JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger, Hatred, and Murder

Q2. (1 John 3:15) How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts? In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder? How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

Disappointment leads to sadness or anger. It is because we don't get what we want. Perhaps our motivations are selfish, self-centered, not useful for the other person at that moment in their life. If we do as Jesus commands we love the others first and put ourselves last, we can't be disappointed, and we won't get angry, and hatred won't build up.

But if the "truth" is only what we want for ourselves, then the above will trigger disappointment into anger or hatred. When we see the truth of the other person, we can understand why we have no right to be disappointed, and hence should forgive ourselves for not seeing the truth of the other person. We needs God to show us the truth, not our self centered interests, which are not the basis of brotherly love.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 3:15) How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts? In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder? How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

1.If we get angry with someone and hold on to that feeling rather than forgiving them and going on with our lives, the anger will fester and grow into hatred in our hearts. It is much easier to release feelings of anger than of hatred.

2. The same spirit is underlying both. Anger can grow to hatred which can fuel murderous rages and feelings

3. Prayer, Bible sudy, making a conscious effort to know them better. Remember always that God loves them, and we should too.

• 4 months later...

Answer:

1. How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts?

The moment you become angry,you already began to hate..You lost control of the situation, and your anger just overpower you..Anger and hatred goes hand in hand..They cant be separated.

2 In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder?

Most of the murder get its root in Anger and hatred..

3. How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anger can turn to hatred in our hearts when we hold on and not let go of things that are offensive to us. Anger and hatred relates to murder in our hearts because it makes us bitter and produces an unforgiving spirit within us. To get rid of anger, we have to forgive and repent, get rid of unforgiveness, and not hold on to any anger or hatred towards each other. We have to forgive in order for God to forgive us and to move forward in our spiritual growth and development. We must also remember that we too need forgiveness and we should forgive ourselves as well.

• 11 months later...

In the eyes of the world, hatred is not a very wicked thing, but God calls it murder. A moments reflection will show that it is a murder in embryo. The motive is there, although the act might not be committed. Thus, whoever hates his brother is a murderer. When John says that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him, he does not mean that a murderer cannot be saved. He simply means that a person who characteristically hates their fellows is a potential murderer and is not saved.

By forgiving those who have wronged us we release anger and do not permit it to store-up and cause destruction to us and others. Additionally, how can anyone except God to forgive them of sin if they cannot forgive others. Forgiving others prevents us from being hypocrites. Thankgiving and forgiving others cause the heart to soften and become more loving to others. Becoming Christ-like means forgiving like Jesus forgave and that is what Jesus teaches.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 3:15) How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts?

If we let it fester we can harbour long term grudges that will affect us in many ways. Even if someone so much as looks like the person we're angry with we tend to form an opinion of them without even knowing them. We also could . . . and do . . . find ourselves looking for opportunities to get some measure of revenge. God really doesn't want us to do that.

In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder?

In God's eyes if we're angry and hate someone without cause, which is what some translations say, it's no different to actually killing the person in question.

How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

That can't be done without the Holy Spirit's help in most cases. I know people who can just roll with the punches and let just about any wrong done to them go like water off a duck's back. I can't do that. I need God's help to forgive people who have wronged me. I also need His help to make them stay forgiven. In my case the people who wronged me are still actively and agressively doing it. Every now and then I consciously forgive them in Christ and ask God to bless them with good health and long life. I can't and won't ask Him to bless their businesses because in conducting business they adversely affect me. If they were doing business honestly and fairly I'd never complain and just take what comes, but in the music industry the way to get ahead is to slam and back stab those in front of you. I'll never ask God to bless any business that conducts business that way. That'd be like asking God to help a serial killer find more victims!

• 8 months later...

Anger can turn to hatred in our hearts when we are always thinking about what it was that got us angry. We keep on reiterating the anger and then it turns to hatred. The ways that anger and hatred relate to murder is that we are wishing that the person was dead. We don’t any part of that person so we avoid them. A way to get rid of stored-up anger in our heats is to talk to the person and resolve the differences. We can let them know what made us angry at them because they may not even know what the problem is.

• 1 month later...

2a)Anger can be positive causing us to act against injustice. However when we hold onto anger against another,our hearts harden and it develops into an internal bitterness in us producing an unforgiving spirit, and hatred in our hearts

.b)John tells us if we hate our brother we are guilty of murderer.The same spirit underlies hatred and murder,and changes our heart.We will be judged for our sins whether we are angry or hate our brother,or murder.In God’s eyes we will be guilty of sin in each case and will not have eternal life in us if these sins are present.

c)The only way we can be free of stored-up anger in us,is to repent of this, praying for the Lord to heal us of any hurt,if we give up our need to hate,our love for brother will grow,and Holy Spirit in us will help us to forgive our brother.This allows our Father to forgive us.We must seek to repent fully,not holding onto resentment in any way,as this prevents us from receiving full forgiveness and loving him in way Jesus asks us too.

• 11 months later...

i think our enemy satan can use our anger to his advantage and turn it into hatred. When we allow an offense to build up within us and turn to hatred, the the enemy has us right where he want us. We begin to deceive ourselves into thinking that our anger is justified. As we justify our anger, the person who offended us becomes the target of our anger. As we see them as the target, they become the source.

By allowing our anger to turn into hatred, the love we had for the person is covered. When the love goes away, our hearts are distanced from them and it is very similar to murder.

The best way I know of getting rid of our anger toward someone is through forgiveness. Many people much wiser than me have said that forgiveness is as much for me as it is for the person I am forgiving. I have heard it said that not forgiving somone and harboring hatred toward them is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick.

• 1 year later...

How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts? In what way do anger and hatred relate to murder? How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

When we have repeated anger that goes unresolved, it turns to resentment and bitterness, which I guess is a spirit of hatred.  When you hate someone, you would just as soon get them out of the picture.  That is what murder would do.   We repent of stored-up anger.   I think we also have to act in love and toward and invest in the people who have angered us.   Sort of "fake it till you make it".   Rather, obey and trust God to give forgiveness and love.

• 9 months later...

How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts?

If we feed the anger, that is, if we don’t let go of it and let it fester like a bad infection. It doesn’t take long for the simplest infraction to get blown way out of proportion and all of a sudden what many have started out as no real big deal becomes hatred so bad that it registers in the danger zone.

In what way do anger and hatred relate to murder?

It is the same spirit. The Bible clearly states that anyone who is angry with his brother or hates his brother is guilty of murder.

How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

The only way we can rid ourselves of anger is through forgiveness. We have to make a choice to either forgive or let it brew. The anger can go into hiding if, over a long time you don’t see the person who wronged you. If you haven’t forgiven the person the hate is still there. Hate is a terrible thing and its opposite, love, should be strived for.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (1 John 3:15) 
How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts? 
In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder? 

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus warned us (Matthew 5:21-22), that the attitudes of both anger and murder are the same – the only difference is in the deed itself. He warns us that anger contains the seeds of murder, and that anger can easily turn into deep bitterness and if we are not careful into hatred. Often it is but a small step from hatred to murder. 
I have found that if I forgive those who have done me wrong and also sincerely pray for them, my anger towards them subsides and eventually disappears.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 3:15)

Q. How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts?

A. Anger sustained in our hearts eventually leads to hatred

Q. In what ways do anger and hatred relate to murder?

A. If we continue to harbour anger and hatred, we cannot love and even if this does not result in physical murder, the spiritual penalty is that of murder.

Q. How can we get rid of stored-up anger in our hearts so that we may love those who have offended us?

A. By confessing the sin and asking God to help us to love the person we hate then take a deliberate step to reach out to the victim

• 3 years later...

Anger is a response that we have as it is one of many emotions God has given us. We respond with anger in many ways but we need to be controlled, and just as laughter settles when we are happy , we need to settle when we are angry and move on. It is when we harbour the anger day after day , week after week, or year after year that we develop hatred, and this is exactly what the enemy want. Don't allow this.

In the case of Cain his anger out of control, the emotion of anger developed into an action of murder. Jesus made it clear and John referred to it as well, that even if you are angry and can not move on and leave it behind , or solve it, the attitude of anger is far from love if it keeps eating away at you. This then means you are guilty of murder although it was not literally murder but in your heart.

Getting rid of stored up anger is essential for a continued growth in your spiritual life as well as physical life. Your relationship with God and your relationship with other people. The Bible makes it clear there are many actions we should keep in mind to prevent us from getting to the stage where anger , becomes hatred, becomes murder. We can start by looking at things like, turning the other cheek, if someone takes your clothing give him your coat as well, forgive continually , 70 x 7, if you brother has offended you speak to him or her in a loving way and resolve the issue, and off course ask God to help you release this anger and flush it out of your being so that it does not eat away at you like a cancer, and show genuine love to those around you.

• 2 months later...

Anger is spontaneous, reactive, verbal and transitory; hate is deliberate, long-lasting, remembering, silencing and persistent.

Hate required anger: anger doesn't have to result in hatred. Both anger and hatred occur in the head, in the realm of ideas. Murder is an act -- actualized hatred. Without hatred murder wouldn't exist. 

Getting rid of anger quickly seems to be the best solution. This is done through prayer and self-reflection, by asking God to help rid oneself of such a sin. 

Getting rid of hatred, however, is a long-term process in which God MUST be involved, otherwise it is futile. It's amazing how long hatred lasts. Little things make it bubble upward when it was thought to be safely buried. When hatred is uncovered, it's imperative to bring this character flaw and associated negative emotions to God and beg Him to help get rid of them. This is a repeatable process that takes time. It's also our only hope.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 3:15) How can anger turn into hatred in our hearts?   Anger is an emotion.  It is first felt internally.  The anger must find a safe outlet so that the emotion is reduced;  letting go of the issue is the first step to lessen what you feel.  If the anger is not vented, it becomes hatred towards the source of the original issue.

In what way do anger and hatred relate to murder?   If the anger/hatred is held inside, it will fester, putrefy and grow. If it gets to a point where it cannot be controlled, the hatred overflows, the need for action intensifies, and possibly murder is the result.

The key is to act quickly and quell the initial anger.  Several things must happen: recognize what is happening and why we are reacting the way we are, calm ourselves so we can think clearly, and seek to quickly forgive the offender for their actions.  Remember, our pent up emotions aren’t affecting the offender, they are eating at us.  If we don’t forgive, we may take action and that may lead to something we could later regret (or worse, be arrested for).