JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Fellowship

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Our fellowship with fellow Christians is often just on the surface level because we are not making Christ the center of our relationship. Hence, our relationship is functional. It it not the agape type of love.

The only way to make our fellowship with fellow christian real is to live by grace. We have been saved by grace hence it is appropriate to love our neighbors back.

It would take us to be humble before our brothers in faith. We should not think of ourselves as "higher" than others. Instead we should serve one another with love and humility. Real Christian is a mirror of the image of Christ. Christ is seen in them wherever the may be.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Our fellowship with fellow Christians is often just on the surface level because we are not making Christ the center of our relationship. Hence, our relationship is functional. It it not the agape type of love.

The only way to make our fellowship with fellow christian real is to live by grace. We have been saved by grace hence it is appropriate to love our neighbors back.

It would take us to be humble before our brothers in faith. We should not think of ourselves as "higher" than others. Instead we should serve one another with love and humility. Real Christian is a mirror of the image of Christ. Christ is seen in them wherever the may be.

Our fellowship with fellow Christians is often just on a surface level because we are afraid to open up.

Meet Jesus first thing in the morning; spend time just listening for His voice.

I believe we need to share our thoughts and feelings with other Christians in our group, but, also be attentive to their needs and concerns.

True, deep fellowship requires transparency on our part, and we are conditioned from a very early age to hide behind the "poker face" - so we won't be hurt, look foolish, seem needy ...We also need to be so closely fellowshipping with the Triune God so that we can truly have fellowship with other Christians.

I spoke with a non-believer the other day who said the universe sends us love. I thought about that and replied that God is love, and unless we as Christians show the love to one another from God in friendship, acceptance, care and compassion, how else are we going to get that love? I'm sure it doesn't just drop out of the ether!

I have recently seen the Alpha Marriage course which has a session on forgiveness. It quotes Corrie Ten Boom being approached by the guard who was responsible for viciously treating both Corrie and her sister Betsey in Ravensbrook (spelling?) He was apparently responsible for Betsey's death. Corrie didn't have any love for him, but through faith reached out to this man and the Holy Spirit of God provided the Love. Sometimes I think we need to open the door of communication and trust that God will be there.

These verses stated in the lecture show how why our Christian fellowship must go beneath the surface level.

a. "That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you may have fellowship with us; and our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ...." (1:3)

b. "... But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another...." (1:7)

I recently joined one of six fellowships groups in my church called Life Groups. The purpose is while the total church grows bigger; it shall become smaller through participation in Life Groups. Although we have regular conversations about everyday matters, we also discuss spiritual things, pray for each other, play games, do service projects, and have bible study, and eat delicious snacks.

Therefore, because we meet outside of regular church services, we have a precious

chance to build authentic Christian fellowship and relationships. It is vital to build healthy spiritual and physical support systems. As the Apostle John emphasized, we, too, have a chance to proclaim what we have seen and heard through Christ to one another and by reaching out to other people.

In my opinion the reason we have surface level relationships, is because we

are reluctant to listen to the voice of God, we are to vocal in our lives

and not quiet enough to hear God's voice speaking to us and slow in our

prayer time. We are also reluctant to put our entire trust in God.

I feel that we could have a deeper fellowship in Christ by committing to a

more, and better prayer life.

I think in my own life I just need to give up more of my personal control

and rely more on God, and my prayer life.

I think we are often afraid - of either seeming without sufficient knowledge of scripture, or seeming holier-than-thou. We are afraid to reveal our true self to others, because of lack of trust.

In order to deeper our level of fellowship, we first have to develop trust. And we have to be honest with one another, no "false fronts". Neither of these is easy to accomplish. It takes time and commitment, and relying on the Spirit to lead us. If we put Christ first in our lives, we will learn how to fellowship with others as we learn to fellowship with him.

Fear of rejection, that someone will spread our dirty laundry out for anyone who will listen. It's also a responsibility to take on other people's troubles - we might feel obligated to help or pray for them.

I believe that Jesus explains why:

2 Timothy 3:1-5 (NKJ) 1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

and Matthew 24:3-12 ... And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.

We have become lovers of self.

Solution: repent (recognize), seek God, ask the Holy Spirit for renewed love. Walk in the light, read the Word.

But I believe not many want to do that ... <_<

We are blessed to have this type of fellowship at our church. We unfortunately had a situation that forced our hand and caused a church split, but those of us who left and allowed God to use us to start another church are very close-knit. We all have the same goal...to love the Lord God with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our mind and with all our strength and to love others as ourselves! I believe that is all you need for true Christian fellowship. B)

It may be on a surface level if; 1) it is not grounded in the Word of God, 2)if it is not mutual depending on the unity of the believers,3)and if it is not renewed daily thru the Holy Spirit. If we are living in the light that would mean that we are practising the truth so then we are cleansed by the blood of Christ which would guide us into a deeper fellowship. I am praying with them in small groups and in doing this we surrender all to God, trusting in Him thus being able to open up to fellow believers. We study the scriptures and allow God to put what we learn to His use. :rolleyes:

Our fellowship is often on the surface level because we are selfish, self-centered and it is too painful to be transparent.

We can have a deeper level of fellowship when our focus is on Jesus and His love fills our hearts. We can care deeply for those around us if God loves them through us.

For me, I need to first invest the time in each life to allow fellowship to grow me!

Our fellowship with fellow Christians is often on a surface level because we have built barriers around ourselves and don't trust others sufficiently to let the barriers down. We fear being judged and want to keep others at a distance.

To have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ, we must first ask God to help us grow closer. He will help us lower the barriers if we really want this.

As we grow closer to God we will grow closer to our fellow Christians and learn to trust them. Make the first move and reach out to others and they in turn will respond to you.

Love from Greta

I have spend alot time inside different churches, and I found that most believers do not have to time, or will to be real with others. Also I have found that alot of Christians are unprepared to face the realities of life and dealing with real life situations that we as humans find ourselves.

I feel that maybe small intense bible groups might help to bring a closest and a willing to share from the heart and not just the head.

So many of our church people have a reputation of being judgmental and condemning instead of restoring their fellow Christians that we build walls. We try to find help in what is taught in Church but not in relationships because of fear. We fear being hurt more or destroyed instead of helped. Christians have a reputation of killing their wounded.

I guess we all need to take a leaf out of AA only use first names and what is said in meetings stays there and nothing is to be shared outside of the group. LOL

I don't know but we sure could use some lessons on how to build Godly relationships.

I agree. We do tend to be a bit superficial because of past hurts. So we take the scripture about guarding our hearts out of context and we end up keeping everybody out and only developing our relationships to a certain level, never really letting ourselves become free and our lives an open book before the world.

Jesus said the greatiest commandment is to love God with everthing in us and next to love our brother if we live by that i feel there would be no surface relationship when a member of my church hurts i hurt with them when they rejoyce i rejoyce with them we are our brothers keeper

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

It could be many things but perhaps the more important ones are:

1. Because our relationship with God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit is superficial

2. Because we have unconfessed sins in our lives and our communion with God has been broken

3. Because we are afraid to tell others who we are and where we are at with God

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ?

1. Draw close to God and His word daily with much prayers

2. Confess our sins as soon as the Holy Spirit has made them known to us

3. Ask God to help us overcome our own self-consciousness and let us see that we could glorify God and bless others as we truly "fellowship" with each other at a deeper level.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

1. Take courage to reach out

2. Take time to build relationship with each other

3. Take action starting from myself and hopefully it would encourage others to do the same

start by walking in the light

Even though we are Christians, we have a hard timet trusting one another. To have a deeper fellowship with one another we have to continually work on our own relationship with God.

Because we have no true fellowship with God, We are only saying we have fellowship with God. We are nt living fully in the light of Gods presence.

If we are living in the light of Gods presence just as christ is we can keep a deeper level in christ. We can confess our sins to Jesus and cleanse us from every wrong and can make a deeper level of fellowship with Him. Our relation with our fellow christian friends should be sincere and true. Jesus taught us that His father wants us to love one another just the way Jesus loved us. So we should follow this to our fellow group. This will deepen our level of relationship.

Our fellowship is often on a surface level because it takes time to develop trust and feel secure to share the deep things of our lives, which cannot really be achieved in large gatherings once a week.

I have found that this can only be developed in small groups where often

people feel they can be vunerable and where time is given to develop relationships and get to know people in a less formal setting , often in someones home sharing a meal with others, then the barriers come down.

:) Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Most of our fellowship with fellow Christians is like a Hospital Gown! (You only partly covered!)

We live in Sin day in day out without confession to God.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." (1:7-10)

Jesus taught us that His father wants us to love one another just the way Jesus loved us. If we do this; we will deepen our level of fellowship in our fellow Christian Brothers and Sisters.

Pax