JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christ Died for the Ungodly

Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)?

This is so important because we can never achieve the mark, we are born with the sin nature and praise God He died for us in spite of this and gave us the hope of heaven.

According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst?

He died for us while we were yet sinners....not perfect.....but sinners.

How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

God loved us so much that He gave His beloved Son to die for us.....so we know that Satan is a liar and a cheat. Satan wants us to feel bad and despondent but Christ Jesus lifts us up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The Lord died for us while we were enemies of God.There is nothing in me,of my own strength and nature,that is pleasing to God.

Now that I am saved,I am totally reliant on His righteousness not mine.Also,I have compassion for people who are not saved

and I don't beleive myself to be better than anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

Answer:Answer:It is important to embrace this truth,so that we don

• 2 weeks later...

Christ died for me when I was deep in sin. He has given me the victory. Since my victory is in Him, I no longer have to return to my sin and enmity with God. I am forgiven and the devil's lie have lost their grip on me.

That is true Moody,that is why in Hebrews 10:17 He says to you.."AND YOUR SINS I REMEMBER NO MORE"....

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

Because we are all sinners and are powerless to save ourselves. Christ died for us when we were ungodly. This gives us assurance because we are not saved by our own righteousness but we can stand still in God's grace and favor because it is his righteousness not ours.

It is important for us to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" because Christ is the only one that can help us to turn sin away, to not give in to worldly ways. By believing in Christ, our sins are forgiven and even though we continue to sin, we are forgiven by Christ's death on the cross. We should do all we can not to sin and ask God's forgiveness when we do. Christ died for us when we were at our worst...complete and total sinners. Knowing that God loves us, even when we mess up, gives us the assurance we need to turn away the devil's lies about us being too bad to be forgiven. We are given a clean slate everyday and we should fight everyday against the evil and sin that continually surrounds us.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so important to embrace the truth that Christ died for us when we were at our worst because Satan really does try to tell us that we'll never make it, that we're not good enough for God, weren't good enough in the first place and can't be good enough now. One of the things this lesson has really been making me think of is the fact that Satan deals in hopelessness, but Christ deals in hope; God deals in hope.

If we can accept that Christ died for us while we were at our worst, we can accept the gospel and his plan for us, but otherwise, we'll just keep trying to earn salvation through works, which is impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

It is of the utmost importance that we understand and grasp the truth about Jesus dying for the ungodly that He died for sinners. If Jesus had laid down His life for righteous people it would not be a sacrifice; He would not be the Savior. He died for sinners because that was all we could be; our human nature would not let us be anything else. (Romans 8:7) He died for us because we could not be anything else unless He made a way for us to be able to become children of God. He died for us while we were still sinners at our worst. Satan wants us to believe that we can do things that God will not forgive. He torments people with the mistaken knowledge that they have committed the unpardonable sin. We must remember that Satan is a liar. (John 8:44) And Satan wants our destiny to be his own--separation from God forever. Because of God's love for us that He died for us at our worst we can have assurance that since He as made it possible for us to be forgiven He is not going to hang us out there when we make mistakes and sin, God says He will never leave or forsake us. Hebrews 13:5-6.

• 1 month later...

-This is important because Christ died for us at our worst, when we were still rejecting him and in our sin.

So it's not about what we do that gains us right standing with God it's all about Christ's sacrificial death on the cross.

- We need to know this so when the devil tells us our sin is too big to forgive we can tell him for a fact that God is not about to give up on us. Christ has taken away all our condemnation first when we gave our lives to Him all our sins are blotted away and He continues to intercede for us daily before the Father. His blood will continue to save us daily as we abide in Him.

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)?

Once we embrace this essential truth we begin to fully understand the Love of God. There was and still is no way we can be made right with God by anything we ourselves can do. Even the Old Testament sacrifices only gave mankind a temporary form of ceremonial righteousness to enable the people of that time to properly worship God with sacrifices that were good for that one time only. Once they went back to their everyday lives they were ceremonially unclean again. This situation has everything to do with God's Holiness. As a Holy being, God can't look upon sin. Therefore He instigated the Law of Moses to enable His people to worship Him in a way God Himself could accept. Every year the high priest had to offer sacrifices for himself, then for the Israelites. This was an imperfect way of making people right with God.

God sent Jesus into the world specifically to be the perfect ultimate sacrifice, once and for all, to bring about lasting permanent reconciliation for mankind. The best good things we can do fall way short of sufficient in God's sight. Our righteousness is as filthy rags to God in His holiness. Jesus Christ HAD to die for us to bring about God's forgiveness once and for all. Jesus died for us while we were in a state of sinfulness and rebellion. Mankind could never achieve the righteousness we now have through the sacrifice of Christ on our behalf. We are declared righteous, or justified in God's eyes through our faith in Jesus and our acceptance of His sacrifice for and on behalf of sinful Mankind. Praise God that in His infinite Love He chose to do that!!

According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

Christ died for us at our worst. There simply is no "best". We were wretched and sinful in the eyes of God. Therefore since Jesus died for the whole world, and there are and have been some very sinful people in the world at all times, we can't be so far gone that God can't forgive us. He forgave the Apostle Paul who was persecuting Christians to the point of death prior to being forgiven by God. About the worst thing a person can do is kill another person. Paul's very conversion proves that God forgives even that!

• 1 month later...

It's important to understand that Christ came for and died for sinners. He came to make a way for us to be right with God. There is no sin too bad for God to forgive. Christ's death covers all our sin. To God all sin is the same, because the effect is the same seperation from God. Christ's blood shed for us is what enables us to enter a relationship with him, and be clean in His sight.

• 1 month later...

The fact that Christ died for us as sinners is evidence of His undying love for His hildren. He did not want us to be separated from Him. While he could not condone our sin, He knew that the only way back to Him was through the shedding of sinless Blood.

• 3 weeks later...

We are ALL ungodly ainners. Only the great I AM was sinless. Our best will never be good enough to deserve grace and eternal life. Thank goodness He is loving beyond our dreams. Thanks goodness for His Grace. We are like a cry in the wilderness when we let Him come through us, and witness to His Glory

• 4 months later...

He died for us at our worst---which means no matter how bad we are he always wants to forgive because of his great love for us. It reminds me of something a mentor said to me. When I said that sometimes I felt like the sins I committed were so horrible that God wouldn't forgive me and she said Are you talking about the God of the Universe? It sounds like the sin you are committing is pride, I mean how could I possible do something that the God of the universe who created everything and everyone would look at and say oh my goodness that's the most evil corrupt worst person ever. He cannot be surprised by anything I do. Now it feels almost disrespectful to think that I am "too bad" for him to forgive.

Because without this hope-that Christ died for us when we were yet sinners-there would be no reason to believe in Jesus. We can never "measure up" to the standards that God has for us in this life.

Jesus died for us while we were still in sin.

When the devil comes whispering to us that we are not good enough, we can just spank him and send him on his way! devil is a liar and a thief-he would love nothing more than to rob us of our faith in Jesus' salvation. Not going to happen!

• 2 weeks later...

That Christ died for the ungodly demonstrates his love for all mankind, even the most evil and corrupt, no person is beyond forgiveness.

When Christians mess up we can go boldly before the throne of grace. God's love and his willingness are beyond measure, love always forgives.

• 3 months later...

God died for us at our worst.

It gives us assurance because since he freely gave is life for our salvation before we even accepted his gift. Once we accept his gift Jesus will forgive our sins no matter how bad we think they are, they are no match for God.

It's important to embrace it because it's the basis of our salvation. It shows us that we did nothing to deserve what he did for us. It shows us that we were never good enough to deserve his grace; therefore, we don't have bragging rights.

Since Christ died for us at our worse, we have assurance that no matter what we do, it's never bad enough where his blood does not cover it. This includes past, present, and future sins! Glory to God!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Verses 5-8 We know that God will never disappoint us. One writer says that God’s love is ‘like rain that pours onto dry ground’. We know God’s love in two ways:

a) He has given us the *Holy Spirit. The Spirit helps us to know that God loves us. His love will never give us up. It is like Paul’s words, ‘The Spirit joins with our spirit to declare that we are God’s children’ (Romans 8:16).

B) God has proved his love by *Christ’s death on the *cross. When God gave his son, God was giving himself. He was giving his love to those who do not deserve it. ‘We had no power of our own.’ So we cannot rescue ourselves from *sin. But God chose the right time to rescue us. God is very different from men. On a rare occasion, a person might be willing to die on behalf of a good person. But *Christ died for bad people. We were *sinners who could not earn our own *salvation. So our *salvation was entirely the result of God’s love.

Verses 5-8 We know that God will never disappoint us. One writer says that God’s love is ‘like rain that pours onto dry ground’. We know God’s love in two ways:

a) He has given us the *Holy Spirit. The Spirit helps us to know that God loves us. His love will never give us up. It is like Paul’s words, ‘The Spirit joins with our spirit to declare that we are God’s children’ (Romans 8:16).

B) God has proved his love by *Christ’s death on the *cross. When God gave his son, God was giving himself. He was giving his love to those who do not deserve it. ‘We had no power of our own.’ So we cannot rescue ourselves from *sin. But God chose the right time to rescue us. God is very different from men. On a rare occasion, a person might be willing to die on behalf of a good person. But *Christ died for bad people. We were *sinners who could not earn our own *salvation. So our *salvation was entirely the result of God’s love.

a) He has given us the Holy Spirit. The Spirit helps us to know that God loves us. His love will never give us up. It is like Paul’s words, ‘The Spirit joins with our spirit to declare that we are God’s children’ (Romans 8:16).

God has proved his love by Christ’s death on the cross. When God gave his son, God was giving himself. He was giving his love to those who do not deserve it. ‘We had no power of our own.’ So we cannot rescue ourselves from *sin. But God chose the right time to rescue us. God is very different from men. On a rare occasion, a person might be willing to die on behalf of a good person. But Christ died for bad people. We were sinners who could not earn our own salvation. So our salvation was entirely the result of God’s love.

I believe it is important for us to embrace the truth that Christ died for the ungodly because if we believe that he died for us at our worst, just think of what He will do for us in a better state! This helps me to know that if I was good enough as a horrible sinner, I must be even better as a believer who accepts Him!!! This helps me battle the strongholds that the devil pushes on me....it helps me when I find myself coming under condemnation. Praise the Lord!