JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Reconciliation

Reconciliation means to be brought back together.  It is necessary because we were separated in the beginning because of Adam and something was needed to restore us back to God who created us. In a sense we are being saved through Christ’s resurrection and because He lived again, His death and resurrection is what’s saved us.  In the present Jesus is interceding for us so that we are acceptable to God (Romans 8:34)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 5:9-11) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present? 

Paul uses the Greek word  katallassō, "the exchange of hostility for a friendly relationship, to reconcile someone to someone" for the term we translate reconciliation. The way Paul uses the Greek word is in the sense to treat a person or account them as something, (valuable that is.) If God justifies a sinner, then, it means not that man has been proven to be good. Rather it means that God treats the sinner as if that person had not been a sinner at all! The sinner is treated as a child to be loved. If a child misbehaves it is chastised it is not cast out. So it is with God and His family -we are chastised not cast out.So than to be justified is to be placed in a new relationship with God -one of confidence, fellowship (through the Holy Spirit and Love (through Jesus). This is all brought about by the crucification and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Hence we are thought to be saved by Jesus' actions. But this is a process that is carried out in the past-hence we have been saved. It is being worked out in the present-  we are being saved and it will continue into the future- we will be saved. This is a process of now-not yet-it is coming. We have been saved in the past-we are being saved at the present- and we will be saved in the future. But we have a promise from Jesus through all this. I will be with you always even until the end of the earth. Glory to God for He has come, is now coming and will come. The past is ours, the present is ours and the future is ours- Glory to God in the highest and on earth goodwill to people.

All this gives us great joy.

"Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (5:11) (notes)

• 4 months later...

To be reconciled is to be restored to friendship. Our relationship with God was broken so we need reconciliation to Him. This reconciliation gives me free access into His presence and peace with God.

Even though we are guaranteed salvation, we still have a flesh and continue to sin. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, our character is being refined daily. We are not yet what we should be. Sanctification/transformation takes a lifetime. Praise God, Jesus continuously intercedes for us.

Q4 Reconciliation means to "make things right between 2 or more people". This is what Jesus' death did for us when we accept Him as Savior. It is necessary because without it we are strangers to God.

Now because of the resurrection our life is changed daily, to conform more to the character of Jesus. We have hope that we can be like Him because He lives in us and transforms our lives if we let Him.

• 4 months later...

Q4. (Romans 5:9-10) What does "reconciliation" mean?  To restore to friendly relations

Why is reconciliation with God necessary?  Reconciliation makes salvation a possibility (an open door).  We could never be saved if we were not first, reconciled to God on friendly terms. 

We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life?  His death made it possible for us to be able to live a life as He now lives.  A life that is full and complete (nothing missing nothing broken).  A Soteria lifestyle. (The word “salvation” in the Greek language is “soteria” (so-tay-ree-a) #4991, rescue, safety, deliver, health, The word “saved” in the Greek language is “sozo”(sode’-zo) #4982, it means “ to save, deliver or protect, to be made whole (in
health, prosperity and peace of mind).)

What is Jesus doing for us in the present?  He is our High Priest who intercedes on our behalf before the Father.

It is through reconciliation that people with opposing views come together in thought and deed (Jesus is sinless we are sinners) . Through His death on the cross, all sinners were reconciled (their sins forgiven). By trying to live our lives in and through Jesus, God forgives us of our sinful behavior and considers us as candidates for Salvation!

Through His resurrection Jesus "still lives", acting as a mediator for us, by interceding for us with God.

It is through reconciliation that people with opposing views come together in thought and deed (Jesus is sinless we are sinners) . Through His death on the cross, all sinners were reconciled (their sins forgiven). By trying to live our lives in and through Jesus, God forgives us of our sinful behavior and considers us as candidates for Salvation!

Through His resurrection Jesus "still lives", acting as a mediator for us, by interceding for us with God.

• 2 months later...

A. "The exchange of hostility for a friendly relationship, to reconcile someone to someone" (Lesson).

B. Since we have been reconciled by Christ's blood, there is the possibility of a relationship and access into His presence.  Now there is peace.  Reconciliation is necessary for access.

"There is an enmity in the heart of man against sacred things: that grace of Christ alone can remove this enmity" (Clarke).

C. The power of the Holy Spirit working in us sanctification - "The character of Christ."

D. He is interceding for us.  "God has embraced us with His love and favor far beyond any measure" (Lesson).

• 1 year later...

Reconciliation is necessary in order for us to live in God's presence.  Jesus' blood covers us (God sees the blood when He looks at us) and this gives us access to God to escape from His wrath/anger/punishment/judgment because of being a sinner estranged (alienated) from God.  We are saved by Jesus living in us and of Him interceding for us.  We now have resurrection life which has been made available to us.  We can now live out our purpose to give God glory and honor (now we are restored, delivered and redeemed from sin's grasp).  There is no longer a death grip on us and its penalty being our reward.  We are now living in harmony with God's will when we accept Christ.  The new relationship has been established and we have passed from death to life with a new purpose to live for God.  It is God's justice that He is angry against sin and when we refuse to turn from it to receive the just reward.  However, He brought us back to Himself by demonstrating His love for us in providing a way back through the sacrifice of His Son.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (Romans 5:9-10) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=795

Reconciliation is a word which means the mending of broken relationships, which at one point in everybody’s life, we are in rebellion against God and that is something which needs fixed if we are to inherit eternal life. As far as “being saved” presently, the work of salvation goes much farther into the sanctification process as we live for Christ who is now alive. The concept on this part of the verse in one, which I am currently struggling with (to understand). What does Jesus do for us presently? It would be easier to ask, “what doesn’t He do”? It is through Christ we obtain anything and all we need to do is ask. Jesus is Lord, but at the same time He is the one who provides everything.

• 11 months later...

Reconciliation-no longer an enemy of God, no longer an estranged relationship, but brought into a right relationship. Without reconciliation we are apart from God and can do no good.  With it we now have access to God.

In the present we continue to be saved as we grow in our relationship with Christ.  Sanctification is what I think of, we aren’t perfect - and won’t ever be on this earth - but God continues to work in us.

Jesus is there for us today through the Holy Spirit who is our helper, who gives us the power over sin, who convicts when we sin, and who is our advocate.

• 9 months later...

Reconciliation indicates the end of hostilities in a relationship. When sin entered into mankind, it caused a change in our relationship with God; even though He still loved us (His creation), our sinful nature was at odds with His holy nature thus creating a divide. Christ's sacrifice bridges that divide as He can now overlook our sinful nature and relate with us face-to-face again, just like Adam, which was His divine will from the beginning.

The blood of Jesus constantly intercedes for us before God. Transformation to His nature is a lifelong process and we're likely to occasionally yield to sin despite being saved. However, our sin won't be punished by separation anymore because of Jesus' sacrifice. Therefore apart from serving as an initial bridge reconciling us with God, Jesus also gives us the opportunity to maintain a relationship with God by preventing present and future sins from causing God to withdraw from us. 

• 5 months later...

Reconciliation means the ceasing of hostility bewtween two people. The ending of estrangement with God and complete harmony now. We are friends with God and accepted into His family.

Reconciliation is necessary because we cannot save ourselves. We cannot atone for our own sins and enter into His presence. Christ is the one who had to die in our place.

We are being saved from the wrath of God. We are being saved from being sent to hell and eternal seperation from God or His presence. Now we have access to God through Christ.

Jesus is our intercessor now. He pleads with God for us when we sin and reminds the Father what He did for us on the cross,

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Romans 5:9-11) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present? 

It means that through Christ's death we are declared righteous and no longer enemies of God but are friends of God now through Christ's death. We are justified by the blood of the Christ since only His blood could buy us back from the kingdom of darkness. It is necessary because through Adam's sin we all sinned sand none of us could save ourselves from our sins. By being justified through His blood and we have Christ as our Advocate next to the Father in Heaven pleading our case before Him. 

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Romans 5:9-10) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present?

Reconciliation is the result of being justified through the finished work of Christ on the cross. I’m brought near to God in friendship; the hostility has ended; the barrier of my sin has been removed, and I’m now welcomed and at peace with God. 

I can not have a relationship of love and intimacy apart from be reconciled to God. The visual of the veil being torn in two (upon Christ’s final breath) allowing access to the holy of Holies, where God’s presence dwelt, best pictures for me this new relationship of reconciliation. 

Now I stand in grace rather than judgment. I’ve been redeemed and forgiven,“transferred to the kingdom of His beloved Son” (Col. 1:13). Now begins the lifelong work of the Spirit dwelling in me, transforming my life and heart to reflect the new reality of my union with Christ. Jesus now lives to intercede for me before the throne of God. His wounds, always visible to the Father, plead my case and cause the sanctifying work of the Spirit to pursue me to the end. 

“For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled, sanctify for the cleansing of the body, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God.”

also Heb. 7:25~my eternal High Priest

• 1 month later...

What does "reconciliation" mean?

reconciliation in this case is restoring what was lost bringing it back to what it was supposed to be 

Why is reconciliation with God necessary?

this is necessary because it brings us back to God's original plan. to be his image fulfilling his will

We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life?

we are being saved from eternal damnation which is the fate of all the rebellious. they join satan in the rebellion against God's purposes. It would not be possible for man to do this on their own because we always fail. but through christ, we are saved since this is God himself in perfection extending his love and grace to mankind. therefore by accepting Christ to save us, he then comes and dwells in us restoring us to the relationship with God to the image of God to do as God does, and this is a process of renewing the mind to harmonize it to the mind of God which mind would not go against itself. 

What is Jesus doing for us in the present?

at the present Jesus intercedes for us before the father. every time we present before God and he sees Jesus in us, he sees himself in us and will accomplish his will to ensure that as he planned he fulfils, 

• 1 month later...

Reconciliation means that hostility which reigned between two people has been exchanged for a friendly relationship. 

Reconciliation with God is necessary because without it we are lost and doomed. Our sins brought about this hostility. Christ's death on the cross was payment for the penalty laid on us and now we can enjoy peace with God. 

Our life needs to be worked on to reflect Christ like character. This is done by Christ living in us through the power of the Holy Spirit. Sanctification being the action of making something holy. 

Jesus is sitting at the right side of the Father making intercession for us. Thus as we are human and do sin, Jesus pleads our cause before the Father and His blood is reflected, not our gross sin. The penalty has been paid. 

PRECIOUS SAVIOR THANK YOU. A THOUSAND TIMES TEN THOUSAND TIMES THANK YOU. 

• 2 years later...

I don't want Jesus' death on the cross to be a mere abstraction in my spiritual life. I want to feel and intuit, in my Spirit, what the cross really means.

My sin -- my behavior and thought, my character -- is so offensive to God that He rejected me. He pushed me away because His holiness was repelled by my disgustingness. God wants to be reconciled with me. He wants me not as I am, but as I am in Christ. 

Justification is the idea of paying up a debt or making right a wrong. It's not so much about God-reaching toward me as much as it is about making it possible for God to do so. So, Jesus paid my debt. It cost him dearly to pay the debt. He willingly did it, but it caused Him to be brutalized and to die. But now my debt is paid. I am justified before God. We are reconciled.

Justification precedes reconciliation. This is the necessary order. First Christ has to die to pay my sins, which justifies me ... then, I can be reconciled to God. The debt has to be paid first.

As in all broken relationships, reconciliation must occur before trust can be established. There's a one-timeness to reconciliation as well as it's continuing impact. I am still being saved by Jesus’ self-sacrifice on the cross because I still sin. When I repent for sin, His act on the cross erases it. Every one of my sins must be paid for, both known and unknown. Jesus’ long-ago death accomplished this. His life, death and resurrection continues to justify me before God. Our relationship is being re-restored instantaneously by that which has already happened on the cross.

The greatest evil in the world was the death of an innocent man on the cross, not just a man, but a man-God whose death redeemed all humanity. God brought good out of this evil. Those of us who are in the depth of despair and suffering -- I am -- cling to verses such as this: "Though he slay me, yet will I trust Him." Everything and everyone are mere instruments in the hand of God. 

God can bring good out of evil. He is sovereign so He can bring good out of all the evil done to those who believe in Him. He turned injustice into good. He turned tragedy into good.

It is rather easy to believe that God has the ability to bring good out of evil. He is sovereign, after all. As with the Joseph story, what others intended for evil, God meant for good. Yet, I find it difficult to believe that God will choose to do this for me. I want to believe -- so badly! -- that God will turn my circumstances into ones that lead to good, but I don't see any evidence of this and it's been many years. Still, I hope. I trust, though incompletely. I pray, sometimes fervently, sometimes half-heartedly. I believe God can turn evil into good. With the faith of a mustard seed, I know that God will make good out of the very evil current circumstances of my life.