JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Buried and Raised with Christ in Baptism

:rolleyes: Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

In baptism, being inmersed corresponds to death of the old life. Rising out of the water corresponds to being resurrected to a new life in Christ.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

In going under the water I am uniting in Christ's burial and killing my old life.

In rising from the water I am uniting in Christ's resurrection and entering my new life.

My old life is dead and buried; I am a new creation, living solely for Jesus.

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism? What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

I think when we do the act of baptism we are taking the first steps of surrender to Christ, that He is taking our sins to the cross and all that is being "Buried", we are being set free, free to live a life with Him. Christ was raised from the dead is what we are when we are washed with the water, lifted up from the submersion which ever way one is baptised we too are dead to sin, so we must walk in newness of life. :rolleyes:

In baptismI am letting my old man die, leaving behind my old self and my habits, looking to my Saviour and Lord for all. By rising Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. Rising from the water I rise in a new creature, in Christ Jesus my Lord.

2Corinthians 5:17

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Thankyou Lord for saving me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Paul uses the common experience of believers being baptized as a picture of being identified with Jesus Christ. Baptism expresses faith the wa word expresses an idea. There can be an idea without words, but normally they are expressed in words. Water baptism is a symbol of the spiritual unionof Christ and the believer. When a person trusts Christ, he or she is inforporated into, united to Jesus Christ and Christian baptism makes these spritual realities vivid. Jesus death becomes our death. Havind ddied and having been raised with Christ the believer should live a new kind of life.

• 3 weeks later...

When speaking of baptisms most people overlook the most important aspect. I say this is the most important not because it is my belief alone but also John's, as seen in this verse: "Mark 1:4.And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

5.The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

6.John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.

7.And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.

8.I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Jesus also refers to this more powerful baptism when he scolds the pharisees in Matt. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean." In the book of Jeremiah the Lord also makes referance to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, at least the result of being filled with the Holy Spirit Jeremiah 4:4."Circumcise yourselves to the Lord, circumcise your hearts, you men of Judah and people of Jerusalem, or my wrath will break out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done-- burn with no one to quench it."

Darrell

• 4 weeks later...

On the basis that, in referring to baptism, Paul is clearly talking about a baptism by total immersion, we are buried with Christ when the body goes under and is completely enveloped by the water. When the body is raised up above the surface of the water we are raised from the dead with Christ to live a new life in Christ and with Christ as our head.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

In Romans 6:3-4, Paul is refering to buried as meaning that our sins are being forgiven. In Romans 6:4b, he means that we are looking forward to living a new life without sin when we come up out of the water.

• 1 month later...

In the act of baptism, "buried" corresponds to "immersion." "Christ was raised from the dead" corresponds to rising out of the water.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Paul, when we go down into the water in baptism, it corresponds to being buried with Christ; coming up out of the water corresponds to Christ's being raised from the dead.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=801

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism?

ANS - Going down into the water in baptism symbolizes our identification with Christ in his death on the Cross and burial in the grave. It also represents our death to sin and the old life.

What does "Christ was raised from the dead" (6:4b) correspond to in baptism?

ANS - When we come up out of the water, it symbolizes Christ's resurrection from the grave, and also represents our rising to a new life in Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism?

Paul is referring to the act of immersion in water...to die and be buried with Christ Jesus, our Messiah.

Rising up out of the water is the resurrection with Christ Jesus, we died with Christ and are raised again in His likeness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a)When we come to the knowledge of Christ, then we begin to understand the work of the cross in a new sense. We begin to understand the death, the burial and resurrection works done through the cross. Just as He died, was buried and resurrected we to must be. Baptism symbolises/allows us to be in union with Christ in old sinful self being buried with Him in His death and being reborn into His resurrection with a new life with Him as our Head and us as His body. We may die as a natural woman, but our spirit will never die, our soul will (our mind, will and emotions) never die, we truly live forever as He lives. :)B) Publically we acknowledge to the world that we are one with Christ, we become fused with Him. We confess that Jesus is lord of our life, & also recognize what He has done on the cross and that our eternal life is now under the authority of our Heavenly Father. :D

2a)We are spiritually united with Christ in his death,our old life is buried & have continued to grow together with him-doctrine of mystical union. B)B) This states that we know we are sinners saved by grace, that we must have His mercy, and we must be forgiven. Jesus’ raising from the dead is symbolized in baptism by coming out of water, as in rising from the grave in resurrection, we become regenerated, born again, Alive in Christ. :D

Answer: Buried means,to die, something of the past,that no longer exists.

Christ was raised from the dead,means resurrection and victory over death,over all things that the enemy has binded man.When Adam turned over to satan the power that God has given him(Adam),during the fall,Jesus reclaim this power in his resurrection:

Rev 1:18- I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death

Matthew 28:18- And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

So the term Christ was raised from the dead is the Victory march of Jesus,from His resurrection to Ascension to heaven,victory over the enemy.—

Colossians 2:14-15- Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross [15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

- Buried corresponds to death. Being covered by the water in Baptism symbolizes death.

- Rising out of the water symbolizes resurrection.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. (Romans 6:3-4) In Paul's reference to baptism in 6:3-4, what does "buried" (6:4a) correspond to in the act of baptism?

In baptism when we are under the water, having been immersed, we are symbolically buried with Christ. Just as Jesus was buried in a tomb . . . in effect "covered" by the tomb, we are covered with water in the ceremony of baptism. In fact the flood in Noah's time has also been used in the New Testament as a kind of baptism where God cleansed the world. In this instance though, the baptism is linked to a washing away of sin. John's baptism was a symbolic washing away of sin.

When we are brought up out of the water of baptism we are symbolically rising from death with Jesus. In this way we are united with Him in His death and resurrection. Just as Jesus came out of the tomb "different" so we emerge from baptism different, in that we have died to sin and live in Christ. We were spiritually dead in our sins and we were made alive in Christ. We share in Christ's death and resurrection and our baptism is a symbol or that.