JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Buried and Raised with Christ in Baptism

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

Buried is correspondant to being emmerced in Water.

Christ being raised from the dead is correspondant to raising from the water, a new life in Christ.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism

Buried refers to the immersion as raised from the dead referees to the coming up from the water.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

"Buried" corresponds to going under the water. "Christ was raised from the dead" corresponds to coming up out of the water.

• 3 months later...

(Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

Since it's commonly known that baptism mean submersion, I think that when we go under the water, that's a reflection of Christ being buried. When we come out from under the water, it's a reflection of Christ being raised from the dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Buried corresponds to the act of Baptism and Christ was raised up related to coming out of the water in Baptism and being raised up to a new life (reborn).

(Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

The complete immersion of the body into the water during baptism corresponds to the death and burial of Christ.

As we rise out of the water it corresponds to Christ being raised from the dead. We are resurrected into a new spiritual body just as Christ was resurrected from the grave.

• 1 year later...

Being buried, for those having a baptism by full immersion in water, is considering that the immersion of the whole body somehow represents Christ's death on the cross, and the moment of complete immersion, no matter how short or long, unites us with Christ's actual death. That is death to sin for He died for our sins. Rising from the water, signifies that we have risen with Christ and can no longer be under the power of sin. Symbolic maybe, but to the true convert, very real experiences indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

We are so united with Him. He is in us and we should be in Him. Nothing can separate us

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

In the sacrament of baptism we are displaying our belief in the Jesus Christ the only Son of God our heavenly Father. When we are immersed in water we are symbolically joining Christ in His death, being buried with him. When we are raised from the water we symbolically raised from the dead with Christ and share in the new life with Him. Being united with Christ this way, His death has become our death, we are no longer slaves to sin no.    

• 4 years later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=801

Buried would correspond to going down under the water, representing the fact that our old life of sin should be dead and done whereas Christ raised from the dead would relate to when we come up out of the water representing the hope we have in being resurrected with him.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? Physically going under the water. Spiritually, we are united with Christ in his death, which for us symbolizes our dying to sin / self.

What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism? Again, physically coming up out of the water. Spiritually, we are cleansed of our sin, our old self. And as such share with Christ in a future resurrection- this was enlightening to me. I now realize how much mire significant and symbolic my baptism was.

• 10 months later...
On 8/16/2008 at 1:10 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Buried = Immersion in water

Raised from the dead = Emergence from water

• 5 months later...

We are buried with Him in His death and when he was buried we were joined with Him in it. Baptism is a form of burial since we go under the water just like Jesus was buried in the ground.

Christ being raised up from the ground is like our baptism in that we are raised up when we come out of the water again. 

• 1 month later...

When we are baptized in the water and buried with the Lord we are burying our past sins in the water and basically dying to them and the **** of the flesh and pride of the eyes and love of the world. It means that He was made alive again so that we could have a relationship with the Lord and be in constant contact with Him through it.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

The beauty of baptism by immersion is how clearly it pictures what is true of us as a result of receiving God’s gift of salvation and being united to Christ. Being submerged in the water corresponds to having died with Christ. Being raised up out of the water corresponds to having been raised with Christ - a resurrected life no longer under the curse of sin. My union with Christ through faith in what He accomplished by his death and resurrection becomes positionally true of me. “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me.“ Gal. 2:20

2 Cor. 5:14 “For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.”

• 2 months later...

In the 'act of baptism' when we go under the water, this symbolizes the death and burial of the old; when we come up out of the water, this is symbolic of having'risen from the dead', with/in Christ. 

The picture that Pickledilly portrays of the butterfly is very clearly a picture of death to the old and a complete new life in the new. Character, lifestyle and everything. 

Thank you

• 2 years later...

The sequence of events as I dimly understand them is this: 1) conversion 2) immersion 3)coming out of the water.

Conversion is the predicate on which baptism is based. Without being converted, it's just a silly ritual. The meaning of baptism is glued to the conversion of the now-believer.

Both immersion and coming out of the water simultaneously refer to, or symbolize, an event in the life of Christ as well as a change in the person of the believer.

• Immersion symbolizes Christ's death + our old sin nature now buried or drowned, old man, first Adam.
  • Coming out of the water symbolizes Christ's resurrection + our new forgiven nature, the new man and the second Adam.