JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jacob Deceives His Father Isaac

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac? How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

This is a lesson in lack of trust and faith that God will provide/deliver on His promise and prophecy, as He spoke to Rebekah. Like her, I do not wait on the Lord, but still His will is done at the expense of my energy and frustration. how can we learn to trust God more? Of course we read the Bible and these lessons and see the consequences of good faith, e.g. Abraham, and limited faith Rebekah. She felt she had the right to deceive Issac, but she'd taken things into her own hands. Jacob followed his mother's wishes to obey her, but was this really right? It seem that is not the case, and Jacob will have to evacuate the scene to avoid the consequences of his deception. It seems like that is how my situation is occuring and I'm greatfull that God has again delivered me. Praise God for this bible lesson and for my lesson in life.

All these things are for us to learn to listen, follow and obey; there is no excuse than to trust the one how loves us the most. The rest is foolishness. As they say at my church, why not put all your money on the winning hourse in the race/game of life?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac? How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

Jacob has always been here favorite between the two boys. Now, she believes she has a right to deceive Isaac because of her contact with God. And yes, Jacob goes along with her deceptive plan. As I see it, both equally share

in responibility, but she sees her chance to lift up Jacob, since God revealed Jacob will rule.

REBEKAH WAS WRONG IN HER ACTIONS AND JACOB WAS ALSO WRONG TO FOLLOW ALONG WITH HER PLAN. GOD HAD GIVEN HER A PROPHESY FOR HER SON JACOB, AND BECAUSE HER HUSBAND WAS OLD AND DYING , AND SHE COULDN'T SEE HOW THE PROPHESY WOULD BE FULFILLED IF HE DIED BEFORE JACOB RECEIVED THE BLESSINGS, SHE TOOK MATTERS INTO HER OWN HANDS.SHE TRIED TO HELP GOD JUST LIKE SARAH TRIED TO HELP GOD WHEN THEY WERE PROMISED A CHILD IN OLD AGE.DECEPTION IS NEVER RIGHT EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY FEEL JUSTIFIED IN YOUR ACTIONS.I WONDER IF ESAU HAD A HARD TIME TRUSTING HIS MOTHER AFTER THIS INCIDENT.JACOB BEARS FULL RESPONSIBILITY SINCE HE WAS A GROWN MAN, ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS, GOOD OR BAD.

There is no excuse for deception, trickery, or lies. Numbers 23:19 (NASB)

19 "God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? It was God's plan that Esau serve Jacob - and because it was such, He would bring it to pass without any sin or deception. . .

Jacob shared equal responsibility for what he and his mother did just as we are responsible for our decisions and actions. . . Rebakah knew God's plan and I'm sure thet she shared them with Jacob many times over which also makes Jacob privy to God's will, purpose and plan for his life. What he needed to do was to wait patiently on the Lord - trusting Him to bring His plan to fruition. . . Just as the prophet Isaiah said, when we wait patiently on the Lord we find ourselves made stronger, wiser and better. . . Isaiah 40:28-31 (NASB)

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable.

29 He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power.

30 Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly,

31 Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

These are very difficult passages to explain. God did intend for Jacob to inherit the birth right; if not I do not think it would be so. But this deception? Was not God expecting faith to play a role in this scenario? Is this what God was referring to when He called Jacob Israel? I think Rebekah is greatly responsible for these actions. She deceives her husband and expects her son to lie to his father. This is truly a representation of the times in our own lives when we hear God but do not live by faith that things will come to pass. We end up trying to 'make things fit' instead of waiting on God and His perfect timing.

• 5 weeks later...

This story has always bothered me. I can't help being sickened by Rebekah. I am a mother of three sons and cannot fathom choosing one over another and I am also the oldest child, and while I am not a boy, I can understand the heartbreak of having something stolen that rightfully belonged to me. I do not understand why God did not bring this about without Rebekah and Jacob's deceit. It appears to me that Rebekah took matters into her own hands, even if it was due to prophesy, and it does not seem honorable. Are they spiritual? Yes, I think that all of them were, and all of them were human.

• 2 months later...

There is no excuse for her plan to deceive Isaac. She was wrong. Instead of waiting on God's plan, she did things her way. She chose one son over the other. Jacob bore a lot of responsibility in the deception because he knew it was wrong, was thinking only of birthright, and not integrity.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

Rebekah isn't anywhere near as old as Isaac and she was probably acutely aware that his days were nearing an end. Isaac most likely realized he was circling the drain as well so he decided it's time to bless his sons before he slips beyond the point where he's able to do that. He wants a tasty meal to put him in a good mood to bless the son that brings him that meal. Note that nothing more is written about Isaac apart from his blessing and warning to Jacob not to marry Canaanite women. He probably passed away not long after that.

Rebekah was probably afraid that Isaac had forgotten the prophecy God had given her about Jacob and Esau so she took matters into her own hands. I don't think it's a case of Isaac just deciding: Today I'll bless Esau. He'd been talking about it with Rebekah previously . . . He had to have been. They were husband and wife and a close couple. Rebekah might even have reminded Isaac that Jacob was the one God wanted to bless, but to no avail due to Isaac's age-impaired memory. She probably thought: It's now or never!

There are other accounts in the Old Testament where people take it upon themselves to help God's prophecies to fulfillment.

The very fact that Isaac trembled with rage at the deception shows that he had indeed forgotten all about God's prophecy concerning Jacob.

I'm gonna side with Rebekah on this one.

How much responsibility does Jacob bear in the deception?

50/50. Notice that he doesn't say: Come on Mom that's a bit underhanded isn't it? Rebekah would have coached Jacob on his future as he grew up. Isaac really favored Esau and I reckon Rebekah would have consoled Jacob by reminding him that one day he'd be top dog. Jacob was ready and rarin' to go when the opportunity presented.

And yes, Esau was probably really that hairy. There is a condition colloquially called werewolf syndrome where the person literally looks like the wolfman. I know it was the subject of an episode of the X Files, but it really does happen.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

I don't believe that there is any excusing her scheme. When the time came that the older was to serve the younger brother she could have reminded Isaac of what the Lord had said and most likely Isaac would have complied since he is a highly spiritual man. The question that I ponder is why she chose this unethical route to fulfill the Lord's prophecy.

I would like to say that Jacob was responsible for 50% of this scheme. I am not even sure this idea would had crossed his mind if it not for his mother pushing him onward. However, he did have plenty of time to back out and do what what right.

• 2 months later...

Jacob had a lot to do with Rebecca's plan to deceive her husband because he went along with it, eventhough he knew it was wrong because he said to his mother that he was a smooth man and his brother Easau was a hairy man and his father would kow the difference. Jacob knew the he would be a deceiver and feared being cursed (Gen 22:11-12). He also could have prayed to God. Both is parents prayed to God and most likely taught their kids to pray too.

• 3 months later...

a)It doesn’t, she was fully at fault and impatient, to wait to see prophecy fulfilled& was manipulative.

b)Jacob was obedient to mum’s instructions & bears some responsibility because could have said it was wrong. God uses even our mistakes to fulfil his plans.

• 3 months later...

Rebekah took matters into her own hands – she played God. We need to wait on God to act and not take things into our own hands.

I feel that Jacob was equally responsible.

• 8 months later...

I find that the question of “To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?” very interesting. I had not thought about it. But I was God’s plan to make Jacob over his brother and that was the way that it was chosen to do so.

I think that Jacob had a full responsibility of Jacob’s deception. Jacob was even concerned that Isaac was going to find out.

• 1 year later...

In a word...NONE!

There is no excuse for getting ahead of God. The entire incident smells of crookedness, deceit and plotting and at no point is taking advantage of the blindness of the old man justifiable. 

​The long running consequences, the establishment of separate tribes that did not cohabit well and the fear and hatred that exists between the brothers leads to long term problems. Strangely, it does serve a twofold purpose in that it sends Jacob to Syria in search of a wife as well as keeping him safely away from the wrath of Esau.

​Jacob is just as complicit in this deceit as his mother in that he, almost eagerly agrees to this course of action even though there is no way that it can be seen as anything less than cheating.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29) God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:2? 

3). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

It does not excuse Rebecca. God had a plan and God's plan may not have involved in deception and sin. Rebecca's plan introduces deception and sin into the plot and it seems that it cannot be wiped out. God does in the end work out his plan but now their are problems of resentment and anger.

​Although Jacob was not the instigator of the plan he was a willing participator. His only worry-he is afraid that if his father discovers the ruse, he will curse him. But mother reassures him.

How can a woman so treat her elder son? But remember she is Laban's sister. 

i

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think the fact that God told her that Jacob the younger will rule over Esau meant that she should take matters into her hands to effect that. The end do not justify the means particularly if the means are such that one has to trespass God's law. Jacob is equally to blame because he was presented with a choice when his father directly asked him if he was really Esau and he answered in the affirmative. I do not think just because the mother told him to deceive he should obey. Today we are told in Ephesians 6:1 that "children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right". So we ought to obey our parents in what the Lord wills. So Jacob equally bears the responsibility in the deception.

• 6 years later...
On 11/13/2009 at 4:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Everything is Gods Plan.  Everything is God's Plan.  We Will all do as he designed it.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Q3. (Genesis 27:6-29)

God had told Rebekah that Jacob is supposed to rule over Esau (Genesis 25:23). To what extent does this excuse her plan to deceive her husband Isaac?

God is able to fulfill His plans and prophecies without our crooked scheming interventions.

Rebekah's plan is not excusable. She took things into her own hands and we see the long term consequences of this.  A feud that would last. The Amelekites and Edomites  were Esau's descendants.   (Herod was a descendant and he had all the male children killed, hoping in so doing to destroy the Christ child).  

Jacob did try with bringing in different problems to thwart the scheme.  He was just as responsible as his mother, because he was old enough to make a choice to do the right thing.

This is a very good example of what not to do, for it only brings heartache and problems with it.  We might be forgiven but there are horrible consequences.