JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. A Faithful, Loving Father We Can Trust

Q3. (Matthew 7:9-11).

What do these verses teach us about God's relationship to us? What do they teach about God's characteristic response toward us? How does this differ from a cynical view of God? Why is a positive understanding of God important to be able to pray with faith?

We know that He is our heavenly Father and cares for us and will only do good things to us. We also know that we can fully trust Him in all things, and therefore we can pray with confidence being assured of His love for us.

• 5 months later...
Q3. (Matthew 7:9-11). What do these verses teach us about God's relationship to us? What do they teach about God's characteristic response toward us? How does this differ from a cynical view of God? Why is a positive understanding of God important to be able to pray with faith?

They teach that God wants to give us good things, great blessings. If we recognize how much we, as imperfect, human parents want good things for our children, then how much more so for God, who is the father of all and the one from whom all goodness comes?

More cynical views of God would probably say that He is cruel, or that He expects too much from us, or that He gives terrible punishments for diobedience. These things are not focused on the great love He has for us, the personal love relationship He invites us each into with Him.

It is only in a relationship based on His perfect love that we can have the right kind of faith for our trust in Him to be perfected.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Matthew 7:9-11). What do these verses teach us about God's relationship to us? What do they teach about God's characteristic response toward us? How does this differ from a cynical view of God? Why is a positive understanding of God important to be able to pray with faith?

God is our father.

He wants the very best for us.

I must confess I have a cynical view: if you look to this world, it looks like Satan has won!

The Bible assures us that Jesus has won.

If we don't believe that, we can't pray with faith.

What use would it be?

In the John-studies, one of our forum-friends made me realize that I'm to focused on the desillusions of this world.

Somebody else recommended me a book about this problem.

Maybe I will understand better when I've finished it.

• 10 months later...

We see that we'll get good things from God, always. We may have false values and not understand why what we get is "good for us" We'll be continually tested by God to help us "get better."

When jesus said "be perfect" he expects us to try and to ask him to help us. Even if we fall short, we try and then we learn, and we get closer to what he wantrs. Slowly we learn what is "more right by God" and not what we thought was right.

He is so good in rewarding us, it is amazing, and what he sees coming and how he knows what we'll choose, it is also amazing that he does this all the time with billions of people.

With him running trhe show, its best to "TRUST and OBEY" there is no other way that makes sense when we think about it. Praise our loving God!

• 1 month later...

These verses teach us about God's love for us in comparison to a parent's love for their child. Since God is Holy His love is far superior and rightly demonstrated than ours can be becausde of our sinfulness. This differs from a cynical view of God's love in that it doesn't show Him as one who is unloving or uncaring or harsh discipline. It is important to have this understanding to develope trust in God and His will for us.

• 1 year later...

3a)God loves us, he wants the best for us&cares for us, we are special to him and chosen by him,his people on earth.

B)God is always faithful to his pormises,never fails us.We need not be afraid but can totally trust him in faith to answer wisely.

C)God is blamed for the wars&other bad things that happen in the world.People are then fearful of God,and don’t seek him.

D)If we don’t acknowledge all the good ways God provides for us we approach God with wrong attitude,don’t believe he is for us and are fearful of the future.Seeing answers by God’s provision to us builds our faith,trust and our ability to depend on Jesus and his love for us..

• 2 months later...

God is our Supreme Father, He would never do anything to hurt us. If our parents on earth will care for us, how much more will God the Father of all creation, care for His Children?? We must trust Him with wild abandonment, come to Him as little children, anticipating always that He will take care of us. A person with great faith has God living in them. His Holy Spirit is always present. Our faith is the only thing which can never, ever be taken from us. Since God is for us, who can be against us?? This a called FAITH!

P.U.S.H

P-Pray

U. Until

S. Something

H. Happens

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 7:9-11).

What do these verses teach us about God's relationship to us?

These verses teach us that, God is our loving Father.

What do they teach about God's characteristic response toward us?

They teach us that, God will not give us somthing useless, bad from what we ask; He will just give us something good.

How does this differ from a cynical view of God?

This proves wrong the cynical view of God.

Why is a positive understanding of God important to be able to pray with faith?

A positive understanding of God is important to be able to pray with faith because we will know without doubts that, when we ask, He will give us what is good for us.

• 1 year later...

In these verses Christ is showing us the very heart of God.  God isn't selfish, we do not have to beg or grovel as we come with our requests.  We come in faith.  Faith that He will give us what we ask for.  I always look at it like this; I will ask and continue to ask.  Sometimes He gives me what I ask for in different ways.  He may decide I do not need what I have ask for and He will replace it with something else and I will realize it.  He knows what is best.  As for the cancer I am praying constantly for healing.  It may be healing and the cancer goes into remission, it goes away, or God takes him home.  He is healed.  I have faith he knows what is best.  One must believe God will do His best for us.  We must learn to ask what is good for us and accept.  God loves us more that our parents and that sometimes is hard to believe as much as I love my children.  But God loves us so much....He wants what is best for us.  As we learn to ask for what is good for us and God answers we feel His kindness and love.  We can tell Him anything and ask Him anything because He knows anyway.  He just wants us to ask.  It is a learning experience for us. 

• 1 year later...

These verses show us how God views His children:  with love, care and the desire for only the best for us. He won't give us something evil, but only what is good for us.  Thus, we do not need to fear praying to Him for our needs. We can trust His intentions and responses.  When we pray in trust, we can pray in simple, childlike faith.

• 3 weeks later...

He loves us, so He will give us of good things when we ask him.  He is not an evil God.  A positive understanding of God is important to be able to pray with faith shows we trust him as he knows what is for our good.  

• 3 months later...

What do these verses teach us about God's relationship to us? I believe they point out that God is the ultimate Father, He will only give us what is best for us. His omniscience enables Him to know unequivocally the absolute most propitious answer to our request, and He will give it with judicious timing.

What do they teach about God's characteristic response toward us? We can trust God to give us an answer that is relevant and personalized for us by our Creator Himself… our Father who art in heaven. We can be assured that God will work it out for good, it is His nature.

How does this differ from a cynical view of God? Cynicism is defined as people who think others are generally selfish, dishonest, and not trustworthy. Therefore I guess they would be suspicious of God’s very nature of love, grace, and compassion. Faith would be a concept that would be beyond their comprehension.

Why is a positive understanding of God important to be able to pray with faith?  To me, the greatest example of praying with faith, in all of Scripture, is in the Garden of Gethsemane when our Lord says: “And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto Thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what Thou wilt”. (Mark 14:36). That’s faith, knowing fully what was ahead for Him yet glorifying God by submitting to His purpose. This is an excellent example for us to follow, we are to make our desires known to God and remember that above all His Will be done. Then bringing Him the glory for His answer.

• 3 weeks later...

God is a very caring person that will give us what we need. He will not try to trick us or cause us any harm by our requests. God will treat us like his children. Sometimes, he will have to say no to us. Other times, we will have to wait until the time is right for our request to be answered. God does not want to harm us in any way, but just like with children, we need to learn a lesson the hard way. We need to know God just like we knew our own parents. We need to have the faith in God that we had in our own biological parents or those people that raised us as little children.

• 1 month later...

These verses teach us that God loves us very much. He loves us more than we could ever love our children. We are children of God and when we ask him for something we will get an answer and it will be in our best interest. If we understand that God has our back then we have the most powerful force in the universe with us.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

That he is a Father that listens to us and hears us.

That God loves his children very much and will give them what they need.

We must have faith, the opposite of of faith is fear, faith pleases God.

• 2 years later...

God is a loving Father and knows what is best for us.

God gives good gifts to us which are not always "wrapped" as we desire but as He sees is for our good. We can and should trust Him explicitly and not be afraid to ask Him, not my will but Thine be done then also give Him the glory.

The cynical view would be that He does not care about our desirrs and needs, which is totally false. It is not He that is causing all the wars and bad stuff to happen in the world around us. These are (as a consequence of) because of sins (could be past or present).

A positive understanding of God is important because otherwise we are too scared to ask Him anything, just in case something negative happens.