JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mediator and Ransom

Re: Mediator & Ransom - Jesus said 6 “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6). This both clarifies and supports His role as mediator between believers and the Father. As such, it is an important distinction that while He was sinless and blameless, that He was man incarnate. He was tempted by all things as we are - not specific sins per se - but even sins of self-righteousness, works-righteousness, pride etc. He has a unique position to speak to the Father and plead on our behalf, for He knows our plight, He knows our hearts, in which there is no good thing.

I also believe that a distinction must be made when speaking of ransom (substitution). I cannot help but think on His prayer in the garden of Gethsemene, in knowing and seeing God's plan in full, in knowing the cost, and still being able to follow through. For no matter the physical pain and torment He would endure, it was nothing compared to the one thing that He cried out about. In bearing "the pains of hell" which in it's essense is eternal separation from God's spirit (which is so aptly described in Like 16:24 "So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire." The fire spoken of here is the fire of God's righteous judgement, and hell being that fire forever without even a drop of mercy.

So then, when Christ called out "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?' -- which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46) - He was calling out, in those moments that He was separated from God's holy spirit. It is not the physical suffering that saves us, but His actual substitution (ransom) in taking our literal places in hell.

This begs the distinction that He did not know the whole plan. Why else would He sweat blood? Because in that moment in the Garden, and on the cross, the Father was requiring perfect faith and obedience. I don't think that Jesus Christ knew the whole of what was to happen prior to His prayer in the Garden. And I don't believe it was the physical torments that He was afraid of - the very real torment was His separation - therefore his role as Lamb of God, and Ransom Paid.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Timothy 2:5-6) In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom? In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

Paul is teaching that no man can come to God in any other way. A mediator is a go-between, a middleman who can stand between two and communicate with both. Through Christ, Himself man, God is enabled to approach men with forgiveness of sins. Consequently any poor sinner can approach Him, and will by no means be rejected.

Paul identifies the Mediator as the Man, Jesus Christ. This does not deny the deity of the Lord Jesus. In order to be the Mediator between God and men, Jesus must be both God and Man. The Lord Jesus is God from all eternity, but He became Man in Bethlehem's manger. Jesus represents the whole race of humanity. The fact that He is both God and Man is indicated in the name Christ Jesus. Christ describes Him as God's anointed One, the Messiah. Jesus is the name given to Him in Incarnation. There is only one Mediator and His name is Christ Jesus.

The emphasis is on the fact that God desires the salvation of all men. Jesus gave Himself a ransom for all. A ransom is a price paid to release or set another free. The ransom is for all. This means that the work of the Lord Jesus Christ on Calvary's cross was sufficient to save all sinners. It does not mean that all will be saved, since man's will is involved. Christ died for all of humanity.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 Timothy 2:5-6) In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom? In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

I believe Paul was stressing the fact that Jesus paid the price for our redemption and because of that no one can go to the Father but through Him (Christ). Jesus was crucified, died, was buried, rose again, ascended into heaven...(He paid a ransom) and is seated at the right hand of the Father...(as Mediator).

"Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 16:4

• 2 months later...

2a)Paul encouraged Timothy to emphasise for Ephesians, so it was clear to everyone,that salvation for all,is not based on mere words of Jesus negotiating the forgiveness of our sins,but by Christ Jesus(God in flesh)&fully man’s action.He stood in the gap between us&God since Adam&Eve sinned,none other than Jesus could secure for all our forgiveness&salvation.

b)Christ Jesus dying on cross&rising again(resurrection) was the perfect,sinless substitute sacrifice necessary for the forgiveness of  our sins.Therefore stressing his dual role mediating with,pleading for us with God the father,and paying the costly ransom for our forgiveness.He died so that we may live life to the full.

• 8 years later...

Paul puts emphasis on the fact that we as normal humans have come to a point, and were always going to get there , where we could do nothing anymore ourselves to get in right standing with God, and we were at the point of no return in our relationship with Him, unless we could reconciliate is some way. This "way" was only through His Son Jesus Christ.

When we are in a situation in our lives , at work, or personally where we need a mediator to resolve the issue, and then still have to pay a ransom to settle, it is pretty tarnished and ugly. If somebody with authority , knowledge , understanding and empathy, ( and in Gods case love), does it on your behalf, and even covers the debt on your  behalf, WOW, thank you Jesus!

And that is how he fulfilled these roles, by dying for us and doing both these actions in mediating and settling the debt.

• 1 year later...

Salvation of men cannot be a matter of selfish indifference.   Apostle Paul was no Unitarian Universalist; there is the universality of the Divine good will for man's salvation only through Christ Jesus.

Apostle Paul wants to exclude the Gnostics emphasis on mediation of angels and gnostic mythological stories.   The Ephesians came from such a gnostic background; and Apostle Paul didn't want these new converts to go back to such fables. Christ the Mediator was was man as well as God.   Christ is the New Adam, the Head of humanity, the new Man, the Lord from heaven, able to restore the lost relationship between God and man.

It was strictly due to the death of Jesus Christ that all the blessings of redemption came forth.  Christ voluntarily gave Himself to be the Victim.  Apostle Paul taught that Christ is the Messiah who had obtained from the Father the heritage of both Jews and Gentiles

• 4 months later...

In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom? In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

In a way, a mediator and a ransom are concepts that point in opposing directions. A mediator, such as a diplomat, tries to find common ground and minimize differences between the two parties. A ransom is done when the differences are too great, a bridge has to be created, and this is the only way to get to the other side.

Perhaps Paul is emphasizing the mediator so we realize the degree to which Christ put Himself between us and God. He stepped in to mediate and didn't leave us separated, forever, from God. Yet He accomplished this by being Himself our ransom, paying for our sins with His blood because mediation alone was insufficient. 

Lately, I've been reading the Message translation of the bible. Here is our verse: 

that there's one God and only one, and one Priest-Mediator between God and us - Jesus,

6 who offered himself in exchange for everyone held captive by sin, to set them all free. Eventually the news is going to get out.

Interestingly, Jesus is called a Priest-Mediator which takes us out of the legal realm and into the sacrificial realm, which is often how we think of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. 

This is a very thought provoking set of scriptures.  Mediator, to me, implies one who is appointed/approved and given the authority to hammer out an agreement. This is not someone who petitioned God/gods.  He was in a league of His own! It implies God listened to his arguments as would mankind.

Ransom, or rather substitute ransom is also powerful.  It implies that Jesus had accepted the agreement with god that if He died, then He would pay the price for all mankind.  HIs death was all encompassing through all time (both history and future) and God had agreed to that. Knowing that God was just and unwavering, and that He required a judgment because God must be consistent, Jesus took this on.

It gives me a sense of wonder sometimes to realize the strength and devotion that both God and Jesus have toward us all.  Jesus was no petitioner hoping for the goodwill of God.  Knowing that this was complete, it opens the door to all people in all walks of life and beliefs to obtain eternal salvation.  We no longer need to rely on our own efforts.

Paul emphasized the role of Mediator and Ransom in the context of the salvation of all because he wanted to show that it was Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, and not any other who secured salvation for mankind. As 'mediator,' Jesus stands between God and man to reconcile man to God. His death on the cross was a substitution act, a 'ransom' for man.

Q2. (1 Timothy 2:5-6) In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom?

ANSWER: Through His humanity, He became our mediator, effectively bridging the gap between our fallen state and God's holiness. The pivotal statement "who gave himself as a ransom for all" encapsulates the heart of the Gospel message. This pronouncement speaks directly to our understanding of Christ's sacrificial act on the cross. Also, this reaffirms the reality that Jesus' sacrifice was not a hasty or arbitrary event but a meticulously planned act that corresponds with God's sovereign timing.

To conclude, 1 Timothy 2:5-6 encapsulates the heart of the Gospel message. that there is one God and one mediator, Jesus Christ. These verses bring us into the very essence of our faith journey. They invite us to embrace the uniqueness of God, the humanity of Christ, and the redemptive power of His sacrifice. We are reminded that through Christ's mediation, we are granted access to God's grace, forgiveness, and eternal love. Paul reminds us of the one Mediator between God and humanity, Jesus Christ. This statement emphasizes the exclusivity of Christ as the way to salvation, reinforcing what Jesus Himself taught in John 14:6. It reminds us that salvation cannot be obtained through any other means or rituals.

In what way did Christ fulfill both the roles [Mediator and Ransom]?

ANSWER: Jesus, God the Son, is the Mediator, who gave Himself as a Ransom to take us to God the Father.

• The role of Jesus as a Mediator:…As the mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ fulfills and unifies three offices: prophet, by which we are given necessary knowledge; priest, by which we are forgiven and justified resulting in reconciliation; king, by which we have our enmity removed and are subdued to the gracious rule of Christ.
  • Jesus give His life as a Ransom:…The theory teaches that the death of Christ was a ransom sacrifice, usually said to have been paid to Satan, in satisfaction for the bondage and debt on the souls of humanity as a result of inherited sin.

Q2. Jesus is both our Mediator and Our Ransom. Jesus , mediated between God and man. He went much further for us He  didn’t just negotiate on our behalf He also became the ransom. Jesus was the the only one good enough to appease the wrath of the Father, Jesus was the only sinless person in existence and the only one who could ransom us by taking our place and becoming our ransom. Because Jesus loved us so much He was prepared to give up the splendour of heaven and come down to earth, with just one purpose in mind. That purpose was to die on a cross so there could be reconciliation between us and God. However we have free will He will never force us to follow Him. This is a decision each one must make for themselves.

Mankind was separated from God through sin but God so loved the world that He sent His Son to bring them back to Him . Jesus fulfilled this  by paying the price of redemption thus  reconciling mankind to God . Jesus became the mediator to bring peace back between men and God thus being the mediator with his sacrificial death . 

Jesus as my mediator stood between a righteous and holy God and a sinner like me, who deserved punishment and would be destined to spend eternity in hell. My sin demanded a blood sacrifice as payment. Jesus paid the ransom for my sins by offering His perfect, sinless body, for crucifixion on a Roman cross. Taking not only my sins but the sins of all mankind; past, present and future. 

Paul is emphasizing these terms Mediator and Ransom to clearly articulate the depth of love that God has for us. Christ became a Mediator between God and us as we were deep in sin but negotiated on our behalf that God should not wipe out mankind. The ransom had to be paid through Calvary where the One who knew no sin became a sinner so that we may be the righteousness of God. The ransom had to be paid so that our sins not only be forgiven but also be forgotten.

Christ took the fall and thought of us above all. He is God and He had to leave all His Kingship in order to save a wretch like me. He had to reconcile us back to God otherwise we were to face eternal death. Him forgiving our sins is not a temporary measure but permanent as we are now called the children of God.

Q2. (1 Timothy 2:5-6) In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom?

A mediator is someone who speaks on behalf of two parties to help settle any disagreements between both and come to a favorable agreement on behalf of both parties.

In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

Jesus acts as our mediator with God in our behalf. Jesus who brings reconciliation He does this when we sin again God. God paid a huge price for His Son Jesus as a ransom on the Cross for the redemption of our sins. A one time sacrifice.

*I think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator & Ransom in the context of salvation because they had been long predicted that Christ would come & assume the roles 

*Christ fulfilled the roles of Mediator & Ransom by dying as man's substitute on the cross &thereafter becoming the mediator between man & God,thereby reconciling us to him(God)

Q2. (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom?

So that they may know the process of salvation. Before they receive salvation they must know our LORD JESUS CHRIST has reconcile us back to FATHER GOD, there for HE speaks on our behalf with FATHER GOD. The price is also fully paid HE was the ransom. 

In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

Through CHRIST's death, give his life as a ransom for many.

God has given the price to set free the prisoner, or sparing the forfeited so that they can live. Jesus Christ is the ONE MEDIATOR between God and all men, by whom ALONE men can come to the Father, and gave Himself a ransom for all. Christ himself referred to being as a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:45).

Christ is the divine Substitute and Messiah who has obtained the from the Father ...all families and nations of the earth, both Jews and Gentiles. Christ is the New Adam, He is the head of humanity. Christ's divine nature operated in Christ's priestly work.  Gnostic mediators of angels is excluded.  The Ephesians were in danger of accepting mediators that would take away from the High priest Jesus Christ in the order of Melchizedek.

A2.

Paul emphasis on the role of Mediator and Ransom was to show how awesome the privilege of being saved and delivered from the penalty of sin by the sinless Lord Jesus Christ who surrender his own life in exchange of mine and others so that I and others may have eternal live.   Hallelujah. 

Q2. (1 TIMOTHY 2:5-6)

In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom? In what way did Christ fulfil both these roles?

Paul was given the task of announcing the gospel to the Gentiles – to the whole world. And the fact that God desires all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth, coupled with the fact that we are separated from our God by sin, and need a Saviour, was the reason Paul urges that we pray for all people. The Good News had to be told – there is only one way to be saved, and this was by the one God who is God of all. For this to happen there had to be a mediator who would act as a middleman between a holy God and sinful man. There was also a price to be paid, a ransom, to release us from the slavery to sin. Christ is the only one who can fulfil both these rolls. Jesus is the only mediator that exists between both God and man. This is because He is both God and man and represents both sides equally. Way back, Job wished for a mediator between him and God, “If only there were someone to arbitrate between us, to lay His hand upon us both” (Job 9:33). But God also demands justice - a ransom has to be paid. For all those who put their faith in Jesus, the work of our Lord Jesus on Calvary's cross was the ransom God would accept. His substitutionary death was sufficient to save all sinners. The penalty was paid. Of course, this does not mean that all will be saved, since our will is also involved. Only those who repent and put their faith in Jesus as Savour are saved.

1. Paul emphasizes again there is one God and one mediator between God and man, which is Christ Jesus. Paul reaffirms that Christ came that all might be saved.

2. Christ’s blood was the price for our sins to be cleansed. He laid down his life for us so that we could be reconciled to God.

We needed to be rescued from our sin in this world and translated to the kingdom of light. A mediator can operate in both dimensions like that.

Ransom means although salvation is free for everyone, it cost a lot to offer that free gift which was Jesus body crucified.

• 1 month later...

Q2. In the context of the salvation of all, why do you think Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator and Ransom? In what way did Christ fulfill both these roles?

When sin entered the world through the fall of man we became enemies of God. Being separated from God we needed redemption for our sins.

Paul emphasizes the roles of Mediator because we couldn't save ourselves and therefore needed an arbitrator, a 'go between' to reconcile the two parties God and humanity.

Not only did Jesus mediate between us, He offered Himself as a Ransom, a sacrifice for us.

Christ fulfilled both roles by offering to die for our sins. He that knew no sin, took our place and died on the cross of Calvary by shedding His blood.

He gave His life as a random for many. Mark 10:45.