JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 Timothy 6:6) Why should we seek contentment? Doesn't contentment keep us from trying to get ahead so our families can have what they need? What's the balance between contentment and the quest for improvement?

We should seek contentment to keep peace of mind and peace within your spirit. Contentment keeps us from becoming greedy, and we live the way God wants us to live. God will provide what our family needs. If it is his will that we live a wealthy life then He expects us to use our wealth to help someone in need. The balance between contentment and improvement is our dependence on God.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 Timothy 6:6) Why should we seek contentment? Doesn't contentment keep us from trying to get ahead so our families can have what they need? What's the balance between contentment and the quest for improvement?

Chrristianity is build on the basis of contentment. Contentment is not competition or having to steal to survive. Is about totally surrendering to God and His word. The balance is faith.

• 1 month later...

Well, obviously, Paul didn't let his contentment stop him from achieving his goals and spreading the gospel. I think that if we are content with what we have, it frees us up to achieve more. If we are constantly worried about money, constantly seeking to improve our financial situation, we can't concentrate on other things. We can't concentrate on what's really important. Of course, we need to try to take care of our families and prepare for financial emergencies. We need to be responsible with the money that God has given us and do our best to prepare for the future, but all of our best laid plans can go astray. If we are content, we can concentrate our energies and efforts on the things that are greater than having more than enough. I think Paul means contentment as personal contentment with our own situation, not contentment with the world situation. Paul didn't allow his contentment to stop his mission.

• 1 month later...

If we keep our focus on God, he will give us blessings beyond our wildest imaginations. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God..." was my grandson's favorite bible verse when he saved and baptized at 6 years old. There's nothing more important than that. God will provide and we will be content if we do that.

• 3 months later...

We should seek contentment because it shows that we have placed our care in the hands of God and are willing to abide by His provision. Contentment doesn't keep us from trying to get ahead so that our families can have what they need, in fact, the only thing that will happen is a drawing away from a complete dependency upon God to provide the needs for the family. The balance between contentment and the quest for improvement is found in Psalms 37:4-5(KJV), "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."

• 3 weeks later...

I think contentment is inner peace and only God can give you that. No I don't think it will keep us from getting ahead. Look at Paul, he is a good example God will provide what we need. He is Jehova Jirah our provider. Our main quest should be to put God first and then all things will be added.

We should trust God for the meeting of our needs. He knows what is good for us and what we need to do his will. Balance is found when he is the center of our lives. Many still operate out of a focus on self.

• 3 months later...

If we are bringing God into our lives daily, we will have contentment (I do, anyways). And if we try to follow God's will for our lives, we will improve; He guides us to the purpose he has for us and letting Him use us for his purpose is the peak of improvement.

• 1 month later...

I see "CONTENTMENT" as being something that takes us beyond self-sufficiency to a place where we are confident of God's faithfulness - that He will supply our every need - and where we have become so satisfied or settled in this confident trust in Him that our efforts and energies are involved in growing closer and stronger in Him as opposed to trying to sufficient in ourselves. . .

"CONTENTMENT" - God will always supply our need based on His character and attributes (Omnipotence - Omnipresence - Omniscience) - there is no outside source or circumstance that has the ability o prevent Him from doing as He has promised. . .

"OUR QUEST FOR IMPROVEMENT" - there are outside sources and circumstances that can - and many time do - prevent us from acquiring what we need or retaining what we have acquired. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

-We seek contentment because is great gain, and the bible re commend us to be content so for fulfilling the will of God we must seek for contentment. Contentment free us and

gave us to trust God.

-No contentment does not keep us from trying to get ahead so our families can have what they need, but gave us the opportunity to prosper in good way of God.

-The balance is Contentment pleas God and is the will of God but the quest for improvement bring someone to be lake the pagans live.

"For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly

Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and

his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as

well." (Matthew 6:32-33)

• 4 months later...

People who are content are happy people.if I am content in my life then I am not running around trying to find something to fill me with contentment. Knowing that Jesus is a part of my life fills me with contentment. If I am trying to improve my life then I am trying to better my situation and I am sure that self-improvement is good for everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

While we can strive to improve our lot by continuing education or training for better work positions, we should also learn to accept our lives as they are, allowing ourselves to be happy in our current state too.

If we are happy with ourselves, happy with our families, and happy with our friends, we can be "content" with our present condition. But we can also look for improvement in our abilities, and, perhaps, a higher salary would follow. But if it doesn't, we can still improve our work skills so that we can do a better job, or work more efficiently, etc.

• 11 months later...

Why should we seek contentment?

We must focus on God. We must know that what God wants for us is far far better than anything we can dream of, but God's plans are spiritual, not material. Trust God, any you will see wonderful things happen in your life. 1st you must have faith, and then experiance Him in your life. As you experiance Him more and more, the contentment comes on its own, but it comes from faith.

Doesn't contentment keep us from trying to get ahead so our families can have what they need? What's the balance between contentment and the quest for improvement?

No, contentment doesnt keep you back. God wants what is best for you. Be obedient to God, do what God instructs you to do, and you will move foreward anyway.

• 9 months later...

Paul is speaking of contentment with one's circumstances. One cannot always change one's circumstances. So, to be godly and be content with one's circumstance is to live and serve God fully within that circumstance with complete focus. If one cannot focus where one is at then one cannot be effective in the service of God.

Circumstances change throughout time due to career advancements, or set backs, new ministry assignments, pay raises -- normal changes in life. Natural advancement is a part of life that comes with hard work, prayer, and persistence. It shouldn't be our obessession because that causes one to turn their eyes away from God.

Natural career or job progression is a part of taking care of one's family. However, it should be a part of our relationship with God and in our mission to serve and honor Him. Our vocational advancement should be partnership with God's plan for our life. God does bless them that serve Him in order for them to carry out one's service to God, which includes providing for a family.

The balance is that a Christian seeks first the Kingdom of God and everything else will fall into place. That is what Jesus Christ taught.

• 4 months later...

2a)If seek contentment,we have peace in our hearts.We are learning to be satisfied with our circumstances,getting our priorities right,desiring Him only.Seeing how God is providing for us each day,food,clothing,roof over head,rather than not noticing how God provides for us.
B) No,contentment helps us to trust God will provide enough for what families need, being grateful for everything,rather than straining for more costly things that don’t bring true happiness.Seeing their joy in things of life provided for us bringing peace,real happiness&contentment.
c)Balance is praying for God’s help when deciding about a purchase.The less we expect,the more we receive.God knows when we have sufficient.When we are in the centre of God’s will, our priorities become His priorities.Even when we think we don’t have enough,we can look at our lives &see at the blessings all around us.Our inner resources of spiritual riches far beyond that which earth can offer, peace with God, spiritual joy, and assurance of salvation. Knowing that: ...in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

2a)If seek contentment,we have peace in our hearts.We are learning to be satisfied with our circumstances,getting our priorities right,desiring Him only.Seeing how God is providing for us each day,food,clothing,roof over head,rather than not noticing how God provides for us.
B) No,contentment helps us to trust God will provide enough for what families need, being grateful for everything,rather than straining for more costly things that don’t bring true happiness.Seeing their joy in things of life provided for us bringing peace,real happiness&contentment.
c)Balance is praying for God’s help when deciding about a purchase.The less we expect,the more we receive.God knows when we have sufficient.When we are in the centre of God’s will, our priorities become His priorities.Even when we think we don’t have enough,we can look at our lives &see at the blessings all around us.Our inner resources of spiritual riches far beyond that which earth can offer, peace with God, spiritual joy, and assurance of salvation. Knowing that: ...in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

• 1 year later...

I think Paul's view of contentment is essentially the peace of God.

Absence of fear or worry.  Complete trust in God.

Should we strive?  Paul says we should perservere in becoming more and more like Jesus.

Paul is hardly one to imply that contentment means not working to take care of our families - or to expect others to take care of us when we should be taking care of ourselves.  He is the one who said "he who does not work, does not eat."

• 8 years later...

Our God is El-Shaddai...all sufficient!  Though St Paul was in prison, his mind was on God...God is All in All. He didn't aimed at hidden agendas, nor filthy lucre.  The false teachers of his time had hidden agendas based on doctrines of demons.  

We are to aim for the best for ourselves and our families but being content what God gives us.   We cannot allow the world, the flesh and the devil to detour us from firm devotion to Christ.   St Paul's former companions were enamored with other things contrary to the preaching of the Cross.

Balance is resting in Christ at all times despite contrary circumstances.   Man purposes but God disposes.  We do what we can; however, we must be content for our daily blessings as God's deems fit.

• 3 months later...

Some of us are happiest when striving and improving -- I know I am --  a grrrr of contentment comes from making progress, which, I suppose is a sort of self-validating pat-on-the-back sense of doing His will. I never measure progress in dollars/pounds/Euros but  rather in more abstract ways, such as pages written or projects completed. 

But this question has to do with pursuing money or wealth, not other sorts of accomplishments, and, again, I'm not sure I can answer it very well.

I know many bond brokers (unfortunately!) who quantify their success in dollars or pounds. For them, money = accomplishment. For them, money is a metric, a way of measuring their accomplishments not the accomplishment itself. Their accomplishment is selling debt. That's what they do. The money they make is a measure of the success they have at selling debt. So, perhaps in certain occupations it's logical to measure success using money as a metric??

Most of us get paid obliquely. When I do well at what I do, I don't get paid more. In fact, I get paid the same whether I work very hard or moderately hard. Thus, the motivation I have to make money is internal. It comes from my sense of accomplishing what I am put on earth to do -- my calling.  We are called to do whatever is around us at this moment. We can strive to do more, or do better, but our calling is our circumstances. So if we do well at our circumstances, if we work hard at accomplishing our calling, then we should be content.

I see no logical break, then, between contentment and the quest for being our best and improving. IN fact, I see the two working together.

If God chooses to bless me financially so that my labor and quest for excellence is rewarded in this way, then I'll be wealthier. If not, I'll have enough. In both I can be contented.

---

I just want to say that it's difficult to be contented when meals are scarce and bills can't be paid. A minimal level of provision has to exist for contentment to be possible. THat's what provision is -- it's the minimum required to do our calling. God only promises provision. He may graciously give us more ... or not. So, it's an act of faith to believe in this minimal provision.

How provision is defined is between each Christian and God. But whatever one decided is the minimum, the faith to believe that God will provide our bare provision must grow, and as it grows, contentment simultaneously grows.

I hope that made sense.  My thinking is fuzzy today.

• 2 weeks later...

“Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6). 

Contentment is gratitude, finding joy in what God has given to you. The opposite of contentment is greed which destroys your capacity to enjoy what God has given.

Contentment is a Believers grace that grows over time. It does not come quickly, easily or naturally. Paul says “I have learned to be content” (Philippians 4:12).

A Believer comes to contentment, not so much by way of addition as by way of subtraction… Contentment does not come by adding to what you have, but by subtracting from what you desire.

The world says that you will find contentment when your possessions rise to meet the level of your desires… The Believer has another way to contentment, that is, he can bring his desires down to his possessions. Amen 

Q2. (1 Timothy 6:6)

Why should we seek contentment?

If you seek contentment, that means you are satisfied with the supply FATHER GOD has supplied you with.

Doesn't contentment keep us from trying to get ahead so our families can have what they need?

No, if GOD knows to feed the birds of the sky how much more HIS children and families.

What's the balance between contentment and the quest for improvement?

With contentment you are satisfied with what you have, quest for improvement is that you what to exceed your present situation.

A2.

We should seek contentment because the Word of God instructed us to.

However, contentment does not means we cannot do better than where we are. We can expand our production for example, as long as what we do and how we do to be better financially would glorify the Lord. Such expansion that is Godly done can bring employment to the children of God and leads to higher offerings and tithes.

I suppose we should be content when our needs are met. There is no wrong to want improvement for better conditions of life. Jesus did not say to reject wealth but love of money is the root of all evil. Seeking means to satisfy the “wants” is the danger .

I disagree with some who would also promote the opposite of this scripture;  that is, be content in living in poverty.  The follow up to this is the advise to focus not on how you live here, but focus on how you will live in heaven.  This is equally unbalanced.

Presently, as in Timothy's time, the advice was to give perspective.  God is with us always, day by day and the love of money and the focus on obtaining and keeping more is wrong.  To strive for amassing wealth alone, is always distorted.  We need to be content knowing that God the Father loves us and watches over us.  We need to be aware that we are to manage his resources well.  whatever we have, we are to tithe it for use in the kingdom (again, hearkening back to Matthew 6:33).  I guess the balance is that in whatever circumstance we currently are, we are to be content in what God provides and to continue to seek His kingdom first.  I don't see anywhere specifically that it says to STAY in the bad circumstances which always change.  Contentment doesn't keep us from trying to get ahead, per se.  Trying to get ahead alone is thinking from a worldly perspective.  If we manage resources well as we are charged, go out into the world as ambassadors trusting God, using resources for His work and ourselves to His righteousness opportunities and connections will be made to suit His purposes without limiting ourselves.