JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Witness of the Spirit

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 John 2:20, 27) In what ways is the Holy Spirit an internal Guide for us? In what ways does he teach us? In what ways does he point us to Jesus' teaching?

The Holy Spirit is a guide to us in that it is also the Spirit of truth and it teaches us the truth. It teaches us to understand the scriptures and gives us insight to discern from error. The Holy Spirit teaches us in all aspects of our Christianity. It is that feeling, and voice that gives you insight , shows you the gems, and removes the scales, giving you guidance, giving you courage, and giving you the words, helping you and comforting you. Thank you Jesus!

In John 14:26 is says that the Holy Spirit will remind us about everything Jesus have said. That is the assurance we have that through the Spirit we will be guided back to what stands as the truth in the Bible.

• 2 months later...

In what ways is the Holy Spirit an internal Guide for us?

The Holy Spirit is the faint voice I hear in my mind's ear prompting me to do, or not do, things, or to think differently about what I hear and read. I know other people actually hear an audible voice, or receive instructions that are clear and detailed, but this has not happened to me. I hear a voice that often I confuse as my own imagination. But He promises that I will KNOW THE TRUTH, and that He will TEACH ME ALL THINGS AND HELP ME RECALL THEM, and so I cling to Him so my mind doesn't go astray. He also says I have to have an anointing, which hasn't happened.

In what ways does he teach us?

I always pray to be shown what to think as I sit down to study and do devotions. Although I have no "before and after" comparison, I do believe He guides my mind. I am praying He guides me toward a purpose and calling, that I know my spiritual gift (one He will give to me) and am mature in faith enough to use it.

In what ways does he point us to Jesus' teaching?

Jesus promises to send the Holy Spirit to us. Pastor Ralph, Sir, How can I know that this important passage is for me, and not only intended for those to whom Jesus was speaking?

The anointing may not be a ceremony as much as the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life.

x

• 6 months later...

In what ways is the Holy Spirit an internal Guide for us?   The Holy Spirit helps us know the truth.  John calls the spirit “Counselor”; think of your guidance counselors from school days.  They were there to answer questions, guide us to make right decisions and support us as we grew in knowledge.  In the same way, the Holy Spirit guides us as we learn and grow, directing us towards the “right/Godlike” way to live, versus following the ways of the world and falling back into sin.

In what ways does he teach us? In what ways does he point us to Jesus' teaching?    In this particular passage, John is using the presence of the Holy Spirit in us as the way to recognize the false prophets and the antichrist(s).  He is still focused on the local (church) factions that are trying to change the true word of God.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Witness of the Spirit