JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Your Name

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 6:9) What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

The scriptures say that God is compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love...and most assuredly, He is Holy...Holy is His name. His name is desecrated when man curses His name and uses His name as though it were any other name (co-equal with man). Philippians 2 is a perfect example of the humility of Jesus and how He did not consider Himself co-equal with God, but took on the role of a servant.

We "hallow" the Father when we begin our prayer in a state of humility and praise before a Holy God.

Q1. (Matthew 6:9) What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

We honor and glorify God (or hallow His name), by conforming our lives to His precepts, ideals, and principles in the way we conduct our daily lives and decision making.

We desecrate or besmirch His name when we knowing sin against Him.

We "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray by recognizing His holiness and majesty.

• 3 weeks later...

If we are living a Christian life the way we act and the words that come out of our mouth will reflect on the Lord Jesus. That is why we are to give respect and reverence to God every day. We are to speak His words and live the life Christ lived. He is our HOLY GOD. We desecrate His name by using it in vain and by swearing upon it. We are to be very careful about how we use our words concerning God or any matter as far as that goes. We should hallow the Father when we begin to pray we respect and reverence Him, giving Him thanksgiving for His holiness and faithfulness and truthfulness.

• 2 weeks later...

When we become Christians we become "Children" of our Father God. This means that we should give him the respect due to Him. What we do and say must reflect that we are His children. Our lives must give respect to Him because we must live for Him and other people must see God in us.

When we begin to pray we should give respect to God because we are coming before a Holy Father. We should praise and let Him know that He is Holy and that there is no other God but Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Our lives and words should be presented as holiness before the world because we have God as our father living within us.

When we use God's Name in vain, we dishonour and disrespect the meaning of His Name.

We should respect Him, honour Him and magnify Him with deep intensity and sincerity

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:9) What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

The Father is holy, His name is holy and He is set apart from sin. As sinners we can approach the holy Father because of the work of Jesus at the cross, His atonement to reconcile us back to the Father.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

The Holy Father's name is desecrated and besmirched when used in a profane and common way.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

When we begin to pray, we "hallow" the Father by addressing Him as the God who is holy and above all. Though He is called Father, we respect His position of authority and greatness.

Everything we do and say reflects on God. We represent Him, afterall. So, when we speak, we should be careful how we answer or respond. We should say everything with love, and if we can't , then we should be quiet.

When we pray, the very first thing we should do is recognize that God is Holy, and He is our Father-I read that love letter, and I couldn't stop crying! I guess I just never realized how much or to what degree That God loves ME! My pea brain can not comprehend the fact that God sent His Son to die for me. That He has the very hairs on my head numbered. He knew me before I was formed in my mom's womb! We can live to be 1000 years old and, in this life, we will never be able to find love like this God kind of love! We just can't know another human that way. So, He really does deserve all the honor and praise that we can give Him, and more! I'll shut up now! Gloray!

• 2 weeks later...

Our actions and words are a reflection of what "hallows" the Father's name or not. Our actions should be a direct reflection of what Jesus has taught and our words should honor and praise God. We honor our Father when we pray by acknowledging his position and holiness.

• 1 month later...
i believe it is having the single mind..when it is one on one before the father.and what throws it all out the door is when we let our minds wonder and hurry through our religious duty with empty talk. like he said, they honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me..we must make every effort to get close to him with all our mind, heart and strength. the enemy hates this so the attacks to draw us away are gonna get more intense and more crafty, for they know the power in prayer....

• 5 months later...

We hallow the Father's name in our lives and words by living a Godly life and by giving Him praise, glory, and honor for God's holiness is the greatness and glory of all his perfection's. We give Him reverence. We desecrate it by using it in vain. When we begin to pray we should go to the Father in reverence of who He is, giving Him praise, glory, and thanksgiving. We need to put Him first in our prayers before anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

We hallow the Fathers name when we show the people around us that we love our Lord and want them to have a relationship with our Lord. We dishonor our Father when we use his name in vain or even in a common manner. I always praise the Fathers name when I begin a prayer. Telling him what a Great God he is and thanking him for all he has done for my family and for everyone else who lives in this world created by our Father.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:9)

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

We are to hold Him in reverence, to honour, glorify, and exalt Him. We are to have humility of spirit, and gratitude of heart. We will want to share this experience with others, to exalt this glorious God. We will be filled with gratitude and amazement when we observe God

• 5 months later...

We hallow the Father's name by always treating His name with reverence, because it's a symbol, a represetation, of God Himself. Once we have confessed Jesus as Lord of our lives, everything we do or say reflects on Him. Our lives are a constant witness, and we need to strive to make them a good witness, not a bad one.

Every time we use the Lord's name in a vain or common manner, we are detracting from the glory we should be giving to Him as the provider of everything we need, the creator of the universe who loves us as His children.

We come before Him and bow at His feet in an attitude of humility, worship, thankfulness and praise. I try to remember to start every prayer with "thank you" right after I address Him as my Heavenly Father and great and loving God.

• 2 months later...

God is our Father and holy. We must always have reverance for Him and his name. We should not take his name in vain. When we prayer Our Fahter who is in heaven, holy is your name, we remember that He is above all and set apart. A wonder and awesome in all ways.

• 2 months later...

1. In Jewish tradition, it has always been some kind of problem how to adress God.

He tells Moses His name but... this name does not exist and therefore can not be spoken.

In this place, we read Adonaj - i.e. our Lord.

Now, Jesus tells us how to adress Him:

We adress the Father as 'Father' - this name shows a personal bond.

We don't have to call Him by His function or our interpretation of the unspeakable name.

He wants to have a personal relationship and we have to honour this.

2. We desecrate His name by swearing and behaving bad. That we, we give opponents the change to say: he, those christians are just hypocrites.

3. We call Him Father because then we accept the relationship we have. Besides this, to a father you can tell everything. You don't trust your heart to a person you call Majesty or sir. That's to much of a distance. No, we call Him Father.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:9) What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? We should live our whole lives in reverence of God. If I stop and think for a moment that as well as being my Father (in the close Dad like sense) He is also the creator of the Universe and the power that holds everything together, then it is almost impossible but to have reverence for Him and to approach Him in awe and wonder. Our whole lives, including our speech must maintain this reverence.

What desecrates and besmirches it? When we treat God in a shallow worldly way and in particular when we use God's name other than with reverence.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray? We should approach Him in an attitude of awe and worship as well as love.

Q1. (Matthew 6:9) What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? We should live our whole lives in reverence of God. If I stop and think for a moment that as well as being my Father (in the close Dad like sense) He is also the creator of the Universe and the power that holds everything together, then it is almost impossible but to have reverence for Him and to approach Him in awe and wonder. Our whole lives, including our speech must maintain this reverence.

What desecrates and besmirches it? When we treat God in a shallow worldly way and in particular when we use God's name other than with reverence.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray? We should approach Him in an attitude of awe and worship as well as love.

• 2 weeks later...

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? We must honor our Father in all we do and say. We must live as Jesus taught us while He was on earth and how the Holy Spirit directs us.

What desecrates and besmirches it? Whenever we disobey the Holy Spirit or do or say things that are contrary to what God would have us do or say.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray? We should praise Him and let Him know that we are aware of His glory and how wonderful He is.

In the first part of today's question I am reminded of this part of a song we have sung in church:

Turn my heart oh God, like rivers of water

Turn my heart oh God, by your hand

Until my whole life flows in the river of Your Spirit

and my name brings honor

• 1 year later...

We should always pray to Our Father with reverence, respect for who He is, the Sovereign Creator of the universe. He is our Abba, however, for me, personally I've never felt comfortable calling Him "dad or daddy' simply because in my opinion this takes something away from His Holiness, His Sovereignty. I have tried a couple of time to call Him dad and felt very disconnected in my prayer and actually felt as though I were sinning by calling Him dad. He is reverent, and yes He is our Dad, Abba, but to call Him daddy is to informal for Our King. Even though He is both personal and reverent, He IS SOVEREIGN . Daddy has to much of an earthly connotation for me. I feel out of respect to address Him as Father. Perhaps this is a personal choice. I feel the need to address Him with the reverence and respect of Our Father, or Our Father God or Dear God. This term of endearment denotes more respect, superiority, holiness for our Sovereign Creator.

One habit which has been extremely hard for me to break is saying "Oh God" or "Oh my God". I'm not excusing my behavior, Lord knows in my heart I have struggled to break this pattern and have made great strides. I also use other cuss word and I'm working very hard to clean up my speech and with God's help I have accomplished much cleaning of my tongue! I am one of "those" Christians Pastor Ralph talks about that came 'back' or found God later in life and was born through water baptism in 2005, at age 54. I rededicated my life to God 7 years ago.

I grew up in a 'swearing' family. My mom and dad always used the phrase "G.D". or "C.A." in a disrespectful way. My dad, God rest his soul passed in 2005. My mom who is 86, still speaks this way. I cringe every time I hear her say "G.D," or "C.A". which she says A LOT. And maybe I'm wrong, but because she is my mother, I do not reprimand( maybe that's the wrong word, perhaps the word should be counsel) her out of respect for her. She still cusses a lot. It bothers me, I've never ask Our Father how I should address this situation with my mom, and her taking the Lord's name in vein. But because of this wonderful lesson,which is bringing enlightenment to me about how important this is, I am going to take this dilemma to Our Father and ask for His guidance. I feel now, after reading this lesson that it is more important for me to respect God's name then to respect my mom and that I should talk to her about it. I'm taking it to God in prayer and seek His counsel.I still have an occasional slip. I DO NOT say G.D. or C.A, the problem for me, as I expressed earlier in this post is with saying "Oh God" or "Oh my God". The Holy Spirit has enlightened me with awareness and I'm immediately conscience of saying this when I do, and ask for forgiveness right then and there. I'm still working on, but struggling a lot less with cleaning up my speech. I want to ALWAYS show reverence to OUR Father in ALL that I do, in action,and in word! I seek God with all my heart, to honor Him and praise and thank Him for everything.I want my actions to exemplify the character of His beloved son.Both in word and deed. It is a matter of the heart. We love God because He first loved us. He showed us what love is , God IS love. I want to be respectful, reverent, and obedient to Our Father in all that I do . I seek righteousness. Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:9)

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

That "hallows" the name of our Father about our lives and words is the respect we show to the name; using that name in deserving circumstances like prayers.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

What desecrates and besmirches it is our profane use of the name whereby sometimes we use it as a swearword.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

We should "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray by understanding that He is the respected one and He is great and holy.

• 1 year later...

Each and every time we pray along with each person we talk to or even our private thoughts should honor Our Father. By being reverent in all manner of speech and thought we are giving praise to Him.  When we treat another in a manner that we would not like to be treated or speak in a defaming way or even think unkind or lustful thoughts we desecrated and besmirched the Father.  When I pray, "Most Holy Father, who has given life and love to all...."

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Lord's name is honored and respected.  It is not spoken of haphazardly and used in a swearing manner.  We refer to Him as our heavenly father.