JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

It is the same with Abraham as it is with us who are the off-spring of him, that is, that we are justified by our faith in God and we walk in the same faith. To be justified means that we are promised by God that since we believe and trust in His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, then we are said to be righteous (or perfect) before Him just as the men of God, including David, a man after God

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham is an example of faith. He is justified for his faith and not for what he did (Rom. 4).

Most times, Abraham trusted Hashem completely.

He left his country on His command to an uncertain future,

he knew his wife could have a baby if He said so even though it was biological impossible,

he was even willing to sacrifice his son.

We are justified for believing in Jesus who died for us.

That means that He forgives our sins so we do not go to hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness. Abraham did nothing of himself. He was justified because of his faith not something he did.

For us - we believe that God sent His son Jesus to die for our sins, while we were still enemies of God. We believe this (faith) and can stand justified before God as we know He has forgiven us all our sins. We have done nothing, of ourselves, to cause this and through the free gift to us of the death of Jesus we can stand justified before God.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. . .I may be the only one doing this study this week! Well, that's okay. If anything, writing these posts will serve as a journal of sorts.

To me, justification through faith means being acquitted from death on account of my belief. I like thinking of faith in the verb form, as the study mentioned. Faith can often have a frothy, angel-wings connotation. It sounds very peaceful and "inspirational." However, faith as a reliance on God is a different story. It's a raw, full-force, often scary dependence on God.I'm not saying this verb-faith should be confused with works--we believe hard enough, we earn righteousness. But when reading Romans, I can't help but think that Paul had something more in mind than the superficial Christian trimmings of bumper stickers and church potlucks. Paul's faith implies action.

Performing works for God can be a wonderful way to worship him. But it is not the key to salvation. I think faith is so important for justification because belief requires our whole lives. Works can be broken down into tasks that are easy to compartmentalize. Faith takes over. Full reliance on God requires our whole hearts. And of course, we can never do enough works to acquit us from our sin. By God's grace, he has given us another way.

Hmm. . .I may be the only one doing this study this week! Well, that's okay. If anything, writing these posts will serve as a journal of sorts.

To me, justification through faith means being acquitted from death on account of my belief. I like thinking of faith in the verb form, as the study mentioned. Faith can often have a frothy, angel-wings connotation. It sounds very peaceful and "inspirational." However, faith as a reliance on God is a different story. It's a raw, full-force, often scary dependence on God.I'm not saying this verb-faith should be confused with works--we believe hard enough, we earn righteousness. But when reading Romans, I can't help but think that Paul had something more in mind than the superficial Christian trimmings of bumper stickers and church potlucks. Paul's faith implies action.

Performing works for God can be a wonderful way to worship him. But it is not the key to salvation. I think faith is so important for justification because belief requires our whole lives. Works can be broken down into tasks that are easy to compartmentalize. Faith takes over. Full reliance on God requires our whole hearts. And of course, we can never do enough works to acquit us from our sin. By God's grace, he has given us another way.

You might be interested to know that although I'm not studying Romans, and instead studying Johns Letters, I've infact just read your post... so who knows how many more people might find what you write. Just wanted to say that you are not alone and wish you the very best.

You might be interested to know that although I'm not studying Romans, and instead studying Johns Letters, I've infact just read your post... so who knows how many more people might find what you write. Just wanted to say that you are not alone and wish you the very best.

You are indeed "open2itall"! Thank you so much for your encouragement!

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

It means that you are found innocent and are good in the eyes of God.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

Abraham belived in God and he was declared righteousness. Faith is beliving in Jesus and when you belive you are justifed by his blood. Justified means you are now not gulity but innocent and cleaned.

abrahm believe in god,and our faith in the lord was justified enough.the first great benefit enjoyed by those of us who have been justified by faith is peace with god through our lord jesus christ.

to be justified we have to humble ourselves to the lord and reaaly be justified for our sins.you see god sent jesus to died on the cross for our sins,and we really need to remeber this,jesus wants us to live by him we are children of god,and we need to love one another with our whole heart.through the work of christ all causes of enmity between our souls and god have been removedwe have been changed from foes to friends by a miracle of grace

For Abraham: belief and righteousness. With faith, we have peace with Jesus because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Christ has brought us into this place of highest privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory. In my own words: justification means "just as if I never sinned."

to me justified means to me that i am a sinner and im no longer am,cause ive been justified by faith and peacewith god through our lord jesus christ,i have been change from foes to friends by a miracle of grace.we are accepted in the beloved one,therefore we are as near ad dear to godas his own beloved son.

I'm new to the studies and am grateful for what I've learned so far.

In regards to justification by faith I hold the belief that when the day of judgment comes and the book of life is opened that my name will be found in it. That's what my faith is based on. That's because God's word promises that whoever believes in His Son will be saved and because God cannot lie I can trust in Him keeping that promise. So when the "Book of Life" is opened on the day of judgment, my confidence is my name will be found in it for accepting Jesus as my savior.

As far as being justified is concerned, I believe that I am, not only through the blood of the lamb which erases all my sins, but also by my striving to obey God's instructions on how to bring Him glory, i.e. in spreading the gospel message, loving my neighbor, living holy etc. because "faith without works is dead." The blood of the Lamb makes us righteous in God's eyes, but justification comes from action as in Abraham's trusting in God and His willingness to sacrifice his only son.

Abraham believed God, believed His promises which showed his faith and this pleased God because it was not of works. For us to be justified is to believe, have faith that God sent his Son to die on the cross to atone for our sins and to believe that because of this we have eternal life. We like Abraham cannot be justified by our works. From then until now its all about faith. To be justified is to be made right with God.

To answer these questions I need to begin with chapter 3:31. "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." To justify in a nautical sense means to adjust course, to set on right headings. In a manuscript setting; to justify means to adjust the spaces so everything lines up straight on the edges.

My key to understanding is believing in God. God instructed Abram to leave his family, land, and all the comforts of home to go to a land he would show Abram. Abram believed God and set his course according to God's instruction. When God credited Abram's belief as righteousness, he was a little off course when he believed it was Hagar who was to be the mother of his children. Abram still needed to justify his course to line up with God's intentions, and that happened when God changed Sarai's and Abram's name to Sarah and Abraham. God set them on a new course, a course through which the blessings and everlasting covenant would be through Isaac and his descendants.

For me the relationship between faith and justification comes in the everlasting covenant through Christ Jesus. Through faith in Jesus, a sinning gentile like myself is now set on a right course, a course justified through the life of the Son, given to me by the Holy Spirit, and only available because of the grace of the Father.

Here is what justification means to me. If I was to set sail for Hawaii, using the stars as a guide, I might get off course during the day. At night when the stars were visible I could make any course corrections needed thereby justifying, making right, my course for the next day. If by lack of faith I didn't make any corrections who knows where I could end up. Look what happened to Columbus.

Darrell

To answer these questions I need to begin with chapter 3:31. "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." To justify in a nautical sense means to adjust course, to set on right headings. In a manuscript setting; to justify means to adjust the spaces so everything lines up straight on the edges.

My key to understanding is believing in God. God instructed Abram to leave his family, land, and all the comforts of home to go to a land he would show Abram. Abram believed God and set his course according to God's instruction. When God credited Abram's belief as righteousness, he was a little off course when he believed it was Hagar who was to be the mother of his children. Abram still needed to justify his course to line up with God's intentions, and that happened when God changed Sarai's and Abram's name to Sarah and Abraham. God set them on a new course, a course through which the blessings and everlasting covenant would be through Isaac and his descendants.

For me the relationship between faith and justification comes in the everlasting covenant through Christ Jesus. Through faith in Jesus, a sinning gentile like myself is now set on a right course, a course justified through the life of the Son, given to me by the Holy Spirit, and only available because of the grace of the Father.

Here is what justification means to me. If I was to set sail for Hawaii, using the stars as a guide, I might get off course during the day. At night when the stars were visible I could make any course corrections needed thereby justifying, making right, my course for the next day. If by lack of faith I didn't make any corrections who knows where I could end up. Look what happened to Columbus.

Darrell

The relationship between faith and justification is the same for Abraham as it is for us. If we believe in Him, He begins a work in us, the first step being justification. It means all the burdens (sins) we carried are gone-we are no longer God's enemy, but have "changed sides" and are reconciled to Him. We are freed from the domain of sin and made to be His righteousness. ( I Corinthians 5:17-21)

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that struck me about this question was the differance between the Jews of Christ's time and that of Abraham. Abraham, although using the law that God have him, did so out of faith and love of his God and creator. The Jews of Christ's time, it appears to me, had forgotten that and had relied completely on the law to justify thier salvation. Abraham's love and faith produced works through love. To me that is where the justification comes in. When we produce acts of love and kindness to another through our faith, hope and love of Jesus Christ as our personal savior.

Mik3

I believe To be justified by faith is to trust with all my heart & understanding that every word, & every promise which God has made is true.

Salvation is trusting or believing in, by faith, that Jesus Christ paid for your sins with His blood on the cross of Calvary.

John 6:37 "All that the Father giveth me, shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

The relationship between faith and justification for Abraham and for us is the same: faith or belief in God and Jesus gives us God's grace and forgiveness. To be justified means my sins are wiped clean.

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? Abraham was reckoned as righteous by God not because of anything he had done, but because he believed God (Genesis 15:6 which is quoted by Paul in Romans 4:3)

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In Romans Chapter 4 Paul tells us that the words "it was reckoned to him" when referring to Abraham "were written not for his [Abraham's] sake alone, but for ours also. It will be reckoned to us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, who was handed over to death for our trespasses and was raised for our justification." Therefore, like Abraham, we are justified, not as a result of anything we are or do, but through our faith in the risen Christ and in his Father who sent him.

In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified? It means to be completely acquitted so as to be, like Abraham, reckoned as righteous by God. This is something which we could never have achieved on our own or through our own efforts. It is with this confidence that we can stand or kneel before God now without any fear of condemnation or retribution. We bring nothing of our own to Him, but through our faith, our belief, we are saved. This is Good News :D

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that faith is the condition for being justified. Faith is the starting point for our salvation and Christian path in life. Without faith how can we trust in God, his plan for us, or his word as expressed in the bible? In other words, faith is the most elementary and critical element for Christian living.

Hi Everyone!

Belief is the relationshipe between faith and justification. Since Abraham loved God, he chose to believe Him. We all need to do the same.

Justification through Christ means I accept by faith that God has forgiven me of my sins, and He remembers them no more. I have heard it said that "Justify can be thought of as 'Just as if I had never sinned.'"

• 1 month later...

For Abraham (4:3), his faith, complete confidence in God, made him justified before God. For us our faith, is a state of complete trust in God and this state of trust give us peace with God. We are declared righteous when we have unshakable faith. To be justified means that you have been declared righteous.

For me the relationship is that by having faith in God, we entirely believe/trust that God sacrificed his Son to die for us on the cross. Through this belief we submit to God and entrust him with our entire being and through this action we are justified. Justification can only happen through faith and not the other way around. Christ already died on the cross for our sins and we need to make the choice whether we wish to follow the Lord through faith or not. I pray we all choose the first option.

For Abraham I believe there was some similarity in the sense that he submitted to God entirely and believed in Him without fail.