JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Reconciliation

Q4. (Romans 5:9-11) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present?

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, shall we be saved from the wrath of God through him.

Rom 5:10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life;

Rom 5:11 and not only so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

Reconciliation

A change from enmity to friendship. It is mutual, i.e., it is a change wrought in both parties who have been at enmity.

Reconciliation to me is much more than just becoming friends...It is friends that in some way have been separated and brought back together again...a reunion of two who care and love one another. We sinned...we left God. He never left us. With the death of His Son we are able to return to that friendship...that love for one another. God out of love for us took the first step and sent His Son to die for us. The scheme of it is of his own contriving. We have nothing to do with it.

We are being saved by the life of Christ as He sits on the right hand of God. He intercedes for us and stands for us. He is preparing a place of us. He is living and knows the life that we have to live. He has been tempted and knows the trials we face. He is not dead and buried and forgotten. We are not forgotten. He did all of this for us and continues to fight for us. What an awesome concept to know that God is fighting for us.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 5:9-11) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present?

Reconciliation= to male friends with a enemy.

he intercedes for me and you and everyone.

interceding for me and you.

Reconciliation means that if you have an enemy you have became friends with that person. The sense of us being saved is that he sits at the right hand of God. Jesus is standing for us and protecting us.

Reconciliation means to change a hostile relationship to a friendly relationship. Reconciliation with God is necessary because that allows you to have a good relationship with him. By Jesus conquering death, it shows that he can save us from eternal death. Jesus is preparing a place for us and he is our mediator between us and God.

• 4 weeks later...

Reconciliation is to put an end to hostility. This is neccessary for us to enter into Heaven. He continuously renews our minds and spirit. He develops our character and renews our hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Reconciliation means to rebuild an peaceful relationship with someone.

Reconciliation with God is very necessary because we all fall short of the Glory of God and need to repent and turn from our sinful ways. Each and everyday, we need to reconcile with God.

We are being saved by Jesus's life for the judgement day. Our future judgement depends on how we live our lives being saved through Jesus Christ, our Savior.

Jesus intercedes for us to God.

• 1 month later...

The word reconciliation means to make peace with. When we reconcile our differences with someone else we are agreeing to a solution to the problem. That is what happened when Jesus died on the cross. When Jesus took our place He became our mediator between God and man. The means in which Christ mediated the conflict between God and man was through His death which was a substitutionary ransom. This means that Jesus took our place. Jesus had to do this because there was no amount of good in us that we could redeem ourselves back to God.

Now, that Christ took our place and died our death we have been reconciled to God. In a reconciliation both parties have to agree to the terms that the mediator offers. We were enemies with God, we by nature were hostile toward God and hated God and His righteous standards. But with what Jesus had done on the cross God's righteous ways are satisfied and man now has been restored His rights and priveleges that he had before Adam's fall. As a result of this reconcilatory work that Christ did we are saved from wrath of God that abides upon the unrepentant sinner.

But it does not stop there, there is more. Because we now have been reconciled unto God we can now partake of the divine nature that is in Christ. We have a free invitation to begin to develop in ourselves the same character that is in Christ. We can begin to conform to His image. What does this mean? Because sin no longer has any hold on us we can walk and live as Christ lived. We can begin to be more like Jesus.

Reconciliation according to Spiros Zodhiates dictionary, is used of the divine work of redemption, denoting that act of redemption insofar as God Himself, by taking upon Himself our sin and becoming an atonement, establishes that relationship of peace with mankind which the demands of His justice have hitherto prevented. "Katallasso, which is the Greek word, implies that God has laid aside or withdrawn his wrath. I also like the definition of Thomas Nelson's biblical dictionary: the process by which God and people are brought together again. The Bible teaches that they are alienated from one another because of God's holiness and man's sinfulness. Although God loves the sinner it is impossible for Him not to judge sin(Heb.10:27). Therefore, in biblical reconciliation, both parties are affected. Through the sacrifice of Christ, people's sins are atoned for and God's wrath is satisfied or appeased.

After this long definition all I can say that reconciliation is: God initiated, mind blowing demonstration of love for mankind, in which He volunteered Himself to take the death penalty of the worse kind upon Himself and in this way making peace between man and God. This was accomplished by the awesome work of Christ on the cross in which He died,took my sentence of death upon Himself and in this way also accomplishing God's appeasement. God did not overlooked our sin, patched it up and declared everything is ok BUT His justice demanded a payment and Christ offered Himself as that payment only then reconciliation was made possible.

Reconciliation is neccesary in order to have peace with God, a relationship with Him and access to His throne. God's perfec standard do not allow Him to mingle with a sinner just because But thru the blood of Christ this was made possible for us to relate to Him as our Father and for Him to have made us His children.

"In what sense are we being saved by His life?" Heb.7:25 says that He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them. Many angles to this question: because the beginning of our salvation is justification and that took place the moment that we believed it does not mean that we no longer need Him but we are being saved by His life because He continually works in us the process of santcification. Day after day He is at work in us to make us more into His own image. His work of intersession as a High Priest like it describes Him I have to understand better!

Presently He is working in us conforming us more to be like Him! Halleluiah! What an awesoem Savior we have.

• 4 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Q4. (Romans 5:9-10) What does "reconciliation" mean?

Reconciliation means we are made righteous by the death of Jesus and the shedding of His blood or us. We are sinners but Jesus gave His life or us that we would be forgiven of our sins and be made right with Him.

Why is reconciliation with God necessary?

Reconciliation with God is necessary because as sinners we would face the wrath of God in judgment; however, by Jesus

• 3 weeks later...

Reconciliation, as it relates to Romans 5, means turning our relationship with God from hostility to friendship. We are being saved everyday from out transgressions. And praise God because He know I commit them.

Jesus is sanctifying and purifying our souls everyday so that we may enter the presence of God. And not only so, Christ is also interceding on our behalf to God. Thank you Jesus for watching out for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Reconciliation means turning from being God's enemy to being His Friend. It is being allowed into a right relationship with Him.

Reconciliation is the only way to having a relationship with God and having my sins forgiven and forgotten.

Jesus life, He lives in me, keeps me in right relationship with God and enables me to live my life as God intends me to.

• 2 weeks later...

Reconciliation means to change, unbeliever to believer enemy to friend, this is what God achieves with His grace towards us sinful people thru the death of Christ. It is necessary to be reconciled with God so we can have a relationship with Him. In doing this we walk closer to God, surrendering ourselves to Him, and so thru the death of His Son we are saved, we have life! I believe that without Jesus sacrifice for us, we would be going to eternal hell. He is saving us from condemnation. He is doing the same for us now as He did when He walked the earth, He uses the Holy Spirit now. He is our medeator and saviour no changes, He is very much alive! :rolleyes:

Reconciliation means to change, unbeliever to believer enemy to friend, this is what God achieves with His grace towards us sinful people thru the death of Christ. It is necessary to be reconciled with God so we can have a relationship with Him. In doing this we walk closer to God, surrendering ourselves to Him, and so thru the death of His Son we are saved, we have life! I believe that without Jesus sacrifice for us, we would be going to eternal hell. He is saving us from condemnation. He is doing the same for us now as He did when He walked the earth, He uses the Holy Spirit now. He is our medeator and saviour no changes, He is very much alive! :rolleyes:

Reconcilication means turning from being God's enemy to being His friend.

It is important becuase without it a personal relationship would not be able to develop.

Through Jesus death we have free access into God's amazing presence.

Jesus intercedes on my behalf to the King of Kings and lord of Lords - amazing!

Having been purchased not for our value other than what God sees in us, we now have to live as if we are the most precious jewel. Reconciliation is about bridge-building. We say it to our children all the time

Its so wonderful to be reconciled, my sin that had once caused a void between my saviour has now been removed by the Blood of Jesus and now I can return to a place of friendship and peace with my God.

Reconciliation to means a warm hug of forgiveness a loving welcome home and a place beside the father.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=37945:date=Aug 16 2008, 02:03 AM:name=Pastor Ralph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pastor Ralph @ Aug 16 2008, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=37945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q4. (Romans 5:9-11) What does "reconciliation" mean? Why is reconciliation with God necessary? We understand our having been saved by Jesus' death (5:10a, past tense). In what sense are we being saved (5:10b, present tense) by his life? What is Jesus doing for us in the present?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

God is holy and we are sinners and therefore, we were far away from Him.

Reconciliation means that if we believe in Jesus, He puts us back together.

His death washed our sins away.

Then, we can stand before God.

In present, He walks besides us so we don't keep on sinning.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the very personal connotations in the Greek word for "reconciliation." From hostility to friendship! It's so much more than not getting into trouble with God, but the opposite extreme--becoming friends and children of God. The discussion on being saved through his life is very interesting to me. I have always thought of that verse as referring to Jesus's resurrection: If we are saved through his death, how much more we can assured of salvation because of the living proof through his resurrection--he is surely God! I have always seen the second part of the verse as added emphasis on our salvation, not a new idea of continued, daily sanctification. Either way, of course, it is a gift!

• 4 weeks later...

Reconciliation: means being changed and becoming clean through Jesus blood.

Reconciliation is necessary because we no longer are dead but alive with Christ.

We are being saved from hell because we belive in Jesus.

Jesus is saving people from hell and changing people lives.

Reconciliation means that we are now we are compatible to be God's children and covered in his blood. Reconciliation is necessary because if we were not reconciled by God we would still be living in our sins. We are saved now by Jesus dying on the cross and beliving that he is the only way to heaven. Jesus now is converting chosen sinners to come to God and be saved.

• 3 weeks later...

From Strong's Lexicon

Result of search for "reconcile":

3722 kaphar kaw-far' a primitive root; to cover (specifically with bitumen); figuratively, to expiate or condone, to placate or cancel:-- appease, make (an atonement, cleanse, disannul, forgive, be merciful, pacify, pardon, purge (away), put off, (make) reconcile(-liation).

7521 ratsah raw-tsaw' a primitive root; to be pleased with; specifically, to satisfy a debt:--(be) accept(-able), accomplish, set affection, approve, consent with, delight (self), enjoy, (be, have a) favour(-able), like, observe, pardon, (be, have, take) please(-ure), reconcile self.

Enough said?

Reconciliation is to reestablish a relationship between parties. Is anyone here married? I know the first thing to go between couples when one has done harm to the other is communication. Sin created an unworthiness feeling in me where I felt that I couldn't speak to God. In the beginning God gave the Law a a means for man to reconcile himself to God, not to drive man away. In a perfect setting this would have worked. The only trouble is man isn't perfect and the Law failed to do what God intended.

Faith in Christ does what the Law could not do. Faith in Christ opens communication with God. If Christ had died on the cross and not risen to the right hand of God there would be no reconciliation. He was here with us now He is there with God, yet still with us. "Remain in me as I remain in the Father", is what he said.

Darrell

• 4 weeks later...

I see reconciliation as a sharing back and forth between me and God; that there is a strong connection and relationship. This is how I have Jesus in my life presently and constantly, because He's always there. Knowing this, I can get through the challenges.