JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Judging with Censoriousness

Q1. (Matthew 7:1) Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces? What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness? How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment? Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing?

I think in my Christian life I may have fallen pray to this practice. It is a question of being self righteous and this drives us to be excessively critical of others. I suppose that Projectionism comes when we want to escape from our own faults. What we condemn others about may be due to the fact that we practise exactly the same. Christians must show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing because we may not be any better than them. We need to help one another because the next day it might be our turn to fail.

Q1. (Matthew 7:1) Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces? What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness? How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment? Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing?

Yes, I have ever, even often, caught myself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs.

The attitude that underlies censoriousness is that of worry or anxiety

The psychological concept of "projection" allows us to externalize of somebody

I hate to admit it but there have been times when I have criticized another Christian behind their backs or talk about someone elses faults with other believers. This is an area of my life that God has been dealing with me about.

The attitude that underlines censoriousness is projection. Often one will attributes one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people in order to shift blame,guilt, or responsibility.

The psychological concept of "projection" can motivate harsh judgment by putting the worst possible

condemnation upon an act.

Christians must show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing because we are all sinners.

There is a saying that says "There but by the grace of God go I." It is only by God's mercy that we don't find ourselves falling into a sin that may have overtaken a weaker Christian.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:1) Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces?

Yes, I have criticized other Christians behind their backs, for which I've repented.

What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness?

The attitude that underlies "censoriousness," is basically pride. The person has set him/herself up above the other person and finds fault in the worst way, not to be constructive but to condemn.

How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment?

The psychological concept of "projection" motivates harsh judgment as one sees his faults in others and n so doing he is affirming self-condemnation and self-loathing.

Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing?

As Christians we must show a failing brother or sister love because it in in these times that they need to be shown love. When they are shown love they are apt to be receptive of what God has given us to say to them which can lead to their repentance and restoration.

• 1 month later...

I believe that humanity doesn't like to be criticized. We get all upity and offended when someone else tells us that we are wrong. I have criticized other Christians for various things, and have had to repent A brother or sister in Christ should be corrected with love from someone who has repented of their own sins, and has asked to be forgiven. I have witnessed churches falling apart because of criticism toward the pastor and/or his wife. When we fail to look at ourselves before we approach others, we bring condemnation on ourselves, and Christ, because we are not living up to the standards that we claim to uphold.

• 2 months later...

Finding fault in others underlies censoriousness. By projecting our anxieties onto other people, we are projecting our issues to them, thereby judging them for something of which we may find ourselves at fault. We must show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing because we have all fallen short of the glory of God and only through love can we bring ourselves and others back up.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to say, yes I have. Praise God for the Holy Spirit that will check us and correct us when we do other people wrong. The Lord has taught me so much about other people's feeling's. He has filled me with a compassion for people. His compassion. I think the attitude we have is the world's attitude. It is the wrong attitude. It is a selfish attitude. The projection that we see from a person is that they are hurting, searching for something they don't have, answer to their problems, that the world can't fix. We cannot judge people by that projection. No more than we would want to be judged by ours, because we are no different. We must show love because it is what Christ would do. If we are his children, then we do the same. A person that is failing, is already knocked down by the devil. We are to lift them up, encourage them, speak God's word to them, show them God's compassion. Hurt when they hurt, laugh when they laugh. Let them know that they are not alone, we are there to lend an ear, support, and must of all. that God has not forsaken them. Look on the inside, their heart, not on the outside, the flesh.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:1)

Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs - or to their faces? What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness? How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment? Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing?

Yes, I have and I

• 5 months later...

Yes, unfortunately. Mostly within my own mind, but I am still not proud of such behavior.

I think a lot of times it can be unfounded pride in oneself. We think we see someone doing what they shouldn't or not doing what they should and find it hard to resist comparing their actions to our own. Before we do compare people in such a way we should be very careful to examine our own lives to make sure that we don't have worse problems ourselves. It may also be that their behavior hits too close to home for comfort. We may see the same problem in ourselves and become overcritical of it in someone else because of our own failings.

As mentioned above, our own lack of victory over certain sins may cause us to be more critical of others in the same boat than we should be.

One very good reason is that you may find yourself in need of the same loving care in the face of failure. If you have been overly harsh or quick to crticize, or if you have been understanding and loving, there is a very good chance you will receive the same type of treatment should the roles be reversed.

• 3 months later...

Me to, guilty as charged.

We critize other people most about what we know to be wrong in ourselves.

Many times, this is because to distract the attention away from ourselves.

If we see some of our bad things in other persons, we use to project also other bad things.

We have to show love because we also make mistakes.

Think about Jesus on the cross - many Jews mocked Him but a friendly Roman gave Him to drink.

In our own lifes: do we want people to help us or to mock us?

Think about Jesus in Matthew 25 - what we do for other people, we have done for Him.

• 9 months later...

No, I don't think that I have. I am just so aware of my many failings as a Christian, that I could never think of critisising another Christian. So, although my failings are many, being critical of other Christians isn't one of them. I can see though how it could be something which is so easy to slip into, but it is important that we don't. As Christians, we are all part of one body and if the body turns on itself, as with a cancer, the results can be disasterous.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have, and I feel awful afterward for saying things about them to others. However, I understand why I do it. It's because I lack the courage to address them to their faces since I had been physically abused for several years for voicing my opinion on simple things let alone serious ones. Of course, I know my talking about them behind their backs isn't right. Depending on the situation, I've criticized them either because they have hurt me or they are not acting as Christians as stated in God's word. We must show Christians love when they are wrong because God loves us and tells us to love one another. Therefore, we are to gently correct them about their errant ways. However, when they don't listen, we should continue to pray for them and give them over to God.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:1) Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces?

I know I am a pretty black/white personality and that can seem harsh to some. As far as severely criticizing...I know I have been guilty of not really trying to put myself in another's shoes and what possibilities I may not see affecting their thought process. Recently though I have had the blessing of counseling my daughter about a friendship of hers and some issues she was having. This other little girl was behaving in a very manipulative manner...even her mom admits it. I so badly wanted to tell my daughter "you know you don't need this friendship, move on" but I thought I heard the Lord say to me "I don't need yours either but I can see you becoming like me" And I thought this little girl is in a process just like me. She is being shaped and molded by the Lord. Sometimes we are part of the process and the Lord uses us to help Him. We need to look at our brothers and sisters in Christ as a work in progress and believe the best. They will grow and mature, as we are, and the same patience we desire we need to extend. So I told my daughter that she needs to be stronger about resisting her friend's manipulations but she only needs to assert her wants and not be swayed to do thigs that are against her will. She can be a friend with out being forced to wear her hair the way this girl wants it(etc.) and can maintain their friendship as she defines boundries and believes in the best of this other girl. This is how lifetime relationships are born. This is family!

Our Lord's patience with us is why we must show love in the face of our brother's or sister's failings

I know I am a pretty black/white personality and that can seem harsh to some. As far as severely criticizing...I know I have been guilty of not really trying to put myself in another's shoes and what possibilities I may not see affecting their thought process. Recently though I have had the blessing of counseling my daughter about a friendship of hers and some issues she was having. This other little girl was behaving in a very manipulative manner...even her mom admits it. I so badly wanted to tell my daughter "you know you don't need this friendship, move on" but I thought I heard the Lord say to me "I don't need yours either but I can see you becoming like me" And I thought this little girl is in a process just like me. She is being shaped and molded by the Lord. Sometimes we are part of the process and the Lord uses us to help Him. We need to look at our brothers and sisters in Christ as a work in progress and believe the best. They will grow and mature, as we are, and the same patience we desire we need to extend. So I told my daughter that she needs to be stronger about resisting her friend's manipulations but she only needs to assert her wants and not be swayed to do thigs that are against her will. She can be a friend with out being forced to wear her hair the way this girl wants it(etc.) and can maintain their friendship as she defines boundries and believes in the best of this other girl. This is how lifetime relationships are born. This is family!

Our Lord's patience with us is why we must show love in the face of our brother's or sister's failings

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:1) Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces? Yes, oftentimes I have been guilty of this, to be totally truthful in my heart I can still be judgmental of others at times.That being said, I believe God is perfecting me, His Holy Spirit is directing me more toward love and understanding than judgement. In my Christian walk I have become more and more aware of how wrong and destructive judging others is. God is showing me in many ways that harsh judgements can really be hurtful and very destructive to others and to myself as well. It is a sin. I must TRULY look at myself, examine myself( look at the woman in the mirror, truly and deeply search my own soul) first before being able to discern (discernment is different than judgement) good and bad in another person. What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness? It is a judgement against others for no valid reason, someone who is constantly picking others apart without realizing their own faults. Oftentimes it is an inward expression of hate or judgement toward oneself which cause them to be judgmental of others. How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment? When we are projecting we are actually condemning others for that which we ourselves are guilty. It is an outward expression of judgement towards other, but in actuality we are judging our own behaviors. Why should Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing? First,and most importantly, love and forgiveness are two very important Christian attributes ( gifts of the Holy Spirit) which makes us brothers and sister, we are to love one another. WE ARE FAMILY! We cannot look at others behavior without looking at our own behavior first. It is possible to be discerning. But, never judgmental, we are to always help our Christian brothers and sisters without judgement. We all have our faults and we can all make mistakes. We are all sinners. God is the only perfect one, and the only one who can make the final judgement. Do not place ourselves above the Lord. God is the judge of all mankind.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:1)

Have you ever caught yourself severely criticizing others Christians behind their backs -- or to their faces?

Yes. I have in several occasions caught criticising other Christians behind their back and others to their faces.

What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness?

The attitude that underlies censoriousness is looking for fault, blaming, putting the worst possible construction upon an act, condemning sternly.

How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgment?

The psychological concept off "projections" can motivate harsh judgment by attributing one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects; especially, the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety.

Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing?

Christians must shoe love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing because they are supposed to treat others as they want to be treated themselves. Further, Jesus teaches us not to judge others so tha we are not judged.

• 1 year later...

I think we all have caught ourselves criticizing others.  I tend to be a little over weight.  If I see a very slender person my first thought is she is too skinny.  Maybe like me she is having weight issues.  Mine is medication, maybe she is trying to gain.  We should be tolerant.  We do not walk in their shoes.  I think the faultfinding is because I wish I was slender again.  God made me the way I am for a reason.  The underlying thought would be jealousy.  We all I think sometimes have the "I wishes".  We wish we had something someone else has.  No one is perfect.  we all fall short.  Talking to one about a failing must be done gently.  We too have done wrong.  We will be judge by the same standard.  I always try to talk to another in any circumstance like I would want to be talked to.  Everyone has feelings.

• 1 year later...

Criticizing other Christians, especially in leadership positions, is very easy. Often we would rather find fault in others than in ourselves.  We don't want to deal with our own sins, but would rather focus our attention on other people's deficits.  It makes us feel better about ourselves.  With the concept of projection, we condemn those who struggle with the sins we ourselves struggle wtih.  When a brother or sister in Christ fails, we must show them love.  Christ died for sinners, and we all struggle with sin.  As Christ has forgiven us repeatedly, we must forgive others, remembering our own weaknesses.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, yes.  The underlying attitude is judgmental.  It is what one sees in another person that causes them to be harsh.  Christians must show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failing because it can happen to you.  You would want others to be merciful to you.  We are all striving to be like Christ.

• 3 months later...

I find that I am critical of the members of my congregation. The consistory members to me seem to be the worst Christians in the church. I now view them on their actions as Christian leaders. I do see the faults with them now that Christ has come into my heart. He has taken the blinders off. I do not project my faults onto them. Because I understand that would be over criticizing them for my behavior. I find that I try to help them by explaining and talking about the bible. But they refuse to listen to reason. They seem to have their own version of the bible. They follow their own ideas and beliefs.

• 5 weeks later...

I have caught myself severely criticizing other Christians behind their backs but mostly in my mind. The attitude that underlined by censoriousness was the legalistic teaching that I had at the time. If the other person wasn’t doing what I thought they should be doing then they were sinning. We Christians must show live in the face of our brother’s or sister’s failing because more than likely they know that they are failing and they deed our support to help them recover.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Unfortunately I have, but at the moment i realized what I was doing I stoped   repented and asked for forgiveness.

Jealousy 

That's what Jesus taught us, to show love and compassion.

• 2 years later...

1.1 Have you caught yourself severely critisizing other Christians behind their backs - or to their faces?

Yes, unfortunately. Sooner in my mind tham verbally and invariably the same problem that was criticized or looked on with disdain, was later found in my own life. Now when I see something, I tend to pray about it sooner than criticize about it.

1.2 What is the attitude that underlies censoriousness? 

I guess worry or anxiety that that same or similar defect or sin prevalent in my life or character will come to the fore before long.

1.3 How can the psychological concept of "projection" motivate harsh judgement?

Our judgemental attitude may reflect our own sin more that our bothers' sin, so in condemning him we are affirming our own self-condemnation and self-loathing.

1.4 Why must Christians show love in the face of a brother's or sister's failings?

Love (not compromise) and not condemnation can win a person back and restore them on the right path after repentance. Love can bring about repentance. (sometimes I guess it is tough love)