JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Christ Died for the Ungodly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

We are sinners, each and everyone of us.

Paul assures us Jesus also died for us at our worst.

Satan on the other hand is trying to steal the truth about this.

He wants us to think we are to evil to be forgiven so we lose all hope and join him in stead of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

If we were good and never did anything wrong why would Christ need to die for us? We need to fully understand that none of us are inherently good, we are all sinners and that Christ died for us while we were sinners, while we were at our utter worst. There is no sin that has not been dealt with on the Cross. It is God's free gift of love to us so that we may become His adopted children through no good works of our own.

All the time the devil does accuse us, saying we are too bad to be forgiven, we are bad parents, bad citizens, bad children etc but when we know truly that God sent His son to die for us, when we were at our vilest then we can know that nothing can separate us from God's love and the devil has no power over us. Sin has been defeated by Christ's death on the Cross and no matter how hard the devil tries to tell us that we are not worthy or good enough we can say with full confidence that God has forgiven our sins and the devil has no power over us.

• 2 weeks later...

When we start to doubt that God has accepted us at our worst, it is easy to get discouraged and doubtful. That discouragement will often cause us to give up in the face of trials. In other words, we will not persevere, we will lose hope, and we will lose character. I've seen this happen so many times: "Well, I messed up again, so I might as well go whole hog." When we really internalize the assurance that Jesus died for us at our worst, we will be excited and hopeful about moving forward. Even when we mess up, we will be able to get our acts together and move forward because we know that agape love is still there, waiting for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)? According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst? How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

I think it is imporant because it reminds us of how sinful we are amd unworthy we are. Christ died for us at our worst. This gives assurance aganist the devil because Christ had died for everyone and now that we belive in Jesus we are justifed by his blood.

It is imporant because if Christ had never died we will all go to hell when we die.Christ had died for us at our worst.This gives us assurance because God loves us and want see us in his kingdom.

no matter how bad we sin,jesus still save us.we are reminded that we ar weak,and helpless,without strength,and unable to save ourselfves.but the lord jesus christ died for us on the cross so we can be saved.we are all sinners but we have jesus to forgive us as sinners.for jesus is the light and the way.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the alternative if Christ hadn't died for us "while we were yet sinners" ? It would have left us with the UNACHIEVABLE goal of EARNING his shed blood. For Christ to die for the "Godly" is not even a possibility because "there is none that are righteous" according to God's word, and our works are like filthy rags compared to God's holiness. So without Christ's shed blood to give us His righteousness there is no way we can even hope to attain anything comparable to holiness... we are lost in our sins and without hope. So for Christ to die for the ungodly while we were yet in our sins was the only way for the Father to reconcile his creation to Himself, there is no other alternative...He allowed His only son to be sacrificed in order to save His human creations from their deserved punishment of death. Sin is sin to God so the idea of one feeling their sins are too great to be forgiven is like saying someone is kind of pregnant. You either are or you aren't .. your either a sinner or your righteous. Without Christ's blood covering our sins, big or small sins , we're still sinners . But with His blood covering our sins, big or small sins, we're righteous. A white lie is a sin as much as murder is a sin because sin is the breaking of the law, God's laws. There is not one person on the face of the earth who has or ever will go through life without breaking one of God's laws.Therefore we're all sinners, we all fit in the "sinner" category with no way of becoming an "un-sinner". That is why we need our sins covered by the blood of the only One who was or ever will be perfect. Jesus Christ.

Until the age of 37 I believed that Christ died for those who were raised up with church going families. I was in bondage to alcohol and the sins associated with getting drunk whenever possible. If it were not for God leading me to this very scripture and me believing it, I would still be in bondage to my past. I was sitting in church with my last big hangover when I picked up the bible in front of me and opened it to this very passage. If that passage had said, "Except for you Darrell, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly." I would still be living my past life.

Believing this was a turning point in my life. I now live the life I thought was reserved for only the chosen few, free from the bondage of sin. My past sins accounted for by the grace of God. When the devil tries to remind me of them I remind him of his future.. and I am good with that. I am good with that because I would much rather spend eternity in heaven knowing my sins were forgiven than eternity in hell believing that I was almost good enough on my own.

If Christ didn't die for the sinner, then why did he die? There would be no purpose to the cross at all. If there was no heaven there also would be no reason for the cross. If there were no hope for us in the death and resurrection there would be no reason for the cross. It all comes down to the cross. God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son.

If every life has a purpose then that purpose is to serve what you believe. Twenty years ago God presented me with a choice, believe in His Son or believe in my past. I chose His Son and left my past behind. I chose to believe in a "Can Do God" instead of a cannot do god. I chose to believe that by the blood of Jesus my sins were forgiven and no longer held against me. I chose to accept that my future was more important than my past so I repented and walked in a different direction, serving the one I put my hope and trust in.

It is never too late to accept Christ. At what point in traveling down a road going the wrong direction is it too late to turn around.

Darrell

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)?

He died for us when we were lost in sin and without any hope. He died for us when we were His enemies. Having made that sacrifice He will now not abandon us. As Paul says in 5:9 " Much more surely, now that we have been justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath of God" and again in verse 10 " For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life"

According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst?

While we were sinners, so at our worst.

How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

He made the ultimate sacrifice to offer us the chance of salvation when we were at out worst. He will never withdraw that salvation having once made that sacrifice. As Paul says, we have been made righteous through His blood and through that we will be saved. Of course, we have to accept his free gift of salvation, but if we accept it, and continue in its acceptance, we will be saved.

Believing that Christ died for us, even though we sin, is the root of our faith. We need to believe that God just gives us His love and forgiveness, we don't have to earn it, because we never could earn something so valuable. We should believe that Christ died for us at our worst, which means we are forgiven in ALL things.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to believe that this truth means we should be easy on ourselves. Sometimes I am very hard on myself when I make a mistake or don't live up to a certain expectation I hold for myself. I like to remind myself that Christ died for me on the cross as a sinner- he suffered and gave up his life for "a wretch" like myself! If Jesus made this sacrifice for me I should be able to be more accepting of myself and how I am. Additionally, I should be accepting and forgiving of others around me. I don't know if this directly responds to the question but I wanted to share this.

Hi, Pastor Ralph,

It is so important to embrace the truth that Christ died for the ungodly because all of us must realize that we ourselves cannot save ourselves from hell. We are helpless against death. Christ made the way for all of us to live in heaven with Him. Of course, it's up to us to choose to confess Him as God's only begotten son, and live our lives as He needs us to do.

It's also important to embrace the truth that Christ died for sinners because God loved the whole world, and Jesus was willing to carry out God's plan in order that none of us should perish. According to 5:8, Christ died for wus at our worst. We were sinners.

Jesus loved us (and He still does!)so much that He willingly went to the cross in our place. Even when we mess up, if we ask for His forgiveness, He is willing to forgive us because He loves us. Nothing can separate us from His love. Also, He has prepared a place for us in heaven to be with us. There is nothing that is too bad for Him to forgive us for if we admit our sins and ask forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), and that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)because Jesus died for our sins when we were at our worst. Now that we are (usually) acting better, he is not about to discard us as unworthy garbage when we mess up. He sought us out when we were at our worse and He'll be with us as we strive to live righteous lives.

According to 5:8, Christ die for us when we were at our worst. This gives us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive because the worse in us has been forgiven.

It is important, because we are ungodly ourselves, we are the sinners, Christ died on the cross for us when were at our worst. This fact gives me great assurance that I am never to bad to be forgiven. This does not give us the excuse to do bad knowing that we will only be forgiven, but it does tell us that God loved us so much that he sent his Son to die on the cross for our sins. At this moment I know that I could only die for the people whom I love, but love me back. Jesus Christ even died for those who hates God

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to know and remember that Christ died for us when we were ungodly, because it lets us know that if He died for us while we were in our worst state, He is faithful and can be trusted to not give up on us now that we have accepted Him.

• 3 weeks later...

We have to believe that God died for us in order for us to be saved. He died for us at our worst. we know that God lov us so much that he gave his only son to die for us that we may be save.

• 1 month later...

We and others HAVE to know that Christ came and died for the sinners and not the richeous. He came to save the lost, the drunkards, thieves etc. As per Rom 5:6.

Rom 5:6 For when we were still helpless, Christ died for the wicked at the time that God chose.

As per Rom 5:8 Christ died for us at our worst. 5:8 But God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Christ came into this world, to save us as sinners, He forgave every sin that we had committed. It was unconditional. The devil is the ultimate liar and deceiver and unfortunately there are many out there who believe his lies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Romans 5:6, 8) Why is it so important to embrace the truth that "Christ died for the ungodly" (5:6), that "Christ died for sinners" (5:8)?

ANS - Because without His love and His ultimate sacrifice we would be lost and doomed to a sinner's death. We are unable to save ourselves. Thank the Lord for His mercies, love and grace.

According to 5:8, did Christ die for us at our best or at our worst?

ANS - At our worst ("While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us"

How does this give us assurance against the devil's lies about us being too bad to forgive?

ANS - That Christ had me in mind even because I was born (Ps 139), and even when I was in sin, that he would give His everything for me - I can be totally confident in His eternal love for me. Nothing can separate me from His love. Thank you Jesus!

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to embrace this truth in order to embrace Jesus Christ and to understand that Jesus died on the cross for human sin -- sinners. He went to the cross on account of human sin. He didn't go to the cross for sinless people. There is nothing we can do other than accept what Jesus did on the cross in order to be saved and receive a new life. Become new creatures -- new creations. Jesus died for us at our worst. This fact totally negates Satan's lies about us being too bad to be forgiven. In fact, Paul writes "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Rm. 3:23. He added, "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ." Rm. 6:23