JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Forgiving and Forgiveness

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

Forgiveness keeps the flow moving. Unforgiveness impedes the life flow of the Living God...both to me and from me. Unforgiveness blocks God's forgiveness because unforgiveness is sin...and sin needs to be confessed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

We need to continually confess our sins in order to maintain fellowship with a Holy God. Unconfessed sin breaks fellowship with God. Until our sin is confessed to God, He is not going to bless us or answer our prayers.

If we are unwilling to forgive others their sins against us, it is sin and God will not forgive us our sin. We cannot expect God to forgive us of sin if we are unwilling to forgive others their sin against us.

• 1 month later...

We need to continually ask for forgiveness because we are not yet perfect and ANY UNCONFESSED SIN HINDERS OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE lORD.

Unforgiveness blocks our relationship with the Lord because when we don't forgive 100%, we are holding onto some grudge. If we want God to forgive us 100% we must let go of our grievances toward others and not recall the things they have done to us.

Unforgiveness blocks a blessing from God in that we hold onto our hurts and we can only receive when our hands are empty. So we must release the hurt we are holding, lift our empty hands toward God to receive a blessing from Him

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

We should continually ask forgiveness because it is in our forgiving others that we can receive forgiveness in kind from Father.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?

It is blocked because in His prayer Jesus teaches that as we forgive we are forgiven.

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

Unforgiveness blocks God's forgiveness because the one who choses not to forgive holds malice in his heart and his heart can only become pure when he forgives and receives forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

We should ever be asking for forgiveness because we are ever sinning-it's our nature, since we are fallen because of Adam. We are saved by grace, and that is a continuous proccess. We are separated from God when we don't confess and ask forgiveness, 'cause God can't be in the presence of sin-He is too pure and Holy. Additionally, when we don't forgive those who have wronged us, then God will not forgive us when we ask. He won't give to us what we can't give to others. So, if I refuse to forgive sally because she insulted me for no reson, then God, in turn, will not forgive me when I commit a sin and ask for forgiveness. It all goes back to the love thing. Love, no matter what. And if we ask God to help us love when we can't-guess what? He will! For we can do nothing without Him! Gloray!

We should continually ask forgiveness in order to have a relationship with God that tells him that we need Him in our lives and understand that such a relationship means that we must have the desire to "come clean" when we err. It may just be a slip of the tongue, an angry thought, or a word of gossip - the need is still there - to make sure that we do all we can to maintain a steady and strong relationship with our Father that is open, honest, and growing.

• 1 month later...

thats our spiritual draino, it keeps the pipes clean from all the blockage.but we must also be free to forgive quickly, as he freely forgave us. if we choose not to forgive, we end up dry and bitter, critical and very sharp, pointing our fingers at others, telling the world it is their fault for their lot in life, and we want see justice on them, but sympathy for us.we are warped people for sure. thats why we need to understand grace and mercy

• 5 months later...

We are to continually ask God's forgiviness so we can forgive others. We have to let go of the unforgiviness. It can block God's blessing because we have sin in our heart. Our heart is hard. Unforgiveness can block God's unforgiveness because we will not be forgiven. He will not hear our prayers. Forgiving is God's love. We have to show God's love.

• 2 weeks later...

We should always ask for forgiveness because we may have sinned and not even realize it. And as humans we are sinners. God is perfect and although we are made in his image we are not perfect. God knows we will sin, therefore we must ask forgiveness daily. We are to love each other knowing that we are sinful people that make mistakes. God calls us to forgive each other. God cannot bless us if we are walking around with the plank of unforgiveness in our eye. Jesus said God cannot forgive us if we don't practice forgiveness ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Because we continually have new sins that need to be forgiven. We are free from slavery to sin, but as humans have a sinful nature. As such we may even do sins that we aren't really aware of that need forgiveness. 1John 1:9 tells us "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." So even though justification is ongoing, we should still confess and ask forgiveness of our sins.

God is love. He is all about a love relationship with each one of us. He also is holy, so we must be holy. We are sinful by nature, so to be holy involves His forgiveness. Unforgiveness on our part is to deny the very essence of God. To deny God interferes with the love relationship, which can block the blessings that flow from it.

Jesus comes right out and says it in Matthew 6:15: "But if ye forgive not men their tresspasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

• 2 months later...

We are to ask God to forgive us so that we might have an open communication with Him. Jesus makes it clear that God's forgiveness is contingent on us forgiving others. If we don't, then we will not be forgiven and our communication with God will become broken.

• 2 months later...

Because we continually sin.

Unforgiveness is also a sin.

He will judge us like we judge other people.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) Why should we continually ask forgiveness? Because we constantly fail and fall back into sin.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness? The answer to these 2 questions is connected. Jesus makes it clear in verses 14 - 15 "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins". So if we are unable to forgive those who sin against us, then we are still in sin as far as God is concerned, and that will be a block to God's blessing on us.

Why should we continually ask forgiveness? As humans, we of course are imperfect. We sin. Regarding some situations it is so easy to fall back into sin before we realize what we are doing. For example, whenever someone hurts us, we are to forgive and not hold grudges against them. However, depending on the severity, it is often so hard to do the second part. Before we know it, often we are thinking about the incident and imagine what we would have liked to say to that person, or how we would have liked to get back at that person. That's when we should realize that that is sinning, and we should ask for forgiveness. Us humans are weak people. It's only the Holy Spirit living within us that makes us strong. We have to be strong in order to be in the center of God's will.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? God won't hear our prayers unless we have clean hearts. Also, we are only forgiven if we forgive those who hurt us.

• 2 weeks later...

We continually ask for forgiveness because we are sinners. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1John 1:8,9)Unforgiveness is simple disobedience since we are commanded to forgive. Also we are to follow Christ's example and He forgives all. To be unforgiving though keeps a "wrong" alive. It perpetuates bitterness. To forgive will begin the healing and peace in a relationship and is very loving. If you have ever wronged someone and sought their forgiveness you know the peace it brings you. You know the turmoil in your gut until you ask to be forgiven. If your apology is received and accepted you also know the blessing of knowing the relationship is experiencing healing.

Sin always breaks our fellowship with God. To be unforgiving is sin. When we hold onto bitterness His Spirit cannot flow through that to others because we are not allowing it. If we look at all God has forgiven us from we should be inspied to extend the same grace to others that they might feel His love through us.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15)

Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

We should continually ask forgiveness because as human beings we are always tempted anf fall into sinning. Thus we should like wise ask our Father to forgive us and thus be freed from sin we committed.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?

Unfirgiveness from our part can block God's blessing as we will be going against command that we should forgive in order for Him to forgive us and be accepted in His kingdom.

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

Unforgiveness can block God's forgiveness as God said that, if we don't forgive our debtors, He will also not forgive us.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if forgiveness is a 'act' or a way of being. To suggest we should continually ask for forgiveness implys we should become people who are forgiving not simply people who can forgive.

I know I will sin today. Likely many times before the day is over. How might I respond? Defensive? Self justifying? Sad? Sorrowful? Questioning? I seems God does not want us to respond to our failures in any of these ways. The life He has planned for us is to understand our shortfalls - to care about the things He cares about. When we fail our failure should be heart felt - we are outside the will of God at these times. But He does not intend for us to live in the past with these failures. These are times when we should be learning about His will.

We live in today. He forgives our transgressions, knowing that as His children we want to live closer to His will. He forgives and we grow closer.

If I recognize a fault, in myself or another, - and then have the presence of mind to stop and say 'I forgive...' or 'God forgive me...' or ask someone else to forgive me - then that says one thing but just like a snapshot. It's gone in a instant. But if my way of life is forgiving, then maybe I don't have to stop to recognize a fault at all. Maybe I can accept my sins and the faults in others as life the way God created it.

It's like the reason God gave us rules to live by in the first place. They are not given to limit us but rather to show us His will and so we can know when we are outside of it.

He is in control. He is the judge. I must forgive others because it's God's way. If I can't ask for forgiveness or render it to others then I am outside of His will. Hey! That would be a sin and I'd have to ask for forgiveness. HA!

• 1 year later...

I don't know about anyone else, but I am a sinner.  I ask for forgiveness daily.  It cleanses my soul to pour out what I have done and ask Our Father to forgive me.  I feel better, like a load has been lifted from my shoulders.  If we do not forgive another, God can not forgive me.  God is love. God loves us enough to forgive.  We must forgive and pray to try to forgive another.  This not forgiving another keeps God from forgiving us.  Love your enemies...this too is forgiveness.

• 1 year later...

To be an obedient disciple of Jesus, I must continually ask for forgiveness because I still sin, both consciously and unconsciously.  I must admit my sin, and then turn away from it, knowing that I am forgiven by God.  If I do not forgive, God will not forgive me.  Unforgiveness blocks God's blessing because we won't let go of the grudge so we can receive God's blessing.  We become trapped in resentment. Releasing the unforgiveness  opens us up so that we have the capacity to receive His forgiveness and blessing.

• 1 month later...

It is a daily event.  Things happen and you don't want unforgiveness to harbor in your heart.  He will not respond or answer us.  God is love and we must love also.  He forgave those who crucified him.  In loving and forgiving, we  may win them to Christ so heaven will become their eternal home.

• 2 months later...

Why should we continually ask forgiveness? Forgiveness is not based on the actions of others but instead on our own attitude. People will tend to hurt us throughout life. We can look outward at them, stay disgruntled and angry, or we can forgive them and keep our minds focused on our loving relationship with God, knowing and trusting that He will work things out for our good. Forgiveness is giving God the opportunity to exact His justice.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? Unforgiveness is basically the absence of love. Jesus came to show us the Father's love. If that was Jesus' main objective, then what should ours be? "Whatever you do to the least of these my brethren, you do it unto me." (Matthew 25:40) If we don't forgive others, what does that say about our relationship with God? Jeremiah 5:25 says, “Your iniquities have turned these things away, And your sins have withheld good from you.”

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness? As the pattern prayer in our lesson states, "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matt.6:14-15)

• 2 weeks later...

We are constantly making mistakes. We need God to pardon us of our most current sins. We are sinful by nature and we need the grace of God to help us daily. We need the grace of God to teach us how to forgive others. We can not life our lives by holding grudges and being hateful to our fellow men. We need to let go of this negativity inside of us. We must have the grace of God to allow the pain from others to dissolve in us. we need to be able to forgive just as Jesus was able to forgive those that hurt him.

• 1 month later...

We must continually ask forgiveness because we have usually sinned. We do consciously and unconsciously. I know that there isn’t a day that I haven’t sinned. But if we don’t forgive others their minor sins then God can’t forgive us our major sins. Usually if a person has sinned against you then they have probably sinned against God so we must forgive them. If we have not forgiven them, then it is always on our conscious and therefore block God’s forgiveness.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Cause of our sin, we need to ask for forgiveness.

God forgave us we need to forgive to receive God's Blessing.

How can God forgive us if we first don't forgive.