JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Boldness vs. Fear

• 5 months later...

His confident trust in Christ - His ability to not only protect and provide for him while here on earth - but also His promises that Paul - as well as all believers - will be in His presence eternally. . .

Paul is trusting God to guard his life and fruit of his ministry while he labors here on earth - and to successfully continue producing fruit even after he had departed this world. . .

B)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 1:12) According to verse 12, what is the source of Paul's fearlessness? What does he trust God to guard for him?         

Paul's confidence is in the gospel and his Savior enabled him to suffer without any shame. The phrase Paul uses "whom I have believed" expresses his unshakable trust in Jesus Christ -- his Lord and Savior.  Paul's phrase "what I have committed" does not refer to something Paul had done for Jesus, but to something he had entrusted to Him, like a deposit in a bank. This speaks not of Paul's confidence in himself but of Jesus' trustworthiness.  Paul, as we should be, was certain that God would "keep" his deposit -- his life and the eternal rewards of his ministry.  Paul was preparing for imminent death, but in spite of this he was hopeful. He had spent his time, resources, and even his life on proclaiming the gospel.  His investment in Jesus Christ's kingdom would bring him an abundant reward in eternity.  See Luke 19:15; I Cor. 3:10-15; and Rev. 11:15,18.

God will protect us in life and in death.  Jesus will not forget a life of faithful service to Him when He returns.  Sometimes people are unappreciative or forgetful of the good that we do for them; however, all that we do in faithful service for our Savior will be remembered and rewarded. See Matt. 10:42.

• 5 months later...

4a)Paul’s faith is in Jesus,he has complete confidence in him&his living intimate,personal relationship,with his saviour,  the one in whom he has put his trust.He has spoken&prayed withChrist seeking to know him more full& preaches fearlessly with his confidence in Christ ,"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death...." (Philippians 3:10)
b)Paul trusts God with his life, future ministry&death,guarding gospel which he is urgingTimothy to preach when he is gone.Jesus will remember faithful service of followers when he returns.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Boldness vs. Fear
  • 2 months later...

Apostle Paul had full confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ.   It wasn't just head knowledge.  Deep in his soul, Paul knew that his name was engraved in the palms of Yahweh.  Despite being in prison and abandoned by some of his associates, he had that deep love for God.   The Song of Solomon would describe Paul's stalwart faith.  A love stronger than death!  The HOLY Spirit was very real for Paul.   He treasured the precious anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Paul was confident that God would preserve him!   Perseverance!  He had assurance deep in his heart that God would give him preserving graces.   Despite being in prison, Paul was able to retain his composure, and be a testimony to his captors.

• 2 months later...

(2 Timothy 1:12) According to verse 12, what is the source of Paul's fearlessness? What does he trust God to guard for him?        

I'm relieved to know that Paul's death was swift -- by the sword. One of the many things that troubles me is how God's best men were tortured before they were executed. Why didn't God help them?

When I first read this passage, I thought that Paul's life -- his mere existence -- had been entrusted unto God, and that Paul's faith was so strong in God's protection that he was convinced God would guard his life. Obviously, this was wrong.

God didn't protect Paul's life. He let him be executed. 

The next verse provides the answer to what was protected by God ...  in Timothy: "the good deposition that was entrusted to you." It was the gospel message that God protected, not Paul's ... or Timothy's lives. That's why they suffered. That's why they were executed. For the gospel.

I don't think Paul is fearless. He gets mad, afraid and needs people around him. Paul's response is very human, actually. He seems to be talking to himself, at times, when he's exhorting Timothy to be brave. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paul knows that his life is near an end.  His trust, though, is in Jesus with whom he has become very close.  He is trusting God to guard his soul and the fruits of his ministry.

Paul's faith is so sure, that this physical world and the riches and treasures he has grown up with in his early household are all transient. Paul has an eternal view now, and trusts in the one who is greater than all.  The mistake the Romans made was in executing him.  Paul by this time appears to have reconciled himself with his death, recognizing that we all go through it and that the soul, which the Romans cannot harm is protected.  Their punishment is futile.

Q4. (2 Timothy 1:12) According to verse 12, what is the source of Paul's fearlessness?

ANSWER: Paul was a man of extraordinary courage, but that the Holy Spirit gives each of us the courage we need to do our work. Paul credits the Holy Spirit for keeping him going in the face of such adversity (Acts 20:22; 21:4; 23:11). This is an encouragement to us today, because we also can depend on the Holy Spirit to give us the courage we may lack.

Paul’s leadership encompasses far more than the four factors of:

1. courage,
  2. suffering,
  3. respect, and
  4. concern for others.

Yet these factors as presented in these chapters, (Acts 20-28), form one of the most stirring demonstrations of leadership in the Bible and remain as much of an example today as they did in Luke’s day.

Some Character Traits of Paul, the Apostle Paul, the apostle of Christ:

1. Persistent,
  2. Patient,
  3. Courageous,
  4. Humble, Uncompromising,
  5. Yielding,
  6. Ethical, and
  7. Forgiving

What does he (Paul) trust God to guard for him?

ANSWER: Paul trusted God to guard His faith and trust, (his life and apostolic ministry), until the day Paul meets God in heaven.

The source of Paul's fearlessness was his faith in Christ and His Gospel.  He was not ashamed of the Gospel nor the Christ whose Gospel he preached but believed in Him, loved Him with all his heart and put his trust in Him.

Paul trusted God to guard those he has committed to him, the souls he had been instrumental in the conversion of.  He trust Christ with his natural life, his immortal soul and the eternal welfare and salvation of it, believing He was able to save him to the uttermost, even unto both the day of death and the day of resurrection when both the body and soul will be glorified with Him, and the day of judgement when the crown of righteousness will be received from His hands.

Paul has gone through a lot of opposition in his mission to bring the news of salvation through faith in Jesus  Christ. Jesus has never failed him and has always delivered him from all kinds of dangers  Paul has developed a strong faith in   Christ and has become fearless. He has entrusting his life and the fruit of his ministry to Christ to be revealed on the last day.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 1:12) According to verse 12, what is the source of Paul's fearlessness? What does he trust God to guard for him?

A4.

Paul’s source of fearlessness was that God will reward him for the sacrificial service he did for his Lord before his death.

Paul'd profound love for Jesus'Christ and for salvation of men kept him going despite persecutions, sickness, false brethren and gnosticism.   The love of God filled his heart.  The Song of Solomon describes this type of love for God in very beautiful language.  Romans 8:33-39 characterized Paul's ministry; he wanted to impress on Timothy that same kind of love.  Doctrine was paramount for Paul, but it was love in his heart that kept him going.  Christ was the center of his life not church building programs, opulent parsonage, pension benefits, and retirement packages.

Paul didn't fear death.  He committed all to Christ.  Paul was so convinced of his divine appointment to the Gentiles, and always gave God the glory! He trust that Christ will give him his rewards.  Paul now being in prison left all at the altar; he put his form trust in Christ the Forerunner of our Faith.

Q4. (2 TIMOTHY 1:12) 
According to verse 12, what is the source of Paul's fearlessness? What does he trust God to guard for him? 
The source of Paul’s fearlessness was the gospel and his faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. Paul trusts God to guard the gospel that had been entrusted to him for the salvation of others; and to guard and care for his body, soul, and spirit - his eternal destiny. Jesus Christ was his Almighty Lord, and with Him there could be no defeat or failure. He is the key to assurance, because we discover that He is totally trustworthy and is fully capable of fulfilling His promises. Here is His promise: “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom 8:38-39). It takes faith to deposit our life with Jesus Christ. When we put our trust in Christ to save us, we are admitting that we cannot save ourselves by our own efforts or good works. We trust Jesus, “My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no-one can snatch them out of My hand” (John 10:27-28). We take God at His Word by believing that Christ will do what He promised, namely, to give eternal life to every person who believes in Him.