JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Examples, Case Law, Hyperbole?

Q3. (Matthew 5:39-42) What do Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common? Someone has said that if we were to carry out verses 39-42 literally, we would aid and abet evil. Do you agree? How should we take these examples: As case law? As hyperbole? As a series of aphorisms or adages? In another way?

These words encourages us to pay back wrongs with a blessing, such us praying for the offenders. In God

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:39-42) What do Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common?

He wants us to do more than is required of us.

Someone has said that if we were to carry out verses 39-42 literally, we would aid and abet evil. Do you agree?

Yes I agree. If we take these verses literally and turn around and do the exact same thing to the person that has harmed us, we would be just as evil as they are.

How should we take these examples: As case law? As hyperbole? As a series of aphorisms or adages? In another way?

I don

Q3. (Matthew 5:39-42) What do Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common? Someone has said that if we were to carry out verses 39-42 literally, we would aid and abet evil. Do you agree? How should we take these examples: As case law? As hyperbole? As a series of aphorisms or adages? In another way?

They are all about loving those who would use or abuse you as yourself. It is all about radical love. Radical love is a witness to the love of God. It does not aid and abet evil. Remember, God is involved in what is happening. God is also working in our lives to perfect us.

We should take these examples just as Jesus meant for them to be taken. Love your enemies and those who would abuse you. Love them. Love transforms the heart. If I love only my friends, what transformation and character development is taking place in my life? This kind of love also takes back the receiver of such love.

they all go against what i feel in my heart when i am wronged. god has shown us how to respond in these difficult events. but love will cover and bring forth. if your like me, there are times i want to only love when people deserve it. but that is why jesus said these words. and it is the correct way to love.

They are showing His love for all man kind. It doesn't matter if they are enemy or a friend. He wants His love to be given out. (2) No, I do not agree. When we go that extra mile, we are letting God take care of the revenge for the wrong that was sone to us. (3) We should take these examples to understand the love God wants us to show to our enemies, HIS LOVE. When we have God's love we will have understanding, forgiviness, and peace.

They are all examples. They are not case law to serve as the basis of a new Christian legalism. The theme is non-retaliation. Jesus says: Do not set yourself against the evil person. Jesus wants us to do more than is required of us by our enemies, by those who are trying to use us, by those who are trying to take advantage of us. Rather than turn on them with resistance and retaliation we are to -- in love for them -- give them more than they require. Jesus isn't placing his followers outside the protection of justice, but he is calling them to a higher standard. Instead of retaliation and resistance against enemies, he calls them to a radical love.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus is showing us to have love and mercy instead of retaliation. It would be evil if we sought revenge. This should be taken as an example not literally.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jesus is trying to show us that love should be the last word, no matter what the situation. It isn't being passive-it is being obedient to The One who gave Himself for us. We need to be kind and compassionate and let God handle the vengence. For me, this is personal. I get a lot of grief because I don't like hard rock. At work, the radio is played and the station of choice is hard rock. I hate this music! And the boss turns it up loud! My human side wants to go to the plant manager and complain-get someone in trouble. But the spiritual side of me remains quiet-restrained. God will give me what I need to get through the night (I work third shift). He will deal with the offending party. I trust God to look after me. Afterall, He says He will in His Word! Don't fear the one who can destroy the body-fear The One who can destroy both body and soul! Gloray to God Almighty!

Q3. (Matthew 5:39-42) What do Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common?

He wants us to do more than is required of us by our enemies, by those who are trying to use us, by those who are trying to take advantage of us. Rather than turn on them with resistance and retaliation we are to -- in love for them -- give them more than they require.

Someone has said that if we were to carry out verses 39-42 literally, we would aid and abet evil. Do you agree?

Sometimes in reaching people to come to Christ you have to go where they are to bring them out. In so doing, you may appear to be aiding and abetting evil.

How should we take these examples: As case law? As hyperbole? As a series of aphorisms or adages? In another way?

In each of the examples given, we are to look at every situation and discover how we can show Christ's love to the person who is attempting to cause damage.

They are all examples of how we should show love for our fellow man under different situations. Literally, they could be taken as pacifist actions which could, when taken advantage of, abet evil. These should be taken as examples, under the perception of the laws (or lack of) at the time they were written, of how to show love and avoid a retaliatory situation.

• 6 months later...

What they have in common is a higher standard of love than this world can give or understand. No, we would not aid and abet evil. We should take these examples as illustrations of a greater standard and love that God wants us to live by. We are to show love, His love to the people that hurt and abuse us, to people that take advantage of us. To give them more than they expect, by giving lovingkindness and forgiveness.

They all say to give more then you are asked to give. Yes we would aid and abet evil in the literal sense, but Jesus is talking about doing things in love. His intent could not have been for us to help or do evil. I would say it is hyperbole. Because they were examples that Jesus used to teach about how we should act toward our enemies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They seem to me to be illustrations of modeling God's love in the world rather than mirroring the enmity of your antagonist's.

No. We can show people God's love and affirm the power that goodness has over evil. It is way to hold a mirror up to evil, aggressive people to show them what their behavior really looks like in comparison with God's ideal.

They are examples of how we should give people more than they demand. We can show them the same kind of love and service (with no self-serving motives), that Jesus has for us all.

• 3 months later...

What do Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common?

Each are teaching radical love. They all are indicating that we should not retaliate. These words go against the flow of the culture of the time.

I have heard this said as well. Some people think the term do not resist indicates passive behavior. But the Greek word for resist is anthistēmi. Anthistēmi broken into two parts means: anti, "against" and istēmi, "put, set, place." or "be in opposition to, set oneself against, oppose". The term carries with it hostility. Jesus is concern with are inner being. Jesus spoke against evil, turn over tables in the Temple, yet when asked to pay taxes, he did. So we can go against evil, but we must not retaliate or compromise the law of love.

To me these are just that examples. Jesus tells the people, "Do no resist an evil person", then provides examples that people would understand. He isn't talking to the judges, but common people. The examples are real not exaggerations or hyperboles, the examples themselves are harderly common sayings of general truth. Jesus wants us to live differently. He wants us to love our enemies and to prayer for those who persecute us.

• 10 months later...

Jesus asks us to be prefect. When they nailed him to the cross, we know he said, "Forgive them, they don't know what they are doing.."

We have not walked in the shoes of the other 'evil' person who is demanding too much. We are all sinners, but do we give every thing to an evil person? In divorce court this approach can be expensive for the 'good' person, but really who is good and who is not, is a matter of which relatives you speak to when the court is not in session. He said He would judge and we must love these others.

Possible plan of action, be very alert, awake, aware for what people are doing around you. Try your best to understand them and help them know Christ, before they take what the feel they need by crook or by hook.

• 3 weeks later...

Verses 39-42 share the commonality of doing more for someone than is what demanded. The theme Jesus wants us to follow is one of meekness. Out of love for others we are to show them that we are different from the world. Often this comes in the way of us being mistreated. It would be easy for us to seek revenge of to ignore the poor, but it would not be God's will for us to do so.

The way I would answer all these questions is it takes at least two for conflict to be stirred. If you respond to conflict or hatred in a loving way you have diffused the evil and quite possibly open a door to love. Unconditional love. It's the same as I tell my children: If their sibling starts somethng they are just as bad to get involved in the argument through retaliation. But if they give up a turn or do a chore that might not be theirs to do they show love and create peace. I don't agree because these recations to evil intent directed toward us personnally that Jesus commands we do are for our personal reaction dealing with unjust treatments. His command protect us from being vengeful and still allow justice to be administered by the legal system. we remain blameless of evil when obeying His commands.

• 1 year later...

What they all have in common is that we must not take revenge against our fellow man. We must treat each of our offenders with compassion, forgiveness, and love, just as Jesus did.His example of forgiveness is immeasurable, He forgave all of mankind when He took our sins to the cross. He forgave the ones who tortured and persecuted Him on the cross. Leave revenge to God, God's justice is the only justice we need seek.

Romans 12:19 - Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

No, I do not agree.This is not pacifism (a refusal to meet evil with violence or war). There seems to be plenty of room in the Bible for self-defense.But this is clearly not aggressive, either.These verses are a specific warning not to take personal retribution.Don’t escalate the situation by “getting even”.Rather, de-escalate. Diffuse.

Pacify. Endure. Forgive.

We should look at these examples in all of the above mentioned ways.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 5:39-42)

The thing that Jesus' examples or tiny cameos in verses 39-42 have in common is LOVE to others, even our enemies.

I do not agree as by doing that, there will not be love and without love evil will not be abetted.

I think we should take these examples as hyperbole.

• 1 month later...

Although I haven't time to read them all, there are a lot of great replys by others.

My thought is that our great commission is to win others for Christ. With that as an objective, how do we react when wronged by another? There seem to be three possibilities: 1. resist, 2. take the 'wrong' and walk away, or 3. give more.

Resistance may only result in greater resistance and likely little 'glory' no matter the result. Certainly God is likely not to be honored. Greater force might be used on the next victim with greater damage done.

Giving what is taken and walking away only feeds the wrong but solicits no attention. The other person gets what they intended to take and will likely be encouraged not discouraged from future wrongs.

But to give more than is taken may at least evoke some attention and give God the opportunity to touch the other person's heart. This is a different reaction than the common one expected by 'the world'.

In another context, it also occurs to me that this seems to be God's way of dealing with us. We seem to view things as 'fair' and 'right & wrong'. He does not simply deal in ways that we humans value as 'fairness'. He has gone many extra miles with me and I pray He will continue as I stumble through life.

• 1 year later...

Verses 39 - 42 have in common a one for one. I think if we were to carry out these verses today it would be an example of Christian love.  If one takes from you give more.  Often our first thought would be to get back at someone if they took from us or to take it back.  Jesus says we are to do good to that person and even go one farther and do even better. Love them to death and forgive.  This is the Christian way.  To love one another.  Loving another causes stirrings of love in that person.  It might grow slowly and be cautious at first, but gradually becomes accepted.  Then it is a give and take.

• 1 year later...

Jesus' cameos are examples that show how to respond when someone is trying to hurt us in some way.  Instead of retaliating to our enemies, God calls us to love our enemies to the point of treating them by a standard way beyond typical relationships. I think we should use the spirit of what Jesus was trying to say; not a literal translation of them. The Law of Love, not self-interest, is the way of God's Kingdom.

• 1 month later...

Jesus' examples tell you to do more than you are asked to do which is showing love, after being insulted, oppressed and misused which is not aiding in evil.

Case Law - Love your enemy; correct someone if they are wrong; don't take revenge; and don't hold grudges.

Hyperbole - Turn the other cheek; if you are being sued for your tunic, let them have your cloak; you are forced to go a mile, go another mile.  

Aphorisms or adages - Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.  He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and send rain on both.

We art to take these examples as the way Christ would have us to live in love for all.

• 3 months later...

The examples tell us to go an extra mile for our enemies. We are to show them that even though they are against us, we as Christians will not hold any kind of revenge against them. We will set a better example and show them what love and dignity and respect really are to those that don't understand better behavior for themselves. These were just ideas on how to love your enemy as you love yourself.