JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Darkness and Light

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

When we continue to willfully sin we are placing ourselves in a position where it will be impossible to have fellowship with fellow believers. We begin lying to ourselves and others, making excuses for our sins..."It's not my fault, I'm just human." "God made me this way." "It's not hurting anyone." "God will forgive me." "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission."

If we crucify ourselves (to sin), it is no longer we who live, but Christ lives within us. When we take those steps to turn from the sin (repent) and ask God to forgive us, and genuinely make every effort to live right, our faith will grow by leaps and bounds, our fellowship will grow much deeper with our fellow believers, and the burden of guilt (despite all our excuses) will be lifted from our shoulders. The Lord will bless us tremendously when we purpose ourselves to stay on HIS path!

When Christians willfully choose to do what they know to be wrong, they become darkened in their thinking as they reject truth for lies. For the genuine Christian, this will be uncomfortable at first because the Holy Spirit will be at work to convict of this sin. If this person chooses to continue with the rebellion, it will require self-deception as s/he begins to justify and rationalize in order to fight down that conviction. Excuses and guilt can then begin to pile up, creating deeper and deeper darkness. Without confession and repentance, this will lead to broken fellowship with God. And this will cause estrangement with other Christians as s/he avoids facing truth.

1 John 1:7 tells us clearly that when we choose to practically live life in the light of truth, we will have that fellowship with each other that flows from fellowship with Him. If we sin, there is forgiveness, cleansing, and restoration already fully secured by the blood of Jesus. God has promised He will always forgive and make us clean again when we confess our sins. That just means we believe what He has said about the wrong and come into agreement with the truth.

Walking in darkness causes us to stumble, stub our toes and get lost! :unsure: Fear is bred in darkness, also. A Christian who persists in living in the darkness is sure to find him/herself farther away from where they want to go, because they can't find the narrow way in the dark. In complete darkness, you can't even differientiate between a white piece of paper and a black piece of paper! So how can someone walking in the darkness even know if they're picking the right way? If we walk in the light, we have fellowship with other Christians (and accountability) and will be cleansed an purified by Christ's blood. :D The only way that we can get out of the darkness is to confess that we are in darkness and ask God to turn on the light of truth to show us the way (we can't even find the lightswitch, although we keep trying).

• What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? When a "Christian" (an incorrect usage) willfully continues to walk in darkness, their heart is not in God — they are not His. Or more politically correct... their conversion is incomplete.
  • How does this involve self-deception?We deceive ourselves when we claim to be Christian, yet deliberately sin. We put off the clothing of righteousness won for us by Jesus and wear worldly clothes. We find satisfaction in the things of this world, and not in the things of our world to come.
  • What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?We have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
  • How do we get back into the light if we sin?If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkeness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? To me we are not Christian and are lying to ourselfs to think that we are if we disobey God and don't understand that we must confess all sin and turn our backs away from walking in it. How does this involve self-deception? We are lying to ourselves and aren't open to the truth because we may have a low self-esteem or may enjoy what the world has to offer. What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? If we walk in the light as Jesus did we have fellowship with one another and a relationship with Christ who takes away all our sin. How do we get back into the light if we sin? We must confess "all" sin to God as we are called to be Holy as He is Holy.

It lifted my spirit to read what you wrote. I was getting very depressed after reading through what everyone was writing. I was feeling that this isn't the Lord that I know. He was there with me when I stuggled with addiction. He didn't leave me and turn his back on me. He was right there with me through it all. I was a Christian before it happened. Yes, it was a sin that first night, but after that addiction took over immediately. I was never myself after that very first night. It took 9 years before the Lord removed the the constant craving I lived with day after day, moment to moment. And believe it or not, I maintained a sensitive spirit while I was actively using. The Holy Spirit still worked in my life convicting me of sin. My spirit wasn't dead nor did I cease to pray. I wasn't a kid, I was 37 and had never been a drug user. Given most of your comments I know what you think, but I'm not deceiving myself. I belonged to him before it happened and I belong to him now. He was with me through it all. I know this much is true, he is faithful, when a sheep wanders he goes out and gets it and brings it back. He forgives, he keeps and he loves his own. Praise the Lord!

Amen and amen!!!! :)

I believe that as Christians we become very complacent with "little sins" and love to pick on others' "big sins" - but it's all the same in the HOLY LORD's eyes! I may never abuse drugs - it just isn't part of my personality, too much of a control freak - but I have other sins that I constantly have to deal with, such as laziness and pride and "control". Just because my sin is not 'in-your-face' sin, doesn't mean that it doesn't grieve my Savior. Even if the only sin I ever committed (not that this was possible, mind you) was that I told one "little white lie", my Savior still would have had to die on the cross!

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

the conviction of the holy spirit helps you get back to him , prayer from others for you ,even though you have not had fellowship due to where you are in your sin. the lord loves you and will go after his sheep ,they belong to him , but at the same time we are refined and pruned ,sometimes it takes alot of fire and refineing to get us to see where we are ,but we come back stronger to help and heal and pray for others.......

We cannot walk in fellowship with one another if we are walking in darkness - we can make an outward appearance of being holy, but God knows our hearts. I have been reading Isaiah and Jeremiah and know that God does not condone the lies that come about by walking in darkness. What is sad is that it takes only a little bit of light, a little bit of truth to banish the darkness. We think we are doing sins in secret - but in reality God is fully aware of what we are doing, we are only deceiving ourselves. The way to get back to the light is 1 John 1:9 - to confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Heather

For a Christian that continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong is the same as someone that pull they own trigger for death. We cannot fool God about what we are doing when we think no-one can see us. If we consider ourselves as true Christian then we will not willfully do those things that are not pleasing to God. We are only fooling our self, we lie and don't know how to tell the truth and eventually that person will fall into a pit so deep that he/she will die are have a hard time getting out of. When we walk in the light we fellowship with one another because the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. We must confess our sins to through Jesus Christ and be sincere about it. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

When you knowingly sin, we by our actions have chosen to walk in darkness rather than in the Light of God's truth, and we our placing ourselves under darkness, where we can easily be influenced by a spirit of Deception. We do not fool God as he sees all and knows all, but we are really lying to ourselves and others.

The way back to the Light is to acknowledge our sin to God, to ask for his forgiveness and any other person that may have been affected by our actions and turn away from that course of action and back to the Light of God's word.

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in

> darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows

> to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the

> result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we

> get back into the light if we sin?

WHEN ONE CONTINUALLY AND WILLFULLY SINS - GOD WILL DISCIPLINE YOU BECAUSE OF HIS LOVE FOR US. HE IS A FORGIVING GOD BUT WE CANNOT KEEP ON SINNING SO GOD'S DISCIPLINE IS INEVITABLE. IF WE WALK BY FAITH DECLARING THAT WE HAVE OVERCOME THAT PARTICULAR SIN, GOD IS FAITHFULL AND WE WILL OVERCOME. 2 CORINTHIANS 12:9 "MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU, FOR MY POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS".

When someone walks in the darkness intentionally they arn't following the risen Saviour. Self deception is thinking we are following God for they consider themselves to be doing such yet they aren't in the Light. To get back in the Light we must be honest and open with our Saviour and admit we sin and repent.

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? When a Christian walks in darkness then they are walking outside God's fellowship and therefore outside of fellowship with other Christians. In other words (like it or not) they are not Christians. I suppose that means that by definition it is not possible for someone to be a Christian and also to walk in darkness, although, of course it is always possible for someone who says they are a Christian to walk in darkness, but tha person is deceiving themselves and other Christians.

How does this involve self-deception? A person cannot be a Christian and walk in darkness. It is like saying you are a vegetarian but continuing to eat meat! It is meaningless and a deception not only to yourself but to all around you. Of course, a person may deceive himself and those around him or her, but God is not deceived.

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? We have fellowship with one another and are cleansed from all sin by the blood of Jesus Christ

How do we get back into the light if we sin By confessing our sin and by renouncing our sin. By renouncing, I mean that we confess and ackowledge that sin and resolve to commit it no more.

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? They will continue to walk in that darkness until they confess their sin. The darkness will get darker and darker because His Light represents truth and only He can lead us out of darkness. Darkness canot exsist in the Light. Sooner or later we will be exposed to the Light and we will be judged accordingly. His Spirit, is an infinite and immeasurable motion, unlimited; boundless; endless and comforting, a viable source of energy and we can not surrive this planet with out His Spirit.

How does this involve self-deception? We are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. We are speaking falsely and not liveing and practicing the Truth

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? We will have true and unbroken fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son wiill removes us from all sin and guilt and keep us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations and other will believe in Him.

How do we get back into the light if we sin? By freely admiting that we have sinned and confess our sins to Him.

the conviction of the holy spirit helps you get back to him , prayer from others for you ,even though you have not had fellowship due to where you are in your sin. the lord loves you and will go after his sheep ,they belong to him , but at the same time we are refined and pruned ,sometimes it takes alot of fire and refineing to get us to see where we are ,but we come back stronger to help and heal and pray for others.......

I really like your answer- Eudora

When achristian walk in darkness ,his fellowship with Jesus and his fellow christians is severed. He is grieving holy spirit and he is cheating himself , losing his peace and joy in the lord.

To cover his faults and grieving of the holy spirit he will love to justify himself and also say to himself that "I am better than so &So""'

When we wealk in the light we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesushis son cleansing us from allour sins.

The only way to get back into light is by accepting our our faults and be honest about our sins and must hate the sin and decid not to repeat the same mistake again .

That person falls out of fellowship with God as well as other believers and may in fact not even be saved. If I have a vigorous relationship with Jesus then I am progressively growing out of the sins that have dominated my life. At some point I am realizing a transformation of my heart -- thus my desires change.

A person can deceive themselves into thinking that sin is justified in their life. James said to not just listen to or hear the word but do it. Because if you don't you are only deceiving yourselves.

When we walk in the light we have fellowship with other believers and Jesus's blood cleanses us from all sin. So we have a right relationship with God and other believers. The perfect balance.

1Jn 1:5 Now the message that we have heard from his Son and announce is this: God is light, and there is no darkness at all in him.

1Jn 1:6 If, then, we say that we have fellowship with him, yet at the same time live in the darkness, we are lying both in our words and in our actions.

1Jn 1:7 But if we live in the light---just as he is in the light---then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from every sin.

When we continue to walk in the darkness, knowingly continue to sin we are walking in disobedience with the Lord and not walking with Him. We are lying to ourselves, others and to God. We are telling ourselves that what we are doing is ok. Since God has no darkness in Him and cannot be where there is sin He can not be with us. To get past this and get back to the Lord we need to acknowledge our sin, ask for forgiveness and give up what ever it is that we were doing.

When one continues to deliberately sin when he/she knows it is wrong will eventually grow cold spiritually. They will find themselves becoming numb to the proddings and convicting of the Holy Spirit. They eventually become calloused to where it no longer bothers them that they knowingly have shut the door to what is right or wrong. When one first begins that path of sin, they will find themselves rationalizing what they are doing. "Oh, I'm not doing anything really wrong... not like "so and so.." The longer they continue in this path, the much easier it is and harder to quit.

When we "walk in the light", we don't avoid other Christians. Being with other believers is encouraging, and it lifts your spirit. But when we fail God, and are not living as Christ has told us, we will begin slipping away, avoiding those we used to love to be with, and eventually begin to find fault with everyone else, feeling as we are being picked on because we are not involved as we once used to be, and before long, we will find ourselves missing church, and having anything to do with our former church family.

Yet God's Word has promised us that if we will acknowledge our sins, and ask His forgiveness for our failures and mistakes, He is faithful and will forgive us, if we genuinely seek His forgiveness, and ask Him to help us in our daily walk to avoid going back to that same pit we just came out of.

The result of walking in darkness, willful sinning, is loss of fellowship, and deceiving ourselves that this is okay to do, and a resultant denial of Christ. We have to confess our sins and ask for forgiveness and sin no more. Praying and going to church and being with other Christians helps.