JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (2 Timothy 1:8-10) Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How is Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy? How is this an antidote for shame?

That is where our focus should be. When our eyes our on Christ we will receive strength and courage from him in any situation. If our focus in on pleasing self or others, we will quickly fail to stand tall for him.

• 5 months later...

We must focus on Christ - who He is - what He has done for us - and what He has promised to us - this should suffice to drive out all of our fears and encourage us to boldly live and serve God as He has purposed. . . This is the method Paul chose to encourage Timothy - and this is what encourages me. . . Acts 20:24-32 (KJV)

24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.

27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

B)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. (2 Timothy 1:8-10) Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How is Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy? How is this an antidote for shame?

Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel is designed to encourage Timothy by reassuring him that Christ is always there for us.He would never leave us nor forsake us. To create that motivation that Timothy requires.

This is an antidote for shame since it allows us to understand that God is greater than us and it is He who hath saved us and not we ourselves. He hath given us added grace.

• 1 year later...

Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How is Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy? How is this an antidote for shame?

Our God is Almighty, full of love, kind, mercyfull. and He can handle any problem How can this not encourage Tim. My daughter quoted somebody to me the other day. Don't tell God how big your problems are, tell your problems how big your God is. This is big encouraement of coarse, but remember not to stop praying.

• 9 months later...

Timothy is encouraged not to be ashamed or shrink back from "the testimony of our Lord."  Testimony is the witness of the Lord; the Greek term is the source of the English word martyr.  Church tradition says that most of the apostles died as martyrs.  Paul is concerned that in the face of vehement oppostion Timothy might be afraid to witness.  Paul's statement to Timothy "Share with me in the sufferings" indicates that at times a faithful witness for the Lord will involve adversity. Paul's call boldness in 2 Timothy 1:7-10 may indicate Timothy was timid.  Like Timothy, every once and awhile all of us need a gentile push to be bold.

Paul writes in verse 10 that the manifestation of God's plan and grace has been "revealed," or brought to light, in the "appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who abolished death..."  Fear of dying might have caused some believers to shrink from testifying about their faith. The Greek term translated life is typically used concerning eternal life in the New Testament.  God's life, unlike the life of humans, is immortal.  He cannot die. Through their faith in Christ, believers have inherited eternal life.  We have nothing to fear, not even death.  Therefore we proclaim with boldness our trust in Christ. 

We have nothing to be ashamed of because, as Paul wrote to the Romans, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek."  Romans 1:16

I think that says it all.

• 4 months later...

3a)Paul is urging Timothy to have a proper prospective &us to- to focus on sharing the amazingly positive message for people that Christ has come as a man&rising again from his death on cross to set us free from the penalty of death. He doesn't want him to be afraid to witness &be distacted by false doctrines or quarrels over minutiae&other opposing voices,He wants him to be emboldened in Christ’s power to overcome our timidity, opposing voices.Christ’s power will enable us to overcome any sufferings we are faced with, as we trust in Christ¬ our own resources. Thinking our inadequacies,sufferings are greater than His death is a form of pride!
b)This truth of eternal life,freedom from hold of sin&decay, power, with grace to live life in all it’s fulness now is totally liberating,positive and life changing- nothing for us to be ashamed about.We should seek to be proud of Jesus not our inadequacies.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Focus on Christ
  • 2 months later...

Apostle Paul wanted Timothy to be fully convinced that it is the Grace of God that gives us all the power to preserve in our Ministerial callings.  Not by power not by might but by the Spirit of God.   Truly a heavenly calling;. Timothy needed this timely reminder during his time at Ephesus.

Timothy's consciousness would be renewed.  He would be deeply impressed that he could  fearlessly face the challenges and vicissitudes of the Ephesian church.   Having this mindset, he could zealously get to work, and win more souls for the Kingdom of God.   

• 2 months later...

Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How is Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy? How is this an antidote for shame?

Timothy fears his own martyrdom which did happen but only after he was an elderly man. Paul, I believe, was martyred soon after writing these letters to Timothy. I don't know why I believe this, but it seems that Timothy didn't fear death in itself but the pain and suffering that precedes death, the horrifying ways Christians were murdered by the government. 

Paul tried to encourage Timothy with these letters. What bothers me is the association of suffering and grace. How can God's grace -- unmerited love and favor of God -- be so tightly linked to our suffering? Was the suffering of which he writes being humiliated or ashamed by government agents, or was it deeper than this? Was Timothy's suffering bodily -- he had suffered from torture inflicted on him by government bureaucrats; furthermore, he was afraid of being killed by them in this way. 

"Join me in suffering ..." writes Paul. Why do we suffer? Paul says we suffer because God's grace includes the idea that our salvation is tied to suffering, not only Christ's but our own. "Being like Christ" means suffering as He did. As an aside, the Protestant church tends to diminish Christ's suffering and the probability of our own suffering (for example, Protestant crosses rarely have the body of Christ hanging on them while Catholic and Orthodox crosses display the mutilated and tortured body of Christ). I think we need to think and preach more deeply on suffering. Just my opinion.

I don't see how shame fits into this narrative. What does Paul mean by not being ashamed? Was he ashamed at being singled out by the government? Was there shame associated in suffering in itself? Was he embarassed or ashamed at being humiliated during the torture by the government (nudity, blood and gore ...)? What exactly is Paul ashamed of? Paul says he's suffering for being an apostle, herald and teacher, yet I don't see how this would be shameful unless outsiders harmed Paul for assuming these roles.

Clearly, Paul wants Timothy to understand that suffering isn't a sign of guilt or moral weakness. People may have thought that God was displeased with Paul/Tim precisely becuase they had been targeted, tortured and eventually martyred, that this was a sure sign of His displeasure? After all, God only wants good things for his children, right?

• 2 weeks later...

By focusing ON Christ instead of himself and his circumstances and challenges, Paul redirects Timothy's focus to the one who is stronger than any in this world and who cares and looks out for him and who has promised him a life in eternity.  The emphasis is on Christ teaching and leading;  not Timothy's talents.

The Salvation through Christ is a gift and has been planned for those who believe from the beginning of the world.  God knows what we are doing and have done and, with repentence forgives us to restore our right standing with him, hence shame has no root in our attitude.

Paul in his deep commitment and faith in Christ encourages Timothy to share his knowledge.He taught Timothy the worthiness and glory of the gospel.The power of the gospel to save from eternal separation from God.

It is a free gift given by grace for salvation.  Paul is suffering for preaching this truth which his opponents used to persecute him. Paul encourages Timothy to join him in proclaiming this gospel which is the good news of Jesus’ forgiveness of sins to bring us to eternal life.

Because of its power to save through faith in Christ Jesus, Timothy needs not be afraid to proclaim it. There is no shame because  it is the Power of God for salvation of every one who would believe.

This good news should cast away all shame to proclaim it without fear or shame. 

Q3.Sometimes when we are feeling insecure and inadequate we focus on ourselves and forget that we have the same power within us by the Holy Spirit as did God when He raised Jesus from the dead. Here Paul is diverting Timothy’s attention from himself and his feelings to Christ and the power of the Gospel. In all our situations we must keep our eyes firmly fixed on the Author and Perfector of our faith and know that He is on our side and that He will help us in our time of need.  If Timothy does the same thing he will forget his shyness and shame and will do great things for God through his ministry.

Q3. (2 Timothy 1:8-10) Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How isPaul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy?

ANSWER: We must always be living like Jesus and all we can. We must live in obedience to the Holy Spirit and follow His guidance. Paul encouraged Timothy to focus on three spiritual priorities of the ministry, including nourishment from God's Word, training in godliness, and a mission-minded approach to ministry. In terms of receiving nourishment from God's Word, Paul mentions to Timothy that such a process is a life long event.

Paul reminds Timothy that he must give an account of his preaching, not to Paul, or even to his congregation, but to the Lord Jesus. Paul was encouraging Timothy to continue following the good teachings of the gospel, as they would provide the nourishment he needed to sustain his strength in confronting the false teachers. Paul also urged Timothy to focus on training in godliness in order to serve as an example to the false teachers.

How is this an antidote for shame?

ANSWER: When one study the scriptures, hopefully we should learn and understand why and how the Apostle Paul was not ashamed. In his own words, Paul is not ashamed of the gospel “because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes” ( Romans 1:16).  Paul is not ashamed of the gospel on the basis of deeper life-transformation. To Paul, the gospel is not merely a set of beliefs to defend, but an experienced world and life-transforming power. This experienced power amounts to well-grounded hope. The idea here is that Paul knows that his hope is not in vain because he, a former murderer of Christians, has received divine power to love as God loves. Why this power bring salvation is that (1) the supernatural power to love as God loves and (2) the power to defeat death through resurrection come from the same source, the Spirit of God, also known as the Spirit of Christ. Resurrection power cannot be divorced from divine heart-transformation (see Romans 8:9, 14).

Q3. (2 Timothy 1:8-10)

Paul is writing to encourage timid Timothy. How is Paul's focus on Christ and the gospel designed to encourage Timothy?

Paul said, that he is not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

How is this an antidote for shame.

The Gospel is the Good news, this Good news is all about what our LORD JESUS CHRIST has done for us.

Paul's focus on Christ and the Gospel is design to encourage Timothy because it takes the focus off other things .It is a testimony of Christ, His person, offices, righteousness, blood, sacrifice and satisfaction.  It tells of His obedience, suffering, death, resurrection ascension, sessions at God's right hand, intercession for His people, second coming to judgment, and concerning life and salvation by Him. All these things have played a part in our salvation and will play a part in where we spend eternity.  No Christian should be ashamed of the Gospel or Christ for it is all true, great, glorious, and useful.

This is an antidote for shame because if we are ashamed to own Him before sinful man He will be ashamed to own us when He comes in His glory and in the glory of His Father and the holy angels.  We should not be ashamed but know in whom we have believed, and be convinced that He is able to keep that which we commit unto him,

• 2 weeks later...

A3.

I think by focusing on Jesus Christ our Savior who gave his life to save us from eternal death by grace, Paul’s aim was to motivate Timothy to be excited and thus declare the Gospel with enthusiasm.  

Paul's deep love for the Lord Jesus Christ was the balm of Gilead, and it dissolved any feelings of timidity and discouragement.   Paul wanted to engender to Timothy that a deep prayer life is absolutely essential in the ministry.  Both Titus and Timothy had to rock solid in their convictions, and also had to be freshly anointed from on high to be courageous in the midst of many challenges.

The Holy Spirit would give preserving graces to Timothy to maintain true Gospel integrity.   The same God gave preserving graces to those God fearing pastors and priests in the concentration camps; despite terrible times, they maintained their testimonies 

Paul is encouraging Timothy by telling him everlasting life was always there even before Adam and Eve. God knew what He was going to do all the time. Therefore, don’t be afraid of telling others about it. This is an antidote for shame because we know how things are going to work out because we can trust God.

Q3. (2 TIMOTHY 1:8-10) 
Paul encourages Timothy to be zealous, courageous, and bold in faith because of the wonderful way God has dealt with us in grace. He chose us before creation; He saved us from the penalty of sin; He freed us from this evil world; and He blessed us with spiritual blessings. Our calling and salvation are not dependent or given according to what we have done. We did not earn them; or even seek them; most definitely did not deserve them - they were freely given to us without any pre-condition or price. This was all done by God’s grace. Just the knowledge of God’s love in Christ Jesus and the gift of God’s grace, are enough to motivate Timothy to devote himself in acknowledging Christ and defending the gospel. It is when we ponder on these thoughts that we should be full of enthusiasm for the Lord and never to be ashamed to call His name out loud. Besides, the Holy Spirit also gives the courage to testify boldly of our faith in Jesus Christ.