JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Cowardice and Shame

There has been times when it was easier to just walk away than confront someone. I am not one for confrontations. But I guess that would go in the fear and cowardice category. The antidote would be to trust and have faith in Jesus to give us the words to say. We have to examine ourselves and admit where we are failing God to combat the cowardice and shame.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

Cowardice and shame may have kept me from identifying myself as a Christian on occasions when the audience seemed to be at a higher social or academic caliber and not wanting to appear that I was not at their level or being put on the spot to defend my faith.

According to verse 12, Paul said that the antidote for cowardice and shame is knowing in whom we believe, and being convinced that He is able to guard what we have entrusted to Him for that day.

We combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves by operating not in the flesh but in the Spirit and allowing the Spirit of God to operate in us.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

Unfortunately, there has been many times that I have been guilty of this. It was only when I truly devoted myself to him by fully counting the cost that I was able to reverse these actions. It is a total trust in him and his word that changed me from a wishy washy hypocrite to someone who humbled himself to truly receive his grace.

• 3 months later...

I see cowardice when I don't say "how" I get through certain things by replying "with God's help". If I am talking with a known Christian, I have no problem talkng about God's grace and help; if I am not sure or know someone isn't very religious, I might skirt around my answer. This is an area God is helping me to grow in.

• 4 weeks later...

There have been many times in the past during a conversation someone will say some derogatory things about Christianity or Jesus and I will keep silent.I know this is wrong and signs of cowardice.I think I do this is because I don't want to create friction and lose a friend.This is due to weak faith and the way to remedy this is to spend more time with the Lord and his Word.The Bible said "if you are friend with the world,you are an enemy of God.I have now tried to socialize with non-believers and fellowship more with people of the same faith.

• 4 weeks later...

There have been occasions in the past that I have repented of - and have cast out of my memory - however, in the resent past and not so distant past I have stood firmly on my fellowship and association with Christ and have taken full advantage of opportunities to share Christ with others. . .

According to verse 12 the antidote for cowardice and shame is faith in God and the confidence in His promises that they will manifest in our lives - He will keep us and receive us unto Himself at His return. . .

I combat the tendency to be afraid or ashamed through faith in God and in Hie Word - He promised that He would not leave or forsake me - that He would be with me always and in all situations. . . Romans 5:1-5 (KJV)

1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

B)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I recently got saved, I used to feel quite ashamed and afraid of doing things for the Lord. Actually I think I was more concerned about what people might say. I remember this one particular occasion where we were having a crusade. I was told to sing a song with other members of course. But I was really frightened because we were having the crusade basically in my village and well people knew me. Now they would know that I am a christian. However that is not the case now, I sing, dance and do things for the Lord in front of anyone.The antidote for cowardice and shame is to know whom I have believed.

We combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves by believing and trusting in Jesus, and realizing that He is able to guard what we have entrusted to him for that day.

• 1 year later...

Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion?

At the company where i work we are not allowed to receive or sent any christian material. A while back i was told that I must see work as my God, because that is where the money comes from, I made it clear that I am 1st a Christian, but later felt ashamed that I didn't speak out must more.

From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves? Power we receive from the Spirit. We must show courage and speak out, be obedient.

• 9 months later...

I cannot think of an instance in my life where I was a coward or ashamed of Jesus and the gospel. I have however had times when as a young believer I failed to share my faith in Christ because I didn't know how to approach it at the time.

Paul's confidence in the gospel and his Savior Jesus Christ enabled him to suffer without any shame. The phrase, in verse 12, whom I have believed expresses Paul's unshakable trust in his Savior. This should be every believer's testimony. A vigorous personal relationship with the God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit should lead to a certainty that God will keep his promises. That God will protect the believer in life and death. God will not forget a life of faithful service to Him. See Ps. 23.

The bottomline is knowing the promises of God and maintaining an intimate relationship with Him. A love relationship. That relationship, based on trust and confidence, will drive away cowardice and shame.

• 4 months later...

2a)When groups assume we will do x,if it is not something feel comfortable with,I don’t join in activity,and say it is against what I believe as a Christian,In groups of non-believers haven’t always spoken of my faith,as fearful they would not understand me.More comfortable with friendship evangelism in one’s ot twos.

b)antidote is trusting in Christ &work of HS in us to overcome my cowardice &fears. The Spirit give us the words& confidence to speak of His power working through us to overcome any fears.We must be bold and step out.

c)remembering to ask for God's help&power through his Spirit in us,rather than speaking with own words&strength. 

• 10 years later...

Like Apostle Paul,we must maintain perfect trust in the faithfulness of God.  God entrusts to his faithful servants the deposit of faith.  As servants, we diligently keep the deposit of faith with jealous fidelity.  We entrust our souls to God, knowing that Yahweh is faithfully.

Like Apostle Paul, we accept the challenges and vicissitudes of the Gospel ministry.   It's not a carriage ride through Central Park nor a walk through the park.   We need that holy anointing from on high to persevere.

• 2 months later...

Although this may seem counter-intuitive, there is a fine line between being sensitive and socially "nuanced" when speaking the gospel and being cowardly and ashamed of the gospel.: it's easy to wrongly wait when we should speak; to speak when we should wait.

I tend to be careful about what I say and to whom, yet I don't think this has prevented me from sharing the gospel message. I live/work/breathe with and among seculars. It's very important, then, that the gospel message is spoken in words they appreciate or understand and in a tone/mannerism that's non-confrontational.

Having said this, the gospel message in itself IS offensive to those who don't believe. It angers secular people, even when spoken carefully. There's a point at which the story of Christ's sacrifice has to be told, in clear and plain language, not timidly hedged. I pray to reach that point. I pray to have the sensitivity to know when to speak. 

Everyone who knows me knows I'm a Christian. Many of them hate Christians. My faith hovers uncomfortably in the atmosphere. Seculars hate my faith ... and sometimes me. It can hurt, but God helps me move on.

I believe the antidote to any reticence toward a timely speaking out about faith is PRAYER. Yes, just prayer.

• Prayer about the unsaved person.
  • Prayer about an open door to witness and the place and time to do so.
  • Prayer about the reception of the gospel message.
  • Prayer for protection after I have spoken. 

Intercession must precede evangelism. That's sorta my rule. If I have not prayed first, unless the timing is clearly of Him, I keep quiet. Since it is God who draws people toward Himself, intercession makes sense. I'm asking God to do what He may choose to do, and for the wisdom, ability and strength to do it. After this, the results are up to Him. Even if I "perform" poorly, He can turn it to His good. "The One I have trusted in can take care of what He's trusted me to do right to the end." (v12 Message version)

• 2 weeks later...

The cowardice I have experienced has mostly come from within the workplace where there has been ( and may still be) a decided emphasis on separating church and state.  It is inappropriate to have religious organization and this concept was somehow lumped into the more radical thinking that all viewpoints are important and tolerated (Christianity not so much).    Interesting though was that I had a dear, dear friend who was a Muslim and I got to learn a lot about that viewpoint for the similarities (in the Torah and Moses) and differences.

The level of cowardice seems to get smaller with age, however.  I don't seem to mind so much that people may see me as a practising Christian (who has a long way to go!)

Q2. I confess that I find it hard to open conversations with people I come across in every day life. I have started praying to ask the Lord to give me opportunities and help me to use them. I don’t think I have ever denied my Lord or denied that I was a Christian. My problems arise when my family discusses things such as abortion or gay marriage and these current difficult and controversial issues. It is the only time I disagree with my two non Christian daughters. Actually on reflection there are many things we see from different perspectives. My views are from God’s word, but these days I don’t argue because I have said it all before and now I hope my life will speak to them.

The closer we are to Jesus and the more we trust Him and believe in Him the easier it will be to speak in a normal and natural way about Him to others and share with them our testimony and what He means to us. Even if we feel intimidated or afraid, if we pray the Lord will give us the words to say despite our physical weakness.

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion?

ANSWER: A coward consciously shies away from unpleasant situations, doing whatever he can to save his own skin, enslaving himself to fear. Cowardice allows evil to triumph. Cowardice can be defined as “a trait wherein fear and excessive self-concern override doing or saying what is right, good, and of help to others or oneself in a time of need, it is the opposite of courage.” Cowardice is an anti-virtue. Bold living is extraordinarily difficult, painful and risky. However, to live cowardly is to choose self over others, comfort over Christ-likeness, and ease over sacrifice. To live a life of cowardice is to not follow the way of the Cross. Jesus consistently rebukes the way of cowardice: the way of choosing self over loving others, seeking ease at the expense of the down and out, or helping one’s own cause when it oppresses or neglects the poor and needy. Cowardice is so looked down on by Jesus, that in Revelation 21:8 He condemns the cowardly alongside the faithless and detestable.

Be audacious as you confront sin and love the unloved. Jesus always risked his reputation to boldly love because he was sure of his reputation with his Father. Love boldly, confront gently, and stand firm in the faith.

From testifying clearly about your faith? (Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you … )

ANSWER: INSTEAD of being ashamed, Paul said, SHARE in suffering for the gospel BY THE POWER OF GOD!  We accept suffering, knowing God gives us the POWER to suffer.  The power of God, within us, overcomes our tendency to be ashamed and to shrink from suffering.  His power will carry us through ANY suffering.  The Power of God is an unshakable, reality inside us!  We need to believe that! 

The two main messages to us in this passage: refuse to be ashamed about the message of Christ, choose to suffer for that message.The first command of this scripture is “DO NOT BE ASHAMED. Being ashamed comes from an over-desire to look respectable in the eyes of others. Instead of being concerned with the world’s opinion of us, we should be concerned that Christ would be ashamed of us. 2 Timothy 1:6-11

The second command is “SHARE IN SUFFERING”.  At a very fundamental level the Christian life is ABOUT suffering.  Jesus Christ suffered rejection, injustice, hardship, and ultimately execution by crucifixion at the hands of evil people.  Paul said, “All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer”.  Peter said “Christ suffered in his body, therefore arm yourselves with that same resolve.”

We must recognize that we do not possess the ability to remain faithful under the best of circumstances in our own flesh. But neither do we pretend to have the ability to save ourselves in our flesh. We depend completely on God for all. He has granted the ability, the power, to save and sanctify us. He holds us fast. May we be unashamed and unafraid.  May we be unashamed of Christ and the message about Christ, and willing to suffer with others in the body of Christ...for the gospel message. 

According to 2 Timothy 1 verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame?

ANSWER: In 2 Timothy 1 we are instructed to have a “spirit of boldness”, holding fast to a faithful God. To stir up the gift of God which is in us: We should not be passive and just let it all happen; some of those gifts given to us by God are neglected. They need to be stirred up and put into actionthrough the laying on of His hands: God used the laying on of hands to communicate spiritual gifts to Timothy. This is not the only way God gives gifts, but it is a common way; and a way that we should never neglect. It is a good thing to have others pray for us and ask that God would give us gifts that might be used to bless and build up the family of God. We must remember that God has graciously given us His Holy Spirit, who makes us fearless in troubled times, works His power in our weakness, stirs in us genuine love for our neighbors and even our enemies, and gives us self-control to live as God’s holy people.

How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

ANSWER: We are to be worshiping people. We are to make much of Jesus. We are not ashamed. Rather we confidently and boldly make much of Jesus in song to His praise and our joy. We can boldly proclaim the Word of God because He has been given a spirit of power, love, and self-control. This disposition is not self-generated but is a supernatural endowment made possible by the grace of God. The perfect love of God has cast out the fear to which we were once enslaved. May the spirit of love empower us to live faithfully and courageously as ambassadors of Christ! We have been released from the spirit of fear by the Holy Spirit, who has placed us in the body of Christ.

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12)

Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith?

I cannot recall any cowardice or shame, I always speak out.

According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame?

That you must know whom you believed, and to be convinced that GOD is able to guard what I have entrusted to us for that day.

How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

To operate operate in God's power, because GOD has given us the Spirit; a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

I thank God that He gave me holy boldness when He saved me and I can't remember being afraid to identify myself as a Christian since then or to testify of  my faith.  My aim and my prayer is that I live a life that other can see the Christ in me so that I don't have to tell them I am a Christian but they will know that there is something different about me.  I am always ready to testify about my faith because of the things God has healed me from, saved me from and carried me through.  As the song says "I am a living testimony". Thing, time, and circumstances have taught me to put my trust in God and no man.

The antidote for cowardice and shame is to be truly filled with the Holy Spirit and know that the one in whom we believe is able to keep us in all situation and circumstances..  Like the Hebrew boys we should know that He is able even if He don't.

• 2 weeks later...

A2.

My major challenge has been timidity and not really fear.

However, there could be times that I have hesitated to discuss spiritual issues in the presence non-Christian for fear of displeasing them.

May the Lord through the Holy Spirit gives me the boldness required to share is word without timidity of fear. Amen.

Been real good about witnessing over the years.  Keep Christian literature by my Jeep windshield.  Been out involved innstreet Evangelism for many years.   Distributed Gospel tracts at work in common areas.

Stay methodical!  Getting involved in an evangelistic ministry is very important even if one has to go alone and just distribute Gospel tracts in a respectful manner.  Most of the time, one will not have the support of a local church.   Sadly many churches don't have evangelistic outreaches nor services.  In our day and age, a person really needs to be prayed up and launch into the deep.  One may just have to go to the local nursing home or prison to inquire about starting a new ministry based on solid evangelistic principles.

Some examples that I can think of is when we are with some people who doesn’t believe in Jesus and they will ridicule you when you talk about Him. Or you are in a crowd and you don’t want to be pointed out. The antidote for cowardice and shame is the Holy Spirit. We can combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves by praying and depending on the Holy Spirit and get out of that situation.

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) 
Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves? 
In the beginning of my Christian journey, I did not have the courage or confidence to speak openly about my faith and what my Lord Jesus Christ means to me. This was mainly from the fear of rejection, and because I was scared of being asked a question, I would not have been able to answer. But fortunately, since I’ve given my life to our Lord and Saviour Jesus, and because of the fact that I have spiritually matured a lot more since then, I’m no longer ashamed and will openly speak about Jesus. But I must admit I’m very reserved when it comes to a stranger, I won’t initiate a conversation about our Lord. I realize that God is in control and there is nothing to worry about or to be ashamed of. Jesus Christ is my Almighty Lord, and with Him there can no defeat or failure. So, I am not ashamed! I know the one I have faith in, and I know that He will guard and protect me.