JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Darkness and Light

The result of walking in darkness, I believe, is that you fall farther and farther away from the grace of God. Once someone CHOOSES to walk in darkness, he/she is actually choosing sin and rejecting God. We deceive ourselves by thinking it's "just a little sin" or that maybe God doesn't see it. We rationalize our sins to ourselves and others to make us feel more comfortable with our sins. The result of walking in the light is fellowship with our loving God. What could possibly be better than that? The result of walking in the light is knowing what the darkness looks like. The only way to get back to the light is to fall at the foot of the cross and confess our sins to Him with a heart of true repentance. Saying " I'm sorry" is not confessing your sins and it certainly isn't repentance. Being sorry is just regretting that you got caught. We can't rely on our own efforts to walk continually in the light. That kind of strength comes from the Holy Spirit. It is only He who can empower us to waqlk continually in the light.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

If a person continues to sin knowing that it is sin, she or he will be separated from God.  Often in this situation, a person might say well God forgives, I only did one time, I won't do it again, I'm only human... The person knows it is sin but tries to justify the sin.  After a while I think the person may begin to believe the lie.  If we walk in the light we will have fellowship with one another.  We can get back into light by confessing our sin.

• 8 months later...

There was a specific time in my life when I was heavily entrenched in a secret sinful relationship.  I can say from experience that it is so harmful to your life with God and with other believers.  The effect was definitely a severing of true fellowship.   When this sin came to light and I was able to confess it publicly, while it was embarrasing and it hurt, the result was an amazing feeling of freedom and light and extreme gratefulness to God for forgiveness and cleansing.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues wilfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

When a Christian wilfully continues to walk in darkness i.e. sin, disobedience, he separates himself from God. When we are out of fellowship with God there can be no true Christian fellowship with the brethren.

It involves self-deception as in such cases we are honouring God with our lips but our hearts are far from Him. We are living a lie towards God and man as we persist in acting out a form of godliness while remaining in sin.

When we walk in the light all is laid bare, there is nothing to hide, there is no duality in our lives. We walk according to the will and plans of God. We are led by the Holy Spirit. Our heart and motives are right towards God. When we sin we are forgiven and cleansed if genuinely repentant, we confess our sins.

• 3 months later...

Q2.  (1 John 1:5-7)

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

We live in a state of sin, that is, in darkness. God’s laws say one thing and one thing only and are clearly explained. Sin has a very dreadful result in that it will keep you from entering into the Kingdom of God. If we say we have fellowship with Him (Jesus Christ) but are lying, then the side of the coin that is showing says we are NOT in fellowship with Him. Can we have true fellowship with one another the way God wanted us to if we first do not come into fellowship with Him? I think not because the result will be different people believing in different doctrines.

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?

As verse 7 states, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. Note that it says ALL sin. Not some. Can anything but lawlessness exist if we don’t have fellowship with one another? All one has to do is look around to see the answer to that. God’s Word is either/or, not compromise.

How do we get back into the light if we sin?

To get back on track we need to confess our sins to Jesus and put them behind us, that is, not to practice them anymore. The Holy Spirit will reveal sin to us but it is up to us to repent of it.

• 1 year later...

Q2.  (1 John 1:5-7) 
What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues wilfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? 
How does this involve self-deception? 

If we continue to walk in darkness we are not in fellowship with God, our Lord Jesus, or our fellow Christians, and we need to urgently question our salvation. We know that God is absolutely Holy, absolutely righteous, and absolutely pure and that no sin can exist in His presence. With Him there is no grey area – we are either in darkness or in light. We must not deceive ourselves; sin is sin. All the excuses we use like it is hopeless to resist sin, or bluffing ourselves that we sin no more, and even accepting that sin is not so bad, all deceive us. We must accept that we struggle with sin and only with the help of the Holy Spirit, and as we grow in Christ, are we slowly winning the battle. So, if we wilfully continue to sin, and say that we have fellowship with our Lord, we were never saved at all – we walk in darkness. We have nothing in common with God because there is no darkness in Him, and we are living a life of deception – we are living a lie.
On the other hand, if we walk in the light, we have fellowship with the Lord Jesus and fellow believers. We are members of God’s family, and by walking in the light we not only have fellowship with one another, but the blood of Jesus Christ also continually cleanses us from all sin. We know that God’s forgiveness is based on the blood of His Son that was shed at Calvary. We get back into the light by confessing our sins so that we can receive forgiveness. There must be an urgent and genuine sorrow and repentance on our part. 

• 2 months later...

.  (1 John 1:5-7)

Q. What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

A. He is a liar and will continue deeper into the dark and become insensitive to sin and thus heads to judgment and hell 

Q. How does this involve self-deception?

A. He deceives himself by giving the impression that all is well with his faith while in fact is lying. 

Q. What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?

A. We have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ washes away our sins.

Q. How do we get back into the light if we sin?

A. By confessing our sin to God

• 2 years later...

When a Christian continues to walk in darkness, he has lost fellowship with God.  He is living in darkness and not in truth. The individual is deceiving himself.   If we say we have fellowship with Christ and continue in sin, we are liars according to 1 John 2:4.  Jesus is light and if we have fellowship with Him then we are illuminating His character, love, and presence.  Walking in step with Christ leads us to be cleansed from sin and unrighteousness. Confession places you in agreement with what God says about sin and brings one back into fellowship with God.  There is no sin so great where God won't extend His mercy.  It is the cross that justifies us.  Even when we are in sin, His love is fiercely pursuing us. 

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

When we continue to walk in darkness, we lost our fellowship with God. We are living in darkness ad not in truth. Sin separate us from God. We are deceiving ourselves. If we say we have fellowship with Christ and continue to sin, we are liars (1 John 2:4). Jesus is light and we obey his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. If we claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. Walking in step with Christ leads us to be cleansed from sin and unrighteousness. Walking in the light, we have fellowship with the Lord Jesus and fellow believers. We are members of God’s family and by walking in the light not only have fellowship with one another’s, but the blood of Jesus Christ also continually cleans us us from all sins. 

Edited by Grow~Deeper

• 8 months later...

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

The result is falling away from the grace of God and finally judgement and eternal damnation in hell if we continue until our last breath. You deceive ourselves if you do this thinking God will have mercy " as I am a Christian God will forgive me....etc", living a lie , and fooling yourself, almost convincing yourself you are ok doing what you are doing. We get back in the light if we are honest and true with ourselves when convicted by the Holy Spirit about our wrong doings and repenting before God.

• 3 months later...

The verse from I John is a conditional set of sentences that show what happens under a hypothetical condition.

• IF (the condition or antecedent): we walk in the light
  • THEN (the consequent): 1) we have fellowship with one another, and 2) the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.

The reverse it true, also:

• IF we walk in darkness
  • THEN 1) we will be out of fellowship, and 2)we will not be cleansed from sin.

Scary stuff, no?  I've met many Christians who do not go to church or have any fellowship. John would say they are walking in the dark. This is easy to determine. It's harder to know if we are cleansed from all sin. 

Walking in the light seems critical, but do any of us walk in the light? Really? Do we see dimly? Does the light get brighter as we press into our saviour? This has to do with sanctification, not salvation, I believe. We "walk" after being saved. It's the process of sanctification. As we walk in His light, fellowship deepens as Jesus' blood cleanses.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

Since ‘"God is light and in him is no darkness at all." (1:5)”’ then we no longer wish to know God.  We are no longer walking in the truth of His Word.  God expects much from us, and at the same time he expects little. 

Much: Do not sin, practice self-control, Love only God, not idols, and Love your neighbors (fellow Christians).

Little: He just wants us to Love him and accept that his Son died for us on the cross, on that terrible day.

How does this involve self-deception?

We need to be honest with ourselves, and accept the fact that we are sinners.  We can choose to think that since we are “born again”, there is nothing else we need to do to enter eternity with God and Jesus.  That may be so, but is that all we truly want? We should strive for the Power and Authority that is ours, if we truly live as Christ, and walk in his ways.

We can now equate ourselves with our brothers and experience fellowship with them.  As mentioned above, accepting that his Son died for us on the cross will cause God to Forgive and Forget our sins.

Repent, and ask forgiveness.