JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. By their Fruit

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

There are many things that are bad fruit and can expose someone who might lead people astray. One of the biggest things to watch out for is people who might be more interested in their own status than in doing the work of the Kingdom. When people seem to be thinking more about being in charge of things or trying to lead the church in a direction that seems contrary to Scripture or the leading of the Holy Spirit, that is the kind of fruit that shows that they are going astray and trying to take others with them. Galatians 5:22-23 lists these things as fruit of the Spirit: "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Anything that is contrary to these things might be considered bad fruit. Some examples might be unforgiveness, gossip, fault-finding, envy, or intemperate speech.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20) Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

Jeremia vs. Chananja (Jer. 28):

False prophets just say what the people want to hear.

We know that they lie when their prophecies don't come true.

Bileam (Numeri 22-24):

Some false prophets truly talk with God.

Sometimes they just don't listen or try to make money out of it.

If prophets claim to be the only one who know about Jesus' return, they lie.

Jesus has no secrets that only some people are allowed to know.

If prophets say something in the spirit of the antichrist, they lie - like denying He came in the flesh and things like that.

If prophets do something that is not according to His will, they lie.

Lately, in my country there was a referent who accepted tithes and took it with him to Africa.

A referent who steals must be a false prophet.

A long time ago, there was a man who claimed to be divine and immortal.

Many women slept with him but some day he died.

So he both did something evil + his prophecy (about not dying) didn't become true.

• 10 months later...

It was revealed to my just now that a man I took to church yesterday was a false prophet. He would/will say that the bible is riddled with lies because the different gospel books don't 100% match up with the same story. He refused to go to church. But he came last night, then in a moment felt offended and had to leave for awhile. Later at my home when I started to pray over our meal, he intercepted me to "correct me," and in a moment he was swearing foul words. This time I didn't take the bate. God is calling me to be used to heal this man, from the hurt during or after the Vietnam war something in him was badly broken. So please pray for Carmelo, if you read this, and let God's will be done in Him. May God heal him or simply use him as God sees fit. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen

• 1 year later...

2a)Kind of fruit of false prophet is Bad fruit consisting of i/strange or disruptive teachings causing division ii/dominant character flaws iii/hypocritical actions &attitudes,inappropriate of a Christian leader,leading people in church away from God’s will for people &church.

Need to look at the character behind the person to see whether their actions match up to what they are preaching.

If their teachings minimise Christ and glorify themselves instead, motivated by money, fame or power, instead ofactions of love,peace, gentleness,joy,kindness,goodness &self-control

• 1 month later...

Clues may be apparent in a person's whose faith has become distorted by teachings outside Christianity. It may become apparent through character traits such as hate, resentments, failure to forgive, not being able to give of oneself, having no compassion. There are way to many bad character traits to mention here .That being said, it is very important for us, as Christians to be able discern bad character traits "bad fruits" in ourselves and others.The only way you can do this, is by relying on the teaching and promptings of The Holy Spirit.

Through the Holy Spirit we will learn to evaluate ones' "bad fruits" and "good fruits"by looking at character, plus behavior traits such as not obeying or heeding God's command, killing, stealing, drinking and carousing, sexual immorality and so forth. We must look for all these traits, not only in others, we must often take a look at our own character, so that we will continue to do God's will. I call it 'taking stock'. It is another way of saying, look, and take responsibility, be accountable for what you see, and then let God do His will. If you see "bad fruit" in another person, trust in God to give you the gift of discernment. If there is a possibility that this person will pull you 'down', or if you, through teaching and discipleship can help this person. Always pray for a person who has fallen off the path of righteousness and do not condemn. But, be aware of their actions, and put on the full armor of God to protect you from evildoers.

One verse that I say everyday to remind myself, to keep a better perspective of how easily we can become distracted by worldly "values" is Romans 12:2(NIV)

2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I believe we must continually renew our minds so that we can see ourselves and other's in full light. Evaluate our character as well as the character of others according to the will of God.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Matthew 7:15-20)

Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

Kinds of "fruit" that might be clues to a false prophet are:

• Strange or somewhat perverted teachings.
  • Dominant character flaws.
  • Actions and attitudes that don't conform to what you expect of a Christian leader.

• 1 year later...

A false prophet will eventually betray himself.  If you are the real McCoy you live your life the way Jesus taught.  You do did in public and in private.  If you are saying one thing and doing another you will get caught.  What is on the inside in some unprotected moment will come out.  You cannot hide deceit long. A false prophet will tell you what you want to hear. They will sound religious but be motivated by money.  They cannot hide long.  Their teachings will minimize Christ and glorify themselves.

• 1 year later...

Some fruit that can be clues to a false prophet are:  immoral lifestyle; false, twisted teaching; selfishness; self-promotion; controlling; unteachable and unapproachable; greedy; unaccountable.  Sometimes spiritual discernment is needed because some truth that the false prophet speaks is deceptively mixed with error.  Also, all disciples need to take heed to themselves, for anyone of us can become a false prophet if we get too puffed up in our spirituality or ministry position.  Pride can creep in and corrupt the good fruit.  We need to keep humble before the Lord, and constantly letting God's Word show us when we stray (Hebrews 4:11,12).

• 3 weeks later...

The fruits of a false prophet are strange and perverted teachings; dominant character flaws; and actions and attitudes that don't represent a godly leader.

• 2 months later...

Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet? I would think the greatest test of a false prophet is his/her teaching. Does it line up with the consistent teaching of the Word of God? If not, it is false. This means we must know our Bibles ourselves. The best defense against a counterfeit is to know the original. Study and learn the Word of God so thoroughly that you would be able to recognize the false teachers. All messages of hope of deliverance apart from faith in Christ are all false gospels of a false salvation declared by false prophets.

Jesus says that one's inner self will eventually become apparent (Matthew 12:34). What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet? I would think the greatest test of a false prophet is his/her teaching. Does it line up with the consistent teaching of the Word of God? If not, it is false. This means we must know our Bibles ourselves. The best defense against a counterfeit is to know the original. Study and learn the Word of God so thoroughly that you would be able to recognize the false teachers. All messages of hope of deliverance apart from faith in Christ are all false gospels of a false salvation declared by false prophets.

• 4 weeks later...

They have egos that portray that they feel they have all the answers and no one is as good as they are.

They will pick and choose bible passages that cover their thoughts. They ignore those that they do not want to hear.

Everything has to be done their way. You have to plan a worship service so that it does not upset them.

They feel that they have to control all aspects of the church. They feel that they have the last financial say in everything because they give the most money each week.

They need everyone to tell them how great they are. They constantly need someone to validate their worth.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that some of the kinds of “fruit” that might be a clue to a false prophet is seeing a person trying to draw others to themselves and not helping others. They will try to take control of every situation and be talking against the leadership of the church.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 11:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

NOT ALWAYS SHOWING THE LOVE OF CHRIST, PRAYING ON THINGS INSTEAD OF JUST REACTING AND SAYING THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT. GREED, TALKING ABOUT 

people.

• 2 years later...

What kinds of "fruit" might be clues to a false prophet?

Everything contrary to Gal 5: 22-23  ... love, joy (gladness) peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control ... which are the "fruit of the (Holy) Spirit.

Gal 5:29-21 reveals the "fruits"of the flesh ... immorality, impurity, indecency, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions) party spirit (sects with peculiar opinions/heresies) envy, drunkenness, carousing ... 

Thus clues to the bad fruit are :

dominant character flaws (fruits of the flesh mentioned above) 

strange and somewhat perverted teachings

actions and attitudes that don't conform to what you expect of a Christian leader

hypocrisy .... teaching one thing and living another way.

destroying the unity of the "flock"

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. By their Fruit