JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Independence vs. Slavery to Christ

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 6:18-22) In Paul's analogy in these verses, is there a place of independent freedom apart from "slavery" to sin or to Christ? Why do we long for this kind of independent freedom? Why do we hesitate to firmly take sides and make our allegiance clear to all?

1. No.... There is no place for independent freedom just as the text said. We can not afford to be independent of the Word of God or of God Himself. Like it was stated, we will either be a slave to satan or a slave belonging to the Lord Jesus and to our Heavenly Father which art in heaven.

2. We long for this kind of independent freedom for it brings life to our live. It keeps us independent of sin. It keeps us focus on living a righteous life and a good life. Who remembers what living a sinful life everyday was like. It is truly a bondage I can feel the hints of what it was like in thinking back on it and I must say...Glory To God Who Reins, You Are Holy And We All Cry Holy, Holy For You Are Holy, Oh God.

3. We hesitate because in living daily in His presence and walking daily by His word our mind set has taken on a righteous way of thinking and when encounter something different we have stall a moment, our brain has to say...what! So, we just present Christ and His word and we have announced that Christ is the way to a good life.

Romans 6:18-22, Yes there is a place of independent freedom apart from slavery"to sin or to Christ,It is impossible to be neutral.Every person has a master-either God or sin.We long for this kind of independent freedom,because we will no longer be a slave to sin.We belong to God.We are not perfect,but God loves us and has given us a new life with Him.

I know I should be faithful to God.It is my duty to be loyal to God.I know there are times I let Him down and not stand up to what I know is right.Then there are times I open up and start speaking out my thoughts that has been given to me.I believe as I learn more of Gods word, Holy Spirit will help me speak out when the times are right and to not hesitate.To be bold without fear.

Acts 4:29,Now, Lord,consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.

NIV~~Boldness requires courage to press on through our fears and do what we know is right.

I must look for opportunities to talk about Jesus,although there is rejection,social discomfort,and enbarracement ,not necessarily persecution.As I learn to start being bolder in small ways,the rest will come.

From Romans 6:18-22, from Paul's teaching, we are either slaves to sin (Satan) or to righteousnes (God). There is no other option. I choose to be a slave to my Lord God.

There is NO independent freedom apart from slavery to sin or to Christ.

Sometimes we may want to tread a middle course, (not too good and not too bad), but this is 'sitting on the fence and is something that the Lord despises.

I don't know why we hesitate so long before firmly taking sides and making our allegiance clear to all, but once we do decide, we feel the freedom of at last knowing who we are, and more important, To Whom We Belong.

Q5. (Romans 6:18-22) In Paul's analogy in these verses, is there a place of independent freedom apart from "slavery" to sin or to Christ? Why do we long for this kind of independent freedom? Why do we hesitate to firmly take sides and make our allegiance clear to all?

There is only slavery to Jesus or sin. Quite often we allow the devil to sucker us into the belief that we are free independent people and that sin doesn't exist.

We long for this 'freedom' because of pride. We will bow down to no one and be beholden to noone. No-one is going to tell us what to do. We are free thinking individuals.

I have hesitated to take sides primarily because I fail to trust God completely. If I hedge my bets then I will always have a way out if God fails me.

I am working on the trust issue with God, but it is a major struggle with me. I need to jump and know He will catch me.

There is not independent ground you are either a slave to God or a slave to satan and evil.

I believe we long for this independent freedom because in us we have an area where our self sinfull self

wants controll as does sin. We must remit our controll to that of God to be slaves of God to be able to

win and follow god and goodness.

We I believe hesitate to take sides because of the sinfull nature in us. We have a small area that does not

want to be fully controlled by God or by evil a place where we want some choice. and so we fight to be

fully slaves to God.

Either sin is our master or else Christ is our Master. There is no middle ground.

I think we long for this kind of independant freedom because we like to be the master of our own destiny. We like to believe we are independant and self sufficient.

I believe we hestitate to take sides and make our allegiance clear to all is because we fear commitment.

We fear we may not be making the right choice.

I don't believe there is a middle ground (a place of independent freedom apart from slavery to sin or slavery to Christ) or, in other words, a gray area. A longing for this type of independent freedom comes from a desire to follow our sinful nature yet also follow Christ, because choosing sides, getting off the fence, or being either hot or cold means making a commitment and following through.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no place for independent freedom apart from "slavery" to sin or to Christ. That is a lie from the father of lies. Our desire for freedom is something the father of lies can use to direct our eyes away from the Prince of Peace who brings healing, freedom (from lies) and righteousness on His wings. The only freedom there is is freedom from lies! When we operate in the Spirit of truth we are free. Freedom to choose the lies we will live under is no freedom at all, but chains our thinking and operations to those lies. Only Truth sets us free, and Jesus is "Faithful and True" (Revelation 19:11).

We long for this kind of independent freedom because we are still believing the lie that hooked Adam - "You will be like God". That is so foolish as we were made in the image of God in the first place, and while we are faithful to Him we are invested with His Name (the Name of Jesus) and dominion (authority). We have everything possible and impossible in Jesus. Without Him we are nothing but shameful dust.

We hesitate to firmly take sides because we hedge our bets and want a bit of both worlds, which is an impossibility. We live in the world but are not of it. We are "heavenly men and women", and must act according to our status. We must not operate in fear but in boldness and truth, for therein is our FREEDOM.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a part of us that wants to be in the middle. That way, we can act accordingly, with respect to whomever we are "hanging out with". This way, we don't have to worry about stepping on toes, and we can "cut loose-have fun"!

However, there is no middle with Christ. If we are really His, then we better be ready to tell the whole world, if necessary! For if we deny Him, then He will deny us. I don't want to be told, "Get away from Me-I don't know you"!

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Romans 6:18-22) In Paul's analogy in these verses, is there a place of independent freedom apart from "slavery" to sin or to Christ?

No, we are either a slave to God or a slave to sin.

Why do we long for this kind of independent freedom?

We all want to be independent and think we want to do things our way.

Why do we hesitate to firmly take sides and make our allegiance clear to all?

It

• 3 weeks later...

There is not a place of independent freedom. You either serve sin or Christ. Mankind must yield to Christ there is no other way to have victory over sin. Human efforts are futile they will not work. Humankind really wants to hold on to some of the desires of the flesh and therefore are not ready to fully commit to Christ. It is a sad state to be in.

It is true that many want to believe the lie that we are our own god and masters of our own destiny. We like taking credit for our blessings. It is also apparent that if we do not take a firm stand, we can commit some sins without feeling guilty or unrighteous. Who has ever heard a person say, "Well, I'm a pretty good person; I'm not a murderer!" It is a lie; Satan knows that if he can get us to believe that, it is his win. The truth is we either want to serve good or evil. It is the scenario that will play out in the time that was appointed to do so. God will give us every opportunity to choose Christ, who so selflessly came down so we had a way back to Him. If we really believe that it is good or evil, we are accountable to stay on a narrow path. Narrow is the road that leads to righteousness.

• 2 months later...

Rom 6:18 And since you have been freed from sin, you have become slaves of righteousness.

Rom 6:19 I am speaking in human terms because of the frailty of your flesh. Just as you once offered the parts of your body as slaves to impurity and to greater and greater disobedience, so now, in the same way, you must offer the parts of your body as slaves to righteousness that leads to sanctification.

Rom 6:20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free as far as righteousness was concerned.

Rom 6:21 What benefit did you get from doing those things you are now ashamed of? For those things resulted in death.

Rom 6:22 But now that you have been freed from sin and have become God's slaves, the benefit you reap is sanctification, and the result is eternal life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in union with Christ Jesus our Lord.

There is no independant freedom for man as either he chooses to follow the dark or the light...he cant have it both ways. Humans long for this as they want to be the one to choose what they do apart from anything else. We want to be the writers of our own destiny, our lives, our final destination. We hesitate to make the choice because we are afraid of what the future holds. We are afraid we might lose out on the "fun" of life. We hate to deny ourselves of desires.

• 1 month later...

According to v. 22 "But now you have been set from sin and have become slaves to God..." there is no room, no hiatus, no holiday or special permission to be off sinning. It says that we have been set from sin, from its power, control, dominion, slavery and have become slaves to God. A slave is obedient to his master. So then if I am no longer slave to sin but to God my actions should match what God desires and expect from me. Paul says that before we belonged to God we were free in regard to righteousness and went about presenting my members as instruments of unrighteousness BUT now I belong to God and He is my Master and I must present my members as instruments of righteousenss to Him and for His service.

I believe that we long for this independent freedom because we, consciously or unconciously, still desire to partake of a sinful lifestyle. I have not realized the total freedom from sin OR still want to dab into in as if I can just spend time in it and not be affected by it. I am either being deceived to believe that is ok or choosing willingly to put myself under its dominion. The heart is deceitful...so by my own desires like James says I am driven away from obedience to my new Master and succumb into obedience to the old one.

We hesitate to make our allegiance to God clear because I am perhaps afraid to fail and that others will mock me, or perhaps I am not totally convinced that I am free from sin and fear that I will fall for it again.

May God be gracious to all and show us how trully we can walk victoriously in Him and part once and for all from a habitual sinful lifestyle!

• 3 weeks later...

There is no independent middle ground; we cannot serve both God and mammon. Our master is God or Satan, you are on one side of the net or the other.

We long for independent freedom because we are human and want to control our lives.

Taking a stand for God and the gospel means alienation from many in the world. It means we may not be liked or looked upon as a pariah by non-believers. Nevertheless, we do. Every verse of scripture we read, every church service we attend, including participation in this study affirms our beliefs. It is hard at times to stand up; but we must.

:rolleyes: Q5. (Romans 6:18-22) In Paul's analogy in these verses, is there a place of independent freedom apart from "slavery" to sin or to Christ? Why do we long for this kind of independent freedom? Why do we hesitate to firmly take sides and make our allegiance clear to all?

Notice that our freedom from the slavery of sin is not absolute in this analogy. We are slaves of the one we obey, whether slaves of sin or slaves of God, by obeying him. There is no free middle ground where we are independent. We must choose -- one side or the other. As humans, we desire to be in charge or control without the need to obey. We may hesitate to frimly take sides and make our allegiance clear to all is there will be times we will sin. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

No I do not think so. You either are a slave to Christ or to sin. There is no being apart or independent freedom. Oh one may take time off from worship, or church or bible reading, or studying Gods Word, but you are not free to do as you would like, after all if you are following Christ you do not want to free to do the other as it is wrong. What is there you cannot do with Christ that you would need to be free of Him, other then sin!I personally do not long for this freedom or hesitate to make my allegiance known, but untill you surrender to Christ you want to be in control aand making it known whom you serve will alienate you from the world. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

When I thought I was free, the Jesus was able to show me that I was a slave to sin and my wages where to be death.

I have no more any interest in living outside the guidance and grace of my Saviour.

I

• 2 weeks later...

I can only have one of two masters satan or God. There is no middle ground.

I think our problem is our need to be in control of ourselves. It took me a long time to trust Jesus. It's only now that I know that I could always have trusted Him if only I had bothered to talk to Him and get to know Him.

God is dealing with me with my Egyptian Attitude. I have a bad trick of looking back and seeing how much easier life was before I became a christian.

I know my life is so much more worthwhile but I still hesitate because of the unknown element of surrender to a God I can't see.

Praise God for His patience, grace and mercy. I am learning that He is the friend by my side, the reality I live by, the God I worship. He is my beginning and end, all I need for all of my needs.

The shame is it took 21 years to know that

• 2 months later...

Referring back to the bumper sticker mentality that Ralph referenced the other day, I believe we often don't take sides in this culture because the church itself encourages this behavior. My early years as a Christian were very heavily influenced by the "just pray this prayer" philosophy. Introduce the Four Spiritual Laws to someone, "get them" to pray the prayer, and voila--whew--you're done! In fact, I even heard more than one person try to convince someone to pray the prayer by explaining that you don't have to ever do anything different, that the prayer "covers" you, since salvation is a free gift. I remember thinking for many years I was fine as long as I didn't get drunk or have premarital sex. But the rest of my life, the worry, the bitterness, the gossip, all the "innocent" sins, looked the same. I had never heard of this teaching in Romans and resisted any such "radical" transformation for fear of turning into some kind of fanatic. It was all about getting into heaven and not doing anything too egregious. Definitely not a focus on victory and freedom!