JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Serving God or Money

Q4. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Jesus means it when He says we can't serve money and Him at the same time. We will always be pulled in one direction more than the other and if we focus on gaining money, we lose focus on Him

Wealthy people can and do serve God and many givce generously to the work of the Lord. They have their priorities right

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

I believe that rich people can be saved and work for God like us poor people. At the same time, I believe that rich people have more responsibility for spending time and money on getting the Word to the needy, and feeding the poor, and getting them what they need. If you have more, then you need to do more. Love for money will cause some people to forget God. They think they don't need God. They have it all. They can take care of themselves. But they can't see that they are poor, blind, naked, ect., like the church in the Book of Revelation. They are greedy.

We just need to remember that all we are and all we have comes from God Almighty. He gives us the ability to get what we have, and we have nothing and are nothing without Him. If we keep it all in the proper perspective, then we can conduct our financial affairs-and all our lives, in a way that will glorify God. That is the bottom line, isn't it? Is what we're doing glorifying God, and helping to advance His Kindom? Gloray!

• 6 months later...

I think he meant it literal. You can not serve God and money at the same time. He wants to know where our heart is. Put God first and he will supply all your needs. He will give you blessings that you cannot contain. Yes, wealthy people can serve God because they have their priories in line.

You can be wealthy and serve God. You have to see who made wealthy. If you are relying on self for your wealth then you do not seek God. But if you realize God allowed you to be wealthy and use your wealth as he intended then you are seeking God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:24)

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?Jesus emphatically states that a servant cannot serve two masters at the same time. It is a fact of nature; our hearts and duty will be divided and fail altogether in our duty to one or the other. One we will hate and the other we will love. The choice is ours, we either put God first rejecting the rule of materialism or we live for temporal things and put God aside. Jesus said in Matt 22:37: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with your entire mind.' Matt 22:37 (NIV). We are also told not to love the world (1 John 2:15-17): Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful man, the **** of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. Wealthy people can serve God by storing up treasures for themselves in heaven

• 1 month later...

no, not at all. jesus never separates the two. he is warning us that whatever gets your attention will eventually get you. it takes us away from heavenly things and drowns us with earthly matters. rich people will have a harder time serving. they have much to give up. look at the rich man in luke 12, that jesus calls a fool. what was his dilemma? it was being so rich he didn't know what to do with it all. sadly, he never asks god what to do with it, or even offers it back to god, and in the end it controlled him. he used it for himself.

• 4 months later...

He is saying that you can't serve money and God at the same time. Sometimes the work of God requires lots of money to do it, and there are people who are gifted with the ability to make that money and give it to God. The difference is in your heart. If you seek money for yourself to feel independent of God and self-sufficient, then it is greed and the love of money that you serve.

Yes, clearly some rich people serve God and not money. However, it is very hard, if not impossible, for most of them to overcome greed and the love of their money and things. As Jesus said: "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

• 4 months later...

Jesus does not say that you can't HAVE both money and God but that you can't SERVE both money and God.

It is okay to be rich - if people use their money to help other people.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact? I think that he means it literally. You cannot seek wealth and God. That doesn't mean that you can't have wealth and serve God but it isn't possibly to actively seek wealth and God at the same time. One will always come first.

Remembering that we are human, we can say that it is possible to be wealthy and to put God first in our hearts. There is the issue of tithing, which is such case means giving more to the poor and those who are needy. If our wealth grows slowly and we put God first, it doesn't seem that it is growing, just that he is giving us something to be responsible for. Then we need to keep our eyes open to help those who need it and not to take over their debts, but to be wise in how we'd help them. When out www.hightechministries.org you'll find Oct 8,2010 is the 19th prayer breakfast . The speaker will be a very rich christian businessman. The purpose of the breakfast is to bring workers to know Jesus. If you read this before the date of the breakfast, perhaps you'll pray that the invited guests will all come to know Jesus. Then we can see business moneey going to server God which is not even part of tithing at church.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus makes is clear that we cannot serve two masters: God and money. We can seek wealth as long as our heart is right with God. God must be our master at all times, not money. Wealth cannot be allowed to rule our life. If it is beginning to do so, we must refocus and put God first. We need to know what our relationship with wealth is. If we know we are going to use it to further God's work on Earth, then it's okay to pursue it. Many television ministries pull in a lot of money, yet they appear to use it to help everyone they can, which is what God wants. The key is to not let wealth be the main goal in our life. We still must put God first, others second and ourselves last.

• 2 weeks later...

Verses 6:24-32 are summed up in 33 and 34 when the Lord commands us to seek first the kingdom of God "and all these things will be added to you". If we are faithful to obey him we will not be in need; He is faithful to provide. This doesn't mean a life of poverty for all believers but requires a life of faithful service regardless of circumstances. I do think it is literal. Seeking wealth for wealth's sake will cause stumbling in your faith. Seeking the Lord's will in your life will bring financial blessing because it should cause you to be a hard worker knowing the fruit of your labor is a witness to the Lord. In addition, knowing what God thinks about debt should cause you to agressively eliminate it if you have it. Without debt think of all the money saved by not paying interest! Knowing the Lord will provide all your needs and trusting that makes it easier to be content with what you have rather than seeking empty material desires. Often seeking wealth as defined by the world leads to so many more curses than blessings such as more time spent working to cover the purchases made outside one's means or being a "workaholic" to attain early retirement and then dying from stress related heart disease.( Reminds me of the song "Cat's in the Cradle". Serving God brings great peace in knowing it is enough. Being wealthy can be a natural outcome of serving God because it causes you to NOT value the material things, NOT take on debt, and work hard at earning which is rewarded with income. So wealthy people can serve God and do because often they attained their wealth through serving Him first. And for those who came to the Lord after having attained wea;th it is also possible. I think Jesus' point is the heart; and a heart cannot serve two masters: Serving God could bring you closer to money but serving money will not bring you closer to God.

• 1 year later...

The love of money is only the root of all kinds of evil if it precedes the love of God. The problem with wealth is oftentimes it distorts ones priorities. Jesus means this in the sense that one must always have a clear priority. I do believe wealthy people can serve God, I believe Jesus warns us many times in scripture about the possibilities of being trapped by wealth and losing ones way spiritually. Wealth can sometimes distort ones heart and motives and Jesus uses hyperbole, literal and figurative speech to make sure His disciples get the point. Jesus goes to every end, to make sure we understand the dangers of wealth. He does not say it is a sin to be wealthy, He does say it is a sin to put wealth before God, and that one can easily be trapped into believing money in more powerful than God and it is extremely important to guard our heart from this happening . It is a heart issue. One cannot serve two masters! God must always come first!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:24)

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this?

He does not really mean that.

Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal?

It is literal. It is a fact that, several wealth people do not care about God; they see their wealth as their everything; their only hope and survival.

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Yes, wealth people can in actual fact serve God if they don't depend or place their hope on their wealth and forget about God.

• 1 year later...

Jesus said that if man stores up wealth for himself but is not rich toward God he would enter eternity empty handed.  This means there is nothing wrong with having money as long as it was earned honestly and not "worshipped" or does not come before God.  Wealthy people can be Christians and serve God.  They donate money to the poor and help in many ways.  They use their money to further the Kingdom.

• 1 year later...

I think the key is the verb Jesus used in this verse:  SERVE.  When we serve something, it takes preiminence in our life and the rest of our day revolves around what and who we serve and work for.  Who has first place in my life?  God or the pursuit of money?  What is my main focus?  That determines who I serve for I cannot revolve my life around both.  That is why Jesus said I cannot serve both God and money (mammon) in Matthew 6:24. Wealthy people must realize that God has provided not only for their needs, but also extra for their enjoyment (1 Timothey 6:17). This is an even harder test:  to praise God for abundance, but to not make the abundance an idol. In addition, God requires the wealthy to be a good steward in saving, sharing and using the abundant resource God has given them.  We need to be content when the abundance increases or decreases. To not let our character and spiritual life be sullied by a change in finances (for the better or worse). To me, that is an even greater spritual challenge. Godliness wtih contentment is great gain!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, He said "Seek first the kingdom of God".  I think wealth would be added.  

It is not hyperbole, Jesus dealt with serving where one's energies and time is consumed with doing things for money.

His statement is literal, you cannot serve God and Money because they conflict, one is spiritual the other is idolatry.

Jesus said that with Him all things are possible, meaning a wealthy person can serve God.  The Bible also says "it is God who gives you power to get wealth".  

• 3 months later...

I do believe that a person cannot serve God and money at the same time. A person that is intent on making money will work toward making money. They will lose sight of everything that is important in their lives. They will spend every precious moment worrying about stock market reports. The government rules, legislation and other things that will influence their financial growth. Their lives will be spent around money. they will eat, sleep and talk money. They tend to brag about savings account balances and other sums of money.

However, I have seen recently where the wealthy in this country have started to wake up to the fact that money is not everything and have really started to share what they have with others. And yes, they have stopped worshipping money and have opened their hearts, minds and souls to God and the people around them.

• 1 month later...

I don’t think that Jesus is saying that we can’t seek wealth and God simultaneously. He is saying that if we start to trust in our money then it will be our God. But if we are generous with the money that He has entrusted to us and put God first then we can seek both. Wealthy people can serve God if they choose to.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God is not against people having wealth, or working to attain money. I think what he is saying is to not become consumed with making money  that you never  seek God everyday and worship and Thank him. 

Yes wealthy people can serve God, if you always put God first you'll never be last.

• 2 years later...

Jesus makes it sound like you cannot seek God and wealth simultaneously.

Does He really mean this?

Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? 

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

I do feel it is literal. The verse refers to 'serving' two masters. You cannot serve two masters who are so totally opposed to each other.

Mammon is materialism and worldly gain.

Depending on money means not depending on God.

Wealthy people can serve God, if they handle their wealth in such a way as to show that GOD and not money/wealth is their treasure. They share and are givers ... they are content with what they have and do not feverishly desire more.  

Yes, the desire for money can **** a person.

I remember years ago when teaching little ones Sunday School, finding a lovely picture of a camel loaded with things and trying to go through a narrow opening. Shoving and pulling helped nothing. Only when at last everything was unloaded from the camel (even the hat to keep him burning from the sun) could he go through the opening. The beautiful 'smile' on the camel's face when everything was off and he could freely go through the opening, has remained with me.

I guess when 'money has you' it is very much like that. You are damned to remain bound and not free, as Jesus would have you be.