JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Skilled Craftsmen

A skilled craftsman is one who does his work professionally without any flaws. So Paul is telling Timothy that when he preached, he should stick to the truth and do not waste time quarreling with others over the meaning of words.He reminded Timothy of his own situation and how some have deserted him and he urged Timothy to endure in spite of these difficulties.

The first responsibility of a preacher is to please God and not men.No matter how unpalatable the message is, he is to preach the truth of the message and not what he thinks the people wants to hear.Many preachers today are preaching a feel good message.You feel good on leaving the Church but it leaves you spiritually dead.Only when you learn the Truth then you are really free.( Romans 8:32)

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 2:15) Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy? How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?

It is to do our best in what God has given us to do. In doing our best we must do what it takes to be our best this includes studying Gods Word with the purpose of understanding it for ourselves so that we are living in agreement with the Word / applying it in every situation and circumstance we face. . . It also applies to developing an effective prayer life and meditating in the Word of God. . . This results in us becoming better so that we in-turn do our best in service to God. . .

The application is the same we must do our best to be our best so that we do our best for the Lord. . .

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (KJV)

24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

B)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 2:15) Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy? How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?

A skilled workman studies his craft, he works with great diligence and works to the very best of his ability. Similarly Timothy ought to study the Word with great diligence. "Study to show thyself approved." By doing this, and with the help of the Holy Spirit we would be able to share God's Word of truth.We would be able to minister to someone to the best of our ability.

• 1 year later...

Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy? How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?

We have to intimately know what we teach others, so that we can answer them their questions from the Bible, or as guided by the Holy Spirit, not as we think best, or so that we teach them the truth, not our own ideas.

The more we study and prepare, the better we will be at spreading God's Word.

• 9 months later...

A skilled workman pays attention to detail, knows how to handle the tools required for the job, has a design or plan to follow to the job done, cares about the quality of the job he is doing, and is accountable and proud of his work.

A preacher and/or teacher of God's word must know the scripture in order to correctly present it.  Paul writes in 2 Timothy 3:16-17: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Like a skilled workman, as a Preacher/Pastor/Teacher, I must study scripture paiding attention to detail, I must know God's plan of salvation for man, follow God's instructions in living and presenting Jesus Christ to my mission field, I must care about God's imperatives for humanity, and be accountable before God and man for what I teach.

• 5 months later...

4a)A skilled workman is especially diligent,taking great care in his work, Paul urges Timothy&us to give ourselves fully in teaching God’s word.to present our bodies as living sacrifices (Romans 12:1) in his word. seeking God's approval, not man's.
b)Our responsibility is to please God, no matter what we need to suffer in the process.Shame before the secular world tempts Timothy& us to back off on his zeal (1:8). Paul reminds Timothy the alternative is shame before God. God will hold him to account.Correct interpretation of the Scriptures alone isn’t imt It is to faithfully teach and not veer from the Truth, quarreling about words (2:14), godless chatter (2:16), and false teaching (2:17-18) but be led by the Holy Spirit.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Skilled Craftsmen
  • 3 months later...

A true Gospel minister will be DILIGENT, seek God's approval in their work, and work with utmost sincerity and efficiency that will not bring shame upon himself.  The man of God must have skill in the use of the Word of God. All is being done for the eye of God.   Apostle Paul took 1 Peter 2:9  very seriously; he was motivated by a heart of love.   His ministry was not just a job with medical benefits, pension, and a nice parsonage.  He didn't approve of shoddy ministry, everything had to be outstanding.  Paul was not like the spurious Gnostic heretics; he avoiding vain babblings that would lead to full impiety and blasphemy.

Paul had a  profound sense of 1 Peter 2:9.   He treasured his Apostolic calling.  Despite the trials and disappointments, he kept this heart and mind on the Lord Jesus Christ.   Like Nehemiah and post exilic setters, Paul had a mind to work.   He didn't allow himself to be enveloped in self pity and discouragement.

• 2 months later...

I’m not sure what is my spiritual gift, but in the natural, for many years, I was a teacher of adults and university-age kids. There were times when I “winged it” during my lecture, not giving my best. Even though the subjects I taught were far less important than the Word of God, I still feel guilty about being a relatively skilled workman who turned out a shoddy product.

I liked Pastor Ralph's memorable description of his father carefully chiseling a block of wood. Many people feel a deep inner satisfaction when creating something out of a base element of nature, often wood. Even a writer who scrubs and scrubs at a turn of phrase feels a similar pleasure, one that's difficult to describe ... it seems visceral, perhaps innate. I have know people who prefer hand tools to electric ones because they want to feel closer to the creative process as well as the end product. I believe this creative, perfectionistic desire is of God.

I do not teach in church but if I were to serve this way, I pray that I would take it more seriously than I did when teaching in universities. The subject matter in itself demands a higher responsibility – the Word of Truth should be taught only by the most skilled workers who teach carefully and cleverly in such a way that God is pleased. 

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 2:15)

Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy?

A skill workman know the content of his job. When his busy with the job it requires must concentration and careful handling of the object. When he is finished with the job, he present it for show case or purchase. In our Christian walk it is exactly the same, Paul has pass on GOD's WORD to Timothy as as Paul also said, exactly what GOD has pass on to him, he has pass on to Timothy. Timothy is skill *in teaching the WORD of GOD. 

How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?

Exactly the same, we have to teach the uncompromised WORD of GOD as received from the HOLY SPIRIT. 

On 2/2/2009 at 1:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Skilled workmen know and practice the basics with skill and use their knowledge to not only accomplish their objective but to do this in a skillful (with above average craftsmanship).  the craftsman is also focused on what he is doing and not on other things around him in the environment.

We need to do the same thing today, with the same focus and to continue to hone our skills so that we can not only teach the word, but pass it on in a fashion that will have meaning to the audience.  Billy Graham revolutionized teaching of the scriptures because of his firm tie to the scriptures as the word of God but also his ability to speak about the scriptures in terms that his audience could relate to.  He continued to make the Bible come alive.

A skilled workman gives time and concentration on what he is doing . He takes pride in producing an object that satisfies his soul or his ego . But Timothy is to preach the word of God with the same intent but  to please God. 

Today in many churches the word of God is not been given all its importance in teaching, correcting, encouraging or exhorting . Many times ithe message is not explicit 

Q4. A skilled craftsman has served his time learning his craft. This has involved long hours of study then learning the practical skills needed and only after he has been thoroughly tested and passed his exams can he call himself a skilled craftsman. So it is with Christians , both teachers and us., we must daily study and research the scriptures to learn more about God and his ways. Then we can share with others the life changing message of Jesus. This is so important it must be done by a ‘skilled craftsman’ who has and does study, always extending his knowledge and personal experience of God.

Q4. (2 Timothy 2:15) Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy?

ANSWER: Paul urges Timothy to view himself as a worker seeking to please God. Any worker or servant should desire to satisfy the expectations of his or her boss. Timothy was to view his work for God in the same way. Rather than quarreling about words, Timothy is to be a skilled craftsman when it comes to teaching the Word.

God’s approved workers handle the word of truth correctly. Rightly dividing literally means “cutting straight” in the original Greek. Pastors and teachers are to be skilled workmen of God’s Word who carefully and thoroughly search the revelation of God in Scripture, not deviating from or distorting its message in any way. The approved worker receives the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what it said was true.” He studies God’s Word and then seeks to apply it to his own life.

How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?

ANSWER: The skilled worker rightly handles scripture with accuracy, boldness, and clarity. He is a craftsman, someone who cuts straight, who sets forth without distortion. Preaching takes place in the pulpit, but teaching God’s Word still takes place in our everyday lives; in our homes, in our small groups, and in our conversations.

1. Reading and Meditation - This is the one weapon that you have to fight against false teachers and the lies of the world. It is the Sword of the Spirit and the Word of Truth. You need to read your Bible. After you read, you need to think about it. This is what it means to meditate on God’s Word day and night.
  2. Interpretation and Application - After you’ve studied, seek to apply God’s word to your life. Go from head knowledge to heart transformation. Live out what you’ve learned. Take the Bible to task. God’s word will not return empty. 
  3. Teaching the Truth - When you know what God’s Word says, and when you have lived it out yourself, you will be best prepared to begin teaching others. Faithful stewards are skilled workers, laboring with the Law of the Lord, leading others to Jesus.

Which of these examples speaks most strongly to you?

ANSWER: All of these examples are vital to a Christian life. The example that speaks volumes to me is “teaching the truth”. I feel that one must know the Word and share it as God intends, straight, without wavering, or with a sugary coating that makes it easier to swallow. His Word is living and active. Definitely one must persistently avoid, ignore or reject profane and vain talking rapidly and continuously in a foolish, excited, or incomprehensible way: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. It's important to be as honest as possible when answering strongly agree and strongly disagree questions in reference to God’s .

Just as a skilled workman prepares himself to perform his craft Timothy must prepare himself for ministry.  The ministry of the Word requires industry, diligence and application, which is required for any skilled workman, but it also requires the grace of God.  The word of truth is to be cut open and dissected , searched to find every truth contained in it so they can wisely and faithfully be laid open to others that they may be given their portion of meat in due season.  It should be given to babes in Christ and to grown Christians according to their capacity, and suitable to their cases and circumstances , dividing to everyone what is proper for him.

Just as Timothy had to prepare so do we.  We must be industrious and diligent in out application of the word.  We are to cut open and dissect the word to find it hidden truth and wisely and faithfully administer them to others.  We are not to pervert, take from, or add to the Scriptures but point out the truths in them.  Scripture is used to show men the way of salvation so we must plainly and faithfully preach the Gospel contained in it without keeping anything back that is profitable.  It requires one to take great care to himself, his doctrine, great industry, diligence, and application, and much reading, meditation, and prayer.  Unskilled, unfaithful, or lazy workman (ministers) have need to be ashamed, but those who mind their own business and keep to their work need not be ashamed.

A4.

A skilled workman knows his job very well and exhibits confidence in what he says and does. He is therefore not ashamed in his proclamation on the subject that he presents to people.

Paul, a skilled worker and servant of the Lord who was fully committed in the service of the Lord without fear or timidity, wanted young Timothy to follow his example.

A skilled workman puts heart and soul into his job.  He doesn't take a careless approach. He updates himself on the latest discoveries pertaining to his craft.   Such a workman does such an outstanding job for his client that the good reports spread to other prospective clients.

The man of God must be like the skilled workman.   Preaching and evangelistic outreach are sacred duties.  Those truly called to the ministry truly need to be sober, diligent and avoid godless chatter and engaging in spurious discussions.  The sacred desk includes indoor as well as outdoor preaching.   It is not to taken in a frivolous way;  it cannot be used as a political or entertainment venue.

A skilled workman puts heart and soul into his job.  He doesn't take a careless approach. He updates himself on the latest discoveries pertaining to his craft.   Such a workman does such an outstanding job for his client that the good reports spread to other prospective clients.

The man of God must be like the skilled workman.   Preaching and evangelistic outreach are sacred duties.  Those truly called to the ministry truly need to be sober, diligent and avoid godless chatter and engaging in spurious discussions.  The sacred desk includes indoor as well as outdoor preaching.   It is not to taken in a frivolous way;  it cannot be used as a political or entertainment venue.

Q4. (2 TIMOTHY 2:15) 
Exactly what is the analogy with a skilled workman that forms the basis for Paul's instruction to Timothy? How does this apply to our teaching of scripture today?
The analogy is that of a workman skilled enough to make paths that are straight, smooth, and free from obstacles. Who treats the Word properly, keeping believers on the straight and narrow way; living a righteous life in obedience to our Lord, staying on the path of faith. The word of truth will be rightly handled, and like a skilled workman he does not change it, pervert it, mutilate it, or distort it, neither does he use it with the wrong purpose in mind. A workman who works hard, who has done his work well and is not ashamed to submit it to his superior. Remembering that it is before God whom we all will stand. This is how we should lovingly handle the Word, doing it for the glory of God, the conversion of sinners, and for the edification of believers.