JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christ Died for the Ungodly

No one. Is greater than any other, we’re all on a level playing field - one immediate thought!  Secondly, I recognize I could never be good enough.  I certainly wasn’t striving to be my best, I recognized I was a sinner.  I’m accepted regardless, it is my faith that saved me nothing I did or could do so that is and should be a non issue. There is no good enough, nor is there too bad, Christ died for all.

Satans only weapon is deception! He desires to make us doubt by trying to make the issue that we are bad a sinner, and to not seek God in those moments where we fail. Truth is he’s right we cannot be good enough however that is when God wants us to acknowledge our sin, repent, and move on because we are not perfect, we are still sinners, until the day of the Lord.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is important because it reflects our worth in God's eyes. Jesus died for us when we were still ruled by our sinful nature and thus were "enemies" with God. Even though we were "enemies", He still wanted us and counted us worthy to die for. How much more now that we have been justified by His sacrifice? The devil tries to make us believe that we are worthless, however that is the exact opposite of how God sees us - intrinsically valuable enough to die for.

In practical terms, putting oneself in harm's way for another (sacrifice) is much harder than overlooking that other one's deficiencies (forgiveness). Yet we are often apprehensive about being forgiven when we stumble as Christians. Paul uses this ultimate sacrifice (that was done before we knew Him) to demonstrate the depth of God's love for us. We need to learn to see our true selves through His eyes and not the distorted image the devil tries to deceive us with. 

• 5 months later...

It is important so that we remember that He died for us when we did not deserve it. When we were at our worst and unholy and ungodly He still loved us enough to die for us. That now even though we might flub up and sin He will not discard us. We are His forever; and we are sealed by the Holy Spirit. No one can take us out of His hands. 

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, ? Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

It is important to believe the truth that He died for the ungodly because He chose to die on a cross at Calvary for the sins of the world for people who would come to Him readily and seek Him for salvation and ask for forgiveness for their sins. He died for us at our worst when we were sinners. While we were yet sinners; He chose to give His life a ransom for many. It shows us that we needed a Savior to save us from our sins.

• 2 months later...

“Christ died for the ungodly…for sinners” - Christ did the unthinkable, and as Paul explained it, the irrational. To embrace this reality makes very clear who I was before Christ saved me and who He is in his wondrous love. At the same time I was more sinful than I realized, I was more loved than I ever dared possible. My unworthiness met God’s irrational, agape love. It was never about being worthy, and never will be. 
This is the undeserving love that is lavished (poured out) in our hearts. 

If,  in my worst condition (broken, sinful, rebellious, self-reliant) God initiated his love toward me through the death of his Son, is there anything I can do to lose that affection now that I’m a child of God? That question has been settled, sealed by God’s approval, and proven by the resurrection of Christ. God is faithful to his promise to forgive me when I still fail, because Jesus has justly paid it all. Unending praise to God…nothing can separate me now from his love! Perfect love casts out all fear. 

• 1 month later...

this implies that while we were sinners Christ died for us. this should shows the depth of the love of God for all humanity and the fact that this grace is still available even for the unbeliever to take advantage of to leave the way of destruction to the way of life. but even for the believer that when we fall short of God's glory by exchanging it for what the world has to offer we are not condemned because we are in christ the grace is still available for us to give up the unworthy glory for the glory of God. 

• 1 month later...

Christ died for us at our worst. This embraces everything. You cannot get worser that worst. So it is for all time. It embraces all. This then gives us the assurance that Christ has paid the penalty, He has redeemed me, set me free. All is forgiven. 

HALLELUJAH WHAT A SAVIOR!!!!! 

• 2 years later...

I know, without a doubt, that my salvation is secure. I know this because I've tried to run away from God and return to my secular life. He pursued me. He doesn't let me go. So, yes, I know that Christ died for the ungodly sinner like me. He pursued me at my worst, in fact.

I've never felt too bad to forgive because of His nature, His essential out-reaching toward me in spite of my huge failures.

• 7 months later...

Jesus himself said that it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. Likewise a person without sin (there is noone) wouldnt need Jesus. It is so important to know that we as sinners are saved through Jesus -we were the ungodly. We can sin badly and feel condemned but When we understand that Christ died for the ungodly, and we accept him as Lord and Saviour, we know we are forgiven, through him.