Jesus for this warning, I love You!

Words Kill... Calling someone a fool and murder come from the same "root". ANGER. While murder is a physical action, an angry insult is just as bad because it attacks ones spirit and can cause life altering attitudes. We hurt one's spirit by insulting them in any way. Our spirit man belongs to God so we would be cursing God by insulting anyone for anything.

Murder comes from the root emotion of anger. People don't murder if they are happy and content. Most murders occur by people that they know - random murder does happen gbut it is more likely to be someone they know. Why? Because they have been hurt - angry for some reason. This is why Jesus says that murder is the same as anger.

God didn't create the commandments for the extremes in society but for everyday. Although murder is happening more often it is still an extreme behaviour - the everyday behaviour of that is anger. I believe that anger and murder are the same in God's eyes! Jesus says that anyone who is angry with his brother is subject to judgment - the same as murder!

If we truely believed that anger was the same as murder - we would be slow to anger - pray for deliverance from it - repent for it - ask forgiveness for it. Often it is in the heat of the moment and when we step back from the situation it is trival. The Bible doesn't say that we should never be angry - it is the attitude that goes with it.

Because they have one source heart.

before insulting some one,we think about it and decide ,

the same way to murder,one have to decide and act.All from the heart.

Oh yes,we should forgive,not open our mouth any how.

it's like amputating anothers spirit. look, we all want to be accepted and loved, but when we rip into someone else because we have no self control,we can deeply hurt and isolate people by the bushels. god wants us to reconize the long term effect,anger ruins everything in its path,and sometimes there is no remedy for its cancer.

Jesus treat all sins the same because there is no better sin.they are all equal to Him.murder is the same with insult .they are all caused by anger.we can be angry but not until sunset.

Because words can kill the spirit.

I have never thought of it in that way before, but apparently words are as bad as murder. In James 3:6 it say, "It (the tongue) corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

We would manage our mouths alot more carefully if we believed God viewed what we said as murder.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because both come from the same root. Anger and the vile venom it inspires kill the spirit of a person,destroying self-confidence.

I believe that God considers an angry insult and murder the same. Both are sin in His eyes. Both sent His Son Jesus to the cross.

If we really believed that God viewed angry attitudes as murder we would be more careful to guard our tongue. We would guard our thoughts more carefully. A few years ago, there was a movie out were a man got arrested and put in prison just for thinking about murdering someone. It was set in a future time where a person's thoughts were no longer secret to himself but were monitered by thought police.

The spirit and attitude behind both situations are the same. Sin is sin. The heart must be changed because the spirit that crushes someone elses's soul/spirit is the same spirit that murders someone physically. If we really believed this, we would choke back and change our attitudes when we become angry.

Q 2A Why does Jesus treat calling some one a fool in the same classification as muder? I really do not understand this one yet.

This is some of what I found. Fool, Fool's, Fools found in the Bible some 115 times.

Judgment: Is the judgment of God.

Raca: A term of contemp.

Council: Refers to the Sanhedrin.

Fool: Intellectual stupidity, Spiritual blindness.

hell fire: Everlasting fire.

Then the Bible says that God, Jesus, and Paul called people fools.

1 Corinthians 4:10, 15:36, Matthew 23:17,19, Luke 11:40, 12:20, 24:25.

I will keep praying about this one.

Q 2B Does this mean that muder is no worse than an an angry insult in God's eyes? I think God sees sin as sin. All sin is bad in the eyes of God.

Q 2C How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others viewed by God as muder? The same as we act knowing a sin is a sin. We should have the fear of God in us about sin. Any sin.

• 3 weeks later...

Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

Becuase he knows how much words can hurt, how deep that hurt can go. Its just as if you took a gun to some one and shoot them and killing them. :unsure:

It kind of puts it on the same level. Just as murder can cause pain for the family. God knows our words are just as deadly unless we learn to control our tongue. <_<

How would we act differently if we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder?

We would start thinking before we open our mouths. We would think about the affect our words will have on the ones we are speaking to. :rolleyes:

By calling someone a fool, we are doing damage to their heart and spirit. Anger is a natural passion, but when we use it without cause, any good effect, without moderation, it is sin. We could be angy with someone and hurt them so bad, it could cause them to be destroyed. When we are headstromg in our anger, violent, outrageous, and mischievous, and when we seek the hurt of those we are displeased with, this is a breach of the sixth commandment, for he that is angry would kill if he could. He is a murderer in the eyes of God, who knows his heart. (2) In the Lord's eyes, yes, because both are sin and are of an evil spirit to do harm to others. (3) We would learn to show our anger in the love of the Lord. We would think twice about our words and guard against our thoughts to be sure they are the words of the Lord.

Jesus is saying that anger towards someone and murder both stem from the same seed within the heart. It doesn't seem "fair" in our eyes, but I guess God does see murder and angry insults as both equally sinful, since He sees our heart attitudes even more than our outward actions, and both of these actions come from the same root in our heart.

If we actually believed that God sees angry attitudes as murder, we would not be so quick to get angry over insignificant things.

• 3 weeks later...

There are many parts of us that can be killed, our body, our self esteem, our spirituality. the thing I would fear most if we ridicule or condemn is that we have lost our effectiveness to bring the "Good News" to the lost and it could come to pass that the person would not hear the Word of God and may not find Jesus and thus not find the Kingdom of Heaven.

When you denigrate someone, you can kill their spirit and when you do this, you hurt the Lord because He has warned us to love others as we would love ourselves and not to think of ourselves more highly than others.

God sees all sin as equal, only humans classify sin, so unjustified ange, which leads to worse consequences than just that feeling of anger, is a sin in His eyes just as much as murder is.

If we want to please our Loving God, we would watch what we say, because hurtful and angry words spoken to someone can't be retrieved. We would pray more for the Holy Spirit to help us practice the fruit of the spirit so that when we feel really angry enough to hurt someone, the Spirit will minister to us and we will speak words of kindness and love instead.

• Jesus goes to the heart of the Law as he expounds the motivation behind murder -- anger, and because of this Jesus classifies anger as bad as murder as they both come from the same root.
  • Jesus is saying that we are guilty before God for a heart that lashes out in anger and venom. If we believe that an angry attitude is viewed by God as murder, we would not insult others or speak rudely and harshly to them. Insulting words crush the spirit and affect us sometimes for life.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because the anger that instigates the name calling is similar to the anger that instigates murder.

In God's eyes and as told by Jesus, if you commit one sin, you commit them all, so I would have to believe that murder is no worse than anger. In believing that, we would tend to put more control on our emotions and work to keep anger out of our demeaner.

I read a sermon by John Wesley entitled "Sermon on the Mount- No. 22" and in this sermon Wesley said that meekness does not include name-calling, or insults. If we are angry with someone we need to settle it right away. Do not let the sun go down on your anger (I can't remember the chapter and verse-maybe Proverbs). We are to love unconditionally. That way, we are letting our light shine. Unprovoked anger is usually the case. We think our feelings have been hurt. For instance, My husband might call me a nasty name. I re-act by calling him one, etc. It is not Godly for me to respond with a similar response. When Jesus was being tortured, He said nothing. When the soldiers mocked Him, He said nothing. When they spat on Him and gambled for His clothing, He said nothing. He wasn't being a coward-He was showing His love for humanity. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe one of the soldiers had a change of heart after Jesus died!

In God's eyes, one sin is as bad as another-they are all the same. This is hard for me to grasp sometimes. I re-act differently to the same situation at various times, and I always know when I re-acted wrongly! I think our emotional make-up, and the fact that we cannot always control how we re-act to different circumstances, causes many problems for us as Christians. I have to confess often because my anger gets the best of me. Also, I appologize a lot, too. I pray that God will help me with this problem-help all of us. Meekness is the key! Being able to walk away when we have a conflict, or be able to settle it with fairness, love, and compassion. we need to remember that Jesus died for sinners-that means you and I. Everyone. God help us to sort this out and understand!

Hope I didn't ramble too much. I get excited, and don't know when to stop! Also hope the answer I gave makes sense!

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because calling someone a fool and murder come from the same root, that is, a heart that lash out in anger and venom, because of which we are guilty before God

Yes, murder is not worse than an angry insult in God's eyes

If we actually believed that angry attitudes towards others are viewed by God as murder we would not say words that could hurt others, but ones that build and be full of grace.

Jesus treats calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder because both are in danger of the fire of hell. Calling someone a fool is not showing them love, in fact you show contempt for the person and displays anger in the heart. For the person who has murder in his heart and anger both are condemned by God. Because both are view by God as unrighteous, our attitude should be that of ensuring that our heart is pure and that our attitude towards all people is that of love.